My 04 America with TORs has always popped some on deceleration since I bought it with 30K on the odometer, but the other day on a very warm ride in traffic it backfired once or twice when I blipped the throttle at a light. I checked the SC caps and all 4 seem tight with no cracks, so I did an archive search and read to check the carb to air box rubber and remove the AI. Does an 04 even have AI? I don't see any of the tubes shown in youtube videos of AI removal on FI models.

I had previously set the idle at 1000 RPM, balanced the carbs at 3200 RPM with a home made manometer, and Gorilla taped over cracks in the air box, but haven't opened the carbs to check the jets. My exhaust pipes have a light blue/violet color about 2/3rds of the way down the bend and were that way when I bought it.

First, is the backfiring on deceleration harmful? Is bluing of the pipes an indication of anything harmful? Should I be concerned about the occasional blipping the throttle pops? I use premium 100% gas, ride conservatively, get 50 MPG, and subscribe to the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" philosophy. Any advice from the more experienced will be appreciated.

BTW, I did buy a good used replacement air box awhile back - just haven't wanted to cut into riding time taking the back end apart until bad weather.

Phil in Northwest Arkansas 04 America, Black, Corbin seat, TORs, no AI, 34K