by Feral, November 28
GaRally22
GaRally22
by chy, September 18
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Who are you, Why do you live where you live?
#431288 03/05/2011 6:24 AM
FrankW Offline OP
I live in the sun downunder
OP Offline
This thread will either be a great success or a complete failure.

To start off I will tell you a little of my history. I was born and brought up in the slums of Moss Side which is a suburb of Manchester in the UK. That was in 1947, which will tell you my age. I left Manchester Grammar School in 1963 and served my apprenticeship as a motor mechanic at one of our local car dealerships. I didn’t like wrenching for a living so went back to Uni. I got a degree in Metallurgy, which I thought was the bee’s knees until I found that I could earn a lot more money by doing other things. (Some legal, others borderline)

In 1980 the UK was going through what I knew to be a mini depression and the factory that I was managing at the time was on the verge of closure,so I decided that a change of country was in order. I had two young children (a son 10 and a daughter 7) and I didn’t see any future for them in the UK or to that matter for myself.

After applying for positions in different countries (Canada, South Africa, USA & Australia) I decided Australia was the go. It was the degree that did it, even though I have never had a job that gave me the opportunity to use said degree. Other things always came along. I have managed a plastic extrusion factory, managed a paper conversion factory, managed a strip club and owned a Hotel / Motel to name but a few. I have never been very tolerant with people that say “I can’t find a job” there is always work out there, just keep looking never give up. You will find it in the end.

The reason I live where I live are numerous and varied.

We live in Bundaberg on the East Coast of Queensland Australia, it has a subtropical climate. Winter sees us with daytime temperatures of 17 to 20c. Summer is usually 30 to 33c. Our cost of living is very good and a reasonable standard of living is assured. I have travelled extensively through different countries of the world (Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and most countries of Europe) but I am always relieved when I get home.

Being a person with permanent itchy feet I could probably write a book about my exploits but for now that is enough about me. Lets hear about you, and why you live where you live .

All I know about Canada is that Keith and Greg live there.

All I know about Texas is that Chad lives there.

All I know about Arizona is that Dwight lives there.

I would like to know who you are and why you live where you live. You must live where you live for a reason, never complain about where you live, you can always move. If you don’t want to share that’s OK, if you want to share please tell us.

FrankW Ex Speedmaster rider, went to the Dark Side now riding an America.
Re: Who are you, Why do you live where you live?
FrankW #431289 03/05/2011 7:10 AM
3/4 Throttle
3/4 Throttle
I live in Buckinghamshire England because I can't sell my house at the moment. it's quite a nice place and if we hadn't decided to move to the USA I certainly wouldn't grumble about living here. I like where I work and have some good mates here.

Hopefully soon I'll be living somewhere in the woods in Massachusetts.

The good thing about still being in England is the fact I don't have to dress up like an eskimo at the moment to go outside, I can get decent tea bags at the shops and I don't have to sit and watch hours of advertisments on the tv for medical devices and insurance.

The bad thing about still being in England is I still have no bike after being "renaulted", my wife and furniture are all in the USA and I really don't want to be here anymore.

I'll be honest I'll miss people over here but then again I'll meet new people over there, even if they do speak a tad bit strange and can't spell words like colour, flavour and honour properly.

Before the war on terror, if I saw an unattended package I used to think "I'll be having that!"
Stretchermonkey #431290 03/05/2011 7:24 AM
FrankW Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Graham, I moved to OZ 31 years ago and have not looked back. I found that I was so busy doing all the things that you have to do when moving to another country, you just find yourself sliding into the way of life wherever you settle. My kids are now grown up and are more Australian than you can imagine. I never wanted to leave the UK, but once I settled in OZ I knew it was the best thing I ever did.

To quote my daughter who went back to the UK 8 years ago. Her husband was working on a telecommunications contract.

"Dad how could you ever live there, nice to visit, live there, no way" She also said the same thing after spending time in the USA when her husband was working another contract.

I think the Australian way of life and our standard of living had a lot to do with it.

FrankW #431291 03/05/2011 7:58 AM
3/4 Throttle
3/4 Throttle
Well I have the house in Massachusetts, know the area reasonably well now and know a few people over there - even got to meet a few people off the site over there.

So it's not like I'm totally in the dark about moving over there.

Just remains the issue of getting a job - but ive been practicing by putting chips into tiny bags, heavily salting them, asking if I'd like to supersize myself and then charging myself a fortune for the pleasure of it.

Before the war on terror, if I saw an unattended package I used to think "I'll be having that!"
Stretchermonkey #431292 03/05/2011 8:02 AM
FrankW Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:

Well I have the house in Massachusetts, know the area reasonably well now and know a few people over there - even got to meet a few people off the site over there.

So it's not like I'm totally in the dark about moving over there.

Just remains the issue of getting a job - but ive been practicing by putting chips into tiny bags, heavily salting them, asking if I'd like to supersize myself and then charging myself a fortune for the pleasure of it.

You'll do well Bruce if you can remember to say "Would you like fries with that "

FrankW #431293 03/05/2011 11:14 AM
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
After growing up in Utah, then being in the U.S. Navy for a couple years, I moved around a lot (California, Colorado, Nevada). Ended up in Oregon, was tired of moving. Been stuck here ever since.

FrankW #431294 03/05/2011 11:58 AM
Stickman Yogi
Stickman Yogi
I'll get to this for sure, Frank... just that I got a fragmented day ahead and want to be somewhat focused when I reply.

Live to love, love to live.
Soren #431295 03/05/2011 12:09 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
I'm the youngest of 7. I was born in Pennsylvania, then moved to New Jersey,
when I was 9 we moved to Wisconsin,
which is a native american word meaning, "colder than the Devil's Heart".
At the age of 16, my Dad said, "We're moving to Florida."
I snuck off into the woods with the snow shovel and an axe.
The snow shovel never made it out again.
I love the weather in Florida. We also have the largest population of
beautiful women I've ever seen, and their wardrobes are wonderfully climate appropriate.
We have a shortage of curved roads, but the faster you go,
the more fun you can have on a straight road. Especially
if you throw in a bit of traffic for variety. And in South
Florida, we have this 200 mile long city-upon-city-upon-city
that can be great fun to blast through. The economy has
taken a big hit, but, same thing everywhere. At least I can
ride my bike all year 'round. BTW, I've lost 4 days of riding
in 33 years due to Hurricanes.

Steelheart- '03 Speedmaster Black/Yellow The Hayabusa Killa 16" Shorties/140 mains/Airbox drilled Procom CDI "There is no cure for Celibacy. But we can treat the symptoms."
FrankW #431296 03/05/2011 1:13 PM
3/4 Throttle
3/4 Throttle
Born and raised in Gods own country worked in various countries throuout europe Germany,Spain, France, Italy,Switzerland and done the back packing bit around the world. Kept making the big mistake of coming home when I should have taken up the offers to stay in various locations. Spent 6 months tpouring the states and decided lovely country but I would never be able to settle as there is too much to see.

I have all I need here in Scotland and some of the finest scenery any where in the world. We also have the best whisky of any country made from the cleanest water. I cannot be doing with this paying for health care either.

Am fine where I am

I cannot decide whether to be a good example or a horrible warning ! Peace & respect http://www.tomcc.org/gg/ Eric
FrankW #431297 03/05/2011 2:08 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Native Houstonian, son of two school teachers. Dad actually coached high school football until I was about out of Jr. High, then retired as the ag teacher at LaPort High School. Mom taught 2nd grade.

I have an Ag-Business degree I've never used, and a Real Estate license I never used, either.

I worked for Goodyear Tire out of college (retail stores), got the RE license, dabbled at it for about 6 months, but with mouths to feed, had to get a real job again with steady income. Worked for a large uniform company (G&K Services) for 9 1/2 years - ran a "Super-Route" consisting of really large stops. Was "Route Salesman of the Year" in 1998, out of aprox. 1500 routes in North America, but I knew I couldn't stay on the route the rest of my life (hard on the knees and ankles, among other things), but I would have taken a huge pay cut to get off the route and stay with the company. One of my accounts, Westside Lexus, began building another dealership on the northside of Houston, so I applied for a Service Consultant position early in 1999, and they hired me. Been there ever since. No different than the uniform route, just providing good customer service....making friends, forming relationships....

Though I was raised in Pasadena, Tx, (a suburb of Houston), I never lived in Houston proper until I met my current wife of 10 years. I actually was more of a "county boy" through high school, college, and my early career with Goodyear, but I'm afraid the Big City has taken most all of that out of me...I don't even go camping anymore, and I used to camp out a lot, and have lots of gear. That's life in the Big City.

I'm ready for the country again, though. My three kids are almost all out of college now, and I should be able to back of the hectic lifestyle and slow down a bit then.

I never rode a motorcycle until I bought my Speedmaster. Took the class and bought her without even a test ride. My mind was made up. I knew what I wanted. Never would have happened if this forum did not exist. I would have likely gotten over my itch and never ever got into motorcycling if not for BonnevilleAmerica.com

Keith
Houston
Ridin'Texas
'04 Speedmaster
AI removed, Pingle, UNI Filter, 1 shim, straight-through slash-cut TORs, Stage 1 DynaJet, 140 mains, 3 turns, 16/42 final drive, 115K
2020 T120 Black
Blackwind #431298 03/05/2011 6:48 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Well, I was born and raised in Timmins Ontario. Lived here all my life. Oldest of 4 kids. High school and college education (Trade school). Actually spent 1 year in university taking an English major but that didn't last. Happily married at 23 and had 4 sons. All out of the house now with 1 married and 1 grandaughter (my 3 year old buddy). They live in Edmonton Alberta, Waterloo and Toronto Ontario, and here.

Timmins is a resource town. Called the "City with the Heart of Gold". People have been mining in this area for over 110 years. Gold, copper, nickel, silver and zinc are some of the metals mined. Hockey is part of the Timmins heritage. We have many hockey players that have made the National Hockey league. Currently have over 50,000 people living here.

