Page 1 of 2 1 2
Arnold Schwarzenegger - Motorcyclist of the Year
#415150 12/10/2010 9:55 AM
Soren Offline OP
Should be Riding
OP Offline
Should be Riding
Arnold Schwarzenegger is AMA Motorcyclist of the Year

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2010/12/arnold-schwarzenegger-is-ama-motorcyclist-of-the-year/

Quote:

You may recall that Time Magazine selects a “Person of the Year”, and this person (formerly “Man” of the Year) is sometimes considered a saint, and sometimes a villan. Times Man of the Year for 1938? Adolf Hitlter.

Quote:

The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) announced today its AMA Motorcyclist of the Year. Awarded annually, the AMA Motorcyclist of the Year designation recognizes the person(s) who has had the most profound impact on the world of motorcycling, for better or worse, in the previous 12 months.
For 2010, that distinction belongs to outgoing California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, whose signature on a controversial law will have far-reaching and potentially harmful effects on the motorcycling community nationwide.

With no fanfare, Schwarzenegger signed a poorly crafted bill on Sept. 28 that fundamentally changes how California will regulate motorcycle exhaust systems. The new law also maps a path for the rest of the country, as other state and local lawmakers look for their own answers to address excessive motorcycle sound. The full story is in the January 2011 issue of American Motorcyclist magazine, the journal of the AMA.

Re: Arnold Schwarzenegger - Motorcyclist of the Year
Soren #415151 12/10/2010 10:56 AM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
I completely agree with the AMA's take on this, BUT I HOPE people will realize that MUCH of the responsibility for Arnold(a guy who rode motorcycles for years in CA before bothering to take the time to get his CLASS-M License and EVEN during his time as Governor...but I digress) signing this measure BELONGS on the shoulders of ALL THOSE motorcyclists who persist in riding with EXCESSIVELY LOUD AFTERMARKET EXHAUST SYSTEMS on their machines, and thus BRINGING ATTENTION ONTO THEMSELVES(but NOT necessarily "saving their lives"!!!...YEAH, I'LL SAY THAT AGAIN, 'cause I'VE RIDDEN MOTORCYCLES FOR 43 FRIGGIN' YEARS, and I'M STILL AROUND AND KICKIN' WITHOUT RIDING WITH THOSE!!!!!!!...AAH, but I DIGRESS AGAIN HERE, HUH???!!!) and by association onto ALL motorcyclists, and thus P*SSING OFF MANY of the NINETY PERCENT of people who have NEVER RIDDEN a motorcycle in their lives...and thus THIS KIND of legislation which others piggyback with "Environmental" legislation, receives VAST FRIGGIN' POLITICAL SUPPORT from many of the said NINETY PERCENT who have never ridden a motorcycle!!!

AND, for those of you out there who MIGHT BE thinking something along the lines of, "Well, that's California for ya! THIS could NEVER happen out here in "Real America!"...WEEELLLL, I've got NEWS for YOU!!! DON'T FORGET that MUCH of the so-called "Environmental/Quality of Life Legislation passed THROUGHOUT this country of ours may START it's "groundswell" out in the California(like banning smoking inside establishments) BUT these USUALLY will EVENTUALLY end up being the "Law of the Land" EVEN IN "The Heartland", and usually "THANKS" TO those who, through their continual irresponsible actions regarding their practices of almost ANYTHING under the sun and their "apparent"(and appearances MATTER...EVEN in "The Heartland") disregard for the wishes and concerns of the previously mentioned "NINETY PERCENT" or at least the majority of VOTERS out there!!!!

(...and soooooo, do many of YOU here NOW understand WHY CRAP like THIS happens??????????????????)

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
Dwight #415152 12/10/2010 11:08 AM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Oh, and btw...I'm thinkin' here that Soren's thread here pretty much belongs in the "Legislation" forum down below.

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
Dwight #415153 12/10/2010 11:33 AM
tcv Offline
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
I have to agree with Dwight on this. I have a neighbor that has a Harley with just straight pipes. All the other neighbors hate it when he fires his bike up. They tell me how annoying it is. I guess they figure since I ride I will tell the loud Harley neighbor to be quite. I also have after market pipes, but they are no where near as loud (plus I don't sit there and rev the engine to test how loud they are all the time either). As motorcyclist we are a minority and if we do something that is going to ****** off the majority don't be surprised when poorly written legislation like the one in California is passed.

I am sure Florida will try and pass something similar, now that California has broken the barrier.

