by Feral, November 28
GaRally22
GaRally22
by chy, September 18
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Who are you, Why do you live where you live?
Smokey3214 #431328 03/10/2011 12:00 AM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Sounds like you've got the important things in life sorted there Smokey. Welcome mate.

Cheers, Richard
~~~~~~~~~~~~
09 America, Staintune Pipes, K&N, Breathe, Hagon Nitros, AI & O2 removed, tune 20184 (modified), MTX-L a/f gauge
FrankW #431329 03/10/2011 12:01 AM
Check Pants
Check Pants
I was born in SoCal and grew up in the South Bay of So Cal (only a couple cities away from Dwight) in a city called San Pedro. Life seemed like it was going to keep me in that town where I would be a longshoreman, married, kids a BIG suv and well...Im glad it didn't.
I worked for a drug store chain for a few years and was working my way up in management but that all ended one day when I dropped my keys on the GMs desk to go pursue an interest in car audio. That little gig led me to another company that led to an even better company that I have worked for for over 15 years now.
While working for that company I applied for a position (three times) and finally got it. Thing is the last time I applied I did it for exposure so I could get the job the guy that was supposed to get it had. NOT! I got it and I moved to Oregon sight unseen.
Now, I skipped a few things...I had lived in No Cal for a year in Santa Rosa and realized how much I liked trees and friendly people. I wound up back in So Cal but dreaded every waking second of it so the Oregon thing was a shock but once I got there and realized what Northwest life was like I had no issues. I had found home.
Well...a few years later I moved to So Cal AGAIN. This was short lived and almost a year to the date I was give the opportunity to move back to the Northwest only a bit further north this time to the Seattle area.
Id still rather live in Oregon but Ill take Seattle. Especially since Im now a homeowner here.

SOLD: 07 Black BA, 39mm FCRs, TPUSA stage 1 head, TPUSA 813 cams, TPUSA 10.8:1 pistons, TTP #3 igniter, Specialty Spares Long Cannons, Tsukayu Hard Bags. 82HP/55tq NEW: 19 Goldwing Tour DCT
Zmilin #431330 03/11/2011 4:42 PM
Second Wind
Second Wind
I love the Question "who are you?". its funny to me how people answer with what they do for a living, where they live, how many kids they have, etc..........and etc. Is who you are or is there something that you are that goes beyond the ability to express with words. Because what if you change jobs or you get divorced... Does who you are change then? Or are you the same person in different circumstances?

Well most of you know I live in Houston, Texas. I live here because I choose to. Argueably the best city, in the best state, in the best country in the world (Thats my opinion and am entitled to it).
As for who I am. I don't think any one gives a rats ass, and the affore mentioned conundrum keeps me from saying.

I will go on to say that each person who contributed their story here ...Thanks alot for the very interesting insights to your lives.

(this is not sarcasm but an earnest statement).

Last edited by locopony; 03/11/2011 4:50 PM.

I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. Edgar Allan Poe
StandingBull #431331 03/11/2011 6:56 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

I love the Question "who are you?". its funny to me how people answer with what they do for a living, where they live, how many kids they have, etc..........and etc.

Simply put, who I am is the sum total of my experience. That pretty much means I am where I live, how many kids I have etc.

ljpm #431332 03/11/2011 7:32 PM
Second Wind
Second Wind
I guess my question is. Are you the sum of your experiences or are you something more shaped by your experiences?
Don't think I am disrespecting the answers given by others. I admire the ability to answer at all. I know the answers they give are at least insight to who they are, and may be all well can know of each other.

I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. Edgar Allan Poe
StandingBull #431333 03/11/2011 8:27 PM
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
Quote:

I guess my question is. Are you the sum of your experiences or are you something more shaped by your experiences?

Good question. I don't know. or maybe a combination of both.

StandingBull #431334 03/11/2011 8:39 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
I agree with your conclusion: "What you do does not define who you are." But it has taken me a long time to learn that. And I think most blokes are the same. I used to say "I'm a Creative Director" or "I'm a muso" etc as a definition of who I am, or what I own can be a similar misleading definition. But when those things are gone (for whatever reason) we can go through a crisis.

I no longer care what I do for a job (cab driving got that outta me). Instead, I think that character, integrity and relationships rate pretty high on the list of importance.

Probably a better phrasing of the question would be:

"Where do you live and what's your story?"

The object of this thread (I think) is to get to know each other a bit better. So Loco - how about it?

Cheers, Richard
~~~~~~~~~~~~
09 America, Staintune Pipes, K&N, Breathe, Hagon Nitros, AI & O2 removed, tune 20184 (modified), MTX-L a/f gauge
foglefar #431335 03/11/2011 9:19 PM
Second Wind
Second Wind
I'll have to put more thought into it.

