[This grew far longer than I'd hoped for, but I tend to over-think things in an attempt to cover all bases. What can I say, I'm a Business Analyst (among other things)--FJ]

Exclusive Avatars and Custom Titles

Disclaimer(s): If you've contributed an at any time since the site's creation, you knew (at least I hope you knew) that it was going into the pool of avatars, that anyone could use it, and you basically gave up control over it. That said, the point here is to avoid stepping on any toes. This should be a fun little perk to personalize your presence on the forum and support it at the same time. This is not a limited time offer. No need to rush. You will still be able to contribute new avatars to the pool for everyone to use via the same avatar thread in the Help forum. This is completely optional. Membership will remain free. This of this as an ongoing, online telethon of sorts to beef up the operations fund.

A Little Background

Out of our more than 5700 members, only around 1100 are using avatars at all. Out of those about 930 are using avatars that will remain in the pool. Of the remaining, around 120 are using avatars that we would deem "in conflict"--avatars that were contributed by members primarily for their own use, but are also being used by at least one other member [This is the part that keeps me up at night... okay, not really, but still--FJ]. The 20 or so listed below are using avatars they contributed that aren't being used by anyone else. Don't try and do the math, these numbers are just estimated based on a query from the database.

The Lucky 7

"They're really more what you'd call guidelines." -Captain Barbossa

Rule #1: The vast majority of the avatars are going to remain in the pool (flags, gas tanks, Soren's MegaCoolStuff and BikerCrosses, etc.). In fact, "remain in the pool" is the default solution to any issues or conflicts. If at all possible, best policy is to just find a new avatar.

Rule #2: If you contributed an avatar and no one else is using it you get dibs on making it "exclusive." Otherwise it will remain in the pool.

Rule #3: We do not want to remove anyone's avatar if at all possible. To that end, if multiple people are using an avatar, regardless of source, it will remain in the pool. If you contributed an avatar and would like to make it exclusive, but you're not listed below, contact FriarJohn for options.

Rule #4: If you haven't logged in for over a year, your avatar choice is forfeit. But we won't remove it unless someone specifically asks for it. If you're not a regular poster, have an account but don't usually log in, please do so, so we can tell you're still active.

Rule #5: The price for an exclusive avatar is $5, per avatar change. The price for a custom title is $5, per change (except for typos). True, this is a bit of a gimmick to build up the operations fund, but also we don't want to make this a full time job. Many of you have already contributed this year so if you come up with an avatar and/or title (most donors have already donated over $10), contact FriarJohn.

Rule #6: Both the custom titles and new avatars submitted must abide by the AUP.

Rule #7: If we have a problem, as with all other problems on the site, the moderator team will make the call.

The List

Below is the list of members with avatars that they contributed, are currently using and no one else is using. These members can make these exclusive by making the contribution to the site's operations fund or leave them in the pool for general use. If you're listed here and you've already made a donation to the site this year, contact FriarJohn to make your avatar exclusive. If any of these are incorrect, contact FriarJohn (ignore the code tag--I just wanted to line up the columns):

Code:

Member Filename
angelis745 fred.jpg
billpvegas vegas.jpg
Brummie brummie.gif
bsa_bob BSAHelmet.jpg
burtard cakes.jpg
CoolHandLuke CoolHandLuke.gif
DunnSpeed dunnspeed_avatar.jpg
Dwight Dwight1.jpg
Grzegorz crest.jpg (claimed)
Jimmy jim.jpg
KaiserSoze sublime.gif
kidhaf burningman.jpg
mag10 tattoo.jpg
MsChevious1 catbike.jpg
perceval phoenix.jpg
roadworthy workingclass.jpg
Shutterbug parrot.jpg
skid dragruen.jpg
snows Chuck.jpg
stevieB stevieb_avatar.png
T_TWIN (phil_k) ratlogo.jpg

Everything else remains in the pool until resolved amongst multiple users. If you contributed an avatar and are not listed, it's because other people are using it. Rather than post that list, contact FriarJohn. In some cases it's only one other person. In other cases there are several people using it and freeing it up might be more involved.

Process

Send FriarJohn a PM or an email at bonnevilleamerica.com(at)gmail.com with the avatar you would like to use and/or the custom title. We're not going to set a limit on the length of the title, but the first criteria is that it shouldn't be longer than your signature. That's probably still too long so just try and keep it short and sweet. Be sure to include your screenname if you're sending your request via email and your method of payment, regardless of which way you send your request. You may use the Paypal link on the donations page to use a credit card or use the mailing address on the same page for checks and money orders.

http://www.bonnevilleamerica.com/support-this-site/donations/

When you checkout on Paypal, be sure to enter your BonnevilleAmerica.com screen name by clicking the appropriate link labeled as such.

Last edited by FriarJohn; 02/13/2011 6:20 PM.

BA.com Caretaker | Friarsride | jb.com