Became an automotive mechanic at 20 and worked for a GM dealership for 8 years until 1980. Left that job to work as a heavy equipment mechanic underground at one of the deepest mines in the world. Currently have my Class A with Diesel Endoursement and Heavy Equipment certificates. Worked as a mechanic until 1988 when I got into supervision. At that time our underground garages were situated on the 1200 foot, 2800 foot and 4600 foot levels. The shop on the 4600 foot level was longer than a football field with 2 large 10 ton cranes. We currently have a shop on the 7500 foot level that is quite large. We maintain a fleet of loaders, haul trucks, and drills. Current depth of the mine is 9600 feet. Been working here for over 30 years, now as a superintendent of the mobile maintenance department.

Have had the opportunity to travel on business to Agentina, Chile, Finland, Dominican Republic, US, and all accross Canada. Expect to retire in 3 or 4 years.

Winters usually see my wife and I travelling to Forida or Myrtle Beach for a break. Have even been to Houston and Galviston a couple of years ago. Winter activities used to be heavily linked to snowmobiliing and downhill skiing until some injuries took place. Winter is not our "cup of tea" now. Eventually want to move to Southern Ontario.

Staying in Timmins for now because of work, family and church. Great place to live but summers are too short and the roads mediocre for motorcycles.

Frank, thanks for starting this post. Already appreciated the input from the group...getting to know everyone a little better.

12 Rocket Roadster
03 Bonneville America
69 BSA Firebird Scrambler
73 Yamaha TX 750
Gregger #431299 03/05/2011 7:34 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Hi, my name is mike and I have lived in Wisconsin for 53 years. One of 5 kids, only boy, worked in a commercial feed mill for 8 years until I got a job at the regional utility company. Married in '80 2 kids, HEY, NO NODDING OFF! and got my first bonneville in '81 and sold it in 87 to help buy the first house. Bought the speedy in 06 and I wish I could take my job and move south 2 states because WINTER IS TOO ^%#%$@^% LONG. Other words my job keeps me here, or my fear of starting over.

mike

2006 neon blue speedmaster
mike57 #431300 03/05/2011 9:11 PM
I'm Ken. Just turned 50. I'm an Air Force brat so I've lived all over the states (and in Japan, too). I've been in North Carolina since '86. Work in IT (25 years now). Married since '84 to the same lovely lady. Been riding motorcycles since I was 11 or 12 - on the street since I was 15. Bought a Bonnie Black last December - my first Triumph.
Ken

Last edited by KRyder; 03/06/2011 9:39 AM.
mike57 #431301 03/05/2011 9:18 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Hi I'm Mike born & raised on Long Island. Came to New Paltz on my tour of college education . Moved to Kingston, Pa to work @ my dad's steel fabrication shop that was in Hazleton. after 8 yrs. & a huge blowout between me & the old man, The wife & I came back to New Paltz where we met. Bought the house in 99 & they're taking me outta here feet first. Great riding roads, close to everything but still the country (measured in cow proximity)lots of great scenery, and on any given day I can see some kid with blue hair (did I mention college town?) Ok the winter can be rough, but no hurricanes, tornadoes, mudslides, or entire counties on fire.

"Got the wind in my face the road goes on for miles...."
KRyder #431302 03/05/2011 9:21 PM
Saddle Sore
Saddle Sore
Well , I was born a poor black child ........

I had a wild ride through college and life in general , got a Triumph and then just the other day I found this huge cache of bubble wrap and now I have found a new passion .

2005 Model . Two Fast Eddy stickers , a bell and a clock . She's Lola . She tinkles and keeps time . http://s649.photobucket.com/albums/uu211/britbike05/
Wade #431303 03/05/2011 9:55 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Well for starters I'd say great success on the thread Frank.

Now the narcissistic side. I moved to Michigan for love. Met my beautiful wife and have three kiddos. Gotta say if I can get 7 months in on my bike wearing my carhartts it's a good year.

Started working for another doc here in battle creek and then finally opened my own practice in kalamazoo in 2009. Been a great ride being my own boss.

Am a little envious of those Oz'ers and southerns that ride year round but a white Christmas is pretty cool too.

Too be a little cheesy it's nice to learn more about the people I "talk" to a lot and realize where they are coming from in life. I get a lot of friendly ribbing from my sweetie for trolling this site constantly but I enjoy the knowledge and friendships of ambiguity.

Great to know you guys and those few and far between gals

Brett

Blue/White, Battery Relocated, 155/45's, AI removed, Cocktail shakers
08America #431304 03/05/2011 10:21 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
If i were to tell you all, I would have to kill you, all.....

davespain #431305 03/05/2011 10:27 PM
FrankW Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:

If i were to tell you all, I would have to kill you, all.....

With the name of your location it wouldn't suprise me.

FrankW #431306 03/06/2011 9:27 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
I blame it on WWII.

WWII duty stationed my parents in Colorado (Army and WAC) and my Dads' sister's husbands to Jacksonville, FL (career USMC and Navy). My Dad's folks left Philadelphia to keep their daughters company in Florida while their husbands were deployed in the Pacific. In 1955, Dad and (pregnant) Mom decided to visit the family in Florida for a while. A few months later, I arrived. With babysitters galore, they decided to sell off their Colorado property and move here. Before long, my Mom's parents came down from Minnesota.

