Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Noise
#391072 06/05/2010 12:33 PM
reave1 Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
I was at a local town meeting this week which had been called to address noise and speeding in our area caused by some motorcycles. The police said there hands were tighed because their is no decibel limitations to lay charges. All they could do way insure that bikes had a muffler and that it was in good working order. In your areas how is muffler noise controlled?

Re: Noise
reave1 #391073 06/05/2010 6:04 PM
Stickman Yogi
Stickman Yogi
Ya know... around here anyway, the cops just sort of let us noisy riders go!

Live to love, love to live.
reave1 #391074 06/05/2010 6:17 PM
Check Pants
Check Pants
Quote:

their is no decibel limitations to lay charges.

Are decibels measured on a metric or standard scale?

I have to go outside now

jh

"It's not what I say that's important, it's what you hear" Red Auerbach
reave1 #391075 06/05/2010 6:35 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
this is what gripes me about that, motorcycle = moveing away from or towards something or place. so when a motorcycle go's by, its just that, he is gone. But, my next door neighbor mows his lawn every wed. morning at 8:00 am on the dot and it takes him about one and a half hrs, on thursday morning the condos across the street start mowing at 8:00 am and it takes them all day to get it done(blowing, edgeing, trimming,the works) all day!!! then my other neighbor does his lawn when the mood strikes, it might be dinner time, it might be favorite show time, or morning or night just anytime the mood strikes. that is very loud noise for very long periods of time. but nobody sez a word, its no problem everybody has to do it. but let a motorcycle drive by with a loud pipe for what might be a full minute of noise is just to much for them to handle. its like some people aint happy unless they got something to complain about or they are makeing noise themselves. for the most part i think most are slightly jealous and dont want anybody doing anything they cant.they need to.. JUST SHUT UP AND GO HOME!!!!!!!!!!

ENJOY!!!!! NEWT!!!!!
newt #391076 06/05/2010 7:13 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
The only way to get a loud ticket around Fort Lauderdale (Hospital Zone on the beach excepted)
is to smart off to the cop.

Steelheart- '03 Speedmaster Black/Yellow The Hayabusa Killa 16" Shorties/140 mains/Airbox drilled Procom CDI "There is no cure for Celibacy. But we can treat the symptoms."
newt #391077 06/05/2010 7:18 PM
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
Quote:

this is what gripes me about that, motorcycle = moveing away from or towards something or place. so when a motorcycle go's by, its just that, he is gone. But, my next door neighbor mows his lawn every wed. morning at 8:00 am on the dot and it takes him about one and a half hrs, on thursday morning the condos across the street start mowing at 8:00 am and it takes them all day to get it done(blowing, edgeing, trimming,the works) all day!!! then my other neighbor does his lawn when the mood strikes, it might be dinner time, it might be favorite show time, or morning or night just anytime the mood strikes. that is very loud noise for very long periods of time. but nobody sez a word, its no problem everybody has to do it. but let a motorcycle drive by with a loud pipe for what might be a full minute of noise is just to much for them to handle. its like some people aint happy unless they got something to complain about or they are makeing noise themselves. for the most part i think most are slightly jealous and dont want anybody doing anything they cant.they need to.. JUST SHUT UP AND GO HOME!!!!!!!!!!

don't forget all the parents that let all the little neighborhood girls run up and down the street screaming at the top of their lungs for no apparent reason!

Always remember to be yourself. Unless you suck. Then pretend to be someone else.
roadworthy #391078 06/05/2010 7:44 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
In this state they have got around having to measure noise by having a law "excessive noise by manner of operation " Meaning if the cops think it is to loud then they book you and that's the end of it
Very easy for them

What goes round comes round
newt #391079 06/05/2010 8:06 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Sorry newt, but I think we've differed on this issue before.

My stance: There are some riders out there who have absolutely no idea how to ride safely, and think their excessive(operative word here, folks..."EXCESSIVELY") loud exhausts will "save their lives".

My next stance: Their "theory" is all wet!!!

My next stance: A "Moderation In All Things" philosophy not only will usually make your life more livable, BUT it ALSO usually makes for some of the best soundin' motorcycles you'll ever hear.

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
Dwight2 #391080 06/05/2010 8:30 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Yeah, but what does a greenhorn know?

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
The_Dog33 #391081 06/05/2010 8:48 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

Yeah, but what does a greenhorn know?

The "Greenhorn"!!!!

