Next Thread
Print Thread
Left hand turners
#579555 07/11/2016 11:54 PM
b717doc Offline OP
Learned Hand
OP Offline
Learned Hand
110 mile trip from North Georgia to home yesterday on my 2005 America, had 3 different people turn, or attempt to turn in front of me, 2 being close enough for my heart to skip a beat and scare the fajitas out of me....not sure what to do except ride 35 mph wherever I go...Starting to want to say "screw this", it's not worth it!

Re: Left hand turners
b717doc #579556 07/12/2016 11:17 AM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
You have been riding too long so now have started to think about things. Two types of riders, those that have been down and those that are about to go down.

After I witnessed my son's 8 broken bones and a traumatic brain injury in 2012 (he is fine now) I started riding less and less and not having nearly the fun.

Only you can decide but maybe your brain is telling you something. These are the times when your cheerleaders tell you to block it out and your friends tell you if you typed that post, it is probably time.

I try to aggravate one person a day. Today may be your day.
satxron #579557 07/13/2016 1:19 AM
Worn Saddle
Worn Saddle
Sad but true. I gave up riding totally for about three years after nailing my first deer. And only got back on accidentally. Now I'm counting on years of experience and slower riding to save my dumb butt. I've put double the miles each of the last two years from my past averages. And if anything ever happens to my wife, I'll probably quit working and just ride the bike around and around the country, robbing gas stations for food and fuel.

Fidelis et Fortis
satxron #579558 07/14/2016 11:43 AM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
Quote:

You have been riding too long so now have started to think about things. Two types of riders, those that have been down and those that are about to go down.

After I witnessed my son's 8 broken bones and a traumatic brain injury in 2012 (he is fine now) I started riding less and less and not having nearly the fun.

Only you can decide but maybe your brain is telling you something. These are the times when your cheerleaders tell you to block it out and your friends tell you if you typed that post, it is probably time.

Lots of lights up front, whole lots of lights. LED Highbeam head light, very bright LED running lights, yellow LED turn signals always on that go off to blink two on each side. Total of seven lights on front and three LED in back that all go bright and flash when I brake. They may hit me but they cannot say they couldn't see me.

We all like to think of ourselves as rugged individualists. But when push comes to shove most of us are sheep who do what we are told. Worst of all, a lot of us become unpaid agents of whoever is controlling the agenda by enforcing the current dogma on the few rugged individualists who actually exist.
1 member likes this: VABird
ladisney #579559 07/16/2016 10:30 PM
Saddle Sore
Saddle Sore
I like to say that they is two kinda riders, them what has done crashed, and them that ain't done crashed.
I has been ridin since I was 10 or so, and ain't crashed yet, and don't aim too neither.

Drivin a truck taught me to see the big picture and be proactive, and a dose of humility helps, too when you is a little rabbit in a bunch of big dogs.

2005 Model . Two Fast Eddy stickers , a bell and a clock . She's Lola . She tinkles and keeps time . http://s649.photobucket.com/albums/uu211/britbike05/
Wade #579560 07/17/2016 11:21 AM
Ryk Offline
Check Pants
Check Pants
And then there is the Kamikaze Deer, you'll never look at Bambi the same again.

b717doc #579561 01/24/2017 8:15 PM
Old Hand
Old Hand
The French had just the thing. They bought up a lot of 105MM recoilless rifles from the US army and mounted them on Vespas. I used to have a picture, but that was about 4 computer crashes ago.

Let's hope there's intelligent life somewhere in space 'cause it's buggar all down here. -- Monte Python
Greybeard #579562 02/12/2017 1:05 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
I installed a headlight modulator to get the attention of left hand turners and people entering or crossing the road from the right. It seems to attract attention and only one cop pulled me over so far.

SMJoe #579563 02/19/2017 2:22 AM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
Quote:

I installed a headlight modulator to get the attention of left hand turners and people entering or crossing the road from the right. It seems to attract attention and only one cop pulled me over so far.