As I got older, the beach kept me close, then jobs to support my habits.

Ironically, my folks took off to the mountains of North Carolina and I'm the only one left in Florida now. The wife's family is also in NC, so we've thought about relocating a few times, but it's more fun to visit whenever we feel like it and then come "home".

FrankW #431307 03/06/2011 10:08 PM
"Lighten up, Francis."
"Lighten up, Francis."
Okay, I'll bite. Let's go stream of consciousness...

1967-1981: California. My parents were living in La Habra when I was born, but my dad's poor directional and driving skills at the time meant I was born in Bellflower, the first hospital he found. Other locations lived: Hawthorne and El Toro (now Lake Forest). Catholic school 1st-3rd grade. Junior All-American Football at 8 years old. Hated it. Cub scouts. Picked up the trombone in 5th grade. Learned most of the more serious profanity in 4th grade at my first public school. Homemade Darth Vader costume also in 5th grade, complete with paper-maché mask. I don't know why I admitted that. Someday I'll scan the picture.

1981-1988: Montana. Serious wakeup call. Culture shock. Even starting out in Billings, the largest city in the state. But clean air, nicer people and much less crime. Delivered newspapers in the snow through junior year of High school. Took computer programming classes and was even a lab aid but it only went so far. Nerdy but not that techy. Trombone continues, marching band, symphonic band, jazz band. Good times. Phone company break up made us choose between Salt Lake (AT&T) and Helena (Mountain Bell). We chose Helena. Finished last year of high school there. Went to MSU to become an architect. Wanted to design houses since 7th grade. Hated it. Switched to Graphic Design. Left for Colorado after 3 years. Gave up the trombone after my sophomore year.

1988-1998: Colorado. Followed my family when dad got transferred to Denver by Ma Bell. Set out immediately on my own and worked for 3 years before I'd had enough and returned to college to finish the degree in Graphic Design (CSU). Didn't really like that "scene" (the graphic design scene, not college) but it was better than working for a living. Thankfully the Internet age was dawning and I could work my way away from those art snobs. It was tough being a fledgling designer in Denver. When a job came up in Helena, I jumped at it. Still had friends there, my brother-from-another-mother that I knew since high school, and mother and grandmother had moved back after mom divorced dad. He eventually moved back to California. God knows why...

1998-present: Montana, Take 2. Helena. Same job, 13 years and counting. Bought a little house in '99. Got dumped by a gal right after 9/11 and the following Spring, still walking wounded, bought my first bike, the 2002 Bonneville America. THAT was love at first sight. There have been a few more women in my life but they all fade away or get booted. The bike stays (like it has a choice). Aside from my immediate family, a few of my closer friends and my bike, this site is the best thing that's ever happened to me. I'm beyond gratified that I've been able to take an active roll in running it, enhancing it and making sure it stays online for the foreseeable future.

And that just scratches the surface.

So I've now lived in Montana most of my life. It has definitely changed, not always for the better, but it still has a bit of that pioneering spirit and comes nowadays with all the modern conveniences...

BA.com Caretaker | Friarsride | jb.com
FrankW #431308 03/06/2011 11:51 PM
Stickman Yogi
Stickman Yogi
I'm still waiting for, "Hi, my name's Dave and I'm a chromeaholic!

Meanwhile... well Frank I'm a baby boomer born in '52 on the lone prairie. Spent my first 14 years there doing farm stuff and trying to be good under the wing of my father the preacher man. In '66 the family moved to BC (most westerly region of Canada) to a place called Trail which is in an area known as the Kootenays. This is also the place I live now!

I took to the mountains quite readily and while attending high school did everything I could to be outdoors. Hiking, fishing, hunting, exploring, skiing... good wholesome 'being a teen' stuff. Then, after discovering Timothy Leary and the whole "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" thing I turned hippie. Drugs, the cutest girls ever, motorcycles, folk music, protesting wars and generally following Leary's "Turn on, tune in, drop out" philosophy became a way of life.

Then, shortly after getting about as high as drugs could take me I got spiritual... found a Guru, started meditating, stopped drugs and lived in an Ashram. That was from about 74-76 but I gotta tell you, the celibacy thing was too much for me and I moved out of the Ashram, married a gal and had 2 kids. The hippie thing started creeping back again and in '78 I moved to the bush (mountain forests) and lived first on a homemade houseboat on Kootenay Lake, then up on a mountain with wood heat, no electricity or phone and all that stuff. I worked as a carpenter and loved the lifestyle but, I became quite hermitized... marriage failed and I moved to Vancouver Island to join the rest of society.

From there I entered the field of computers. That was in '85 when no one knew how to use them or what to use them for. I saw an opportunity to make good coin so I educated myself and worked in the industry as a 4GL programmer, instructor, and finally IT tech building LANS and WANS. That's what got me into Africa.