YEAH! What does that "kid" know anyway, huh?!

Hey Ian!(and sorry for the side/hi-jack here fellas), BUT I just met a guy who lives right around the corner from me here in Prescott, and guess what he has sittin' in his garage?!

Yep, a BEAUTIFUL totally restored 1938 Speed Twin!!!

(uh huh, and guess which BA.com member I immediately thought of?...uh huh...you, ol' buddy!!!)

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
Dwight2 #391082 06/05/2010 11:50 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
That is so cool, did he let you take a spin?

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
The_Dog33 #391083 06/06/2010 1:47 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Nope, but then I didn't ask.

BTW, this guy also has a perfect 1964 Norton Atlas, though he's currently got the head off it and is havin' the valve seats redone. And, he has a neat little 1966 Honda S65 Super Cub, kind'a like my very first bike, a Honda S50, but with an OHC engine.

I'll get some pics posted of 'em soon if I can.

(and kind'a gettin' back on topic here...nope folks, I didn't have the guy start any of 'em up, so no, I don't what kind'a "noise" they make, but I'll bet it's sweet alright!)

Dwight2 #391084 06/08/2010 6:46 PM
reave1 Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Thanks guys. Sounds like there is no real controls for sound. The people here are complaining not about some loud bikes but several hundred a day going past there house.
Its sort of a minature Dragons tail. Forks of the Credit. Just north of Toronto.

Dwight2 #391085 06/09/2010 10:37 AM
moe Offline
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
Quote:

Yep, a BEAUTIFUL totally restored 1938 Speed Twin!!!

omg

Blowing gravel off rural roads
reave1 #391086 06/09/2010 10:43 AM
moe Offline
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
Quote:

Thanks guys. Sounds like there is no real controls for sound. The people here are complaining not about some loud bikes but several hundred a day going past there house.
Its sort of a minature Dragons tail. Forks of the Credit. Just north of Toronto.

The AMA's Excessive Motorcycle Sound Position Statement.

Speaking of 'real controls for sound' The AMA supports a new sound test standard. excerpt,
Quote:

The SAE J2825 test is similar to the SAE J1287 test used for off-road motorcycles. A calibrated sound meter is held at a 45-degree angle 20 inches from the exhaust pipe of a running engine. J2825 establishes how to test the sound level when the bike is idle, at a predetermined engine speed (“Set RPM Test”), or by slowly increasing the engine speed (“Swept RPM Test”).

Dwight2 #391087 06/09/2010 5:31 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
ADMITEDLY Dwight there are some that seem to take everything to extreme but i dont think my sceptres are to loud but you might?? either way all i did was pass by your house and was gone in a moment, meanwhile the guy next door has been running his lawnmower and equipment all day?? i hope you see my point because i do understand yours. my thinking is that most people need to shut up and go home and not worry so much about what the other guy is doing if he is not doing anything harmfull to you and yours, he is passing by and will be gone in a moment.

ENJOY!!!!! NEWT!!!!!
roadworthy #391088 06/09/2010 6:13 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

don't forget all the parents that let all the little neighborhood girls run up and down the street screaming at the top of their lungs for no apparent reason!

My experience is they never out grow it either!

And you may see me tonight With an illegal smile J. Prine
newt #391089 06/10/2010 1:29 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Actually newt, I think I do understand your position here, however, I'm sorry, I can not fully agree with you, and mainly because the situation you describe has an element to it I think you might have overlooked.

You see, I think this issue is also incumbent upon how busy a street a person's house sits. If for instance a person lives on a street that, say, has a vehicle pass their home every 15 seconds. That would mean in an hour's time 240 vehicles would have passed that home. And then let's say just 10% of those vehicles are motorcycles, which as you know are probably on average louder than almost all passenger cars and trucks anyway. And so, in that hour's time 24 motorcycles have passed that person's house.

And then lets say that EVERYBODY riding a motorcycle down that road had really loud exhausts on their motorcycle(and in my view, thank heavens they don't) that would mean that every two and a half minutes, that poor guy or gal living in that house would have his or her "peace"(for want of a better word) disturbed, or at least MORE disturbed. And I think THAT wouldn't be "right" or "fair" to that person.(but then again, that's just my opinion)

Now this scenario wouldn't of course apply to people who live in less densely populated areas or who live on street with little traffic.

Now, I suppose you could say that that's what that person "gets" for living in a more densely populated area, or on a busy street.

