Initially I did not. I placed the new one EXACTLY where the old was mounted using feeler gauges. Bike ran like new. Then I got the manual in the mail, set the pick-up per the manual, and things have gone from bad to worse. It ran fine for the first 80 miles or so, then developed a tiny "hick-up" on acceleration that was barely noticeable. I figured it was just a burp, but it increased in frequency and violence. I rode the bike today, and barely made it home. If I'm completely stopped, and accelerate, the left cylinder coughs, backfires and very nearly kills the engine. But once the RPM's get above say 1,200 and above, she pulls strong and doesn't miss a beat. I pulled over and just let the bike idle and placed my hands behind the mufflers to see if I could feel which cylinder was banging. An orange flame about a foot and a half blasted out of the left muffler, along with the sound that would put a shotgun to shame.
So far it's had a CDI that cost me $214 and a pick-up coil that was $83, and the bike is still un-reliable to ride. I'm still convinced it's ignition, but not sure what to do from here. I still have a brand new CDI that I will install AGAIN tomorrow and see what happens...Still have original pick-up coil too.....Whatever the problem is, it happens under load, being more pronounced from a stop. If your in high gear, it will cough, but not nearly as noticeable. If you simply twist the throttle in neutral, she accelerates normal. Just allowing the bike to sit and idle is very violent... Guess I'll park her and look forward to a new Thunderbird in the spring if things work out....

Last edited by b717doc; 08/27/2016 6:56 PM.