Steve McQueen inspired
by Feral, November 28
GaRally22
GaRally22
by chy, September 18
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
thunderbike pipes just installed / reviewed..
#4616 02/21/2005 6:40 PM
Complete Newb
OP Offline
Complete Newb
I recently purchased an 04 SM and I'm very happy with the bike, but the stock pipes/sound are pitiful. I bit the $$ bullet and bought the tbike pipes. It took exactly 6 days for them to arrive in Virginia from NZ. Not bad!! Removing the stock pipes wasn't so bad...but very tricky to get your hands where you need them to loosen/tighten -- that goes for re-assembly too. The tbike pipes were equally as heavy as the stock pipes, and the finish was really nice--they look very stock except for the slash cut at the end...much nicer IMHO. The fit, however took some finesse. Both connecting ends on the pipes needed re-shaping in order to fit properly over the (header?). One was seriously mis-shapened. This ate up a lot of time. I'm no mechanic by the way. The connecting end also had "loose" chrome on the ends, and after re-shaping, came off a bit (anyone know how to re-chrome...I'm guessing there is no such thing??)
Regardless, after about 2 hours, they were on. Again I'm no mechanic, but I took my time and made sure they fit like the stock ones did. I fired it up, and wow what a difference! The pipes have a nice deep throaty sound, and yes, loud enough to get anyone's attention, but not so loud you ****** your neighbors off everytime you hit it, or lose your hearing after 10 minutes. It's a very classic rumble but certainly not over the top...I am not dissapointed in the way they sound at all. In regards to power gain, it most certainly is there. The power response feels AND IS more immediate and steady thru the RPM band. The bike pulls noticeably harder and smoother. More power...awesome sound...what more could you ask for??
Aside from the reshaping and loosing a bit of chrome, all is well...I'd do it again if I had to...no regrets!

Re: thunderbike pipes just installed / reviewed..
loanplanet #4617 02/21/2005 7:14 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
i feel the same way. accept for the problems. mine fit just as good as stock did. sorry to har about your problems but nice to hear your happy. you can have them rechromed but i am pretty sure its expensive.

Frank

(Former)05 BA tbike pipes, ai removed, Freak, mikuni hsr 42's, 904, ported/polished head, 1mm oversized valves NOW-2010 silver and black tbird
loanplanet #4618 02/22/2005 9:49 AM
TR6 Offline
Adjunct
Adjunct
I've had mine long TB's on my SM for a couple of weeks now and they are well-made. However, they arrived with minor shipping damage that I'm working with Richard at TB to resolve; I'm hoping for some minor compensation. The problem is the inept packaging they do . . . they claim it's very difficult to get packaging material down there. Right, you're selling $700 pipes and you can't ship them properly? B.S. If my pipes had been properly packaged, they would have arrived perfect. Shoot some pics and send them off to TB and followup with them on a weekly basis until your concerns are resolved. Mention also that you know at least 2 other owners who have had similar issues. If they have enough of us doing this, maybe they'll get a clue about how to ship stuff correctly.

Otherwise, I'm absolutely thrilled with the pipes!

loanplanet #4619 02/22/2005 11:20 AM
Worn Saddle
Worn Saddle
Glad you like them babies. I got the first set in the states, at least I'm pretty sure I did, and I have been in love with them from the minute I opened the boxes. Mine were flawless and slipped on in about 15 minutes. But I have been yanking pipes on/off the SM several times before going the TPipe route.
I just love them and think they were worth the money. I just wish I had just bought them first instead of dicking around with other pipes so much. But, then again I would not have learned so much if I didn't. I chalk it up to a learning experience.
Have fun with them and keep after them over in KiwiVille if you have an issue, they will make it right if you have any problems.
By the way, how were yours packaged anyway? Mine were in two seperate packages, wrapped in plastic, then heavy duty perf cardboard (wrapped 3 times each) then both packages were again wrapped together with the heavy duty perf carbdoard. Mine arrived in less than 2 weeks, customs held them up for 4 days, and they were perfect when I opened them up.
Maybe consider upping your main jets a notch or two even though they say it's not needed. Do a plug check to verify mixture.
Have fun!

A word to the wise is not necessary. It is the stupid ones who need the advice. Pat
Dinqua #4620 02/22/2005 12:18 PM
TR6 Offline
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

By the way, how were yours packaged anyway?

The packaging was a joke, suited only for a private courier going across town. Each pipe was bubble wrapped, then taped together as an assembly. A single sheet of corrugated board was then wrapped/taped around the assembly. That's it, totally inept! There was no extra cushioning material placed on the ends (yes, the pipe ends were "protected" by popped bubbles and a single layer of thin corrugated board!!). When they arrived on my doorstep, one end of the package was nearly torn off and the pipes ready to fall out. Geez.

Dinqua #4621 02/22/2005 12:26 PM
TR6 Offline
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

Maybe consider upping your main jets a notch or two even though they say it's not needed.

Will do, but the limited ride time I've had with these puppies doesn't indicate I need to (haven't checked the plugs yet though). No popping and excellent throttle response. Jason at TB gave me quite a lengthy sermon on jetting options . . . I posted this elsewhere but the jist was their dyno showed optimum results with stock carb setup. Changing from that actually hurt those results. The power gains dyno'd out a bit lower for the '05 SM (what I have) with the increased displacment (and cam change?).

BTW--Thanks to you and Grump for convincing me to get them; I wouldn't have made the decision without you.

TR6 #4622 02/22/2005 9:14 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
hey TR6, u ever ride a 04 and under ba or sm? just curious what you think of the 05. sorry to hijack this thread

Frank

(Former)05 BA tbike pipes, ai removed, Freak, mikuni hsr 42's, 904, ported/polished head, 1mm oversized valves NOW-2010 silver and black tbird
Frank #4623 02/23/2005 9:48 AM
TR6 Offline
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

hey TR6, u ever ride a 04 and under ba or sm?

Not yet, but I'm sure I'll have a chance to exchange rides with Grump when the weather breaks to find out. Will have to figure out how to deal with the different sprockets though (still have the 16 on mine).

TR6 #4624 02/23/2005 8:19 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
oh forgot about sprokets. oh well guess it will give some sort of idea though how differentt hey are. ehy not just change your sproket

Frank

TR6 #4625 03/01/2005 8:24 PM
TR6 Offline
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

However, they arrived with minor shipping damage that I'm working with Richard at TB to resolve

Here's the damage; minor indeed, but annoying. A new set is on its way from TB.

TR6 #4626 03/01/2005 8:55 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Well, at least they're being replaced. But what a pain! Man, you'd think for what these guys cost they'd be delivered encased in Kevlar.

"Despite all the amputation, you could dance to a rock 'n roll station..."
TR6 #4627 03/01/2005 10:01 PM
Worn Saddle
Worn Saddle
Did the stickers come on the pipes or did you put them there? I got a set a few months after I bought mine but Haven't put them anywhere.

A word to the wise is not necessary. It is the stupid ones who need the advice. Pat
Dinqua #4628 03/02/2005 9:46 AM
TR6 Offline
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

Did the 'stickers' come on the pipes or did you put them there?

The stickers are cast aluminum plates that TB put on.

blackdog #4629 03/02/2005 9:49 AM
TR6 Offline
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

Man, you'd think for what these guys cost they'd be delivered encased in Kevlar.

I agree completely and was told by TB that packing materials are scarce in NZ. Unbelievable! We'll see if they did any dumpster diving to find some when set #2 arrives.

Dinqua #4630 03/02/2005 2:59 PM
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
pat like you my badges for the pipes arrived later i put them on the rear of the pipes at about a 10 oclock 2 oclock position when the bike is upright,makes them stand out from all the other pipes out there

lawn #4631 03/02/2005 9:48 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
I want some, Bad.......No, I need them, ya, that's right I need new pipes, cause,..... It's safer, yea., that's right safer.....and.... the stock ones........ had a recall, yea, that's it, they recalled them for safety reasons..... something about a weld in the bottom.......I want some....

Warren 04 Caspian Blue and Silver America
TR6 #4632 03/08/2005 7:58 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Hey Rick, I got the T-pipes on my BA last fall, and they certainly woke my bike up in stock configuration too. What I noticed though, is that after about 50 miles or so, it got the "stumbles" when you opened it up. It was starving for fuel. I changed to 135 main jets from the stock 120's and the difference is incredible. I have 138's and 140's too as I anticipate needing larger jets once summer gets here (if it EVER does!) for the "thicker" air. If you try the larger jets, I'm 99.99% certain you won't be disappointed.

Thunderpipes, 135 mains, TBS needles, snorkel & AI removed
throb #4633 03/09/2005 9:49 AM
TR6 Offline
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

What I noticed though, is that after about 50 miles or so, it got the "stumbles" when you opened it up. It was starving for fuel.

Granted I've only got 138 miles on the SM so far, but I haven't noticed any stumbling (yet). Thanks for the jetting advice as I'll know what to do when I have to. Perhaps the revised cam profile on the '05 has something to do with not having any stumbling; we need some more '05 owners to get the TB's on. The only negative thing I can say (aside from the shipping fiasco) is I had to turn down the sensitivity on my car's alarm!!

Dinqua #4634 03/11/2005 5:39 PM
Complete Newb
OP Offline
Complete Newb
Thanks for the input. Mine were individually bubble rapped, then bubble wrapped together, then wrapped in heavy guage paper/cardboard. Not bad. I don't think they were damaged in shipping, I think they left the factory that way. Love your slogan by the way....

TR6 #4635 03/12/2005 7:39 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
LOL! Yes, they sound soooo nice. I go out in the garage and stare at my BA every night hoping for a warm enough day to get here so I can finally ride it again. We got about 5 inches of snow dumped on us again last night so it may be a while. If I didn't mention it before, I also kindly suggest adding the float bowl allen screws "kit" if you're going to change jets. That way if you need to change them again you can do it in 15 minutes with an allen wrench as compared to the hour to 1 1/2 hrs pulling everything else apart to pull the carbs off. You can get them at newspeedmaster or I think bellacorse too. Or your local hardware store too probably...

Thunderpipes, 135 mains, TBS needles, snorkel & AI removed

Moderated by  bennybmn, chy 

Link Copied to Clipboard