But, sorry, I don't buy that argument, because not everybody can live in a bucolic environment free of stress and loud noises,and with just the occasional annoyance in which to put up with. And maybe you might also know this, but many recent scientific findings have concluded that indeed loud noises contribute to a stressful environment, and of course, the more stress, the less healthful the environment.

And so...I still just think that those few riders who I feel for whatever reason just seems to possess an overwhelming need to be noticed by running VERY loud exhausts are in effect violating the right to a reasonable measure of "peace" to others. Of course, those who run extremely loud exhausts will tell you that that's because it'll "save their life" somehow, which I still believe is an argument which holds VERY little water. Almost half of all fatal or seriously injurious motorcycle/car collision accidents(seriously injurious to the motorcyclist, that is) are due to an auto driver making a left turn in front of an oncoming motorcyclist, and another high cause is when a motorcyclist stays much too long a time in a driver's blind spot, loud exhausts or not. And..well..there are numerous causes for these sorts of accidents that I believe running a VERY loud exhaust would do absolutely nothing to prevent.

However, to get back to your stance of just "turning the other cheek", or "this too shall pass", so to speak, is to me a...well... a cop out, and an affront, though maybe a minor one, to the idea that it's "not all about me" and that the concept of common courtesy is not all that important, which I believe is quickly going the way of the Do-Do bird anyway in our society.(anybody now wanna start a thread about cell phone etiquette here, maybe?!)

And in those more densely populated areas in our country of which I mentioned above, maybe one of the reasons it often seems the concept of "common courtesy" seems to be more lacking in comparison to the smaller towns in this country, well, MAYBE just a little of that could be contributed to there being more motorcycles, and thus more motorcyclists in those big cities running those obnoxiously loud exhausts, and thus causing more stress into that environment.

(that last part is just a "sociological theory" there you understand, ol' buddy)

And so, in closing, I still stand by my above stated "credo" of: A "Moderation In All Things" philosophy not only will usually make your life more livable, BUT it ALSO usually makes for some of the best soundin' motorcycles you'll ever hear.

Dwight2 #391090 06/10/2010 2:50 AM
Stickman Yogi
Stickman Yogi
I appreciate a 'nice sound.' The tumble of a creek, the wind in my ear, the chirp of a chickadee. The hypnotic churn of a diesel running, the overtone of a propeller slicing, the guttural throb of a twin engine passing. But cha know... that creek can get mighty overpowering, the wind deafening, and sometimes I just want those friggin' chickadees to 'f' off. I like things in moderation... even moderators in moderation!! And yet alternatively, an excessive amount of riding can be quite and rather liberating!!

newt #391091 06/10/2010 5:13 AM
Learned Hand
Online Content
Learned Hand
There has been a few nights that I've been woken up by a LOUD bike, then spent the next hour trying to fall back to sleep. Yep, he only took a second to go by! There is a place and time for every thing.

'04' Black America
Dwight2 #391092 06/10/2010 7:22 AM
3/4 Throttle
3/4 Throttle
If my pipes were too loud I'd never be able to listen to music on my headphones.

Before the war on terror, if I saw an unattended package I used to think "I'll be having that!"
newt #391093 06/10/2010 10:41 AM
moe Offline
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
Newt,
I was thinking about you last night between 7:45 and 8:45 as I was tending to my lawn.

Dwight2, whew, been a while since a decent length essay from you and it seems I almost forgot how well structured they are.

Both you guys words have merit. Me? I'll buy some inexpensive land under a landing strip next to a twisty road. Then petition the local govmts to lower the ambient noise level. It is my right and I am unanimous.

maybe not. But it works out that (barring mrs waco) Ya live where ya can. With all the requisite noise. To grip about it is in essence whining about how life just isn't fair! Exercising a fleeting freedom to ride with performance pipes affords others to do the same, i.e., shut windows, turn up TV and, maybe, wave me down to offer a cold one or several.

moe #391094 06/10/2010 11:09 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Edmonton AB is passing legislation of 92db at idle 96db on throttle. Only applies to motorcycles....no other motorvehicles. Its stupid how it singles us out, as there are many vehicles on the road much higher than that.

Prior to legislation it was up to the issuing officer to decide if you were "Disturbing the Peace".

Funny story, a local news reporter went to a busy biker hangout and tested bikes themselves, and all tested over the legal limit. Most of which still had the stock factory installed pipes.