foglefar #431336 03/11/2011 9:40 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
I know I am a fat, punk rock (yep, I am), horror movie loving, mortician, musician.
I am also a husband and father.
I live in Portland, OR and this was my third time landing here. I'm from Grants Pass, OR in the southern part of the state, not far from the California border. It was a great place to be from (but I wouldn't want to live there). Most of my immediate family still live there. I have lived in Portland, Seattle, Eugene, Sacramento, Santa Cruz, and San Francisco. Never to terribly far from home, but not close enough from them to just drop in.
I've been playing in punk rock bands since I was 19. I've traveled DIY style through most of the US in $1000 or cheaper vans for a few drink tickets, and hopefully enough gas to get you to the next show. I've been in my current band (Muddy River Nightmare Band) for 11 years. We have all now been tatted with the bands initials, so now were just going for longevity. We have traveled the US and Japan (hoping to go again next year)
I have an awesome two year old daughter named Stella, she loves to see her Papa, play rock and roll. I knew she was mine when recently she brought me a toy wolfman and said, "Papa, this is my favorite wolfman." I think I teared up. I teach her the bad stuff, she loves to say, "hockaloogie" and "why's your hair green? Snot!" She has a little Triumph balance bike (looks like a Daytona) that she is just a little too small for so far, but she does love Papa's motorsickle, "It's loud", she says.
I have a way smarter, and better looking than me wife, who put's up with all my stuff, and really keeps our household in order. Even encourages me to go on rides or go have some beers with the guys. Maybe, she just wants me out of the house.
My job is as a Mortician, but I'm looking for something new? I'm not a salesman, so I'm looking to get out after many years. At least I have a job, 'cause I know many who do not, so for that I am grateful.
I'm always on the watch for the next terrible B Movie (especially if it has motorcycles). I can't get enough Monsters and Zombies, Man.
whew...and that's just a little.

~Brent ----- "Nothing you can be is more terrible than what I am." ~ 2007 Black Speedmaster!!
StandingBull #431337 03/12/2011 9:43 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

It is hard to say if the "something more" is shaped by our experience or if our experience is shaped by our "something more.

If you consider natural talents and abilities, what would they amount to without our experiences to hone and shape them? Consider a person with the potential to become a great guitar player but never picked up a guitar. Is he a guitar player? The question to ask is, does our experiences dictate which talents we express? I think there is a little of both. I guess it is a little like 'does your actions dictate who you are or is who you are dictated by your actions', or, "what came first the chicken or the egg?". Consider the case of the guitar player above, his natural talents would likely lead him to music and eventually a guitar.

I am the sum of my experiences. Is there more to me? Perhaps, but unexpressed if not acted upon. Once acted upon then part of the sum of my experiences.

ljpm #431338 03/12/2011 10:02 AM
Second Wind
Second Wind
Thought provoking..........

StandingBull #431339 03/13/2011 11:47 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I have not been on this sight for some time do to a promotion, transfer, moves, and remolding an older home that was vacant for two years. I live now in southwest Virginia since August 0f 2009. The outdoor stuff, which includes the awesome motorcycle roads, and the cycling trails. Would like to add mountain biking this year because threes a lot of trails here.

