Next Thread
Print Thread
Tools
#42731 03/08/2006 10:37 PM
chy Offline OP
Loquacious
OP Offline
Loquacious
So how about a tool section? I love tools... it's a mechanic kinda thing I guess. Found a new tool that's really nifty? Tell us about it. Was it worth the money? Did it do what it was supposed too? Would you recommend it? If so then tell us where you got it. If it sucked tell us that too cause we wouldn't want to buy a tool that sucks...

Re: Tools
chy #42732 03/08/2006 10:59 PM
chy Offline OP
Loquacious
OP Offline
Loquacious
Yeah I know... you think I just created the new thread so I could tell ya'll about this really cool chain tool I bought but hey... I can get away with it... I think....
Well here goes.. I got this spiffy chain tool in the mail this evening. It's called a "RK Breaker Rivet Chain Tool kit"
slickest something I've seen in a while. Item# RKTOOL.. I got it at Moto-heaven .. best hundred dollars I've spent lately. Made the whole chain swap thing a breeze. I highly recommend it.. sturdy construction and easy to operate. The whole job took a tad over an hour and a half... with a jack that was not cooperating and four blown drop light bulbs.. in the shed.. at night.. well you get the picture.

Re: Tools
chy #42733 03/09/2006 10:48 AM
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
I'll add mine to the mix.

Great for working on carbs! Accepts any 1/4" hex bits, and hooks to a ratchet too. I also put my countersink bit in there and use it to manually deburr holes.

Benny Black & Silver '02 Too many mods to list Not enough miles ridden
Re: Lifts
bennybmn #42734 03/25/2006 2:25 AM
Saddle Sore
Saddle Sore
The Sears bike jack..
Sears bike jack.

Need to replace the hydraulic ram for your Sears lift?
Quote:

...if you happen to need one (they're cheap), or if you have a sears lift, keep this web address on file. http://www.mysears.com/Craftsman-Motorcycle-ATV-Jack-review-78313

(In case the link fades away here is the telephone number: 888-797-7855.

The Sears aluminum bike jack.
Sears aluminum bike jack

Pep Boys jack.
PepBoys Jack

Harbor Freight jacks.
Standard jack
Aluminum jack
Motorcycle lift

And the home-made lift.. Wooden bike lift ..... thanks to Blackwind for the link..

Last edited by moe; 01/21/2011 3:10 PM.

More flags More fun!
Spark Plug Socket
chy #42735 03/26/2006 10:25 AM
chy Offline OP
Loquacious
OP Offline
Loquacious
I know this baby fits like a glove. I have one and it's $3.99 at Sears. It's a nice thin walled sparkplug socket.

Craftsman 18mm Spark Plug Socket
Sears item #00943330000
Mfr. model #43330

direct link:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/search.do...p;gobutton=find

Last edited by FriarJohn; 04/01/2006 10:55 PM.
Re: Bit Wrenches
Deon #42736 03/26/2006 6:46 PM
Saddle Sore
Saddle Sore
This ratcheting reversable wrench set from Sears comes in handy in tight places. Add some 1/4" drive metric hex bits and it's more useful...
Bit wrench set

More flags More fun!
Re: Carbtune and Colortune
Deon #42737 03/27/2006 6:47 PM
Saddle Sore
Saddle Sore
Morgan

Carb tools.

Easy to make tools
chy #42738 04/14/2006 8:12 AM
chy Offline OP
Loquacious
OP Offline
Loquacious

One of my favorites for the front axle 19mm Allen.
Take a 1/2"X 1 1/2" or thereabouts bolt, thread a couple of nuts on, tighten them really tight, (use some red locktight if you like), and you have an axle tool to use with a 3/4" socket. 1/2" bolt works because 3/4" and 19mm are so close, there's really no difference.

One of my favorite "modified" tools is an allen wrench that I ground the curved end off. It really helps when you are re-jetting. It doesn't get tangled up in the wires & speeds the whole process up.

Tank Badge Tool
chy #42739 04/19/2006 10:34 PM
"Lighten up, Francis."
"Lighten up, Francis."
Pretty sure it's T25... OK yeah it's T25. Just checked. $3.99 at the local Ace hardware for the safety Torx driver (blue handle).