94-99 worked in Zimbabwe building computer networks for the govt. Came home and back to BC where I have worked as a carpenter ever since (although I don't need to work full time anymore). I love it here where I live... and having seen other parts of the world I have to say this place is amazing. Sure we have winter but I am grateful we do. When I lived in Africa I wished so much that it would cool down, that the bugs, lizards and snakes would subside, that the earth would rest so I could too. When summer hits here it's so intoxicating I don't think I could handle it year round... I'd be in a constant state of breathlessness.

Anyway... there's a story for ya. I probably did the "road less traveled" thing but I wouldn't change it and will continue to explore my many options as a person on the planet.

Keith #431309 03/07/2011 9:48 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Name's Jim

I was born in Kingston, on the 'proverbial' other side of the tracks, in '67. My father worked low paying jobs, which meant we didn't qualify for the subsidies given to those on welfare. I spent my first 12 years in Kingston followed by a couple in Toronto and then on to Windsor. Until Grade 10 I was in a different school every year, sometimes 2. My parents split when I was in Grade 4 and my mom remarried. As a teenager I was a real a$$. I thought I knew everything (typical teenager, lol). When I was 18, in grade 13 (weird Ontario thing that was renamed mid 80's and eliminated mid 90's) my family moved to England because my step fathers mother was dieing. I stayed and ended up dropping out of school and spent a year living in parking garages, homeless shelters and friends basements.

At 25, after a series of bad jobs I decided to go back to school. I took a qualifying course at the local university (University of Toronto) and enrolled the following year. I joined the varsity rowing team (where I met my wife), completed my BSc, and realizing how much easier school was than working and wanting to avoid repaying my, interest free while in school, student loans stayed in and completed my MSc and PhD (Organic Chemistry).

Unfortunately as I was finishing my PhD, with plans on getting job in the research triangle, North Carolina, we went into a recession and all the research jobs dried up. The only job I could find was working for the government (intellectual property) in Ottawa. The pay is low compared to private sector jobs in my field but above average for the area. This coupled with a great pension and work hours make the lower pay almost acceptable.

I'm now married with 2 kids and living the suburban life style.

Wade #431310 03/07/2011 9:52 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

Well , I was born a poor black child ........

I had a wild ride through college and life in general , got a Triumph and then just the other day I found this huge cache of bubble wrap and now I have found a new passion .

Nice to see you have found a new hobby.

ljpm #431311 03/07/2011 10:47 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I'm Brian. I'm 35yrs old been riding 2yrs.

Born and raised in New Bedford MA. Still live here. Moved away twice. First time was to go to college in Worcester MA. Came back after 2yrs of drinking 7 days a week. Mom & Dad said come home and go to the state school down the road and pay for it yourself. So I did.

Dropped out after a year and got a job in a factory. About 6 months in the factory was all I needed to realize I didn't want to do that for the rest of my life. So I went back to the state school UMass Dartmouth. Took classes during the day and worked 3rd shift 10pm to 6am full time. Finished my BS in Management Information Systems in 2 yrs.

Moved to Portsmouth, NH for work in the IT field. Was there for about 2yrs. Then my Mom died @51. I moved back to New Bedford to help my younger brother take care of my Dad who doesn't drive due to epilepsy and heart issues.

Been here since. Not leaving again. Married with a 18yr old stepson who thinks being a high school dropout is cool and a 6yr old son who amazes me everyday.

Fooled around with my cousin's dirt bikes when I was a kid, but never owned one. Always wanted one. Finally in 2008 my father-in-law let me use his 1972 Bonnie that was just sitting in his garage. I was hooked, but unfortunately spent more time working on it because it sat for 3yrs than I did riding it.

Bought my 2006 BA last March. Didn't do a thing last summer but ride every chance I got. Found this site about the same time and I've been hooked since.

doza9372 #431312 03/07/2011 10:21 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
I am Thom Williams and I have lived up and down the eastern seaboard (my dad liked to change jobs, a lot). I have been married to the same wonderful girl for 24 years, we met in High School and started dating three days before graduation. We have had three kids, a son Zachary who passed away at 17 months (this plays into where and how I live) and two daughters, now 20 and 17 years old.

I joined the US Air Force right out of HS and spent 6 years on active duty and 4 years of active reserves fixing avionics on cargo airplanes(mostly C-5s but also 141s and 130s and whatever else hit our transient ramp at Dover AFB in DE. I was stationed there when my son passed and after that I got tired of being away from home all the time, so I got out and went to work as a copier repair man for a national company. They soon figured out that I was much better at electronics than the mechanical side of copiers and so I moved into the computer driven microfilm and document imaging systems. This led me to Atlanta to work in our tech support center and then our System Integration group before my Boss (at the time) and I decided to leave and start our own firm in 1999.

Still doing the small business thing. I now write custom software for healthcare and public health (mostly CDC). We stay here because after a long childhood of moving around and then being in the service... I was ready to settle. I moved to Atlanta in 1994 and have lived here longer than anywhere else in my life... making it home.

Thom I might be wrong, I sometimes am.
ThomWill #431313 03/08/2011 5:45 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
I had pretty much lived my whole life in Southern California, specifically the South Bay Beach area of Los Angeles county.

However, about 7 years ago, when my wife Judie and I were looking for a place to retire to, we thought of the time just a few years before that, in the winter of 2001, when we had driven through Prescott Arizona one early evening, and while on our way to see the Grand Canyon.