Cheers!
Ceuls

'07 SM - Ellipse Mirrors, Progressive 412's, Freak, Bub Exhaust, AI Removed, Summer Screen, Low-Pro Saddle Happy Trails!
reave1 #391095 06/10/2010 12:30 PM
Old Hand
Old Hand
That's one of the reasons I moved to NM, there are no unreasonable restrictions on motorcycles.

Let's hope there's intelligent life somewhere in space 'cause it's buggar all down here. -- Monte Python
Greybeard #391096 06/11/2010 6:05 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert

Chris '03 Speedy.
DunnSpeed #391097 06/11/2010 10:49 PM
Stickman Yogi
Stickman Yogi
WOW! Wonder what it would sound like after it sat in the rain for a while...

Keith #391098 06/12/2010 5:43 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Like a fart in the bath

Too old to die young, too ugly to leave a good looking corpse
brindle #391099 06/13/2010 1:19 AM
Stickman Yogi
Stickman Yogi
Quote:

Like a fart in the bath

Keith #391100 06/14/2010 8:54 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Many years ago I rode a HD. It had the stock pipes and mufflers and it worked for me. I did not feel the need to make them louder. I bought a new Speedmaster 2 years ago and after riding around for two weeks and hearing the busy sounds of the motor and not the exhaust I went back to the dealer and got some long TORS.

They sounded a lot better but still needed some work. I drilled a couple of dozen holes in the last baffle and now they are perfect. Not abuse nor rude like most straight thru HD pipes. Just loud enuf to overcome the motor noise and not really objectionable. The suit me to a T.

When I really get on the throttle they get louder but under all other situations are very civilized.

However I do object to the straight pipes that most of HD's are running these days. Those are really rude and abusive to my ears.

07 Speedmstr, Long Tors, bags, sissy bar and rack, windshield, engine bars, 2 ww lights, 2 fast eddy stickers and a .45 ACP.
DanCorrigan #391101 06/14/2010 10:40 PM
Bar Shake
Bar Shake
One other factor not mentioned here is that a great number of those running very loud pipes (Mostly HD riders around here) feel obligated to rev the engine whenever the bike is running but not moving, on start up, stoplights, crosswalks, in the driveway, the drive through at the bank/fast food joint etc. etc.

Now my BUBs are pretty loud when I jump on it, but I make a point to keep as quiet as possible when in residential areas.

Contra todo mal, mezcal; contra todo bien, también
bigbill #391102 06/15/2010 9:59 AM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Totally reminds me of that South Park episode(season 13, episode 12) with all the Harley guys going, "Rum, brum, brum, rum, brum, brum" everywhere they went. I'm not a fan of the show for a while now but that one was hillarious.

Chris '03 Speedy.
DunnSpeed #391103 06/15/2010 7:23 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Yeah Chris, I enjoyed that aswell

Here's the post that got me to it
http://www.bonnevilleamerica.com/forums/...part=1&vc=1

Too old to die young, too ugly to leave a good looking corpse
brindle #391104 06/16/2010 1:29 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
WARNING, LONG RANT AHEAD!!

I had only recently heard about the restrictions in Edmonton. (Only about 2 hours north of me in Red Deer) and worried it would happen here too. A buddy at work today told me that he heard on the local radio that Red Deer is looking at doing the same thing[GASP!]. I am currently running "straight pipes" but do make a point of running quiet in my neighbourhood and I don't feel the need to sit at a red light and rev my engine for no reason. I am very worried that my bike would not pass the noise restriction with my short TOR's installed either. I nearly got run off the road when I still had my stockers on and that was the primary reason to "go loud".

I do make a point of dropping a gear and letting her wind out when I'm beside some cager on the cell phone instead of paying attention...I may be crossing a line there but at least they know where I'm at...

I think it's very unfair to single out bikes on the loudness of exhaust since my bike does get overpowered by some rice burners and diesels taking off from lights not to mention the hassel of riding through the smoke cloud also (most of the ricers cars spew a little eye burning blue smoke too!)

I'm all for anything that lets me know where hard to spot vehicles are while I'm driving my cage. I think there should be a bylaw to make those darn smart cars a little noisier too!