Being seen is the best way to avoid those idiots who pull in front of you. But, I find the headlight modulator particularly obnoxious. I had one behind for for several miles last year and the WC Fields road hog bit came to mind.

We all like to think of ourselves as rugged individualists. But when push comes to shove most of us are sheep who do what we are told. Worst of all, a lot of us become unpaid agents of whoever is controlling the agenda by enforcing the current dogma on the few rugged individualists who actually exist.
ladisney #579564 02/28/2017 9:02 AM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Quote:

Quote:

Being seen is the best way to avoid those idiots who pull in front of you. But, I find the headlight modulator particularly obnoxious. I had one behind for for several miles last year and the WC Fields road hog bit came to mind.

someone is bound to pull out in front of, or turn across you no matter what you do. they are too busy with activities other than driving to really pay attention to on coming traffic.

talk to any truck driver and you will get the same stories as here. If they don't see the semi coming, they sure as hell will not see a motorcycle.

I do agree that extra lights, especially the LED type and headlight modulators all help (because they are annoying) but the only real defense against a clueless driver turning in front of you is a rocket launcher capable of clearing the field.

Short of that, you just have to assume the worse and ride accordingly.

05 speedmaster - 1100cc, 11:1 racing pistons, Carillo rods, thunderbike cams, ported and polished head, 2mm over intake and exhaust valves, Barnett kevlar clutch, scepter pipes, oversize manifolds, 45mm HSR's, TTP stage 4 firestarter
mag10 #579565 02/28/2017 3:57 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
We lost a rider here yesterday by some jacka$$ pulling out from a stop sign to turn left without looking.

Mark College Station 13 America
mag10 #579566 03/02/2017 9:46 AM
Saddle Sore
Saddle Sore
Quote:

talk to any truck driver and you will get the same stories as here. If they don't see the semi coming, they sure as hell will not see a motorcycle.

Sad about the rider that got killed. All lives matter.
People's brains get short circuited sometimes I think. I have had folks pull out in front of me in my big ole Ford LT9000 dump truck while looking right at me. One was a school bus loaded with kids, had to take the shoulder, one was an old man, he disappeared under my bug shield , on and on. Always be ready to leave this world if your name is called.

2005 Model . Two Fast Eddy stickers , a bell and a clock . She's Lola . She tinkles and keeps time . http://s649.photobucket.com/albums/uu211/britbike05/
Wade #579567 07/02/2017 4:07 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
All of this is the main reason my speedmaster has so few miles. Street riding had always brought along a level of uneasiness for me. I'm certainly much more comfortable as my skill has increased ... but the lack of attention of motorists is only getting worse. And for some reason, our society isn't seeming to see an issue with inattentive driving ... instead thinking we'll solve everything with driverless cars.

But I digress.

I've been fortunate to be able to spend a lot of time on the track instead. I much prefer a weekend at the track over on the street (unless it's riding around with this crew of course!). Much safer and I can't begin to express how much of a better rider the track makes you.

With that said. It will always be worth it. And I will always ride on the street ... just maybe not a lot. :-)

Last edited by jackshakes; 07/02/2017 4:08 PM.

07 Speedmaster
14 Daytona 675R

Facebook
My Bikes
jackshakes #579568 07/03/2017 11:22 PM
Saddle Sore
Saddle Sore
they don't yack on them cell phone when they on the track

Wade #579569 07/05/2017 9:53 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Just curious, but do you ride w/ your high beam on during the day or auxiliary lights?

2009 America
MarcellusWallace #579570 07/11/2017 8:41 AM
Saddle Sore
Saddle Sore
During the day I run every light I have. I have these mantra things I live by when riding (see number three)
1. Get the big picture
2. Leave yourself an out
3. Make sure they see you
4. Keep your eyes moving.
5. Don't trust Whitey
6. Don't get high on your own supply
7. On infinitum ad nauseum

MarcellusWallace #579571 09/01/2017 10:26 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
I ride with lots of light (high beams on), lots of noise and try to be super defensive in town where most of the crazies frequent . At least on the highway, most drivers are headed in the same direction as you.

12 Rocket Roadster
03 Bonneville America
69 BSA Firebird Scrambler
73 Yamaha TX 750
Gregger #579572 09/01/2017 1:28 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Here in good ole Kalifornia, riding/driving (like most of you have mentioned) has gone from bad to crazy. I too, along with the wife, have reduced our time on our Triumphs. Even riding in groups, is not safe due to cages merging threw the middle of our group rides. Where is the best place to move, for reduced crazy traffic problems? So I can look like this again,

HabuBA #579573 09/01/2017 5:27 PM
Worn Saddle
Worn Saddle
Quote:

Where is the best place to move, for reduced crazy traffic problems? So I can look like this again,

Hmmm..., that is a good question. I WOULD say Iowa but we just scored in the top ten for rude drivers in a new safety poll I read. Even if you could find a place with fewer drivers, that would probably be a state with MORE deer! (Or moose, or armadillos, or whatever)

Fidelis et Fortis
HabuBA #579574 09/03/2017 5:39 PM
Ryk Offline
Check Pants
Check Pants
Quote:

Here in good ole Kalifornia, riding/driving (like most of you have mentioned) has gone from bad to crazy. I too, along with the wife, have reduced our time on our Triumphs. Even riding in groups, is not safe due to cages merging threw the middle of our group rides. Where is the best place to move, for reduced crazy traffic problems? So I can look like this again,

SW Washington State, lots of long winding, extremely clean and smooth roads and you pretty much own many of them on weekdays.

satxron #579575 06/27/2018 8:39 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

Glad to hear your son is fine. Idunno what possesses people to have brain flatulations, not that i am immune to them. Maybe we just see it and being on a bike stokes our emotions. Semi busy intersection, cars turning left in front of me, and they see me right there with a couple of car lengths room. A woman with her daughter still has to get in there. Not looking left to see the traffic stopped in the intersection, she gets stuck in my lane i had to stop for her at my green light. I just yelled out "are you serious!?" so she and her daughter (i assume) heard me. And we wonder why kids are worse than ever. Fine teachers like this. Every year more people pass into our lanes with double lines down the middle forcing people with the right of way to slow for them. Methinks drivers ed should be mandatory now.

06 in Mulberry. AI, Dunstalls, Nology coils, TTP Keep your faith in God, but keep your powder dry. -Oliver Cromwell
Wade #579576 06/27/2018 9:13 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

Quote:

Sad about the rider that got killed. All lives matter.
People's brains get short circuited sometimes I think. I have had folks pull out in front of me in my big ole Ford LT9000 dump truck while looking right at me. One was a school bus loaded with kids, had to take the shoulder, one was an old man, he disappeared under my bug shield , on and on. Always be ready to leave this world if your name is called.

Oh man, that had to be tough bro. Sorry to hear. Similar to your experience but with far better results, i had a car coming at me pass a couple vehicles over a double solid slowed for a car turning into a business heading towards an intersection where i was oncoming and there were pedestrians on my shoulder ahead. All i could do was lay on the horn to warn the peeps walking and jump on the binders. I was just gonna eat the oncoming car. Fortunately the car got back in line. There is a Smith's rule for driving that we all should be taught, not just truckers:

It operates on 5 key principles:

Aim High In Steering. Look at least 15 seconds into your future, not just at the vehicle in front of you.
Get the Big Picture. Look for hazards. ...
Keep Your Eyes Moving. Don't stare. ...
Leave Yourself an Out. Monitor the space cushion around you.
Make Sure They See You. Use your signals.

Then there's today's unwritten rules if anyone would like to add:

The first is easy. Screw you it's all about me.

06 in Mulberry. AI, Dunstalls, Nology coils, TTP Keep your faith in God, but keep your powder dry. -Oliver Cromwell

Moderated by  chy, freedom, mert 

Link Copied to Clipboard