Next Thread
Print Thread
Alternative to Cable TV
#519077 05/15/2013 11:20 AM
ljpm Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
I have mentioned on a few previous posts that I was switching to the internet for my TV. Just thought I would update on details in case anyone else wanted to go that route. Based on being in Canada.

I was paying local cable company $75/month for cable TV and another $5-10 for rental of their equipment. I was also paying about $45 for internet from same provider.

I cancelled my cable TV and switched my internet provider from local cable to 'teksavvy' and went from 80 Gb limit to 300Gb limit for $40/month.

I had to purchase my modem and router (about $250).
I also purchased a Mac Mini ($600) although there are cheaper alternatives available.
I also purchased Netflix for $8/month and unblock-us for $5/month (unblock-us uses DNS to spoof location for netflix, hulu, BBC and other sites that insist you access from that country)

Overall savings is about $65/month (will take just over a year recoup initial outlay)

As for availability of programming.
1. News is freely available on multiple web sites
2. Movies: Netflix is better than tv movies however not the newest movies
3. Sports: I'm not a big sports fan but CBC.ca streams hockey and I have heard from friends that there are subscriptions sites where I can get a years sports for under $100. Additionally, I can still get local broadcasts with an antenna.
4. TV programing: Pretty much all TV programming is available on station web pages the day after it is broadcast on air. As a bonus if you use firefox with ad-blocker you can watch most programming commercial free. Some sites will not play with ad-blockers however on-line ads seem to only come in ones and twos rather than the 6 at a time that are put into TV broadcasts.

If anyone has any questions about the process or has come across any interesting web sites with either content or services that make obtaining content easier please post.

Re: Alternative to Cable TV
ljpm #519078 05/15/2013 1:35 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Wow!

Last time I paid for cable tv in Canada, it was about $30/month. Now it's $75? Ouch!

I don't even have a TV anymore (but do have a projector in the living room, along with surround sound!) so I save a lot right there! Although, cable tv is about $20/month here... but I really watched 3 or 4 channels out of the 100 or so... I just can't watch the typical asian show... it drives me nuts!

Now, I get to choose what I watch and when I watch it. Loving it! True, I do get the shows at least 12 hours later, but that's ok since I am 12 hours ahead of the Americas!

My new venture: http://www.voglosounds.com
perceval #519079 05/15/2013 9:04 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Jim can I block Holmes on Homes and all the other non reality cause I don't have the coin to do all those renovations shows?

I would have to wrestle the controller out of my wifes hands first which may cause certain bedtime problems.

SMJoe #519080 05/15/2013 10:32 PM
ljpm Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Quote:

Jim can I block Holmes on Homes and all the other non reality cause I don't have the coin to do all those renovations shows?

I would have to wrestle the controller out of my wifes hands first which may cause certain bedtime problems.

I hear you on that one. I was very disappointed to find out that Glee and The Voice were available on line.

Unfortunately I have found that you actually have more content on line than with cable. Most station web pages have at least 2 weeks available on line with some as much as 3-4 seasons worth.

The only down side I have found is I now have 20 min to kill every hour. It is amazing how much time is wasted with commercials.

ljpm #519081 05/15/2013 10:50 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Same here. I dumped my TV service too. I use Netflix, Hulu Plus, and stream whatever. The internet is a pretty good source if you can deal with a day late on the broadcast. The thing I love is people talk about this commercial or that and I have no idea what they're talking about. Oh the joy of almost commercial free entertainment at 25 bucks a month. I was just sick of paying SO MUCH money for FREAKING TV. It was just stupid.

Chris '03 Speedy.
DunnSpeed #519082 05/15/2013 10:56 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Wow! sign me up.

perceval #519083 05/15/2013 11:35 PM
Worn Saddle
Worn Saddle
Quote:

Blah blah blah....but that's ok since I am 12 hours ahead of the Americas!

So, lemme give you a call next year before the Super Bowl starts. We can make some serious cash in Vegas.

A word to the wise is not necessary. It is the stupid ones who need the advice. Pat
ljpm #519084 05/15/2013 11:51 PM
Stickman Yogi
Stickman Yogi
Way to go, Jim on dumping cable TV. "No TV is good TV" is how I've lived for many, many years.

Live to love, love to live.
DunnSpeed #519085 05/16/2013 4:59 AM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Quote:

... The thing I love is people talk about this commercial or that and I have no idea what they're talking about. ...

For awhile I didn't have any TV and people were talking about entire shows...

'04' Black America
Keith #519086 05/16/2013 6:41 AM
moe Offline
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
Quote:

Way to go, Jim on dumping cable TV. "No TV is good TV" is how I've lived for many, many years.

No cable TV here. Internet: Netflix, Roku, PlayOn. Over the last 4 weeks I've been around a TV oh about twice. Didn't miss a beat. Most TV programming is pathetic. The better shows are classics. The Rifleman, Marshall Dillon, MASH, WWWest, etc. Those 24 hour news channels? garbage! The likes of that big butt slu@ Kardashian? Revolting.

