Steve McQueen inspired
by Feral, November 28
GaRally22
GaRally22
by chy, September 18
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Anyone removed 2 baffles from the stock pipes?
#4639 02/21/2005 9:49 PM
ImOk Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
How does it sound with 2 removed?

I screwed up one of the stock pipes (I have EPCOs on now) trying to punch holes in the 2nd baffle pipe so I have to remove the second one too. (I know, I should have drilled but my drill got fried using the hole saw and I got impatient.. haste makes waste)

The 2nd baffle pipe is now loose and when I pull it the hole from the 1st baffle is not big enough to let me drag it out.

Do you think Midas or Meineke are equiped to do this? Or should I ask a plumber?

Thank goodness I have the EPCOS so my bike is ok...

Thanks

P.S. I have the hole saw and drill. Does anyone know who is next?

ImOk <Pix>
Re: Anyone removed 2 baffles from the stock pipes?
ImOk #4640 02/21/2005 10:08 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
BTW...how does one get on the list for the hole saw? Is there a size that fits through the speedmaster pipes?

Or better yet anyone know of aftermarket pipes that look like the speedmasters with the tapered ends?

ImOk #4641 02/22/2005 3:03 PM
PES Offline
Bar Shake
Bar Shake
I have 2 baffles out. It sounds okay but not anything classic like the old Triumphs. I think all the trash that's still in there (where the baffles are cut)has an affect on the sound. Better then stock.

-PES

"Catching a yellow jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary" Author unknown
ImOk #4642 02/22/2005 3:57 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
don;t waste your time butchering the stock pipes. your not going to get the performance you would with the epcos or secpters or other aftermarket pipes. IMO this is only OK if you are tight on money and are looking for some additional noise. Becase that;s all your getting additional noise!!
joker

ImOk #4643 02/24/2005 9:47 AM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Those that have taken second plate out (check with mikesr) I think have used a dremmel tool to take the remaining first plate out so there is more room to operate on teh second plate.

ed

[color:"blue"] www.fasteddysports.com [/color]
gregzilla #4644 02/24/2005 5:26 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I have a 1-1/2" holesaw available. I works great on the Speedmaster. Send me an email with your address and I'll get it out. The first 2 plates and tube are centered and come out fairly easy. The next tubes are offset and you end up slicing them lengthwise. This is a pain , but with patience and a healthy drill, can be done. I'd do one tube at a time and see if the sound is where you want it. I went through all my baffles, but left the reducing cone at the front of the muffler. To make sure I left nothing in them, I pulled the muffler off and shook out the residue. Most of the pieces stayed in the center of the holesaw. I fished out the remains with a rod.
Try 130 mains and pull out the snorkle and see how you like it.
The sound quality is subjective. I like it, but then again it is MY bike. I've heard some $400 pipes that I thought sounded tinnier, but some $600 ones that I liked better. One thing you can't beat is the sound/dollar ratio!
Mike Sr.

ImOk #4645 02/24/2005 5:40 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
IMOK,
Try grabbing the tube with a pair of visegrips and tap it out. The baffle plates are not that thick and should fold up and slide out. Just a suggestion.
Mike Sr.

ImOk #4646 02/24/2005 10:45 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
I cut the ends off about eight inches up. Removed the next two baffles and drilled mulitple holes in the final one nearest the inlet. This sounded a bit harsh so I welded a Washer with about an inch and half opening, about an inch from the exhaust end. Has a much deeper tone than the epco's I have. Far as performance goes I can't tell much if any differance in the modified pipes and the epco's. Course you would need to dyno them to be sure.

trash #4647 02/25/2005 8:29 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
hubby drilled out my stock pipes, and it sounds more like a classic triumph. I felt almost as though I should not be sacrificing the stock pipes. So, good hubby, purchased new mufflers off ebay. So, just in case I feel the need to return to stock.
Cindy

Start each day with a smile... and get it over with... W.C. Fields
gregzilla #4648 02/25/2005 10:55 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Hi Greg,
I used a 3/4" rotary file in a drill to remove the rear tube and plate in my speedmaster pipes. With a cheap extension ( i have a 12" & 6" ) you can reach all the plates. I removed the last two baffle plates and bored a 3/4" hole in the other four plates. Sound is good and performance increased. Recommend!!! At least until you can buy some SpecialtySpares or other pipes made by those who know what they're doing.
Dennis

Ride Safe, Dennis Triumph, it's how I live and what I ride.
Joker #4649 02/25/2005 11:02 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Hi Lou,
I beg to differ. If you buy D&D,Thunderpipes,Scepters SpecialtySpares and don't rejet, you get nothing but noise.
Minimal performance is gained through opened exhaust alone.
More gas, more power. New pipes or beating out your baffles is like taking enemas every day without eating anything.
Nothing gained.
My opinion through experience.
Dennis

Ride Safe, Dennis Triumph, it's how I live and what I ride.

Moderated by  bennybmn, chy 

Link Copied to Clipboard