Tom

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin, US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer (1706 - 1790)
tcv #415154 12/10/2010 11:47 AM
"Lighten up, Francis."
"Lighten up, Francis."
I love Montana. Last bastion of freedom.

BA.com Caretaker | Friarsride | jb.com
FriarJohn #415155 12/10/2010 11:57 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
i agree with dwight also. i live in california about 80m north of san francisco in the rural part of sonoma co. the harley presence he is extreme and most of those have modified exhaust. i can't tell how wonderful it is to be sitting on the front porch enjoying the sounds of a small farm and have a pack of harleys ride by. i'm 1/4 mile off the road behind a grove of redwoods and they are still too loud. the funny part is there is a 20mph turn and a 35mph bend in the road. you can hear them rev it up on the straight then slow way down for the turns. i can easily take these tours at a constant 50mph on the speedy.

for the loud pipes save lives crowd...you got what you deserved.

btw my speedy has tor's..a little noise but i don't set off any car alarms.

joe---rant over

If it isn't broke, I haven't messed with it.
FriarJohn #415156 12/10/2010 11:59 AM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

I love Montana. Last bastion of freedom.

Yeah...just give it a little time, John. Like I said above, I'll BETCHA that eventually those folks makin' laws in Helena(who don't ride) will be tempted to look into this.

(...though YOUR "saving grace" up there might be that Montana has the 3rd lowest population density in these United States, and so those riders up there who will persist in running straight pipes will have FAR LESS non-riding people to P*SS OFF up there while riding around and wanting to be noticed for how "cool" and "independent" they are!!!)

Dwight #415157 12/10/2010 12:27 PM
"Lighten up, Francis."
"Lighten up, Francis."
Yeah, ain't it great?

FriarJohn #415158 12/10/2010 2:10 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

Yeah, ain't it great?

Uh huh...and ain't it ALSO kind'a COLD up there right now TOO???

I'll be back(as Arnold might say) later for my answer to that, but right now I'm gonna take a little spin on my BA.

(..and sooooo, tah-tah for now, John!!!)

Dwight #415159 12/10/2010 3:01 PM
"Lighten up, Francis."
"Lighten up, Francis."
Yeah, but now I have a cage with heated seats, so...

FriarJohn #415160 12/10/2010 3:37 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

"I'm baak"!(also, as Arnold might say)

Ooooh...so NOW you "have a cage with heated seats", you ya huh?! Well, I suppose that's cool...err...WARM alright, eh?!

And so, tell me then John: You ya think it's as "fun" DRIVIN' around in your cage(and of course, on those toasty "heated seats" o' yours) up there in "good ol' freedom-loving" Montana right now, as it was RIDIN' around down here in Arizona today???

(...I hope you now realize that you picked the wrong time o' year to boast about all your "freedoms" up there, right?!)

Dwight #415161 12/10/2010 4:44 PM
I live in the sun downunder
Quote:

Quote:

Ooooh...so NOW you "have a cage with heated seats", you ya huh?! Well, I suppose that's cool...err...WARM alright, eh?!

And so, tell me then John: You ya think it's as "fun" DRIVIN' around in your cage(and of course, on those toasty "heated seats" o' yours) up there in "good ol' freedom-loving" Montana right now, as it was RIDIN' around down here in Arizona today???

(...I hope you now realize that you picked the wrong time o' year to boast about all your "freedoms" up there, right?!)

Dwight, I do remember that you play a little tennis.

If you were playing now it would be game set and match to you.

BTW I do agree with all you said, they even export them loud pipes to OZ.

FrankW Ex Speedmaster rider, went to the Dark Side now riding an America.
Dwight #415162 12/10/2010 4:44 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
First of all, congratulations to The Governator!

Second, loud pipes suck.

Kevin - Luceo Non Uro
Speedmaster05 #415163 12/10/2010 5:10 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

First of all, congratulations to The Governator!

Second, loud pipes suck.

Yep, but ya SEE Kevin, the problem here is that this will affect EVERYBODY! Okay, well yes, only in CA, and in 2013 and beyond, at THIS juncture anyway, but please re-read my above "future prognostications" regarding the possible spread of this type of legislation.

And when I said "everybody", I mean EVEN, and ESPECIALLY, the vast majority of the conscientious and responsible motorcyclists who might wish to change their exhaust system to become SLIGHTLY louder and/or to possibly increase the performance of their rides. But, THIS kind of legislation will ultimately tie the hands of even THESE kinds of riders. AND, that probably means folks like YOU and ME!!!