1982 Pontiac Trans Am...K.I.T.T. in progress. "It looks like Darth Vaders bathroom in here..."
DunnSpeed #391105 06/16/2010 3:04 AM
Stickman Yogi
Stickman Yogi
Yeah Chris... I had a lot of fun with that particular SP episode too!! As for noise coming from a bike... I remember when it was sweet music coming from the tailpipe(s) of a Norton, or Trumpet or BSA. A group of straight piped 103's just ain't the same and does not sooth the savage beast!!

Night_Rider #391106 06/17/2010 1:52 PM
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
Quote:

I do make a point of dropping a gear and letting her wind out when I'm beside some cager on the cell phone instead of paying attention...I may be crossing a line there but at least they know where I'm at...

I do that too

Always remember to be yourself. Unless you suck. Then pretend to be someone else.
DunnSpeed #391107 06/22/2010 2:38 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

Totally reminds me of that South Park episode(season 13, episode 12) with all the Harley guys going, "Rum, brum, brum, rum, brum, brum" everywhere they went. I'm not a fan of the show for a while now but that one was hillarious.

For you guys who have not seen the episode:

South Park episode

Love that episode.

Black '07 Speedmaster FTW!
dahla #391108 06/22/2010 4:42 PM
moe Offline
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
That was funny. Especially the piles with the flags.

moe #391109 07/10/2010 8:25 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Guys, I just back from Calgary, and in on the radio I hear that you may be subject to tests of 96DB on the roadside.
Thats quite loud you know, Thankfully we dont have roadside tests over here yet, its only a mater of time.

NIbiker #391110 07/10/2010 11:19 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
I like to crack my throttle and set off car alarms and there is a body shop here that the alarm is so sensitive that my pipes set that off too. I don't do that one on purpose though because I know the cops get pi$$ed and start charging for response to too many false alarms. They can also get some sort of ticket for it, my mom had a problem with hers once that it kept going off and the cops told her all that.

The_Dog33 #391111 07/30/2010 3:26 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I found the following for Michigan:

Maximum Sound Level Maximum allowable A-weighed sound levels as measured from 50 feet (Sec. 257.707c): 86dBA at speed over 35mph; 82dBA at speed less than 35mph; 95dBA under stationary run-up test at 75 inches.

AFAIK, based on listening to bikes in certain towns on "bike night", cops don't do anything with that.

Dwight2 #391112 08/07/2010 1:14 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Denver Colorado ordinance just bans anything without an EPA stamp, regardless of decible level-so virtually all aftermarket pipes, including long and short TORS, are illegal.

Keep your powder dry
DunnSpeed #391113 08/26/2010 6:22 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

I saw that bike on that "southpark" episode !

hill8586 #391114 08/27/2010 7:56 AM
Check Pants
Check Pants
In PA, just North of my Maryland border, the local police were very interested in sound levels and last year set up "listening" posts and were handing out a lot of tickets. The word spread on where these spots were (they love to sit around the Ephrata/York area on Bike Breakfast Sunday's) and folks were trying to avoid them. I never got stopped, only HD guys who were running straight pipes. But, this year, I haven't seen or heard of any such stops. I guess priorities/funding changes. (no Sunday OT $$ for stop sites...)

On my America, I have lightly modified Specialty Spares pipes that are in no way "too loud" and much quieter than most HD's.

On my '66 chopper, I have straight pipes, no mufflers. It's pretty loud and raspy. But, that thing is so tiny and without some noise, the bike seems to be invisible. I don't ride it nearly as often as my America, but the folks who turn over on me or pull out in front of me is far higher than the America. A crack of my throttle alerts folks changing lanes who don't see me in their mirrors. I don't think there is a completely steadfast rule on this, but in that scenario, the pipes definitely help me avoid an accident. I am respectful with the throttle when starting and putting out of my neighborhood.

Last edited by ssjones; 08/27/2010 8:00 AM.

Al
ssjones #391115 08/27/2010 11:35 AM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
In a very controversial topic we have come to at least one conclusion.

Newt is jealous of his neighbors yard.

I try to aggravate one person a day. Today may be your day.
Dwight2 #391116 09/01/2010 9:12 PM
Second Wind
Second Wind
if you want freedom why do you move into a H O A. they are like little socialist experments to see if you will buy in. I choose a small neighbor hood 50 miles out to be free, yea I have neighbors and they hate me because I dont play the game. Because I want to be free to have my load bike my diesel truck and mow at my convienience. So at 8:00 am saturday morning if i start up my welding machine and start building something they are free to complain. and I say p**s off freely. Thier teens drive in at all hours of the night thats freedom.

