Next Thread
Print Thread
Pa cycle driving exam course.
#356973 10/07/2009 12:00 PM
smaug Offline OP
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
Seeing as how no one else seemed to really know what the test consisted of I will give my experience [fresh].I took my test today knowing that it required fig 8 maneuver and a pre ride checklist.This is what they had me do.
After he checked all my paperwork [permit,class c license,registration,insurance] we went to the parking lot where he ran me through the checklist,brakes,turn signals,hi beam lo beam,kill switch,horn,throttle,both brakes,fuel valve,choke.Then I proceeded to do a both brakes stop in front of him.Next was the slalom with 3 cones come back to him go up one gear come down one gear then both brakes stop in front of him again.Then it was the 30by50 ft box to do 3 non stop fig eight maneuvers [I only practiced doing one at a time]I passed all of the steps.He also informed me that if I would not have had eye protection under my visor that I would have failed immediately.There was no written knowledge test with this course.I hope this thread can help any new riders,I couldn't find this info anywhere,everyone just told me to "take the motorcycle safety course,its easier"maybe so but it is 15 hrs worth of instruction that can be just as easily accomplished by your self with common sense while you practice on your permit.I do understand some states don't allow permit riders out by themselves,in that case the course is the only way to go.

Re: Pa cycle driving exam course.
smaug #356974 10/09/2009 10:21 PM
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
I had a great time at the MSF course. Sure, it was long and some parts were tedious, but it was certainly worth it. So is the insurance discount. So was the discount local bike shops offered on helmet/gear purchases when displaying the completion certificate. So was the 1:1.4 teacher/student ratio while learning on their bikes (which one in the class dropped).

Another LOTR fan Smaug?

09 BA Blue/Blue Staintune
rvndll #356975 10/09/2009 10:36 PM
smaug Offline OP
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
Yeah,I understand there is a bit of a discount for insurance,instead of 160 bucks a year I got a quote for 145.Thats about a dollar an hour for my time.Ive never heard of an equipment discount in my area.Your not alone in enjoying the course I suppose,its just not for me,thanks for sharing though.btw,,,,what is lotr?,,,,,,,,nevermind,I just put the letters together,,yup.

Last edited by smaug; 10/09/2009 10:43 PM.
smaug #356976 10/10/2009 12:06 AM
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
wow, $145/yr. forget it. i am getting fleeced. as for the MSF, before 2mo ago when i took it, i had never set foot on a bike. for me, with no bike to take to the exam etc, it was the logical choice all the way around (especially logistically). it was pretty much the deciding grounds for whether to ride or not. couple of days on that 250 put me 3wks away from my BA.

rvndll #356977 10/10/2009 2:50 PM
smaug Offline OP
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
Yup,insurance cost isnt too much for me.Many folks take the course up here for the same reasons you did.It would be kinda fun to play around on a dual sport again.Congrats on your liscense and 09 america.Have you done anything to it as for uprgrades yet?

smaug #356978 10/10/2009 9:13 PM
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
Not yet. Contemplating a bunch of stuff, but I guess prudence would demand that I ride longer to figure out more about what I would want to change.

Moderated by  bennybmn, chy, freedom 

Link Copied to Clipboard