It was just a few weeks before Christmas at the time, and as we drove through this historic old west town(which served as the original territorial capital of Arizona from 1864 to 1867), the old town square was all lit up with Christmas lights, as was much of the town itself. Adding further to the quaintness of this was all the snow which had blanketed Prescott just the day before.

I kind of fell in love with the town right then and there, as while we were driving down Whiskey Row, I almost felt as if I would any minute spot George Bailey[Jimmy Stewart] running down the street and yelling "Merry Christmas, Mr. Potter!"

Well, we ended up purchasing a house here about 6 years ago and used it as a vacation home until Judie also retired at the end of 2009, whereupon a few months later we moved into it permanently, and now rent out our other house in California.

Due to Prescott being situated a mile high in elevation, the climate here is very temperate as compared to other parts of Arizona. Summertime temps rarely exceed 90F, and winters may bring two or three dustings of snow, but that usually melts away within a few days, as the average daytime temps during that part of the year is in the 50F range. Sunny days are the norm throughout the seasons, also.

There are Ponderosa Pine-filled mountains aplenty up here which have very well maintained highways running over and around them, and upon which are a blast to ride motorcycles.

(...oh, and I have to say I kinda miss the beaches of SoCal, but definitely NOT the multitudes of PEOPLE and the TRAFFIC that's now commonplace there!)

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
Dwight #431314 03/08/2011 6:43 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
I was born with a congenital heart problem and was a sickly child that would have died before reaching the age of 21 years. After a series of operations that were pretty much experimental in those days they fixed the problem and I still live as an example of their work.

When I reached the age of 13 years I rebelled as many teenagers do and became involved in alcohol, narcotics and motorcycles. Woman were in that mix too somewhere. Life became pretty much of a blur as a result. I did some bad things but I never stole anything or hurt anyone intentionally. It was mostly self abuse. I had alot of fun....I think, at least I remember some things that were fun. There was also alot of heartache as my parents went through a nasty divorce. I think I have blocked out alot of stuff. I have had a few family members pass away and my best mate got killed in a car crash. I started to realise I needed to clean my act up. I started working in Security jobs and gave up taking drugs and alcohol. I found a nice lady, got married and settled down.

My father died. I had a few encounters in my security role involving suicides and did'nt really handle it too well. One particular incident, a woman about my mothers age, jumped off the roof 5 carpark levels onto the roadway. I was first on the scene and she was still alive. You know the one day first aid course you do every three years to hold a security licence never really prepares you for this. I tried CPR and calling an ambo but she died anyway because her injuries were too severe. Its not like TV. You gotta handle these things because you are security and you are a man. You are not suppose to fall apart.
A couple of months later I had another jumper. This one was a male and he was already dead when I found him. When I found his car up on the roof it had a baby seat in the back. I left that job within a few days after that. Some people can handle this stuff but not me.

I started taking over the counter medications which I developed an addiction for many years for which only in the last 5 years I have kicked the habit and remained clean. I am however on antidepressants and will be forever.

I stayed in security but moved across into covert undercover jobs apprehending shoplifters and fraudsters. I did this amoungst other CIT work for a number of years up until recently when I lost my job last year. Now I am still looking for work.

Motorcycles have been part of my life since I was a teenager with only a brief period of ten years when I got married but my wife realised that I needed that release and we decided to buy another bike and I have been on them again ever since. When I was in that dark stage of my life I rode with a bunch of guys but these days I pretty much ride alone. Now I have two motorcycles, my 2006 speedmaster and my 1978 kz1000. I have no kids but I do have a loving and understanding wife.

I like all road bikes, just some more than others. I don't like bikers that dislike someone because of the brand of motorcycle they ride. This way of thinking is the way many Harley riders around here think and is the main reason I have never owned one. I am proud of riding my Triumph but could'nt care less if the guy I am riding with was on a honda. That is his choice, this is mine, move on.

Okay well that about sums me up so there you go. I am just a boring old fart now like the rest of youse.

stevieB #431315 03/08/2011 7:52 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Hi, I'm Gina

I'm not on here as much as I used to be, but I'm trying to get back in to the habit.

I'm in Bristol in England and I'm on my 3rd America. I still have the first one, and if I could have the second one back... I'd be happy (He was nicked.... )
I'm not from Bristol, but I've moved around a bit, due to one thing and another... However I've been in the same house now for 6 years and my feet are itching to move somewhere else.
I work on the railway as a Guard - it has another name in America, but don't ask what... and I love it. (Maybe why I haven't moved for a while...)
I'm one of that strange breed of bikers that rides every day - except in snow. I like the tank the shape it is... But I've been to ride at -10degC and not moaned. Heated gloves are great!
I've ridden a Speedie in Oz, met Sandmann, and that's as exciting as I get...

