Next Thread
Print Thread
Wind Noise Discovery
#96506 09/11/2006 8:52 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I hate the noise generated by half helmets. After trying a few styles, a few ear plugs, little clip-on muffs, and a sundry of other gimics, I thought about ways to keep the straps from flapping in the breeze. My first semi-success was using goggles with the strap over the helmet straps. It was a marked improvement but still deafening after long periods. I got the idea to find a way to stiffen the strap itself without lessening the integrety of the lid. Tonight I bought some of those $2 vinyl clips that some folks put on their car doors (door edge guards I suppose). I cut one approximately in 1/2 and put it over the leading edge of the front strap - 1/2 on each side. Gave the helmet a test ride and found this to have the most effective result yet. If the wind noise bothers you, give it a try. It may or may not work with your helmet, but a a 2 buck gamble is pretty hard to pass up.

Re: Wind Noise Discovery
#96507 09/11/2006 9:33 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Wow !!! I posted about this about a year ago soon after i got my bike but no one gave it a thought. I'm suprised someone else found the same thing. I never got qaround to implimenting it. But i found this by holding my nhands up to the edges of my helmet sorta like fish gills but pointing forward instead of back at an angle. I was shocked it literally reduced noise about 80-90% while cruising at freeway speeds. but i never got around to implimenting something because i only had one helmet at the time and it was a 1/2 helmet so there really wasn't anything i could attach these "gills" to. Then i forgot about it till now, but i now have a 3/4 too.Might have to see if i can fab something, tho i really don't want to drill or make permanent mods to the helmet.

It's funny.......when i saw this topic the first thing i thought was i wonder if he found the same thing i did ! I was suprised to find thats what it was.

dazco #96508 09/11/2006 9:54 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
No drilling no clamping no sewing no mods to the helmet - just put the vinyl door edge guard over the strap. It holds it firm so that the strap isn't flapping. Its completely plyable. I DO NOT reccommend drilling 'gills' to your helmet straps - But I have considered attaching a gill like appendage to the frames of my glasses. The gills I made didn't work and they stood out like a sore thumb.

I won't say this latest try is noise free. I just say its the most bearable solution I've found. I will next try the door guard and goggle strap over top of the strap. That may help even more. These vinyl gizzmos aren't big or readily noticable. They're about 3/16 thick and slotted. The ones I found tonight are clear. I assume if I could find black they would be virtually imposible to see.

#96509 09/11/2006 10:15 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Good tip. I'll try that on my half helmet

With cold weather around the corner here in New England, I'm a few hundred miles into a newly acquired Vega Summit II flip top full face helmet. I may look like Darth Vader, but the lack of noise & wind as compared to my half helmet is pretty sweet. I ride around our small town with the lid down and no one knows my identity. That's not the worst thing that has ever happened to me.

Bucky #96510 09/11/2006 10:19 PM
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
Quote:

I ride around our small town with the lid down and no one knows my identity. That's not the worst thing that has ever happened to me.

Does everyone in your town have huge truck blinkers hanging off the sides of their bikes?

Benny Black & Silver '02 Too many mods to list Not enough miles ridden
bennybmn #96511 09/11/2006 10:24 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Troot be told, I drilled the rear fender & moved those X large LEDS to either side of the rear brake light. They operate as running & brake lights now. I had to de-JC Whitneyize & tone it down a bit. The original plan didn't quite look as I had hoped it might - a little too bling.

Next project - a 3 gallon tourtank onto the luggage rack.

Bucky #96512 09/11/2006 10:49 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
come on, I want to see a pic of someone doing "the gills"!

Bill #96513 09/12/2006 9:38 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I immediately trashed my 'gills' - er, the one that didn't blow off anyway... So ugly and so ineffective that I wanted no remaining evidence.

You'll have to get a 'gill' shot from Dazco.

Moderated by  bennybmn, chy, mert 

Link Copied to Clipboard