Next Thread
Print Thread
e-15 response from my senator
#500204 08/30/2012 6:35 PM
Second Wind
OP Offline
Second Wind
Dear Friend:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the decision by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to increase the amount of ethanol blended with gasoline. I welcome your thoughts and comments.

In 2011, the EPA approved an increase from 10 percent to 15 percent ethanol blend (known as "E15") for cars and light trucks after the model year 2000. E15 is currently barred from use in light equipment and vehicles built prior to 2000. Despite credible concerns from food producers, auto manufacturers and oil refiners that the American consumer could be physically and/or economically harmed by an increase from E10 to E15, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit recently dismissed a legal challenge to the EPA's planned expansion of ethanol use to light equipment and vehicles.

Many concerns about the ethanol blend mandate have emerged. Coupled with the devastating drought in corn-producing areas, I am troubled by the possible magnitude of the higher food and fuel prices in coming months that will be driven by corn crop failure. In addition, there remain unresolved concerns about the effects of E15 on smaller motors. Unless risks of engine damage are fully understood, consumers could be stuck with hefty repair bills, affected industries could be damaged, and serious consumer safety issues could arise.

I believe that it would be irresponsible for the EPA to impose its expanded ethanol mandate without fully understanding its impacts. Although such legislation would seem to have little chance of passing the Senate, please be assured that I support legislative action, legal appeal, or EPA policy reversal in order to head off the impending E15 mandate.

I appreciate hearing from you, and I hope that you will not hesitate to contact me on any issue that is important to you.

Sincerely,

Kay Bailey Hutchison

United States Senator

284 Russell Senate Office Building

Washington, DC 20510

I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. Edgar Allan Poe
Re: e-15 response from my senator
StandingBull #500205 08/30/2012 6:53 PM
New Tires
New Tires
Good form letter, at least it's up to date with the issue. She also agrees with you. One of the things that pols do is have several form letters on an issue. One for those they agree with, one vague for those that disagree with their position.

Sometimes the best way to actually find out what they think is to not tip your hand or lie. Although, I could have predicted her response. Sadly I believe she is retiring, always been a class act.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. H. L. Mencken
MACMC #500206 08/30/2012 6:54 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
I will gladly swap Senators with you...

B02S4 #500207 08/30/2012 8:18 PM
New Tires
New Tires
Quote:

I will gladly swap Senators with you...

You want Mine? She's running from the ******* at light speed.

Last edited by MACMC; 08/31/2012 6:45 PM.
MACMC #500208 08/30/2012 8:53 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

...You want Claire? ...

B02S4 #500209 08/30/2012 9:05 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Form or not I like that response better than the one I got.

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
StandingBull #500210 08/30/2012 10:14 PM
Old Hand
Old Hand
Something that bothers me is that bio diesel is forbidden for use in diesel vehicles made after 2007, and that includes certain '07 models. Now, I am OK because my truck is cleared for up to B15, but there is no place to get pure mineral diesel fuel within 30 miles. That means a lot of people are stuck with late model vehicles that they have to either not run or risk fines.

Let's hope there's intelligent life somewhere in space 'cause it's buggar all down here. -- Monte Python
Greybeard #500211 08/30/2012 10:37 PM
New Tires
New Tires
Quote:

Something that bothers me is that bio diesel is forbidden for use in diesel vehicles made after 2007, and that includes certain '07 models. Now, I am OK because my truck is cleared for up to B15, but there is no place to get pure mineral diesel fuel within 30 miles. That means a lot of people are stuck with late model vehicles that they have to either not run or risk fines.