(taken from a Lounge post by Bennybmn)

Keep in mind it's an "anti-tamper" torx. The bolt has a small "pin" in the centre, so the torx key needs a matching hole in its' centre.

(added from a post by Simonr)

Last edited by FriarJohn; 04/20/2006 9:38 AM.

BA.com Caretaker | Friarsride | jb.com
Loctite References
FriarJohn #42740 05/12/2006 10:55 AM
Big Bore
Big Bore
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products/subcategory.asp?CatID=10&SubID=48
Green
Prevents vibration loosening of pre-assembled fasteners
For use on electrical connectors, instrumentation, screws, and set screws
Ideal for fasteners #2 - 1/2"

Red
OEM specified as 271
High temperature, high strength for heavy duty applications
Designed for larger fasteners 3/8" to 1" (9.5mm to 25mm)
Locks studs, bushings and large fasteners against vibration loosening
Strengthens slip and light press fits
Removable with heat and hand tools

Blue
Locks threaded fasteners against vibration loosening
Ideal for nut and bolt applications 1/4" to 3/4" (6mm to 20mm)
Prevents threads from rusting and leaking
Removable with hand tools for easy disassembly
Temperature range: -65 degrees to 300 degrees Fahrenheit (-54 degrees to 149 degrees Celsius)

RTV references
bonnyusa #42741 05/13/2006 12:37 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Another piece of info from Soren. Thanks!

http://www.permatex.com

Black
General-purpose, black RTV indoor/outdoor sealant. Seals, bonds, repairs, mends and secures glass, metal, plastics, fabric, vinyl, weather stripping and vinyl tops. Protects and repairs electrical wiring. May be applied to horizontal or vertical surfaces. Waterproof and flexible. Temperature range -75°F to 450°F (-59°C to 232°C); resists oil, water, weather, vibration, grease.

Suggested Applications: Windshields, door frames, electrical connections, seams and roofs, vinyl tops, weather stripping

Clear
General-purpose, clear RTV indoor/outdoor sealant. Seals, bonds, repairs, mends and secures glass, metal, plastics, fabric, vinyl, weather stripping and vinyl tops. Protects and repairs electrical wiring. May be applied to horizontal or vertical surfaces. Waterproof and flexible. Temperature range -75°F to 400°F (-59°C to 204°C); resists oil, water, weather, vibration, grease.

Suggested Applications: Windshields, door frames, electrical connections, vinyl tops, seams and roofs

Red
OEM specified. Formulated for hi-temp applications, or heavy-duty use (such as towing, etc.). Replaces almost any cut gasket by making reliable "formed-in-place" gaskets that resist cracking, shrinking and migrating caused by thermal cycling. Coats pre-cut gaskets to increase reliability. Temperature range -65ºF to 650ºF (-54°C to 343°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids. First generation 1970-1980 gasket maker.

Suggested Applications: Valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings, transmission pans

Sensor-Safe Blue
The original Permatex Blue. Will not foul oxygen sensors. Replaces almost any cut gasket. Makes reliable "formed-in-place" gaskets that resist cracking, shrinking and migrating. Coats pre-cut gaskets to increase reliability. Temperature range -65°F to 500°F (-54°C to 260°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids. First generation 1970-1980 gasket maker.

Suggested Applications: Valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings, transmission pans

Sensor-Safe High-Temp
Formulated for oxygen sensor equipped engines. First generation 1970-1980 gasket maker. Temperature range of -65°F to 650°F (-54°C to 343°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids.

Ultra Black
OEM specified. For dealership warranty requirements, ensures extended drivetrain warranty compliance. Fast-curing formula. Sensor safe, low odor, noncorrosive. Meets performance specs of OE silicone gaskets. Retains high flexibility, oil resistance properties through use of a patented adhesion system. Temperature range -65ºF to 500ºF (-54°C to 260°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration.

Suggested Applications: Valve covers, oil pans, intake manifold end seals, timing covers, transmission pans

Ultra Blue
OEM specified. Sensor-safe, low odor, noncorrosive. Outstanding oil resistance and joint movement values. Eight times more flexible than cork/composite gaskets; three times more oil resistant than conventional silicones. Temperature range -65ºF to 500ºF (-54°C to 260°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration.

Suggested Applications: Valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, transmission pans, differential covers

Ultra Copper
OEM specified. Highest operating temperatures for 4-cylinder, turbocharged or high-performance engines. The most advanced, high temp RTV silicone gasket available. Sensor-safe, low odor, noncorrosive. Superior adhesion. Three times more oil resistant than conventional silicones; eight times more flexible than cut gaskets. Temperature range -75°F to 700°F (-59°C to 371°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration.

Suggested Applications: Exhaust manifolds/ headers, valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings

Ultra Grey
OEM specified. Designed specially for high-torque and high vibration applications, like those common in import engines, this premium RTV gasket maker exceeds manufacturers' performance requirements. Noncorrosive and low-odor. Maximum vibration resistance, with outstanding resistance to oils, cooling and shop fluids. Guaranteed not to leak. Temperature range -65ºF to 500ºF (-54°C to 260°C) intermittent.

Suggested Applications: Valve covers, oil pans, intake manifold end seals, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings

Water Pump & Thermostat
A noncorrosive, sensor-safe RTV silicone gasket material formulated specifically for water pumps and thermostat housings. Highest water-glycol resistance available in an RTV silicone. Temperature range of -65°F to 500°F (-54°C to 260°C) intermittent.

Hi-Temp
OEM specified. A fast-curing, rubber gasket sealant, particularly well suited to enhance performance of pre-cut cork, paper and composite gaskets. This unique RTV sealant is exceptional for filling surface abnormalities or scratches resulting from scraping of old gaskets, assuring you a failure-free installation and long, trouble-free operating life. Temperature range -65°F to 500°F (-54°C to 260°C). Highly fluid-resistant, permanently flexible and non-shrinking for years of reliable sealing.

Suggested Applications: As a dressing/sealant for transmission pan gaskets, water pumps, thermostats, oil pan gaskets and more. Not recommended for use with cut rubber gaskets or applications in contact with gasoline.

John Like a dog on a car ride with my tongue in the wind
Backlash retainer tools
chy #42742 03/16/2007 9:02 AM
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
SalMaglie posted this sketch:

Quote:

Here goes, but I have to warn you, my measuring instruments aren't what I would call the highest quality so I make no claims of 100% accuracy. And as you can see, I'm not a draftsman or an engineer. If you make one based on this drawing, I'd sure like to know if it works.

All dimensions are in inches. The distance between the retaining pins(2.16") is center to center as best as I could measure.

Both mine and Jay's drawings are what actually come in the kit when you buy the Triumph tool. There's the spanner, which allows you to rotate the sprung gear, and the 2 of the L shaped tools to pin the gear under tension.

And Jay posted this for the pins:

Quote:

Here's the measurements I made of my Triumph backlash retaining pins:

Of course all you really need is the 'business' end (the stepped end).

Here's a picture of the pins in action:

Good luck, and be patient doing the backlash check/adjust.
Lots of good advice available here!

jay

Last edited by bennybmn; 03/16/2007 6:09 PM.

Benny Black & Silver '02 Too many mods to list Not enough miles ridden
Wrench Cross Reference
bennybmn #42743 03/21/2007 10:57 AM
Big Bore
Big Bore
Here's a handy wrench cross reference chart in both JPG and PDF formats.

JPG version

PDF version

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity" - Robert Heinlein
Re: Wrench Cross Reference
bonnyusa #42744 11/28/2011 5:27 PM
"Lighten up, Francis."
"Lighten up, Francis."
Steering head bearing wrench, link courtesy of Zmilin...

http://xchoppers.com/product_info.php?cPath=172_174&products_id=1924

BA.com Caretaker | Friarsride | jb.com

Moderated by  bennybmn, chy, Dinqua, freedom, mert, moe 

Link Copied to Clipboard