Print Thread
Anti-lock brakes on motorsickles
#342269 07/07/2009 2:55 PM
moe Offline OP
Should be Riding
OP Offline
Should be Riding
web page

"...The NHTSA plans to decide by next year whether to require anti-lock brakes on motorcycles..."

Blowing gravel off rural roads
Re: Anti-lock brakes on motorsickles
moe #342270 07/07/2009 3:10 PM
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
Why don't they address the real problem? You can have ABS, all weather grip tires, super traction control, self parking, rear camera, auto seatbelt, airbags, any number of super safety features, but when you put an inattentive, cell phone using, book reading, cheeseburger eating, make-up applying, shaving, movie watching dumbass piece of sh!t behind the wheel, none of the safety features work because the driver was doing something else. What the F are antilock brakes going to do when you get T-boned in an intersection? They say deaths and injuries are up over the past 10 years, but what's the ratio of squid to responsible rider? How many fatal accidents could have been prevented with a little common sense? What's the ratio of sport bike fatality to other bikes?

Always remember to be yourself. Unless you suck. Then pretend to be someone else.
roadworthy #342271 07/07/2009 5:19 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand

Tony G '03 America
TonyG #342272 07/07/2009 5:40 PM
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
Yeah, I had just gotten off my bike and had seen too many jackasses on the road in a short time when I typed all that up.

Always remember to be yourself. Unless you suck. Then pretend to be someone else.
roadworthy #342273 07/07/2009 6:26 PM
Worn Saddle
Worn Saddle
Quote:

How many fatal accidents could have been prevented with a little common sense?

Every one.

Sadly, the alcohol content in our age group's fatalities has gone up significantly as the experience level has gone down.

All in all, though, ABS is a significant improvement in braking and every experience I've had with it has been positive despite the nay-sayers. I'd love to try it on a bike, my bet is it's a major improvement unless you're dual sporting on gravel or dirt and then a simple bypass switch would suffice.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)
oldroadie #342274 07/07/2009 8:25 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Would love to try out ABS brakes, every time I have ever locked up front, back, both, has not been a good experience. Anybody here have them and used 'em?

Warren 04 Caspian Blue and Silver America
AngusPT #342275 07/07/2009 10:19 PM
Stickman Yogi
Stickman Yogi
Well I did demo a used BMW R1200CL which had ABS and power brakes. It was interesting with the power brakes because you had to merely 'touch' them to get action. I braked hard on purpose several times to see what the ABS felt like and it felt very secure. I was able to stop real fast without any ill effects. I think it is something I would like on a bike now that I've tried it.

Live to love, love to live.
oldroadie #342276 07/08/2009 7:33 AM
moe Offline OP
Should be Riding
OP Offline
Should be Riding
no experience with abs. Down the road they may well be standard equipment. like in a decade or so as ‘lecric cage windows were once. Anytime the gov'ment touches something things get fubar really quick. antilock brakes not withstanding! our pursuit of happiness is our choice. Get back to your core reason to be, i.e., stick to paving roads, providing for the national defense etc . Whatever happened to the Hurt Report? Can we please have another similar study based on today’s machines? Or is a study on whether or not the red throated cockroach is more nutritious for the free breakfast at public schools a better use of taxpayer’s dollars?

abs technology is a super sport dream though. ask Ben Spies.

Blowing gravel off rural roads
moe #342277 07/08/2009 11:06 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Why do we insist on spending money for gov,required improvments, when practice and training should be inlisted instead. How much does antilock brakes cost? Shouldn't I have the option not to have them? I don't want a bike with an automatic but wiper, but if someone else thinks I need it they ask congress to make sure I have to have one. At what cost are you guy's willing to have a law passed. If you want to make it safer to ride then how about we spend our hard earned money on more required training?
I've worn seat belts since I was sixteen and I believe in them, but I don't think we need a law that say's we have to wear them. I fail to see what our obssesion with having to tell each other how to live our lives by passing laws to make sure everyone does what I believe to be safe.

Chip Sciarra "07" America, N.C.Switch Blade windshield, Moto Lights, Tri. Off Road pipes
Chip #342278 07/08/2009 11:57 AM
Check Pants
Check Pants
It's pretty apparent that you can't legislate common sense, but they sure love to do it anyway.
Quote:

Why do we insist on spending money for gov,required improvments, when practice and training should be inlisted instead. How much does antilock brakes cost? Shouldn't I have the option not to have them? I don't want a bike with an automatic but wiper, but if someone else thinks I need it they ask congress to make sure I have to have one. At what cost are you guy's willing to have a law passed. If you want to make it safer to ride then how about we spend our hard earned money on more required training?
I've worn seat belts since I was sixteen and I believe in them, but I don't think we need a law that say's we have to wear them. I fail to see what our obssesion with having to tell each other how to live our lives by passing laws to make sure everyone does what I believe to be safe.

Al
ssjones #342279 07/10/2009 8:39 AM
tcv Offline
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
My Tiger has ABS brakes, which I wanted on the bike. Before getting the bike I talked with a friend that had a BMW with ABS. He said get it, because if you only had a need for it once in the life of the bike it will more than pay for itself.

There are two types of ABS on bikes. Interlocked and non-interlocked. Triumph uses non-interlocked. Not sure I would like interlocked ABS brakes. I prefer doing most of my braking with the front brakes.

As far as politicians legislating common sense. I think it has more to do with making the voters think they are doing something, so they can get re-elected. It would be very refreshing to have a politician more concerned with the long term good, instead of his short term re-election hopes.

Tom

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin, US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer (1706 - 1790)
moe #342280 07/10/2009 12:33 PM
Old Hand
Old Hand
My first 4 or 5 bikes had anti-lock brakes. Anti-stop too.

Let's hope there's intelligent life somewhere in space 'cause it's buggar all down here. -- Monte Python
roadworthy #342281 07/10/2009 5:43 PM
3/4 Throttle
3/4 Throttle
+10

Redbike7 2006 America No amount of skill can overcome gross stupidity. Ask me how I know...never mind, I forgot...
moe #342282 07/11/2009 7:19 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
At first glance, it would seem NHTSA is throwing around ideas to look busy for the boss, and perhaps pump a proposed budget review.

If the famous motorcycle crash study we read about in recent months is still in the wings, radical and very costly agendas as this would seem premature.

While working in the public safety sensitive trucking industry, I witnessed an endless stream of proposed mandates come & go. It usually took many go-rounds to implement them. The environmental issues got passed fairly quickly, whereas the safety issues took longer.

I recall the fatality inducing FMVSS 121 anti lock brake disaster years ago, which was forced down the trucking industry's throats without proper input from the industry. The anti lock systems, as built to the gubmint's spec, ran out of compressed air, causing the truck to either lose all braking or lock all the brakes. What was intended to create safety instead took more than a few to early graves. Many millions were spent to equip trucks with these systems that did not work right. The mandate was later reversed, and we were allowed to de-activate the systems.

Bucky #342283 07/12/2009 12:34 PM
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
I wish I could DE-activate the anti-lock in my CAR sometimes. I live at the top of a hill (a small hill, this is long island afterall) but there's a semi-blind intersection at the bottom. If there is ice or sand along the shoulder, the anti lock sometimes kicks in causing me to slide FARTHER than I would if I could just let the drivers side tires grip the dry pavement. We're talkin sub-10MPH speeds here. REAL annoying...

Benny Black & Silver '02 Too many mods to list Not enough miles ridden
ssjones #342284 07/12/2009 12:35 PM
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
Quote:

It's pretty apparent that you can't legislate common sense, but they sure love to do it anyway.
Quote:

Ditto on both counts!! I'd rather see much stricter training and re-testing implimented than gadgetry. I just think people will be more likely to fight something if they feel their "rights" are being restricted, since driving is so common in the US, people think it's a right, rather than a privaledge.

bennybmn #342285 07/14/2009 10:24 AM
Old Hand
Old Hand
It really bothers me that by direct and indirect (emissions and fuel consumption rules can only be met on many cars by the use of autoshifters) legislation, the gvt is paving the way for less and less competent drivers to be on the road. They should be weeding out the idiots who aim rather than drive, then spend all this effort and cash on providing a viable public transit system. Of all places, here in Clovis we have a potentially good system. The CATS (Clovis Area Transit System) has some regularly scheduled routes, and you can call and arrange for transportation anyplace in town. When advance arrangements are made, they set up a temp route to make this as efficient as possible.

Let's hope there's intelligent life somewhere in space 'cause it's buggar all down here. -- Monte Python
Greybeard #342286 07/22/2009 8:35 PM
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
And by making it so easy to drive by requiring less skill, people get into it so easily and have this sense of entitlement which leads to a lot of problems...

bennybmn #342287 07/27/2009 1:39 PM
Remember every law passed, is another freedom lost

tcv #342288 07/27/2009 8:32 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Do you need special tools to bleed or replace the brake fluid on a bike equiped with ABS?

leonard #342289 07/27/2009 9:56 PM
Check Pants
Check Pants
Quote:

Do you need special tools to bleed or replace the brake fluid on a bike equiped with ABS?

I've never worked on a bike equipped with ABS, but I say probably not. On a car, no special tools are necessary but you do have to make sure the ABS had not been activated for a number of stops (thinks it's 10 for GM vehicles).

Al
ssjones #342290 09/15/2009 5:57 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I think anti-lock brakes would have prevented the only time I went down on the bike. I don't think I would favor passing a law on anti-lock breaks, but I would favor having them on my bike.

roadworthy #342291 09/15/2009 11:12 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

Why don't they address the real problem? You can have ABS, all weather grip tires, super traction control, self parking, rear camera, auto seatbelt, airbags, any number of super safety features, but when you put an inattentive, cell phone using, book reading, cheeseburger eating, make-up applying, shaving, movie watching dumbass piece of sh!t behind the wheel, none of the safety features work because the driver was doing something else. What the F are antilock brakes going to do when you get T-boned in an intersection? They say deaths and injuries are up over the past 10 years, but what's the ratio of squid to responsible rider? How many fatal accidents could have been prevented with a little common sense? What's the ratio of sport bike fatality to other bikes?

I agree but there are quite a few cruiser riding nitwits too.

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
The_Dog33 #342292 09/16/2009 1:02 AM
Saddle Sore
Saddle Sore
My only experience with ABS brakes was driving in my wife's Chevy Blazer several winters ago. The roads were snow covered and she asked me to take the thing for a ride because "something's wrong with the brakes". It was in 4wd Hi and I was coming uphill to a stop sign. I applied the brakes, something went BRRRRRRRRAAPPPPPPPPP and the thing pawed it's way right through the stop sign. Up hill. Wouldn't stop. I tried it again - same response. Put it in 2wd and it stopped. But had to put it in 4wd to pull out again.

I have no idea what would occur on a motorcycle with ABS (not in the snow, of course) but any government mandated safety feature on any vehicle just removes a little more responsibility for the driver to actually learn how to drive.

I don't think I'm "for" this one.

More flags More fun!
The_Dog33 #342293 09/16/2009 4:58 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

Quote:

What's the ratio of sport bike fatality to other bikes?

I agree but there are quite a few cruiser riding nitwits too.

Absolutely! I ride with both crowds, and yes, there are exceptions to the rule, but I find most sprotbike riders really haul a$$, but ride with full gear and in a more "aware" state , while my cruiser friends putt around, but with no helmet, and under the influence of alcohol and/or weed.
Of course, theres the J.C.Whitney cover model guys, but their heads are usually wedged WAY up their a$$es.

Ah!, choices, choices.
(Which "Biker-a$$hole" to be?)

And you may see me tonight With an illegal smile J. Prine
Deon #342294 09/16/2009 5:03 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Me too. I know there are times I'm glad the ABS on my cage worked as intended, but there are times I didn't like the ABS "easing-off" as my cage continued forward.

I've yet to experience a panic situation and the ABS NOT work as intended! I sure hope I NEVER do!

And you may see me tonight With an illegal smile J. Prine

Moderated by  bennybmn, chy, freedom 

Link Copied to Clipboard