Next Thread
Print Thread
being preemptive
#590481 11/06/2017 10:11 AM
mag10 Offline OP
Learned Hand
OP Offline
Learned Hand
after reading all the posts a few months back about more failed starter bosses, and becoming increasing paranoid about mine breaking, I decided to do something about it.

no problems getting the kit from TTP/FES and a gasket from the dealer and installing it. Easy. that was last weekend.

then I started looking around in there. I was thinking maybe time to replace the clutch springs (I had upgraded them when I did the BB ten years ago). Digging further, the clutch plates looked a little abused. So I ordered a Barnett kit to upgrade the whole thing.
that left more down time to keep noticing things. there was some fretting on the shifter shaft from it rubbing on the cover. So new bearing and seal. Easy right? well the seal comes out easy. The little needle bearing, not so much. In spite of the manual stating simply 'remove bearing'. it is pressed in to a shoulder and had to be ground out. Fun.

Now forward yesterday and all the parts have arrived, me thinking, time to put it all back together and put the bike away for the winter.
I had cleverly not removed the clutch plates from the basket so as to have the correct sequence for the new ones. After removing the plates and the inner drive hub, I noticed some wear on the back (it is a aluminum casting with a steel insert. So I figure I will just throw it in the lathe and clean up the wear surface. While prepping to do the machine work I am getting all the oil off the part. That is when I notice a small crack running off the edge of one of the spring counter-bores. After spraying some die penetrant onto it, I now see 5 cracks and one runs right across the hub and up the side.
Can't put it back together like that, now searching for that inner hub, which will not be cheap.

so much for being preemptive.

05 speedmaster - 1100cc, 11:1 racing pistons, Carillo rods, thunderbike cams, ported and polished head, 2mm over intake and exhaust valves, Barnett kevlar clutch, scepter pipes, oversize manifolds, 45mm HSR's, TTP stage 4 firestarter
Re: being preemptive
mag10 #590482 11/06/2017 3:44 PM
Fe Butt
Online Content
Fe Butt
Nah, still good preemptive work, better now than wait for it to grenade do much more damage in all likelyhood.

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
mag10 #590483 11/07/2017 3:33 AM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Quote:

after reading all the posts a few months back about more failed starter bosses, and becoming increasing paranoid about mine breaking, I decided to do something about it.

no problems getting the kit from TTP/FES and a gasket from the dealer and installing it. Easy. that was last weekend.

then I started looking around in there. I was thinking maybe time to replace the clutch springs (I had upgraded them when I did the BB ten years ago). Digging further, the clutch plates looked a little abused. So I ordered a Barnett kit to upgrade the whole thing.
that left more down time to keep noticing things. there was some fretting on the shifter shaft from it rubbing on the cover. So new bearing and seal. Easy right? well the seal comes out easy. The little needle bearing, not so much. In spite of the manual stating simply 'remove bearing'. it is pressed in to a shoulder and had to be ground out. Fun.

Now forward yesterday and all the parts have arrived, me thinking, time to put it all back together and put the bike away for the winter.
I had cleverly not removed the clutch plates from the basket so as to have the correct sequence for the new ones. After removing the plates and the inner drive hub, I noticed some wear on the back (it is a aluminum casting with a steel insert. So I figure I will just throw it in the lathe and clean up the wear surface. While prepping to do the machine work I am getting all the oil off the part. That is when I notice a small crack running off the edge of one of the spring counter-bores. After spraying some die penetrant onto it, I now see 5 cracks and one runs right across the hub and up the side.
Can't put it back together like that, now searching for that inner hub, which will not be cheap.

so much for being preemptive.

"There was an old lady who swallowed a fly...."
I'm prone to going down this road myself.....before you know it, you've done a complete restoration.

I took the Road Less Travelled. Now where the ****** am I?
Alatamoc #590484 11/29/2017 3:16 PM
mag10 Offline OP
Learned Hand
OP Offline
Learned Hand
all the parts came in and between hunting and the holiday, I got it back together last week . Oil in and waiting for spring to try it out.

always fun having a big gap in time between taking something apart and putting back together!

I now also have a very nice homemade pin spanner for holding the clutch basket.

05 speedmaster - 1100cc, 11:1 racing pistons, Carillo rods, thunderbike cams, ported and polished head, 2mm over intake and exhaust valves, Barnett kevlar clutch, scepter pipes, oversize manifolds, 45mm HSR's, TTP stage 4 firestarter
mag10 #590485 11/30/2017 1:00 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Good planned maintenance will keep you running instead of stopped by the side of the road. Sure is annoying to find this kind of stuff.

mcfcinusa #590486 11/30/2017 1:41 PM
Fe Butt
Online Content
Fe Butt
Better to find it by looking rather than a failure on the road though.

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
mcfcinusa #590487 12/20/2017 8:43 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Nothing like having some "Peace of Mine" after doing all that work.

12 Rocket Roadster
03 Bonneville America
69 BSA Firebird Scrambler
73 Yamaha TX 750

Moderated by  chy, Dinqua, freedom 

Link Copied to Clipboard