So close I can taste it! grin

First off I want to thank you guys for helping me through this... the wife is absolutely worthless when it comes to mechanical encouragement! I really do appreciate all the help and advice.

Next - I tested the TPS with the carbs installed on the bike exactly as per the procedure. Got the exact same readings I did when bench tested +/- a couple ohms, which is well off what was called for. I have left it disconnected and it seems to have helped a bit.

I've also been running high octane gas through it, mixed with some Star Tron enzyme stuff that was recommended as better than Sea Foam. Thinking that it would work best if I kept things moist with the gas/additive mixture, I've been going out and running the bike for a few minutes every hour or two. Each time, it seems to run just a bit better. At this point, she fires right up first crank, the popping and backfires have gone away completely, as has the wildly erratic idle. It still idles rough between ~1000->2500 RPM, but it is significantly better than before. Kind of weird though because the idle is not consistent - sometimes it is rough, and other times will just purr like a kitten without a problem.

I actually took the bike out for a quick ride today. Well, not a real ride, but just around the neighborhood to see how she handled. As expected, the low speeds were a bit rough, but manageable. And when the throttle is cracked, she took off like a bat out of hell with gobs of power. Even though it was just a short little test run, it sure put a smile on my face.

At this point, I think I'm just going to continue running fuel additive through the carbs to see if it cleans up more. I have a brand new can of Sea Foam that will get used after I run out of the stuff I'm using now. If that don't work, then at least I know what is involved, and won't be so intimidated yanking the carbs again!

Cheers,
Brad

To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid.