Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Calgary Noise Law
#470010 11/15/2011 2:21 PM
"Lighten up, Francis."
OP Offline
"Lighten up, Francis."
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Noise+Snare+ready+muffle+Calgary+bikers/5702613/story.html

Why does Calgary hate freedom? I believe Edmonton already has a noise law in place.

"Electrical engineer Mark Nesdoly invented the snare after a loud motorcycle awoke his sleeping daughter one night."

Ah, the poor dear. Was she scarred for life? Did it ruin her whole day?

Last edited by FriarJohn; 11/15/2011 2:23 PM.

BA.com Caretaker | Friarsride | jb.com
Re: Calgary Noise Law
FriarJohn #470011 11/15/2011 3:02 PM
Stickman Yogi
Stickman Yogi
It's not just Calgary or Edmonton, or noise laws or otherwise... right John? I mean is it not true and obvious that all of us everywhere have less and less rights and freedom with each passing day? I'm sorry to hear about this kind of thing happening anywhere. And I do hope that girl is not traumatized for life, poor thing!

Live to love, love to live.
Keith #470012 11/15/2011 5:50 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
The thing with sound is that it doesn't travel in a straight line. It radiates out from its source, bounces and echos off things etc.

So how will they be able to prove that the vehicle in the picture is making the noise, and the source is not some kid screaming its head off just out of shot?

Ok, they say they've tested it, but then again back in the '80s they "proved" that leg protectors on motorcycles were the best thing since sliced bread. It turned out they only worked if a Honda Cub hit a Morris Minor at a certain angle and speed, but they were very nearly made mandatory

So I reckon a decent lawyer will be able to get anyone caught by this 'snare' off. IMO

And wasting $112,500 of public money on a folly might well get people unelected

Too old to die young, too ugly to leave a good looking corpse
brindle #470013 11/17/2011 10:36 AM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Won't get anyone off if they have judges like I had when I was cited for not obeying posted signs or something like that. Officer claimed I was in a closed lane and had ignored 2 arrow trucks. There were no arrow trucks from where I got on the highway to where he was and I only knew to get over due to his flashing lights. Well in court as I presented my side of the story the judge started his sentence in response to mine several times with "When I find you guilty......." Cop presented no evidence, even when I asked for it. He stated there was no video because I had come up behind him, had no documentation or testimony that those trucks were there either. Yet I was still found guilty of something I didn't do. Judge isn't supposed to give any more weight to a cops testimony than anyone else but they do, innocent until proven guilty, my ass.

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
The_Dog33 #470014 11/17/2011 1:46 PM
"Lighten up, Francis."
OP Offline
"Lighten up, Francis."
What does that have to do with noise laws in Calgary?

brindle #470015 11/17/2011 4:11 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

So I reckon a decent lawyer will be able to get anyone caught by this 'snare' off.

John, it has to do with what was posted by Brindle when he said it wouldn't stand up in court. I just used my experience as an example of what some judges might say.

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
The_Dog33 #470016 11/21/2011 11:23 AM
Second Wind
Second Wind
I think Ians point is, that the justice system is corrupt. Then again these things are for raising revenue not exacting justice.

I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. Edgar Allan Poe
StandingBull #470017 11/21/2011 8:41 PM
"Lighten up, Francis."
OP Offline
"Lighten up, Francis."
IMHO, this is about revenue. Just like speed traps. Don't look for any sympathy from the establishment.

Ooooh, that sounds political. I better go...

FriarJohn #470018 11/22/2011 3:17 AM
Stickman Yogi
Stickman Yogi
Calgary was a quite place... until they hosted the Winter Olympics, that is! Good thing it wasn't the Summer Olympics... all them loud bikes would o' drowned out the event. I think the Mayor at the time thought the same thing, thus paving the way for strict and unreasonable noise bylaws and enforcement.

Live to love, love to live.
Keith #470019 11/23/2011 11:13 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
It's an old topic but the loud bikes end up costing the rest of us our liberties. More and more towns banning motorcycles so that those that desperately need to be heard will be. The folks that need that so attention don't want to hear that, though...

Anyway...I went through two Winter Olympic site this summer, Whistler and Calgary. Whistler was beautiful. Not many people around. Beautiful facilities with bears wandering around.
I was shocked by Calgary. A WalMart near the ski jump. Most of the venues next to the highway. Crappy little fast food joints and other garbage alongside the Olympic venues. Calgary was everything Whistler was not.
Very disappointing. I won't be returning to Calgary.

Smokey3214 #470020 01/06/2013 1:14 PM
Caution: feisty
Caution: feisty
As the face of the fight against the noise bylaw in Edmonton, I might be able to shed some light in comparing why Calgary is actually not a bad thing.

Edmonton enacted a discriminatory bylaw targeting only motorcycles on June 9, 2010. Rig rocket trucks and customized soup can exhaust on such cars like Honda Civics are essentially allowed to commit the same infraction without the same penalties. There are two sets of laws, one for motorcycles and one for everyone else which contravenes the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. The officers set up in high volume traffic areas and pull over ANYTHING on two wheels whether you are breaking this law or not. We have successfully counselled many for their court appearances to have tickets thrown out and continue to do so. We encourage anyone who was unfairly detained to write letters of complaint against the officers pulling them over with no just cause, and simply because they ride. This law, using the road side J2825 test has been enacted in Oakville and Caledon, Ontario. It has been voted down in several other communities based on the discrimination factor of it. I actively contact all members if city councils across the country considering this, educating on how much it has failed in Edmonton and how much money has been wasted...which is far more than what a Noise Snare costs.

Calgary enacted a bylaw using a piece of equipment tested thoroughly by an independent company. The Noise Snare does not discriminate. It is essentially photo radar for noise. It is not arbitrarily set up in opportune places go maximize revenue, which we see in Edmonton, it is actually dispatched to the area a complaint comes in, sit for a couple days then move on. To top it off, they will investigate and not just fine right away. They use discretion and kindness. The bylaw officer who runs this program will also admit motorcycles are 5th on the list of noise issues. finally, the City of Calgary DID NOT pay for their Noise Snare unit. It was given to them complimentary for being the first city to implement it.

For more information, please visit www.modeledmonton.com for a ton of information.

Any day on my bike is the best day ever! That would be my custom painted 2007 Speedmaster or my 2002 Daytona 955i also known as my salt racing bike!

Moderated by  bennybmn, chy, freedom 

Link Copied to Clipboard