So what's the problem, that's not a bug, your overlords' plans are preceding as designed.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. H. L. Mencken
Greybeard #500212 08/30/2012 11:45 PM
3/4 Throttle
3/4 Throttle
Quote:

Fines? By who? Last I checked, you can run pretty much anything you want in your vehicle.. the problem as I understand it is that to meet EPA emission guidelines, diesel manufacturers introduced (in 2007) diesel particulate filters. In order to keep them clean, they also introduced a post-combustion squirt of fuel into the cylinders which then vaporizes and gets run through the filters to burn off the particulates and keep them clean. The problem stems from the fact that biodiesel doesn't vaporize as easily as straight diesel when it hits the heated cylinder, causing some of it to find it's way into the crankcase oil. The net result is that some biodiesel gets mixed in with your crankcase oil and over time will actually cause the oil level to get too high, allowing the crank to slosh it around and create foam (which is why you never want to overfill your crankcase with oil).

Mixing biodiesel with oil isn't really a problem, it is having too much oil in your crankcase that is.. so you can run biodiesel all you want as long as you keep a close eye on your oil level. I have not heard anything about people being fined, and can't even imagine how that could be enforced.. spys hiding at the gas station checking model years maybe?!?

Cheers,
Brad

To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid.
MrUnix #500213 08/30/2012 11:51 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Quote:

Quote:

Fines? By who? Last I checked, you can run pretty much anything you want in your vehicle.. the problem as I understand it is that to meet EPA emission guidelines, diesel manufacturers introduced (in 2007) diesel particulate filters. In order to keep them clean, they also introduced a post-combustion squirt of fuel into the cylinders which then vaporizes and gets run through the filters to burn off the particulates and keep them clean. The problem stems from the fact that biodiesel doesn't vaporize as easily as straight diesel when it hits the heated cylinder, causing some of it to find it's way into the crankcase oil. The net result is that some biodiesel gets mixed in with your crankcase oil and over time will actually cause the oil level to get too high, allowing the crank to slosh it around and create foam (which is why you never want to overfill your crankcase with oil).

Mixing biodiesel with oil isn't really a problem, it is having too much oil in your crankcase that is.. so you can run biodiesel all you want as long as you keep a close eye on your oil level. I have not heard anything about people being fined, and can't even imagine how that could be enforced.. spys hiding at the gas station checking model years maybe?!?

Cheers,
Brad

OK, Now you're bringing facts into all this. That's just not fair.

Smokey3214 #500214 08/31/2012 12:03 PM
Second Wind
OP Offline
Second Wind
On the flex fuel Suburban I looked at the window spec sheet stated that it got 21mpg on the highway on gasoline and 17 on e-10. Thats nearly a 20 percent drop in fuel mileage. So adding 10% corn squeezins got us 20% less milage meaning we are burning 10% more gasoline than we would have to start with. So how is this "green"? How is this helping us get away from fossil fuels? It seems like ...as Penn and Teller would put it..............Bull spit.

I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. Edgar Allan Poe
StandingBull #500215 08/31/2012 2:01 PM
3/4 Throttle
3/4 Throttle
As much as we seem to hate facts around here.. Flex fuel vehicles run on regular gasoline or E85

The official MPG numbers as published by the Department of Energy/EPA actually show highway usage as 21mpg on gas, 16mpg on E85 for the 2012 Flex Fuel Suburban.

So if you figure it out for driving 100 highway miles as an example, you would use roughly 4.7 gallons of gasoline, or 6.25 gallons of E85 which contains less than a gallon of gasoline.

Cheers,
Brad

MrUnix #500216 08/31/2012 2:59 PM
moe Offline
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
E15 will murder our bikes. The vast majority of motor vehicles cannot use E85 either so the savings go out the proverbial window. Running with E10 I get an easy 10mph less when using 100% petrol. Corn sucks anymore anyways. The majority of it is genetically modified. Think of transgenic plants. Hum, what was that town in Colorado? Trinidad?

Food for thought:

Bacillus thuringiensis, commonly referred to as B.t., is a microorganism that produces chemicals toxic to insects. B.t. was registered in the United States for use as a pesticide in 1961 and reregistered in 1998(3). Every time we eat Corn or Soybeans or...we are poisoning ourselves. If it so safe why is the USA the only country (practically speaking) that does not require labeling of gmo crops?

Rant over.

Blowing gravel off rural roads
moe #500217 08/31/2012 3:20 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Eeh! When you're the "Breadbasket of the World", what's a few corners cut here or there, Jim?!

(...and besides, now tell me...how in heaven's name are we gotta continue to "lead" the planet...in obesity rates, HUH?!)

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
MrUnix #500218 08/31/2012 6:21 PM
Second Wind
OP Offline
Second Wind
Quote:

As much as we seem to hate facts around here.. Flex fuel vehicles run on regular gasoline or E85

The official MPG numbers as published by the Department of Energy/EPA actually show highway usage as 21mpg on gas, 16mpg on E85 for the 2012 Flex Fuel Suburban.

So if you figure it out for driving 100 highway miles as an example, you would use roughly 4.7 gallons of gasoline, or 6.25 gallons of E85 which contains less than a gallon of gasoline.

Cheers,
Brad

Your right it was e-85 that is what it said on the window sticker. And that makes my little post above not correct. My mistake, I didn't gather the enormous difference between e-85 and e-10 I just read it off of the window sticker in the lot. It don't mean we hate facts. You can keep that part to yourself. How about just pointing out the mistake with out being an asshat.

thanks Locopony.

StandingBull #500219 08/31/2012 7:36 PM
3/4 Throttle
3/4 Throttle
Quote:

It don't mean we hate facts. You can keep that part to yourself. How about just pointing out the mistake with out being an asshat.

Wow.. chill man! The reference to 'facts' was a tongue in cheek reference to what Chet wrote in the post immediately before yours:

Quote:

OK, Now you're bringing facts into all this. That's just not fair.

Wasn't directed at you at all, and I thought the little squiggly mouthed smiley face after that sentence might have tipped it off even more. Sorry you took it the wrong way.

Cheers,
Brad

MrUnix #500220 09/01/2012 2:35 PM
Second Wind
OP Offline
Second Wind
Quote:

Sorry you took it the wrong way.

Cheers,
Brad

How can you be sorry, that I took it the wrong? If I took it wrong, am I not the one in error? Leaving you nothing to be sorry about?

StandingBull #500221 09/01/2012 6:00 PM
PES Offline
Bar Shake
Bar Shake
Quote:

On the flex fuel Suburban I looked at the window spec sheet stated that it got 21mpg on the highway on gasoline and 17 on e-10. Thats nearly a 20 percent drop in fuel mileage. So adding 10% corn squeezins got us 20% less milage meaning we are burning 10% more gasoline than we would have to start with. So how is this "green"? How is this helping us get away from fossil fuels? It seems like ...as Penn and Teller would put it..............Bull spit.

Yeah. I use non ethanol gas in both my bike and car I get 17.8 mpg city in the Explorer with ethanol gas and 18.3mpg with non. Around 22 mpg on the highway. It's not much difference and I about break even on the price, which is about $.10 higher per gallon. I don't know what the difference is on the bike. I consistently get between 38 city and 48 hgwy. There's probably not that much difference in engine wear/performance but I just feel more comfortable using it. It's harder to find on trips though. I am definitely against E-15.

"Catching a yellow jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary" Author unknown
PES #500222 09/03/2012 11:06 AM
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
I really doesn't have anything to do with the environment (except to appease the green hippies), it really all about the money. 15% less mileage means you have to fill up 15% more often and that means 15% more tax revenue.

Soren #500223 09/04/2012 10:14 PM
Bar Shake
Bar Shake
And 15% more profit for the oil companies since ethanol (for fuel) production is subsidized.

Contra todo mal, mezcal; contra todo bien, también
bigbill #500224 09/06/2012 9:34 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
But will the fuel be American made unlike my China made Levi's jeans then idk I might go for it

Are we there YET? I gotta go pee!! 08 SpeedMASTER, Black and Red!
JasonSonOfEd #500225 09/07/2012 5:44 PM
3/4 Throttle
3/4 Throttle
Here's the email response I got from my Senator....
Dear Karl ,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) partial waiver of the ethanol content limit.