I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. Edgar Allan Poe
Dwight2 #391117 09/01/2010 9:41 PM
Second Wind
Second Wind
i have straight pipes and the bike is not that loud the pipes do point down not out i doubt if i reach 95 DBs at 24 inches

I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. Edgar Allan Poe
StandingBull #391118 09/07/2010 11:41 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
I live just west of edmonton where they have this 96db law,it is a complete waste of tax payers money and police time as far as I'm concerned.I'll tell ya what burns my rump is those pick up trucks that are chipped with there extra loud exhuast and blow clouds of black soot into the air I'm trying to breath,its thoes guys and the punks who are trying to deafen you with there over powered boom boxes who should be getting tickets.But no,up here there targeting bikes.Many of the stock harleys comming out the dealership door will not pass.

marty #391119 09/09/2010 7:29 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I was riding down a freeway (under speed limit) and a coppa pulled me over, he said he was working for EPA and I had to follow him to an inspection station they had set up on the side of the road. Anyway the maximum aloud is 96db, and my D&D's got the record for the day at 114db!!! but it cost me $500 and had to get bike re-inspected to comply.

The coppa actually said to me that they only do this approx every 12 months so I 'could' just put them back on and chances are I would never be checked again (he was an old triumph rider), also I was far away from my home....

TBA, Stainless extractors / drag pipes, 65mm over forward controls, Thruxton needles, 904cc, head ported, lowered 1-inch, Console removed, relocated battery box, Australia.
Runner0023 #391120 09/25/2010 8:24 AM
Second Wind
Second Wind
sounds to me like you need to take back your governing bodies by going down to vote. throw all off them out every time till you get what you want, you bikers should stick together and let them know that you want your freedoms. or they lose thier jobs. YOUR GOVERNMENT SUPPRESSES YOU BECAUSE YOU KEEP ELECTING THE SAME A** HOLES OVER AND OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Runner0023 #391121 09/25/2010 9:55 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Quote:

I was riding down a freeway (under speed limit) and a coppa pulled me over, he said he was working for EPA and I had to follow him to an inspection station they had set up on the side of the road.

Crapp! which freeway was that? Cause I better steer clear of it. I aint drivin down there.

stevieB #391122 09/26/2010 3:53 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
It was the F5 at the truck / rest stop near Cambeltown, he did tell me that they only do this set up once every 6 months or so... I have thought about stashing some extra baffles in my toolbag

TBA, Stainless extractors / drag pipes, 65mm over forward controls, Thruxton needles, 904cc, head ported, lowered 1-inch, Console removed, relocated battery box, Australia.
Runner0023 #391123 09/26/2010 5:53 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Phew, I'm glad it wasn't the F3 cause I'm on that a fair bit and I would have to take the Old Road. What a problem with all those tight twisty bends.

stevieB #391124 09/28/2010 12:57 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I'm still not sure why they bothered with the bike noise bylaw up here? We can only ride for a few short months as it is. Those loud straight stacked diesel pickups blowing black smoke cruise all year round???

1982 Pontiac Trans Am...K.I.T.T. in progress. "It looks like Darth Vaders bathroom in here..."
Night_Rider #391125 10/06/2010 2:34 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I read that old Arnold signed a bill today regarding noise limitations on motorcycles in California.----.You know that is going to effect the rest of us throughout this country.

Last edited by Speedblue; 10/06/2010 2:35 AM.
Speedblue #391126 10/06/2010 7:28 AM
Check Pants
Check Pants
Quote:

I read that old Arnold signed a bill today regarding noise limitations on motorcycles in California.----.You know that is going to effect the rest of us throughout this country.

Great news, the Maryland legislature loves to follow CA and NY's lead.....

Al
ssjones #391127 10/07/2010 9:42 PM
Second Wind
Second Wind
only because you allowed it.

StandingBull #391128 11/09/2010 11:30 AM
What's scarey about the new California legislation is that no one seems to know what all it will cover yet or how it will be interpreted.

It's not too surprising that they finally passed something in the way of legislation. The Harley guys have been riding with straight pipes and rattling windows for years and getting away with it. My Harley owner neighbor two blocks away used to have big parties at his house and his buddies would leave at 1:00 or 2:00 AM during the week, rapping out their straight pipes as loud as they could when they departed. I can only imagine what neighbors had to say to the local police after a few of those events.