She's a Lady and the Lady is 100% mine !
khatt #431340 03/16/2011 1:38 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
It seems to me that WHAT we have done, WHERE we have been, WHO we have been with, and HOW we deal with life partially defines WHO we are. Like the sticker kinda says: "We all are an example to others, I choose to be a BAD one." Or something like that...
Anyway, I was born and raised in the Portland, OR area (Oregon City, Milwaukie) and right after High School (1966)went to off the U.S. Coast Guard. One of the things I initially enjoyed (note: FrierJohn) I was invited to join the Coast Guard Band, playing the T-Bone - great fun until I got transferred. Beyond that I spent 8 years active duty from bouncing around in the North Atlantic to the North Pacific oceans. My last 3 years of Active duty were spent at a Motor Lifeboat Station in Brookings, Oregon (now a bit of a shambles after Japans earthquake) Went into the Merchant Marine as Chief Engineer on Seagoing Tugs (back to the Gulf of Alaska). Decided to get back to land, went to college, got my degree in Electronics and ended up back in the C.G. Reserves. I spent the next 19 years in the Reserves, was a Reserve Instructor at the National Motor Lifeboat School at the mouth of the Columbia River and Training Officer in other units. Retired in 1995 as a Chief Warrant Officer. Also, in the civilian world during those years, was able to enhance the statistics of "re-organization, job redundancy, position eliminated, etc." and generally, lengthening my resume'. THEN I found WOOD. Have been working with wood for a little over 10 years now and enjoying it more than any other vocation (other than Coast Guard Life Saving). Found it a lot more fun to make a bunch of saw dust and see what's left over, than making a higher stack of paperwork.
I've been riding since 1972, starting with a BSA. Got into a Dirt Bike Club in '75 and still helping with Communications (Ham Radio - FJ7FH)and First Aid Coordination at our races.
My wife (of over 42 years) and I enjoy our dogs, of which she shows and runs various performance trials. She shows dogs, I go riding (seems fair). 2 son's, 2 grand children, lawn mower, etc...
Bottom line: over the last 63 years I have found that my personal definition of success and more to the point of WHO I am, may be sumarized as follows:

"Success to me is freely creating excitment in my life with the courage to confront risks and to seize each day with intensity while sharing and caring for those around me."

Beyond that: I ride a Triumph - therefore I am!

I'm speeding because I have to get there before I forget where I was going.
05woody #431341 03/16/2011 1:42 AM
Stickman Yogi
Stickman Yogi
Quote:

Success to me is freely creating excitment in my life with the courage to confront risks and to seize each day with intensity while sharing and caring for those around me.

You've lead an interesting life, and continue on a path of great personal discovery. Looking forward to meeting you this summer!

Live to love, love to live.
Keith #431342 03/16/2011 1:51 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

Quote:

Success to me is freely creating excitment in my life with the courage to confront risks and to seize each day with intensity while sharing and caring for those around me.

You've lead an interesting life, and continue on a path of great personal discovery. Looking forward to meeting you this summer!

Roger That! My plan is to die young - as LATE as possible! Or, as it has also been said "I'd rather die LIVING than live DIEING."

I'm speeding because I have to get there before I forget where I was going.
05woody #431343 03/16/2011 2:02 AM
Stickman Yogi
Stickman Yogi
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Roger That! My plan is to die young - as LATE as possible! Or, as it has also been said "I'd rather die LIVING than live DIEING."

Well said and yes, cheers to that!

Live to love, love to live.
Keith #431344 03/16/2011 8:42 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
wow, reading thru these I may be a bit boring.

I grew up on a hog farm in western NY (yes it is dairy country, no one told my dad) my last year of high school he decided to sell the farm and move us all to northern california.
finshed school in CA, went to CSUS as pre med, got cell and mole degree. Decided that I didn't want to be a doctor. Switched to engineering, but needed a job first. had been doing machine work part time at various shops since I was 15. So got a job as a apprentice machinist in Modesto, went to school part time for the next thirteen years, 2 more degrees. Worked for a government research facilty as a master machinist for many years, big layoff back in '92, so I started a small brewery up in the sierra foothills with some other folks (seemed like a good idea). Ran that for 5 years and then had to get a real job.
I've been working as an engineer for a large food container company since '97. Travel all over US, europe and the UK for work. Lived in 5 different states so far ( and been in all but 2)

married 25 plus years (to the same gal) 2 kids (now adults)

have been riding motorcycles for 39 years so far. all makes and models.

have a small machine shop to make my own bike parts, sled motors, psycho lawn mowers and such.

odd side bar - was on county search and rescue team, and trained by US border patrol to track humans!

05 speedmaster - 1100cc, 11:1 racing pistons, Carillo rods, thunderbike cams, ported and polished head, 2mm over intake and exhaust valves, Barnett kevlar clutch, scepter pipes, oversize manifolds, 45mm HSR's, TTP stage 4 firestarter
mag10 #431345 03/16/2011 8:45 PM
Second Wind
Second Wind
Not at all boreing. Good story.

StandingBull #431346 03/16/2011 11:39 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I'm a Retired Navy Chief. I live in Texas (where else would I). Other places are great to visit, but it's the Great State for me. With my BA I ride where I will. I'm a happy camper.

Pacific Blue/White 2009 America in the TX Hill Country Not all that glitters is gold. Tolkien. Hmm Must've seen the chrome on my TA coming down the road.
mag10 #431347 03/17/2011 6:00 AM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Mag10 - not boring at all. As for everyone who is participating in this thread - reducing our lives to a few sentences risks taking most of the meaning out of the story - but you did good - and you've done a lot! How many degrees? I would be proud if I had just one.

I was imagining reading between the lines - government research facility, huh, hmmm, any military connection? 5 years in the perfect job (brewery) and you left it???

Cheers, Richard
~~~~~~~~~~~~
FeHorse #431348 03/17/2011 6:03 AM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Marlin, sounds like you're pretty settled there in Texas. I guess when you find the right place, why would ya move?

Cheers, Richard
~~~~~~~~~~~~
foglefar #431349 03/18/2011 10:10 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

Marlin, sounds like you're pretty settled there in Texas. I guess when you find the right place, why would ya move?

I'd have to say that is true. Been around this big ole disk a few times (including your neck of the woods in the late 80's). I still like coming home.

By the way, while in Brisbane I took a train out to a little town where there was a private country club. Can't remember the name, but the rail line ended there. Hung out with some Aussie Vietnam Vets. Good times.

Pacific Blue/White 2009 America in the TX Hill Country Not all that glitters is gold. Tolkien. Hmm Must've seen the chrome on my TA coming down the road.
FeHorse #431350 03/18/2011 8:57 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
The place you visited could have been Eagle Farm (The Royal Queensland Golf Club) if it was beside the river, or Mt Ommaney (The Mcleod Golf Club - near Enoggera Military Camp) or it could have been something further out of Brisbane. I wasn't in Brisbane in the 80s so the train lines may have changed/extended since then.

Cheers, Richard
~~~~~~~~~~~~
foglefar #431351 03/18/2011 10:37 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Tell me what it is about Texas that charms you.

Smokey3214 #431352 03/19/2011 12:41 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

Tell me what it is about Texas that charms you.

Hmmm, love the land, particularly the Hill Country. There's a lot of places that have bigger mountains, vaster rivers, hotter deserts, greener pine forests, and flatter plains - but here we have it all. I can ride all year long. We count non ride seasons in hours, maybe a day or two.

We have one of the longest continuous beaches in the country, we have rivers, we have fairly large deserts, and we have pine forests. We have a couple of grand canyons (Palo Verde for one). Really huge (and irritating cities), and great food. Our GDP is approximate to France. We have one of the key music capitols in the country (Austin). We have mountains (Mt Guadalupe is over 13K). We have a foreign country on our border, so when we're bored, we can go "abroad." It's real exiting these days. Most of the people in the state are good folks and straight up.

Yep, in the winters its cold (and its a wet cold with high winds). In the summer it's very hot (with high winds also). There's an old saying here, "If it don't stick, sting or bite, it's a rock and will stub your toe." So in places, its still pretty wild. On my place alone, I have whitetail deer, turkey, raccoons, rabbits, hawks, coyotes, rattlers, copperheads, wild pigs, skunks, scorpions, and a trove of spiders (and don't forget the Fire Ants). Scary? Only to the unititiated.

It's offset with some of the most beautiful wild flower displays you'll ever see. Bluebonnets are already up and covering places. Soon indian blankets, wine cups, black-eyed susans, cacti, etc, will be following.

I can go on, but I figure some of you may be rubbin your eyes about now. Did I mention, I ride year round. On some of the twistiest benders you'll come across (and in a very wild setting).

Yep, love my home state. I am a native Texan. I can continue, but I'll let y'all catch up a bit.

FeHorse #431353 03/19/2011 12:54 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Richard, all I remember was the cabby dropping me off at a really swank place. It was a Sunday and all the pubs were closed. The cabby told he knew of a place, drove me a fair piece down the road. A large real nice white wood fence around a nicely kept horse track. Pretty good sized place. When I went in and asked for a beer, the barkeep asked for some ID. Puzzled, I offered my military card. "American are ya!" Welcome and have a seat he says. Turns out, its a private club, but he made me feel at home. The Aussie vets said they were a special forces bunch. Texans and Aussies together in one place. The tales were tall and fast coming. So were the pints. We partied until the place closed. They locked up, but we all stayed in because the barkeep was one of their mates. I kinda got nervous as the wee hours rolled around, because my ship was pulling out that morning, and I had no idea where I was or how to get back to Brisbane. No worries, the barkeep poured me into his car and drove me to my ship. Good memories. They represented your country well.

FeHorse #431354 03/19/2011 8:38 AM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
I have similar feelings about Western North Carolina. I moved here from Colorado 26 years ago and you couldn't move me out at gunpoint.

Smokey3214 #431355 03/20/2011 9:30 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I was born and raised in Forrestfield Western Australia and moved to Kalamunda in 63. This is part of the Darling Ranges about 25k from Perth our capital.
When I finished my apprentership in 76 I rode my 650 Yamaha to Kalgoorlie to work and ended up staying there for 12 years , bought a house and got married.
Before I settled down my wife and I travelled to Queensland and Northern Teritory in a V8 Ford ute and came home to Kalgoorlie from Alice Springs via the Gunbarrel Hwy.
After sleeping under the stars and buttering up vegimite sandwiches on the bonnet of the Ford for 3 months we were inseperable.
Before we started our family we went on the road for 6 weeks on my 1200 Superglide to South Aust. and up to Mildura then Melb via Bendigo Castlemaine and Ballarat. We also slipped over to Tassie for a week. That was 30 years ago.
We now live just out of Collie , have 3 great kids , chooks , 5 sheep , a black labrador due to have pups in about 2 weeks and a budgie. Two eldest kids no longer at home but on good terms . Married 32 years.
I have been riding since 1972 and now own a 2007 Speedmistress (15 months) , 83 K100 BMW (5years) 72 Honda 750 (16 years) 1928 BSA (12 months)
I have been collecting vinyl records for many years and have become involved our local community radio , this is voluntary but I get paid with the pleasure I get from sending out the music to the people who are my audience.
My show which I've done nearly every Friday night from 8.00 to 11.00 for 3 years is called RIXMIX and It has become a big part of my life

Silky #431356 03/20/2011 8:39 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Good story Rick. Living on the road in the ute (pick-up) and then on the bike sounds really cool. How do you get to retire at your young age, huh? Lucky bugger must have been more responsible with money than me . I am imagining this menangerie of yours - sort of a pastoral paradise.

Cheers, Richard
~~~~~~~~~~~~
foglefar #431357 03/20/2011 9:41 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
A couple of thing helped me get to the position I am in now the first of course is being a Boilermaker with the ability to make good money and second is having a good Aussie country girl for a wife who stood by me through thick and thin.
I've smashed myself up a couple of times on bikes , run over myself with my own car , fallen in the fire drunk , been hospitalised with back injuries.
I accepted the Lord as my personal savior and yet I still struggle with my vices. I believe I am truely blessed.
Feral and rough to the super straights but what would they know about the real me anyway.

Silky #431358 03/20/2011 10:56 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Quote:

I accepted the Lord as my personal savior and yet I still struggle with my vices. I believe I am truely blessed.

Yep, me too (I mean both the struggle and the blessing).

Quote:

Feral and rough to the super straights but what would they know about the real me anyway.

Cheers, Richard
~~~~~~~~~~~~
perceval #431359 03/21/2011 6:00 PM
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
Hi my name is Paul, originally from Bristol am self employed, moved to Cornwall 3 years ago so I could be around for my Dad who is 80, always wanted to live near the coast, Bristol has a set of traffic lights every 100 yards and is a traffic jam from 7am to 6pm just hard work during the day.
I leave home now and its country roads in all directions accept south where I would need a boat or a surf board

FrankW #431360 03/26/2011 3:50 AM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
I have been reading this thread and find all of the back round interesting and I feel I know you guys better. CHEERS for the suggestion.

The whole “Who am I” deep thoughts, good answers, and everyone is right in my opinion. I think I lean towards;

“We are the sum of all our attitudes and rights and wrongs. The lessons we have learned and how we incorporate them into our daily living.” —man now my head hurts!

So here is what I shall add.

I am the third son of an Episcopal minister and my mother is a nurse. I have two older brothers. Age spread of 4 and 6 years. I remember rough times, as well as the good.

My motorcycle bug hit me when my cousin took me for a ride on his Bomadere Can-Am 175 Enduro. I was hooked and he became the coolest cousin in history!

I grew up and it was not until Jr. High that a friend had a Honda trail 70 that I got to actually drive. In the middle of this and becoming an adult I was a heavy metal fanatic, OH wait, I still am! I became best friends with a guy who helped me to play guitar. I tell people I suck at it but I love it and it makes me feel good. A few no where jobs after high school which led to joining the Navy. Lots of good friends made, stories told, and hangovers shared. I learned a good trade (aviation metal smith), then learned a better one (Non-destructive inspections) and now 20 years of service later I am an Ultrasound inspector for Bell Helicopter. I have a wife who, like others have mentioned, is great and has somehow put up with me and my slight imperfections all this time. My 3 kids make me proud and they all love to ride with me. I highly value honest friendships. When I meet a new person, I don’t pretend to be something I’m not. What you see is what you get. I will end this with a movie quote I have always liked from 1985’s Silverado. Kevin Kline’s character Payden.

“I always figure you might as well approach life like everybody’s your friend or nobody is; don’t make much difference.”

Cheers!

Mal: "Y'all see the man hanging out of the spaceship with the really big gun?{ref, Jayne} Man's lookin' to kill some folk. So really, it's his will y'all should worry about thwarting."
beamer #431361 03/27/2011 8:50 AM
Second Wind
Second Wind
I think FeHorse sumed up Texas quite well.

These stories are great insights as to who we are in contact with here, and I enjoy reading them.
I find it admireable to be able to sum things up like this. This is the best thread on the whole site.

beamer #431362 03/28/2011 10:41 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
P.S.

I forgot to mention why I live where I live.

Started life in WV, 15 yrs, then to Western NC,six yrs till I joined the service.

I'm a transplant here in TX. My wife (met her in NC) is from SanAntone so I made a visit or two out here, got stationed, in South TX. Fell in love with the hill country.
A short stint in WA state, and back to Ft Worth. Mineral Wells counts as the northern edge of the Hill Country. I did not get to retire "IN" the Hill Country, but I can live with the edge of it.

For the rest of it, +2 on FeHorses post.

Mal: "Y'all see the man hanging out of the spaceship with the really big gun?{ref, Jayne} Man's lookin' to kill some folk. So really, it's his will y'all should worry about thwarting."
beamer #431363 04/07/2011 9:31 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Me, well, born in the UK and worked as a Fleet Engineer in the Health Service until 50 when I was made redundant.
Used the redundancy money to open a garage specialising in performance tuning VW/Audi cars.
Spent 12 years drag-racing with the VWDRC and built several cars including the Beetle in my avatar and this little baby.

Won the championsip in 1998 and decided to call it a day.

Decided on a change so I sold the garage, bought a 36' Winnebago and ran a summer campsite in the UK. Down to Spain every winter for a bit of sunshine.
We lived, full-time in the Winnie for five years and then decided it was time to settle down (a bit).

I love the UK, both the countryside and the people. What I didn't like was the increasing 'political correctness' that has crept into that society. Shouting at the television was the signal that it was probably time to move.

We used to visit France when the kids were little and loved the place so we stopped one January in Poitiers (its in the middle) and looked around at properties to buy.

Eventually found the rambling old farmhouse we now live in and are very happy. It is very quiet, few neighbours, virtually no crime. Bike roads are excellent but the police (gerndarmes) have recently discovered the vast untapped income available from speeding motorists and so speed-traps are now part of everyday life. I've just slowed down and am able to smile smugly in my helmet as I pass their hidden cameras.

Bikes, well a lot of sports bikes and stuff. My last three bikes were Triumph Sprint ST's. (great bikes) This is my first cruiser.(2009 America). I bought it from England over the phone, flew over and rode it back.

By the time I got home I hated it, uncomfortable to a point of real pain. I thought I'd made a big mistake.
Solved it with a backrest and gel-seat and now I'm very happy with it. first bike I've ever had that doesn't want you to go fast all the time.

Thats me in a nutshell. just turned 65, arthritis in most joints, deaf from messing with loud engines. I still have all my hair even if it has turned a vivid shade of grey. (My wife says I look distinguished)

Gary.

My girlfriend thinks I'm a stalker... Well, she's not actually my girlfriend yet.
Bugbear #431364 04/07/2011 6:46 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
The farmhouse in France sound idyllic. I watch the Tour De France on TV each year partly because I love seeing the French countryside. I would love to do a slow motorbike tour of France - all back roads and staying in villages.

Cheers, Richard
~~~~~~~~~~~~
foglefar #431365 04/08/2011 4:49 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
You would love it Richard and if you ever decide to do it we can always give you a bed for the night - or two.
Following the 'Tour' can be a bit hectic mind

Gary.

My girlfriend thinks I'm a stalker... Well, she's not actually my girlfriend yet.
Bugbear #431366 04/08/2011 6:15 AM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Cheers and thanks Gary. I doubt it will ever happen - more of a dream than anything.

Cheers, Richard
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Keith #431367 04/13/2011 1:50 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Was born in the Territory of Alaska (before it became a State) lived most of young life in Minnesota. Joined the Navy lived in Italy for two years and traveled the Mediterranean, went to be with the USMC in North Carolina for a year and came back to Minnesota and went to Paramedic School (1980) Moved to Appleton, Wisconsin for a job and then moved to Superior, WI for a better paying job. I used to love winter, now it pretty for two days and I want it gone. Still in Wisconsin and want to move to warm...someday or become independently wealthy and fly where ever I want when I want but that is not looking too realistic at the moment.

[color:"blue"] www.fasteddysports.com [/color]
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard