Well... success, kind of frown

Clean/rebuild consisted of a good ultrasonic cleaning, new float needles and float bowl seals. Pilot jets were plugged up, so I unclogged them as best as I could, along with unclogging the choke circuit and running carb cleaner through every orifice I could find.

Got everything back together and she fired right up. But... at low RPM (idle), the motor runs really erratic. Once past about 3K, she purrs like a kitten. In addition, the idle speed will bounce around almost randomly. One minute it will be idling around 1K, then all of the sudden it will spit/pop and then jump up to 2K+, stay there for a bit, then come back down.

The only culprit I have right now is I noticed a bit of gas weeping from around the vacuum cap immediately behind the cylinder jugs on the left hand side of the motor. I know that a vacuum leak there could be a cause of the backfiring, but could it also cause an erratic idle?

I also routed the wiring for the TPS under the carbs instead of between them, so it should be easier to get to that connector for testing. Could the TPS and it's adjustment be causing these problems? B02S4, what problems did you encounter when you unplugged yours (and was it a carb or EFI model)?

Thanks guys...

To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid.