Next Thread
Print Thread
European Bike Legislation Nightmare
#452347 07/03/2011 4:33 AM
Bugbear Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Some of you may be aware of the proposals being put forward by the 'faceless ones' in Brussels.
Not all bad, of course, but these stick in the throat a bit.

Compulsory wearing of 'dayglo' vests for all bikers.

A ban on GPS software advertising speed camera locations.

Massive new rear number plates. (8" x 10.5")

Virtually no modifications to bikes allowed.

Home servicing to be outlawed.

Special bolts on exhausts to prevent changes (they've never heard of angle-grinders)

ECU's to be sealed units.

European limit of 100bhp.

A ban on all bikes over 7 years old entering cities (I kid you not)

etc, etc.

Crazy, crazy world.

We had a national protest day in France last month over these proposals and over 100,000 bike riders were out there.
The next one will be even larger.
Rider organisations are pushing for better safety equipment, boots, gloves etc but this is falling on deaf ears. Some protesters went naked apart from a helmet and dayglo vest just to demonstrate how stupid some of these proposals are

My girlfriend thinks I'm a stalker... Well, she's not actually my girlfriend yet.
Re: European Bike Legislation Nightmare
Bugbear #452348 07/03/2011 6:57 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
tis indeed a crazy situation.mag and its european counterparts are doin all they can on th lobbyin front,but i think more protests in the capitols n cities is called for.these fekin idiots wont be happy till all powered two weelers are off th road.fight,fight,fight.

chophead #452349 07/03/2011 12:23 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Probably have some a$$ pointing out that you could see those naked riders very well so the vest was a good idea and that is why they didn't get hurt!

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
The_Dog33 #452350 07/03/2011 4:07 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
How ridiculous. I would leave the country if they made those changes. What a bunch of tossers.

stevieB #452351 07/03/2011 4:21 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
unfortunatley it aint one country,its th fekin european union that passes all these stupid rules on to everbody else,all in th name of health n safety.arse.

chophead #452352 07/03/2011 8:07 PM
Worn Saddle
Worn Saddle
Quote:

unfortunatley it aint one country,its th fekin european union that passes all these stupid rules on to everbody else,all in th name of health n safety.arse.

The all powerful nincompoops are active in a lot of countries these days...Hard to tell where it will end, but I'm hoping I don't live long enough to see the end result...can anybody say...VIVA the REVOLUTION!

Fidelis et Fortis
Bugbear #452353 07/04/2011 1:00 AM
Stickman Yogi
Stickman Yogi
This reminds me a lot of Kathy's thread, "Absolutely unbelievable" up in the lounge. When is enough, enough? Mahatma Gandhi exercised 'passive resistance' which was brilliant and WORKED! I'm up for a little o' that, if THAT'S what's needed!!

Live to love, love to live.
Keith #452354 07/04/2011 1:10 AM
Stickman Yogi
Stickman Yogi
When recently posed the question, "Are you optimistic for the future of motorcycling?" world renowned motorcycle designer Glynn Kerr said... "Bikes will continue to get better, but our freedom to enjoy them is gradually being diminished."

http://www.bikeexif.com/glynn-kerr?utm_s...%28Bike+EXIF%29

Live to love, love to live.
chophead #452355 07/04/2011 6:58 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

"Fekin European Union" - I think you got that right - F-E-U-dalism.

Disclaimer: This was not an attempt at a political post but an apt description to a tendency that seems to replicate patterns from medieval times.
I just love history too.

Bedouin. Blessed are those eyes that have seen more roads than any man! (Homer).
Bedouin #452356 07/14/2011 5:05 PM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
Quote:

Quote:

Disclaimer: This was not an attempt at a political post but an apt description to a tendency that seems to replicate patterns from medieval times.
I just love history too.

Ah the joys of European integration. Funny how even the "Totalitarians" of European history were much less invasive than the bureaucrats of Brussels.

We all like to think of ourselves as rugged individualists. But when push comes to shove most of us are sheep who do what we are told. Worst of all, a lot of us become unpaid agents of whoever is controlling the agenda by enforcing the current dogma on the few rugged individualists who actually exist.
ladisney #452357 07/14/2011 6:16 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I just love history too.

Ah the joys of European integration. Funny how even the "Totalitarians" of European history were much less invasive than the bureaucrats of Brussels.

Yeah, maybe so Larry, but maybe the good thing here is that there doesn't seem to be any Dachaus, Treblinkas or Auschwitzes bein' run by any ["I vas jus' following orders"] burcracrats THIS time around.

Now THOSE were what one "might" call more than a little "invasive" for "a few" folks...like maybe 6 milliion folks, by some estimates!

(...yep, like Thanassis, I know MY History, TOO!!!!!)

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
Dwight #452358 07/14/2011 8:22 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

... bein' run by any ["I vas jus' following orders"] burcracrats THIS time around.

The modern version is "I am just covering my ass and creating BS legislation just to appear to be doing something and justify my job".

Quote:

... one "might" call more than a little "invasive" for "a few" folks...like maybe 6 milliion folks, by some estimates!

And that was just the Jewish people.

Bedouin. Blessed are those eyes that have seen more roads than any man! (Homer).
Bedouin #452359 07/15/2011 12:14 AM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
The point is that there will soon be nothing the bureaucrats will not control. Here in the US they have banned incandescent light bulbs, decent flush toilets, smoking in bars, spanking your own kids and a million other things. In Europe bureaucrats have injected themselves into everything, without even the bothering to have elections to get a mandate. Nothing is too small or too personal to escape their grasping attention. By the time most people realize they have lost all their choices to the whims of busy body bureaucrats and nanny state politicians we really will be living in a totalitarian regime.

CS Lewis said best: “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

Everyone has the right to be foolish. As soon as we take that away we will all have to behave according to someone else's definition of sensible. Who would YOU trust to make those decisions. In Europe that self appointed army is headquartered in Brussels. Here in the US they are mainly in Washington and, as CS Lewis said, they never stop.

We all like to think of ourselves as rugged individualists. But when push comes to shove most of us are sheep who do what we are told. Worst of all, a lot of us become unpaid agents of whoever is controlling the agenda by enforcing the current dogma on the few rugged individualists who actually exist.
Dwight #452360 07/15/2011 12:18 AM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt

That's right Dwight. This time it's a softer gentler tyranny. They won't kill you. they'll just regulate your entire life. All for your own good of course.

ladisney #452361 07/15/2011 7:06 AM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
I have always said I like no smoking in public places but I don't like the gov't forcing that. I feel something like that should be up to the OWNER of the property. That is just a specific example of a much larger problem. Always burned me up that I own property but have to pay rent(tax) on it to the gov't to keep it.If I don't pay they take what I OWN. Doesn't sound much like ownership to me. I could go on but I have to go to work!

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
ladisney #452362 07/15/2011 12:29 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

That's right Dwight. This time it's a softer gentler tyranny. They won't kill you. they'll just regulate your entire life. All for your own good of course.

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

Morituri Nolumus Mori
FCTush #452363 07/15/2011 2:34 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Hey! Now THAT'S pretty well stated there, Mike!

But c'mon, fess up...didn't the ghost of Tom Jefferson help out just a little with your thoughts here???

(...btw, this reminds me of when I was the Boarding Gate Supervisor for NWA at LAX...July 4th was usually pretty dead, and so for a couple of years on that date I'd run a little contest at the gates where I'd announce to the customers that I'd upgrade to First Class the first person who could walk up to me and recite the first line of the Declaration of Independence, and every year it wasn't UNTIL about the TENTH soul who'd walk up and DIDN'T say "We The People" and who actually knew it was "When in the course of human events"....yep, we's done got ourselves one really good edumacational system in this here country, don't we?!)

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
Dwight #452364 07/15/2011 7:09 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Who is Tom Jefferson? he a member here?

The_Dog33 #452365 07/19/2011 12:09 AM
"Lighten up, Francis."
"Lighten up, Francis."
I denied his registration.

BA.com Caretaker | Friarsride | jb.com
FriarJohn #452366 07/19/2011 6:36 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

I denied his registration.

Yeah Ian, we'll have NONE of that "pursuit of happiness" crap around HERE, boy!!!!

Dwight #452367 05/30/2012 6:35 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
we got any idea if this is still going forward?

Quick! There's time 2B Wasted! :-P 2007 America Harley FatBoy Short Pipes
Fizzyhair #452368 05/31/2012 12:46 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Quote:

It still seems to be - MAG ( Motorcycle Action Group) are organising another demo in June

Nobby #452369 05/31/2012 2:05 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
If it passes I think my life would lose all meaning...

Quick! There's time 2B Wasted! :-P 2007 America Harley FatBoy Short Pipes
Fizzyhair #452370 05/31/2012 6:18 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
There's a Demo near you

http://www.facebook.com/events/365092060221528/

The more the merrier. The way it keeps getting put back is encouraging, but the pressure needs to be maintained

Too old to die young, too ugly to leave a good looking corpse
Nobby #452371 06/05/2012 3:03 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

Quote:

It still seems to be - MAG ( Motorcycle Action Group) are organising another demo in June

Link to the map

West Midlands MAG organising a demo in July too :

2012 Brum Demo
Saturday 7th July 2012
meet from 12 noon for a 1pm start at
the Hare and Hounds, Lickey road, Rednal B45 8UU
or ride with us from the Heart of England Rally
(Saturday night camping and access to the Heart of England Rally after the demo ride available for £6 per person )

Fizzyhair #452372 06/05/2012 3:12 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

Not knowing where in Kernow you are, you need to get up to Exeter chap

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet" : William Shakespeare

Moderated by  bennybmn, chy, freedom 

Link Copied to Clipboard