Blowing gravel off rural roads
Two_Wheel_n #519087 05/16/2013 6:43 AM
Second Wind
Second Wind
I have not seen anything on tv worth paying for. My life is better with out tv.and the constant drivel that spews forth for that thing. When I had tv I would flip channels over and over until I would give up and settle for some crap or go to bed.

I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. Edgar Allan Poe
moe #519088 05/16/2013 8:29 AM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
You know, when I'm in the grocery checkout line I frequently see a magazine with something about the Kardashians.

WTF are they? I'm serious, I have no frickin' idea who these people are other than they are on magazines at the grocery checkout. Are they actresses I've never seen? Do they have a television show ('reality' shows don't count...I could get one of those). WHO ARE THEY?

I know who Paris Hilton is because I've stayed in her daddy's hotels a couple times.

Smokey3214 #519089 05/16/2013 10:24 AM
Saddle Sore
Saddle Sore
Quote:

You know, when I'm in the grocery checkout line I frequently see a magazine with something about the Kardashians.

WTF are they? I'm serious, I have no frickin' idea who these people are other than they are on magazines at the grocery checkout. Are they actresses I've never seen? Do they have a television show ('reality' shows don't count...I could get one of those). WHO ARE THEY?

I know who Paris Hilton is because I've stayed in her daddy's hotels a couple times.

+1

It's not speeding till you get pulled over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqa1s4jhkQ8
moe #519090 05/16/2013 10:31 AM
Saddle Sore
Saddle Sore
Quote:

Quote:

No cable TV here. Internet: Netflix, Roku, PlayOn. Over the last 4 weeks I've been around a TV oh about twice. Didn't miss a beat. Most TV programming is pathetic. The better shows are classics. The Rifleman, Marshall Dillon, MASH, WWWest, etc. Those 24 hour news channels? garbage! The likes of that big butt slu@ Kardashian? Revolting.

That's pretty much the same set up I'm running. Cut the cable TV over two years ago! I di keep the Internet cable at $35.00 per month. I'd drop that in a heartbeat if I could find a good cheaper alternative. Aint paying for a smart phone service either. Got 1500 mins and unlimited texts for $30.00 a month with a cheap LG. US Cell prepaid, works damn well and no contracts.
I'm over paying for high priced contracts for entertainment/information.

mikemm03 #519091 05/16/2013 8:48 PM
moe Offline
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
Quote:

Internet cable at $35.00 per month. I'd drop that in a heartbeat if I could find a good cheaper alternative. Aint paying for a smart phone service either. Got 1500 mins and unlimited texts for $30.00 a month with a cheap LG.

Dang. My cable internet is $52.00/month. Smart phones and the required contracts aren't cheap, but they are the cats meow when traveling.

wunderground's mobile app is a lion's roar! lol. The free gps navigation using google maps or apples maps is way betterer than paper however much they pale vis-a-vis a garmin zumo.

Hum where was I? $35/month and you are looking for a less expensive isp provider? That reminds of the time rolling back from the Arkansas '08 Rally and asking the hotel clerk if he accepts AAA at the Star Motor Inn, 1115 S Willow Ave, Cookeville, TN (the price back then was $32.41 for the night.) 8/26/08

Blowing gravel off rural roads
moe #519092 05/16/2013 9:17 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
I never had any use for a smartphone before I got an Android. I'll never go back. In fact, I can use a free app and do away with hard wired internet, if I so chose, because my Android internet is THAT fast. I also can dispense with my GPS, compass, and all kinds of other stuff.

I just can't leave my phone at home all the time. I wouldn't write off a smart phone until I've checked out a decent Android phone. They are pretty frickin' amazing.

I'm sure iPhones are cool, too, but they always seem to come with a boatload of issues that takes Apple a year (and a roll of duct tape) to work out.

moe #519093 05/16/2013 9:31 PM
Saddle Sore
Saddle Sore
Quote:

Hum where was I? $35/month and you are looking for a less expensive isp provider? That reminds of the time rolling back from the Arkansas '08 Rally and asking the hotel clerk if he accepts AAA at the Star Motor Inn, 1115 S Willow Ave, Cookeville, TN (the price back then was $32.41 for the night.) 8/26/08

Cookeville, heck one more hour and you could have been at my place. $32.41 is outrageous, I would have only charged you three shots of Elijah Craig

Cheaper ISP provider? Well one can dream right

moe #519094 05/17/2013 10:36 AM
ljpm Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Quote:

Dang. My cable internet is $52.00/month.

Wow, I finally found something we pay less for in Canada. lol
I only pay $40/month and that is for 300 Gb data (so a pretty good package).

Smokey3214 #519095 05/17/2013 12:55 PM
Second Wind
Second Wind
Quote:

I heard on the radio them Kardashian girls were here in Houston a week or so ago, and folks were paying to see them. I dont know what they do. I never heard of a song the sing or any such thing. I got no clue why some one would pay to see them. I saw a picture of one and there are women that look better down at the local pub.

I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. Edgar Allan Poe

Link Copied to Clipboard