(...and so, excuse me here, but THIS is why I'm not going to join you in this "toast" of yours to Arnold...sorry)

FrankW #415164 12/10/2010 5:19 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dwight, I do remember that you play a little tennis.

If you were playing now it would be game set and match to you.

Yep, and speakin' o' which Frank, I'm about to head out the door right now to those tennis courts and for my Friday afternoon matches! Gotta run!

(...oh, and thanks for agreein' with me, bro!)

Soren #415165 12/10/2010 5:43 PM
moe Offline
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
Arnold Schwarzenegger is right up there with Charlie Crist. Did y'all here? The DEAD Door got a pardon from prime time charlie yesterday. What nonsense. And now, back to Big Skys and frozen tundra.

Blowing gravel off rural roads
moe #415166 12/10/2010 5:49 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
I heard that on the radio today.

My 1st thought- How can you pardon someone that wasn't convicted?

My 2nd thought- Isn't there some sort of limitation on how long after an alleged flashing offence someone can be prosecuted for it? There is for rape

Too old to die young, too ugly to leave a good looking corpse
Soren #415167 12/10/2010 11:11 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I love the sound of a Harly with open exaust just as much as I love the sound of any bike baffled or not. Even a crotch rocket with a loud can. When a bike fires up and takes off its the sound that reminds me of the freedom of riding fast and loud on the open road. The taking of our fredoms, even one small one at a time, is a shame and should never be applauded. Thats my opinion

Dwight #415168 12/10/2010 11:18 PM
"Lighten up, Francis."
"Lighten up, Francis."
Quote:

Please. California is a sh!thole and it's only getting worse. I'll take 9 months of snow and 3 months of riding (it's never that bad--at its worst it's 50/50) and loud pipes and the freedom to not wear a helmet even though I do and not have to do any emissions testing to anything I own and clean air and much lower crime over Kalifornia any day. No contest.

FriarJohn #415169 12/10/2010 11:38 PM
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
I agree with Dwight lets put the blame where it belongs. Hard to imagine that the whole freaking world doesn't want to hear your pipes

woodley74 #415170 12/11/2010 12:22 AM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
Quote:

I love the sound of a Harly with open exaust just as much as I love the sound of any bike baffled or not. Even a crotch rocket with a loud can. When a bike fires up and takes off its the sound that reminds me of the freedom of riding fast and loud on the open road. The taking of our fredoms, even one small one at a time, is a shame and should never be applauded. Thats my opinion

How are you "free" to wake me up in the morning with your pipes? Should I not be free of your noise when I try to sleep? Or is your freedom more important than mine?

Dwight is correct. The gotta be annoying crowd brought it on themselves.

I try to aggravate one person a day. Today may be your day.
ToddfromWi #415171 12/11/2010 1:32 AM
Went on our annual toy run this morning that is in aid of the Salvation Army.

I went with a mate of mine who was on his 2004 Sportster which he has just bought as a second bike. (Other bike is a Road King) It is still fitted with the standard mufflers.

One of the other Harley riders on the run asked him when he was going to get Screaming Eagle pipes fitted so that it would sound like a real Harley.

Is it the mentality that if you have loud pipes it must be a good bike.

I have Staintuned pipes fitted without the restricters and they definitely aren't loud. I ride without ear plugs and have no problems.

FriarJohn #415172 12/11/2010 1:49 AM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

Quote:

Please. California is a sh!thole and it's only getting worse. I'll take 9 months of snow and 3 months of riding (it's never that bad--at its worst it's 50/50) and loud pipes and the freedom to not wear a helmet even though I do and not have to do any emissions testing to anything I own and clean air and much lower crime over Kalifornia any day. No contest.

Well John, presently being, like yourself, an ex-Californian, I'm not "exactly sure" if one could really say that Yosemite, Big Sur, Lake Tahoe, Malibu, Laguna Beach, the High Sierras, Mount and Lake Shasta...ummmmm...let's see here, maybe the most beautiful city in all America that goes by the name of San Francisco, and, Monterey Bay/Carmel...ummmmmm...Mendocino, Napa Valley, etc, etc, etc...are (what was that word you used again?...oh yeah) "sh*tholes"!!!

Look John, I think it's juuuuust fine that you seem to enjoy freezin' your "little" tookus off a third of the year up there in sparsely populated Montana, and that you feel that it's all "worth it". But dude, I don't think I'd cast aspersions around like that at another state which still can offer a WHOLE lot of variety AND beautiful places unlike anywhere else on this planet!

(...that IS of course IF casting aspersions is helping you KEEP WARM UP THERE THIS WINTER!!!...yep, I suppose a man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do....to keep warm, THAT IS!!!)

Dwight #415173 12/11/2010 1:58 AM
"Lighten up, Francis."
"Lighten up, Francis."
Even a turd has pieces of corn in it.

FriarJohn #415174 12/11/2010 2:06 AM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

Even a turd has pieces of corn in it.

Uh huh, I suppose so. But, wouldn't you agree that gettin' those kernels of corn out of that turd would be MUCH harder if it were FROZEN???

(...like YOU are right NOW up there!!!)

Dwight #415175 12/11/2010 2:11 AM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Okay, okay, John. I'm sorry I'm rubbin' it in about your "Tundra" up there!(thanks for the word, moe!)

(...but I seem to get SOOOO "invigorated" after taking a nice little ride on my Triumph AND playin' a couple of sets of tennis in SIXTY DEGREE WEATHER!!!!)

Dwight #415176 12/11/2010 3:10 AM
Stickman Yogi
Stickman Yogi
There was a front end loader working outside my house today... it was loading snow on trucks to be hauled away to the river. It was a new loader, and ever so quiet. I appreciated the muffled sound as I went about my business. This is a bit like saying, "no man is an island."

Live to love, love to live.
Keith #415177 12/11/2010 4:06 AM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

... This is a bit like saying, "no man is an island."

Well, that is UNLESS your name is Johnny Depp!!!

(...he owns a whole island out there near the Bahamas somewhere, ya know...though I suppose in the strictest sense that STILL doesn't make him "an island", huh?!...never mind then)

Dwight #415178 12/11/2010 4:06 AM
"Lighten up, Francis."
"Lighten up, Francis."
Blah blah blah...

FriarJohn #415179 12/11/2010 4:09 AM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

Blah blah blah...

Nope, John! Scotch Scotch Scotch!!!!

(...the single-malt variety, I might add!!!)

Dwight #415180 12/11/2010 4:17 AM
Stickman Yogi
Stickman Yogi
Quote:

Quote:

Blah blah blah...

Nope, John! Scotch Scotch Scotch!!!!

(...the single-malt variety, I might add!!!)

Uhuh... and what's all this I hear(d) about you quitting for the while... or was that just the 'Scotch' talking!?

Dwight #415181 12/11/2010 5:22 AM
Quote:

Okay, okay, John. I'm sorry I'm rubbin' it in about your "Tundra" up there!(thanks for the word, moe!)

(...but I seem to get SOOOO "invigorated" after taking a nice little ride on my Triumph AND playin' a couple of sets of tennis in SIXTY DEGREE WEATHER!!!!)

Grief Dwight you played tennis in that cold weather.

Had to go on our annual toy run today and the temperature was 30 degrees.

Celcius that is.

Soren #415182 12/11/2010 1:11 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
this buisness of loud or not loud pipes is, to me, just another example of what has gone wrong in the world these days. who are you to tell me i have to wear seatbelts or a helmet or that i have to have a certian loudness to my bike or i cant smoke in a bar or i cant send my kid to school with a peanutbutter sandwich. GET OUT OF MY BUISNESS!!! i think most of you read the previous post in which mr dwight and i went around this tree so i dont feel the need to remind you how i feel about my neighbors mowing their lawns all day. whatever it is that is bothering you analretentives i wish you would all get over it. i dont understand why it is that some feel the need to walk on others, what is it hurting you if i have pipes that are louder than yours. just because you like to ride a sewing machine dont mean that i do. when we were young we had glass pack mufflers on our cars and it was cool, now that you are an old fuddyduddy you feel the need to control everything that is around you. well you cant and you shouldnt try. i will pay the ticket again and again if that is what it takes to make my statement that i am a free man and should have the right to run my buisness the way i see fit as long as i am not hurting anybody. dont tell me that my loud pipes are in some way physicaly hurting you. if it bothers your ears than cover them for that brief moment it takes for me to pass you in your little i want everything my way world. if it bothers you that there is smoking in this establishment than dont come in. MAN!!!! i am just so fed up with everybody want to be up everybody elses butts with their "my way is the right way for all" attitude. like i said, my pipes are loud for a reason I LIKE EM THAT WAY!!!! you dont well than you have your bike and you can make it sound any way you want. half the reason for half the monitary problems today is because of people trying to tell others how it has to be. think about it, if the govt. agencies would stay out of the car buisness than there may still be a car buisness in the USA, how many buisnesses have gone overseas because they were run out by treehuggers and people sticking their noses in places they dont belong. LEAVE ME AND MY PIPES ALONE!!!!! at least untill you stop my neighbors from mowing their lawns!!!!!

ENJOY!!!!! NEWT!!!!!
newt #415183 12/11/2010 1:24 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
and another thing, i have been there traveled from the bottom to the top and i know that the scenery up north is nice and pretty, good wine, good roads but overall california and its govenator sucks!!!!!!and so do most of the treehuggin idiots that come from there. to make him the motorcyclist of the yr because he did something stupid is almost enough to get me to cancel my ama membership. i guess there will be some aftermarket pipemakers that will now go out of buisness, like we need that now OH YA RIGHT!!! WHEN I WAS YOUNG I LIVED IN A COUNTRY WHERE YOU COULD BE YOU AND I COULD BE ME AND WE ALL GOT ALONG PRETTY WELL NOW I HAVE TO CONFORM TO WHAT YOU FEEL IS RIGHT AND IT SEEMS WE ALL CANT GET ALONG, WHAT HAPPENED????

Last edited by newt; 12/11/2010 1:27 PM.

ENJOY!!!!! NEWT!!!!!
newt #415184 12/11/2010 1:57 PM
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
Ah yes, lets all go out of our way to make your loud pipes tolerable
Living in milwaukee-the doucheness is almost intolerable

newt #415185 12/11/2010 2:07 PM
Stickman Yogi
Stickman Yogi
Quote:

just now that you are an old fuddyduddy...

Hold on here mister... just who are you calling 'an old fuddyduddy'?

newt #415186 12/11/2010 2:08 PM
Bar Shake
Bar Shake

Contra todo mal, mezcal; contra todo bien, también
newt #415187 12/11/2010 2:43 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

...if it bothers your ears than cover them for that brief moment it takes for me to pass you in your little i want everything my way world.

Uh huh, newt...and I suppose you don't see the irony, or maybe that should be the contradiction, in your own words here, eh?!

Nope, I suppose you don't, do ya? And apparently never will.

(there ya go folks...in "NEWT'S WORLD" it's up to YOU to cover YOUR ears whenever your YOUR auditory senses are being, yes newt, the word is, ASSAULTED!!!)

Dwight #415188 12/11/2010 2:48 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
were you physicly harmed when i rode by you?? i bet you dont want me smoking in my bar either do ya???

ENJOY!!!!! NEWT!!!!!
newt #415189 12/11/2010 3:08 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

...to make him the motorcyclist of the yr because he did something stupid is almost enough to get me to cancel my ama membership.

And once again it appears the "irony" of the AMA's pick eludes you, newt. Remember, what that article said about their pick being similar to how Time Magazine picked that crazy a$$ German Chancellor in 1938 as their "Man of the Year" NOT because of any positive attributes, BUT because of the sheer IMPACT that crazy a$$ had on the world??? REMEMBER???!!!

Quote:

...i guess there will be some aftermarket pipemakers that will now go out of buisness, like we need that now OH YA RIGHT!!!

YEAH, dude! THAT was the POINT!!! And, I STILL say that you and whoever out there can cry all you want about this kind'a crap, BUT it's people LIKE YOU runnin' your excessively loud pipes that help BRING this kind'a crap upon ALL of us motorcyclists out there, and THAT'S 'cause WE are just a SMALL MINORITY of the VOTING PUBLIC!!! GET IT???!!!

Quote:

...WHEN I WAS YOUNG I LIVED IN A COUNTRY WHERE YOU COULD BE YOU AND I COULD BE ME AND WE ALL GOT ALONG PRETTY WELL NOW I HAVE TO CONFORM TO WHAT YOU FEEL IS RIGHT AND IT SEEMS WE ALL CANT GET ALONG, WHAT HAPPENED????

Yeah, and WOULDN'T it be GREAT if everybody could live in that idealized little rural "utopia" of long ago, where everybody had room to do whatever the h*ll they wanted to in life?! BUT, I have news for here newt, the VAST majority of Americans NOW live in urban and suburban environments today, and thus live MUCH closer in proximity to each other, which NECESSITATES more of a common sense of social courtesy IF there is to be less friction between people in THAT kind of environment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bennybmn, chy, freedom 

Link Copied to Clipboard