Reducing back pressure to let the bike breathe is a good thing, but making them so loud that neighbors complain is not helping our image at all.

08 America, A/I &, Calif emissions "stuff" gone, air box removed & battery relocated, billet intakes, UNI Pods, 145 mains, 42 pilots, Stage 2 igniter, intminators, 813 cams, Progressive 412's, modified seat.
newt #391129 11/12/2010 4:53 PM
phoenix
phoenix
Quote:

9;00 in the morning is a common courtesy i try to inforce for my neighbors.and we all live by that.Course theres always one idiot that can't wait.I think they start early jus to p.people off. It jus ain' right, wakin people up on the only days they aren't working.Say something Newt.you can't be heard if ya don't speak up.
that is bull s...mowing at 8, when its gonna last all day.
Man i'd be pissin and moanin, to the landlord to the point ..that he wanna commit suicide. You have rights go get-em JMHO

bob s
bsa_bob #391130 11/12/2010 5:06 PM
phoenix
phoenix
The fella next door ,sees me haul in a BA to be reworked.he comes over and sez.You like bikes i say yeah ..why???Are you gonna redo a harley next winter.he overheard me talking to my wife about it. I sez maybe. Well those are real noisey aren't they i sez yeah.but i wouldn't be causing you any alarm over the noise, He sez-WELL .I really like those glass packs on your 50 merc, and the glass packs on the 49 convert, those i like again. I thought to myself, this guys wife is complaining thru him.She loves the hot rods, but the loud harleys can all take a trip off a cliff. Go figure that one out

bob s
bsa_bob #391131 11/12/2010 6:41 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Noise is noise.
Wouldn't the world be a great place if everyone worked m-f, 9-5? ,

problem is, your ALWAYS going to have someone who works the second shift, and sleeps till 2pm.
Your other neighbor may work the graveyard shift, and sleeps 8am-??pm.
others work sat. & sun., and off thru the week.
So basically, there's just no perfect time to mow your yard.

Here in Florida, we try to get it done before the sun comes up.

erle #391132 11/12/2010 7:02 PM
Learned Hand
Online Content
Learned Hand
I thought you just ride all over your lawn with all your toys, Erle!!!

'04' Black America
erle #391133 11/12/2010 7:43 PM
phoenix
phoenix
Quote:

Noise is noise.
Wouldn't the world be a great place if everyone worked m-f, 9-5? ,

problem is, your ALWAYS going to have someone who works the second shift, and sleeps till 2pm.
Your other neighbor may work the graveyard shift, and sleeps 8am-??pm.
others work sat. & sun., and off thru the week.
So basically, there's just no perfect time to mow your yard.

Here in Florida, we try to get it done before the sun comes up.

No there isn't no perfect times for noise. but moving out in the country, brought my world back into a pleasant excistance.But i also believe , you get back what you put out into this world, therefore a lota forgiveness is do,to and from "EVERYBODY" in some shape or form.It is better to be humble with your neighbor, just keep him away from your female.

I was raised to kill your enemys with kindness.Boy has that been a job. But when push comes to shove , people in general don't like loud noises. So keep on truckin erle get-er-done before day break

bob s
Two_Wheel_n #391134 11/12/2010 8:09 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

I thought you just ride all over your lawn with all your toys, Erle!!!

I'd NEVER be THAT rude!

Do you have ANY idea what a H2 sounds like with unsilenced chambers!?

bsa_bob #391135 11/12/2010 8:11 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Don't cry, Bob.
You'll wake the neighbors.

bsa_bob #391136 11/14/2010 6:11 PM
Stickman Yogi
Stickman Yogi
Quote:

No there isn't no perfect times for noise. but moving out in the country, brought my world back into a pleasant excistance.But i also believe , you get back what you put out into this world, therefore a lota forgiveness is do,to and from "EVERYBODY" in some shape or form.It is better to be humble with your neighbor, just keep him away from your female.

I was raised to kill your enemys with kindness.Boy has that been a job. But when push comes to shove , people in general don't like loud noises. So keep on truckin erle get-er-done before day break

I just read this from you Bob, and I have to say your words are inspiring! I really appreciate your positive spin on things and the way you handle them!!! Thanks!

Keith #391137 11/17/2010 9:38 PM
Second Wind
Second Wind
appeasement, will only get you're disillusion prolonged. So offer your left hand in kindness, but keep your right on your gun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bennybmn, chy, freedom 

Link Copied to Clipboard