Gina 03 America - Pretty stock - except the TBS wheel... 06 America - missing, presumed in bits. With it's TBS wheel... 09 America - It's very blue....
GinaS #431316 03/08/2011 9:15 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I'm a quite boring person compaired to the rest of you by the look of it, I've not travelled out side of Oz as I cant see any reason to yet, I still have 1/2 of here to explore. I live where I do mainly because no where else is as good as it gets here, we don't have to worry about yellow snow, or black ice, unless your travelling through mountains in winter and except for this year being quite wet, the place is normally beautiful, out of 47 years that I've been here (Born & Bred)not to many have been bad the occasional flood or fire, but what the heck, were Aussies, we can handle it

“There is no heaven, there is no ******, except here on Earth.”
midnight7503 #431317 03/08/2011 10:32 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Great thread, great stories….Life!

As for me, it started in Montreal, Canada, in '67. First kid of 3, a skinny lad who just couldn't stop running! Into sports, all kinds. My favorites were skiing, football, tennis and cycling. My folks put me on a pair of skis at the age of 2… and moved on to be an racer and coach/instructor for 17 years. Also was recruited to play high school football, but my parents made me choose between skiing and football….

Was too smart for school (yeah right!) so didn't study much in high school… still managed to get decent grades. Discovered music in junior high. Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Rush, … you get the feel. Pre-college years were a blast! I "discovered" the party scene! Alcohol and other stuff, girls, not many hours of sleep! I was the "don't do like your older brother PLEASE" kind of example to my younger brother and sister. Still my parents trusted that I wouldn't do something completely stupid. Well, I did stupid things but never anything BAD. I respect others just as I expect respect from others. I am a friendly person, and I get even friendlier when I am under the influence of… whatever. Rave anyone?

College was great and finished way too fast! That's why I stayed a bit… Major and master in Environmental Biology, got a great job, a year later: recession. 180 turn, gave a shot to Architecture (my father's dream for me) stayed 3 years and bailed. I wanted to design houses for real people, but only jobs available were designing stairs for big firms or sell elevators. Did a year of computer studies, then decided to really start working, besides my ski instructor job.

A succession of different jobs from customer service and manager of outdoor stores like a small version of REI to selling billboards and other ad related stuff. That last one, I hated it. Ads people always want it for yesterday, and when something is wrong, it's never their fault…

Had a buddy who was living and working in Taiwan. Sent me an email every week for about a year for me to move to Taiwan! Got fed up of the ads scene and quit, a couple of weeks later, I was boarding a plane with a small backpack thinking of a nice 1 to 3 months long vacation / letting steam off and of new discoveries in an Asian world.

That was 9 years ago….

My backpack got too small to hold a house, a car, a nice America '06, surfboards, and lately, a drum set! Amazing how it turned out.

Also fell in love with a wonderful taiwanese girl and been married for 6 years this month.

There are many reasons for me to stick around this place. Even though my family is 25 flying hours away, on the other side of the planet, Taiwan is a wonderful place to live. The people are amazingly friendly, life is cheap, 6% income tax is really nice, and I live in a place stuck between ocean and mountains. Got the best of both! I am in the countryside, so clean air, no traffic, and lots of space to ride the bike. Freedom.

On the bad, Xmas is a hard time of the year for me... missing family and friends a lot. And no snow. At least I can always go back to visit them. I am now a visitor when I go to Canada, I enjoy all the good stuff while on vacation, and leave the not so good (shoveling the snow at 6am, traffic jams, feet in the "slush", ...) to get back to my home and life now In Taiwan.

We now have our own school, great countryside students, I traded my ski boots and jacket for a pair of swim shorts and a surfboard, recently got a set of drums and I have been banging on them more than riding the America… I guess she feels a little lonely these days!

All the best to you and enjoy every moments of your life. You never know where your feet will take you until you get up and start walking! I am glad I did… and … Keep Walking! (oh, I think that one is taken already!)

My new venture: http://www.voglosounds.com
perceval #431318 03/09/2011 1:45 AM
Stickman Yogi
Stickman Yogi
Quote:

All the best to you and enjoy every moments of your life. You never know where your feet will take you until you get up and start walking! I am glad I did… and … Keep Walking!

Great stories, EVERYONE!!! And Jeff, couldn't agree with you more!

Keith #431319 03/09/2011 3:12 AM
FrankW Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:

Quote:

All the best to you and enjoy every moments of your life. You never know where your feet will take you until you get up and start walking! I am glad I did… and … Keep Walking!

Great stories, EVERYONE!!! And Jeff, couldn't agree with you more!

They are great stories Keith, still some more I would like to read though.

One in particular, where's the chromeaholic.

FrankW #431320 03/09/2011 6:41 AM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Forgive me if I am deliberately a bit vague on specific details - I'm just a bit cautious about revealing specific identity info on the net.

I'm was born in the mid 50's and raised in one of New Zealand's cities. Started riding motorbikes at 15, formed my own rock band at 16, started work as an artist in the advertising industry at 17. Joined one of NZ's most well known rock bands at 18 and oscillated between advertising art and professional bands for about 10 years. My path so far was pretty wild and lubricated by drugs (my memory is a bit fuzzy). I had a pivotal spiritual experience and went to Bible College in my late 20's and married shortly after. I settled into advertising for the money and became a person I would now consider obnoxiously arrogant.

I worked in Thailand for one or the world's largest ad agencies but after my first marriage failed I returned to NZ. Struggling out of recession I co-founded a successful specialist ad agency with a business partner. I grew in business stature and unattractive character traits. I met my wonderful wife back in NZ and married her in my late 30s. I have visited LA, San Fran, Atlanta, New York and Maputo, Mozambique. The failure of a very large client who owed us $$$$ and embezzlement by my business partner resulted in the closure of my ad agency.

We moved to Brisbane 15 years ago because my wife's family were there ... and, because we had to start again, it made sense to move to a better climate.

I worked (read struggled) as a specialist consultant (and professional musician) for several years and realized I was over the hill for the ad business. I drove cabs night shift for a year. Was that ever humbling! But it was the best thing that could have happened to me for that reason. I got back into bike 7 years ago and got my black America 2 years ago.

I now help a mate manage his performance exhaust factory. I am soooo glad to be out of the ad industry. I don't particularly enjoy my job now but I really enjoy helping my mate and working with him.

My wife and I are very involved in our local church (nothing wacky - just a great, real community). We plan to move to a slightly cooler climate when we become unemployable - or maybe become gypsy's in a Winnebago selling my oil paintings and traveling around the country.

Cheers, Richard
~~~~~~~~~~~~
09 America, Staintune Pipes, K&N, Breathe, Hagon Nitros, AI & O2 removed, tune 20184 (modified), MTX-L a/f gauge
foglefar #431321 03/09/2011 7:04 AM
FrankW Offline OP
OP Offline
Richard that was great.

I also left a lot out of what I said. I have done quite a few things in my lifetime that I am not proud of. I started this thread to to get an insight of the people that are members.

I am only asking that people tell us only what they want to tell us and why they live where they live.

If they are on the run from the plod this would not be the place to tell all.

foglefar #431322 03/09/2011 11:34 AM
"Lighten up, Francis."
"Lighten up, Francis."
Quote:

Forgive me if I am deliberately a bit vague on specific details - I'm just a bit cautious about revealing specific identity info on the net.

My first thought was, "Witness Protection Program."

BA.com Caretaker | Friarsride | jb.com
FriarJohn #431323 03/09/2011 12:16 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I'm a pretty boring person.
Born in vallejo, ca. live there 20 years.
Got a job as a computer operator in San Jose, ca.
eventually ended up as a data analyst for lockheed in palo alto.... yes i know rocket scientists, and i'm not one.
after the research sattelite that i was suppose to analize the data for belw up on the launch platform i was laid off, there were about 5,000 of us that were laid off for all sorts of reasons. lockheed was going through a merger with martin merita.
so i floated between repairing copiers and working for the phone co and finally installing dsl lines for the next 15 years. so after 15 years of crawling underhouses, climbing telephone poles and being on call 24/7 i retired to what i do now. i run a mail/copy/form service for one of the local hospitals.
i am also a MSF instructor.
where i live i can ride 12 months out of the year, just that about 4 of those it's hit and miss with the rain.
i live in the wine country of northren ca., with my wife of 25 years, and 3 children 18-12 years.
funny i have never lived more than 70 miles from where i was born, never visited a foreign country not even mexico or canada. i have not been farther east than yellowstone.

If it isn't broke, I haven't messed with it.
Blackwind #431324 03/09/2011 12:23 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
I started riding at 18 which was 37 years ago. At 21 I criss crossed the US for 3 months on a Suzuki GT 550 which, at the time, was considered a mid sized bike. Seemed plenty big enough at the time. After college I tried a normal job and was bored to near insanity. I quickly found myself in Pensacola, FL training to be a naval officer and aviator. My flying days ended with an altitude related injury to my ears. I moved to Colorado and met the love of my life (who took up riding a couple years ago). We've been married 25 years. We moved to Western North Carolina after our wedding. I went back to school and became a paramedic. We had three kids. After a little too close a look at the darker side of life I again went back to school and became a speech pathologist. I work with hearing impaired children using cochlear implants. My own kids are nearly grown. Two in college and one recently graduated. My beautiful wife and I are semi retired but running out of money. I live in a log cabin on the side of a mountain. The Blue Ridge Parkway is four miles from the end of my driveway. Every road in every direction is amazing. I ride a Bonneville America and my wife rides a VFR. Life is good.

Smokey3214 #431325 03/09/2011 10:27 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Welcome to the site, Chet!

(...nice calling card there, btw!)

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
FriarJohn #431326 03/09/2011 10:54 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Quote:

My first thought was, "Witness Protection Program."

Hmmm. Is Friar calling me a stool pigeon ? ... Nah! He must mean the heavy bikers branch of the Jehovah Witness Protection Racket and their "offers you can't refuse".

Last edited by foglefar; 03/10/2011 6:28 AM.

Cheers, Richard
~~~~~~~~~~~~
09 America, Staintune Pipes, K&N, Breathe, Hagon Nitros, AI & O2 removed, tune 20184 (modified), MTX-L a/f gauge
Smokey3214 #431327 03/09/2011 11:35 PM
Stickman Yogi
Stickman Yogi
Welcome Chet... great 1st post!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard