"Tubeless tires are more likely to have a blow out than a tube type but neither do that often. I had a blow out on my Speedmaster once, rear tire with my grand son on the back. That was a tubeless tire. I have never had a bow out on any of the tube type I have owned in 40 years of riding.I am not speaking of flat, I have had flats on both kind but full inflation to zero in a split second only once and that was tubeless.
790 has a better grind on the cams, pretty much optimal for a stock engine, 865, not so much."

"I had one "flat while going 75" but not really a blow out - on a tubeless rear tire on my storm. It was....unpleasant. But better than a true blowout. I didn't know that about the cams. More info for me to consider."

Hey Hairdoo - Long story short - either bike would be great - I've had both. When I got in the market the second time the 865 was the one that was available. Would have jumped at a decent 790 had one been available, too. One advantage with carbs is you can change pipes and jetting without fooling with the changing the computer settings on the FI, etc. My carb 790 always started and ran flawless (had it about 9 years), cold weather or hot, rain or shine - like my 865 FI.

Dog's an expert on our bikes. I'm just a rider - 50 years. I'm hoping some of the other folks will chime in with their ideas...

I notice Haymarket isn't that far from Bull Run. I lived down in Stanton for 4 years in the 60's. Shenandoah Valley, beautiful country!

John 3:16
let's ride...

1969 Triumph Trophy 500
2004 America
2010 America