As you may know, in January 2011, the EPA announced an expanded waiver allowing E15 (85% gasoline, 15% ethanol) to be marketed for vehicles made after model year 2000. The waiver excluded vehicles such as heavy trucks, motorcycles and off-road vehicles.

I understand concerns that the increased ethanol content could damage some engines. This possibility deserves careful study. Although the waiver does not require everyone to purchase E15, we must ensure the proper infrastructure is in place to inform consumers of the requirements for vehicles fueled by higher ethanol blends.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I look forward to continuing our conversation on Facebook ( www.facebook.com/SenatorBlunt ) and Twitter ( www.twitter.com/RoyBlunt ) about the important issues f acing Missouri and the country. I also encourage you to visit my website ( blunt.senate.gov ) to learn more about where I stand on the issues and sign-up for my e -newsletter .
Sincere regards,
Roy Blunt
United States Senator

>>>>>> At least he's aware of the concern...from the sound of the form reply I got. He's also aware that darn few folks outside of government, the EPA & the oil industry know about what's going on. Roy neglected mentioning a thing about any action he might take in the interests of his constituancy...but sure did plug his FB, web, and "Twit" (yes that was a very slight reference to a Monty Python skit )account addresses....

Rumble on....

Karl Independence, MO '07 America, Cinnamon Girl (aka: Black Beauty) - Sit Down, Shut Up & Hang On
StandingBull #500226 10/05/2012 12:59 AM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
Both my bike and my car get about 5-10% fewer miles on the E-10 stuff. Considering it's about 3% cheaper than the straight gas that doesn't seem like a very good deal. As for e-85, how much fuel is used in growing the corn, distilling the alcohol and then transporting it? It's like the "green" electric cars that run off electricity produced with fossil fuel.

We all like to think of ourselves as rugged individualists. But when push comes to shove most of us are sheep who do what we are told. Worst of all, a lot of us become unpaid agents of whoever is controlling the agenda by enforcing the current dogma on the few rugged individualists who actually exist.
ladisney #500227 10/05/2012 9:45 AM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
From what I have seen they are going ahead with it no matter what the people want. What scares me is the 10% stickers are missing from most of the ethanol pumps around here and some have even lost the ethanol stickers all together and when I asked they told me the pumps are still dispensing ethanol blends even though not marked. I can see pulling up and getting the E-85 by mistake and harming the engine. In the back of my mind I can see that as the idea anyway to get rid of older cars and engines in general.

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
Buffal0 #500228 10/05/2012 10:13 AM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
Quote:

Here's the email response I got from my Senator....
Dear Karl ,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) partial waiver of the ethanol content limit.

As you may know, in January 2011, the EPA announced an expanded waiver allowing E15 (85% gasoline, 15% ethanol) to be marketed for vehicles made after model year 2000. The waiver excluded vehicles such as heavy trucks, motorcycles and off-road vehicles.

I understand concerns that the increased ethanol content could damage some engines. This possibility deserves careful study. Although the waiver does not require everyone to purchase E15, we must ensure the proper infrastructure is in place to inform consumers of the requirements for vehicles fueled by higher ethanol blends.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I look forward to continuing our conversation on Facebook ( www.facebook.com/SenatorBlunt ) and Twitter ( www.twitter.com/RoyBlunt ) about the important issues f acing Missouri and the country. I also encourage you to visit my website ( blunt.senate.gov ) to learn more about where I stand on the issues and sign-up for my e -newsletter .
Sincere regards,
Roy Blunt
United States Senator

>>>>>> At least he's aware of the concern...from the sound of the form reply I got. He's also aware that darn few folks outside of government, the EPA & the oil industry know about what's going on. Roy neglected mentioning a thing about any action he might take in the interests of his constituancy...but sure did plug his FB, web, and "Twit" (yes that was a very slight reference to a Monty Python skit )account addresses....

