Originally Posted by B02S4
There is a very long CV carb tuning thread in the Performance section of this site, which summarizes most of the carb & related tuning I did with my 07 SM 865.

Thanks - I'll go read that thread to catch up.

My best guess is the pilot circuits of your carbs are still partially occluded.

Yeah, the pilot jets are one of my concerns as well. When I had the carbs apart, they were completely blocked. I had to use a very, very thin piece of wire to unclog them and shot a lot of carb cleaner through them, but I was never really convinced I had them completely clean. I am running a tank of high octane gas mixed with this stuff called Star Tron that was recommended by a few people over at the other triumph site, so am hoping that might clean it up further. It does seem to be helping the more I run it, so hopefully that will breakup and remove any last remaining bits I may have missed.

Does your bike run with the enrichener (a/k/a "choke") knob fully or partially out?

Yes, it runs with the choke out, although at a much higher RPM than normal. The pickup tubes for it were clogged in both carbs, so they had to be cleaned out as well - but I think I did a pretty good job on those and it seems to be working as it should.

As for the vacuum leak - I put a hose clamp on the vacuum cap, which seems to have helped a bit. I ran it for a few minutes this morning and it seems to have at least cured the backfiring/popping that I was getting. I'll go ahead and replace all 4 caps just to be on the safe side.

To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid.