by Feral, November 28
GaRally22
GaRally22
by chy, September 18
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: IT's THROTTLE POSITION - NOT RPM! NOT SPEED!!
Bluesbass #53731 06/12/2007 4:24 AM
Complete Newb
Complete Newb
Quote:

Phil,

I'm hardly the expert around here but no one seems to be answering your question so I thought I'd jump in with my tuppence worth.

The head mech for the old Trump site here in Buffalo just pulled out of the driveway half an hour ago with my bike to do the 20k check up and other work. We got talking. He told me that the difference between the Mobile T-1 or whatever it is that Triumph demands we put in our bike and the "non-Triumph" Mobil equivalent, is the sticker on the bottle. It's marekting hype; same oil exactly. Anyhow, I've been using Valvoline 4-stroke oil for over two years now and I get better transition between gears than I did with the Mobile stuff and at $4.00 a quart too.

As is the case with a lot of the stuff I've done to my bike, Gary James is my reference. He says he went and did the research and it specs out as good or better than the recommended Mobil stuff. I tend to take people at their word if they throw it in their bike too and if there's an anal retentive guy out there that beats Gary for attention to these kinds of detail, I haven't met him yet. So anyhow, I use the Valvoline 4-stroke 10W-40 (I don't have a bottle sitting around but I think the Prod. # is VV 740) in the early season and to clear out the grunge from the bike sitting. Then after about a month of riding, I swap it out for the 20W-50. (Prod. # VV 743) Also, in both cases, I substitute half a quart of Lucas Oil Treatment for half a quart of the oil.

Hope this is useful.

BB

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=76

hi ya guys the book that came with my bonnie merica says use 10w40 semi synthetic oil such as the stuff that costs £25 for 5 litres and comes from halfords bog standard motorcycle oil. saying that though i`ve had car oil in the bike for the last year and its still fine not quite black yet still brown so it can stay there. I think you guys must beto used to riding harleys as you dont need to keep dicking around with these modern and engineered british motorcycles. they just keep going( I abuse my bonnie on a daily basis)

cheers strange

caspian blue 03 bonnie tba
Soren #53732 08/29/2007 5:16 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

When the throttle is posistioned on the left handle bar, the motor is running about 4500 rpm and I am in 3 gear, what jets do I use? Do I need to change jets when I use 89 octane, the motor is running at 5000 rpm in 4th gear and going 65 mph headed west into the wind? Sometimes when I am flying to Alaska or Chicago, I have to change jets in Seattle or Mineapolis. But they won't let me take needles on those jets much less change them. Do I really need shins on my needles? I have shins on my legs, sometimes I bump them and it can hurt. I have never tried to pull a vacuum with my bike, does that mean I can't coast down hill on the red line? I hope not because all the lines on the roads are either white or yellow. The pressure I usually get is when they tell you at work tomorrow what they tell you what they want done yesterday. When that happens, what jets should I use? Because it appears to me that the throttle is still positioned on the right handle bar grip and I don't think I should change that. Or should I?
Soren

Holy crap soren this answer was great!!!! I laughed my asss off

Erwin 05 America
Erwin #53733 08/29/2007 5:44 PM
Dinqua Offline OP
Worn Saddle
OP Offline
Worn Saddle
Yea, funny guys alright, funny looking....

A word to the wise is not necessary. It is the stupid ones who need the advice. Pat
Dinqua #53734 09/22/2007 10:56 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Could you please explain this throttle position thing again for me. I am a little confused as to how it really relates to speed and rpm.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

2003 Speedmaster I won't rise to the occasion, but I'll slide over to it.
okiebob #53735 10/30/2007 4:21 PM
From what i have been able to learn here...even through the sarcasm ... is that throttle position(1/8th turn, 1/4 turn, 1/2 turn, WOT) is not relevant or relative to speed or RPM when measuring performance(HP/Torque)BUT how well the fuel to air mixture happens in the carb. Basically what you are looking at is the ability to consistently generate the proper mixture so you can take advantage of it at any speed or rpm... I think that's it anyway

Ralph Muro '06' TBA / Tach / Freak / BUB Slash Cuts / TBS Needles with shims / 150 jets / 45 pilots / 440s / Rivco Risers / Corbin Solo / Dresser Bars / CHROME...CHROME...CHROME...
greentp99 #53736 10/30/2007 8:02 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Quote:

From what i have been able to learn here...even through the sarcasm ... is that throttle position(1/8th turn, 1/4 turn, 1/2 turn, WOT) is not relevant or relative to speed or RPM...

Correct

Quote:

...when measuring performance(HP/Torque)BUT how well the fuel to air mixture happens in the carb. Basically what you are looking at is the ability to consistently generate the proper mixture so you can take advantage of it at any speed or rpm... I think that's it anyway

Yes, but why (or rather, how) is the question. Measuring the throttle position allow you to target the specific components of the carburator system. The carbs deliver fuel through a series of point. Closed throttle to about 1/4 throttle is mostly the pilot system, 1/4 to 1/2 is mostly the needle jet, 1/4 to 3/4 is the jet needle, 3/4 to WOT is the main jet.

The reason for using throttle position is to isolate the individual parts of the fuel delivery circuit for tuning to maximum efficiency.

Here is a pretty good web page....http://www.dansmc.com/carbs2.htm

Clear as mud?

2002 Bandit 1200/ GSXR cams/ 1277 BB Kit/ Holeshot header and can/ 38mm flatslides/ a good head/lotsa hp/lotsa tq- lots of rear tires...
Dinqua #53737 12/07/2008 9:42 PM
moe Offline
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
Quote:

Arrrrghhhh!
I don't mind answering questions at all, don't misinterpret this, but read read read!

I must get 4-5 emails everyday asking the same general questions...."What jets at this rpm? What jets at this speed??? My bike runs bad when I am in 5th gear??"

Setting up carbs is done by using the throttle position! DO NOT use a specific RPM range or a certain speed. They will do nothing but get you confused and possibly into trouble.

Read this CVK Tuning guide (same as ours but a larger carb - STILL the same) AND the Mikuni Tuning Guide for reference on how to actually use the throttle with small pieces of tape for markers.

It's not rocket science (unless you want it to be). If I can do it, so can anyone else just by following the steps outlined in these pages.

Throttle position is the secret!

Ok, rant over, and it's beer thirty.

This CVK Tuning guide (same as ours but a larger carb - STILL the same) is dead.

This mud_dog450 is alive.

this is not Thu Apr 13 2006 07:16am: this is beer thirty for all yous throttlepostitionmeisters.

Blowing gravel off rural roads
moe #53738 12/07/2008 9:51 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
OK...so...I've completely lost track of all the people I used to love chatting with here because I'm lame and just don't get here anymore the way I used to...and out of nowhere I get a reply in my inbox to a post I just KNOW I read ... like... a LONG time ago. Do we really have to teach the newbies about the deadthreads and archive? And this is supposed to be the computer savvy generation? Jeesh

BB

Patriotism: Supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it. M. Twain
moe #53739 12/07/2008 9:52 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
And...Moe...nice to hear / see your name again. BB

Patriotism: Supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it. M. Twain
Bluesbass #53740 12/07/2008 10:00 PM
Worn Saddle
Worn Saddle
I love this site for various reasons. This thread brings to mind two. The plainly funny fellas and their good natured ribbing, and the fact that I can learn just enough here to know I'm never gonna understand some of the mechanics of my new America so I'm gonna continue to really like the mechanics of my old Triumphs. You guys are a hoot.

Fidelis et Fortis
Bluesbass #53741 12/08/2008 7:59 AM
moe Offline
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
BB,

every time i see horse manure in the road i think of Mennonites,...and you. jeez some association huh? keep on rocking brother.

Blowing gravel off rural roads
moe #53742 12/08/2008 6:09 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Moe,

Heheh...and I presume I should be thanking you for this compliment?

BB

Dinqua #53743 04/22/2009 1:51 PM
Freelance Jedi Knight
Freelance Jedi Knight
links not working

Grzegorz ......55 cubic inches http://www.flickr.com/photos/25172906@N06/ 904WisecoTPUSAcamsTTPignitorgutted Airbox"breath"airIntakeKeihinCR-ScarbsBlackEpcoExhaustS/SwheelsPortedPolishedHead
Grzegorz #53744 04/25/2011 8:40 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
When I adjust my throttle position i.e. twist it, the bike revs go up and it speeds up. When I let it go the revs decrease and it slows down.

'06 TBA - Black, AI and Snorkel removed, K&N Drop In, Gutted Stock Pipes, 145/42, 2 turns out.
lylesdo #53745 01/06/2013 3:43 AM
My wife tells me to stay away from the carbs,
And have more protein

pete57 #53746 06/15/2014 8:11 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

My wife tells me to stay away from the carbs,
And have more protein

LIke it, Pete. So is your bike older than an 07? To load up on protein I convince myself everything tastes like chicken.

06 in Mulberry. AI, Dunstalls, Nology coils, TTP Keep your faith in God, but keep your powder dry. -Oliver Cromwell
luvdemstillers #53747 06/25/2014 4:36 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
this has always buggered me up, i think the hardest part for me was figuring things like. Ok throttle position, so if i am doing 120 kmph in 5th at 4krpm i am likley only using less then 1/3rd throttle or so, my issue with tunign has always been that 1/4 to 3/4 throttle part, i mean the pilot and air/fuel as well as the main at WOT is somewhat easier to figure out. The rest? man you could chase that for a while.

2007 Speedmaster and miss it! 2013 T-Bird Storm and Luvin it! Catching a yellow jacket in your shirt at 70 mph can double your vocabulary
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  chy, Dinqua, freedom 

Link Copied to Clipboard