Rumble on....

He is absolutely pushing hard for E15. He represents corn folks who want to sell our food with no FDA checks for more money via EPA laws. Here he is on one of many issues.

Look Here

I try to aggravate one person a day. Today may be your day.
satxron #500229 10/12/2012 10:43 PM
Bar Shake
Bar Shake
Now besides big oil, big coal, big pharma we have to deal with big corn....................

Contra todo mal, mezcal; contra todo bien, también
bigbill #500230 10/12/2012 10:49 PM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
Oh Bill stop being such a cornball with that cornie statement.

Big Farm is who you are dealing with, you are correct. They can sell our food for more as fuel with less regulation because nobody is eating it.

I try to aggravate one person a day. Today may be your day.
bigbill #500231 10/13/2012 12:09 AM
Ryk Offline
Check Pants
Check Pants
Quote:

Now besides big oil, big coal, big pharma we have to deal with big corn....................

Remember when all those family farms disintegrated, Big Agr. was glad to take them over. Remember when we fed the world with our grain surpluses, now we take corn and save the planet by distilling the corn and ruining the quality of our available fuel. Big big $money$ is behind ethanol, and it isn't going away anytime soon. Write the politicos all you want, until you can match or exceed the contributions involved, you may as well try to kiss the wind.

ladisney #500232 10/13/2012 4:50 PM
Second Wind
OP Offline
Second Wind
Quote:

Both my bike and my car get about 5-10% fewer miles on the E-10 stuff. Considering it's about 3% cheaper than the straight gas that doesn't seem like a very good deal. As for e-85, how much fuel is used in growing the corn, distilling the alcohol and then transporting it? It's like the "green" electric cars that run off electricity produced with fossil fuel.

The tail is wagging the dog again.

bigbill #500233 10/17/2012 2:16 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Quote:

Just wait til we actually start using manure for fuel, then we'll be dealing with BIG SH!T.

Leithal #500234 11/01/2012 9:36 PM
3/4 Throttle
3/4 Throttle
Quote:

Quote:

Just wait til we actually start using manure for fuel, then we'll be dealing with BIG SH!T.

And we'll be in DEEP SH!T too! I can't imagine retrofitting my BA to run on Methane

Karl Independence, MO '07 America, Cinnamon Girl (aka: Black Beauty) - Sit Down, Shut Up & Hang On
MACMC #500235 09/12/2013 11:03 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

Quote:

So what's the problem, that's not a bug, your overlords' plans are preceding as designed.

+1

06 in Mulberry. AI, Dunstalls, Nology coils, TTP Keep your faith in God, but keep your powder dry. -Oliver Cromwell
moe #500236 09/13/2013 7:40 AM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand

The "+1" comment above prompted me to go back an re-read this entire thread. And I've got one question for Moe.

Quote:

...... Running with E10 I get an easy 10mph less when using 100% petrol.

Does this mean you actually run SLOWER with E-10?

Leithal #500237 09/19/2013 10:12 PM
Second Wind
OP Offline
Second Wind
I use two cycle oil to counter ethanol and it works quite well actually.

StandingBull #500238 09/20/2013 10:09 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Quote:

I use two cycle oil to counter ethanol and it works quite well actually.

Really? Not that I don't believe you, just very interested. What kind of differences to you notice? Increased performance, increased MPG? Less valve noise? Less ware on the engine?
Hmmm, very interested indeed?

Leithal #500239 09/21/2013 4:12 PM
Ryk Offline
Check Pants
Check Pants
2 Cycle Oil is an non-coking upper cylinder lubricant, right? seems a little added to your gas would do no harm. I add a little Marvel Mystery Oil to my gas for all my vehicles. Does it do any good? It makes me feel like I'm trying. Without an expensive/extensive set of dyno comparos and engine teardown wear surveys, who knows if or what the benefits are.

Moderated by  bennybmn, chy, freedom 

Link Copied to Clipboard