Steve McQueen inspired
by Feral, November 28
GaRally22
GaRally22
by chy, September 18
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Emissions Testing in California Becoming Reality?
#318223 03/05/2009 3:01 PM
"Lighten up, Francis."
OP Offline
"Lighten up, Francis."
Yet ANOTHER reason not to move back to California...

Quote:

For those of you living and riding in the state of California, you should be aware of a proposed senate bill that will require smog checks for motorcycles. Senate Bill 435, introduced by California State Senator Pavley on February 26, proposes smog checks on motorcycles, beginning January 1st, 2012, for all motorcycles model year 2000 or newer. All motorcycles had previously been excluded.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2009/03/05/california-planning-motorcycle-smog-checks/

BA.com Caretaker | Friarsride | jb.com
Re: Emissions Testing in California Becoming Reality?
FriarJohn #318224 03/05/2009 5:26 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
That's interesting. Another reason I'm glad not to live in Kaleeforneea.

I wonder how the test will be set up? In Illinois, they can put your car on a rolling dyno for 240 seconds to similate road conditions. I used to hate taking my manual trans cars there!

Can you imagine some knucklehead state employee trying to put a motorcycle on a dyno? And the bike owners just waiting for them to screw up. I know I wouldn't be real comfortable with it, very few people touch my bikes.

Stewart ....... "It's outside your field of expertise." "Poppycock normally is."
Re: Emissions Testing in California Becoming Reali
roundy77 #318225 03/05/2009 7:22 PM
"Lighten up, Francis."
OP Offline
"Lighten up, Francis."
I imagine they'll have to do tailpipe tests. Who knows?

BA.com Caretaker | Friarsride | jb.com
roundy77 #318226 03/05/2009 8:04 PM
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
Quote:

In Illinois, they can put your car on a rolling dyno for 240 seconds to similate road conditions. I used to hate taking my manual trans cars there!

They had that system here in Missouri too, but cancelled the program last year. Well, they did away with it being state operated, now individual shops can inspect and do the emissions test. No tail pipe tests, they just hook up the on board computer to see if it passes. My VW failed the first time because the computer read it as a bad glow plug (its a diesel). So we re-set the computer and it passed... I don't understand the point of it, except legal extortion money for the state.

Always remember to be yourself. Unless you suck. Then pretend to be someone else.
roundy77 #318227 03/07/2009 2:43 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

That's interesting. Another reason I'm glad not to live in Kaleeforneea.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Stew for havin' that attitude!!!

And PLEASE continue to spead the word that "Kaleeforneea" is a one LOUSY(though...warm year ago for great all-year motorcycle riding, sunny, topographically diverse for stuff like great mountain "twisties" action, etc, etc, etc) PLACE to live, will ya dude???

Because, of course...WE DON'T NEED ANY MORE STINKIN' PEOPLE MOVIN' OUT HERE!!!!

(BTW Stew...did you have "fun" ridin' your Triumph in the Indiana snow this winter?...OR, did you do to it what I think you guys back there refer to as "winterizing" it, or somethin' like that anyway???)

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
Dwight #318228 03/08/2009 12:15 AM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
I might get snow and cold but I can say with all honesty I have never experienced an earthquake or mud slide that took a house down the side of a steep hill!

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
The_Dog33 #318229 03/08/2009 12:25 AM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Wimp!!! We native Californians LOOK FORWARD to these little shakers out here!!!

How the heck do ya think we fix our martinis the "Bond, James Bond Way", huh???

(AND...you ain't LIVED 'til you've "Hang Ten" on your patio while it's slidin' down Sunset Blvd, dude!!!!)

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
Dwight #318230 03/08/2009 12:39 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Hey, Ian
Don't forget about the cost of living, C.A.R.B, and the annual forest fires. Sounds like paradise.

Stewart ....... "It's outside your field of expertise." "Poppycock normally is."
roundy77 #318231 03/09/2009 3:27 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Well, THAT'S certainly true, Stew ol' boy!

(HEY! here's an idea...MAYBE we can start usin' some of that SALT that eats up your cars and motorsickles back there to help fight these here fires whenever they start blazin' away, HUH???)

Dwight #318232 03/09/2009 3:47 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Hey get it right, they don't use salt here - They use SAND and it's still alll over the roads, making riding a joy!

roundy77 #318233 03/09/2009 4:33 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
They do use salt here and it washes off and never washes away my house!

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
The_Dog33 #318234 03/09/2009 5:30 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Then, like I said above Ian...You AIN'T EVER gonna experience the "fun" of HANGIN' TEN off YOUR patio as YOU surf on it down YOUR street then, ARE YA???!!!

(COWABUNGA DUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!!)

FriarJohn #318235 04/09/2009 8:37 PM
Old Hand
Old Hand
looks like I escaped just in time.

Let's hope there's intelligent life somewhere in space 'cause it's buggar all down here. -- Monte Python
Dwight #318236 04/11/2009 11:52 AM
3/4 Throttle
3/4 Throttle
You California guys are touchy...

Redbike7 2006 America No amount of skill can overcome gross stupidity. Ask me how I know...never mind, I forgot...
redbike7 #318237 05/29/2009 8:41 AM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Why the ef should a 900cc motor have to meet the same requirement as a V8? If pollutant measurements were in total volume rather than percentages, lawmakers would have gotten greener, higher mileage vehicles years ago. Stupid ba$tards.

'08 America Blue/White; Custom Headlamps, Custom Lowers, Clearview 20", Bafflectomy
Lazyrider #318238 05/29/2009 6:39 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Ahem...sorry Jackson, but almost all motorcycles, especially ones that have had their emission-control devices removed or modified(as I have, BTW), and also those who have less restricted mufflers and subsequently have rejetted their carbs to a more enriched mixture(as I ALSO have, BTW)...well...they ARE far "dirtier" than almost any MODERN automobile is out there on the road....period.

And while I hope if and/or when this legislation passes both houses in Sacramento and if and/or when Dear Ol' Arnold signs it into law that I'll be moved to our retirement home in Prescott AZ so I won't have to retro-fit all that original crap back on to my BA(and as I understand it, my other older bikes would not fall under this proposed regulation, BTW) your reasoning for your stance against this proposed law, well, just doesn't hold water, dude. Yep, offhand I think I could make a better argument against this legislation by advancing the thought that motorcycle registration, even in CA where there are more motorcycles registered than in any other state in the union, are but a miniscule number as compared to all the autos registered in this state. OR, what this would do to many manufactures' and retailers' fortunes who specialize in aftermarket motorcycle parts. And I'm sure there has to be a number of other arguments that might be advanced so as to get this proposal ended. BUT, the amount of cylinders firing within or the displacement differences between any two different engines really has little to no direct correlation to the amount of their respective "dirty" exhaust emissions.

(but yeah, like I said, this WOULD BE a friggin' pain-in-the-you-know-where to me personally IF I would've been planning to remain in California once my wife retires at the end of this year)

redbike7 #318239 05/29/2009 8:06 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

You California guys are touchy...

Oh, and BTW Dick, I've been meanin' to answer this observation o' yours for a while now, and because Jackson here started me up again, I'll attempt to explain this so-called "Californian Touchy-ness" here. And ironically this very issue here is basically at the very center of this phenomenon of which you spoke.

You see, over the last century California has been one of the most desirable locales on this planet in which to live. Yep. It has a very moderate climate, beautiful scenery, AND maybe most importantly, job opportunies galore! And so, because of these very attributes and many many more attributes which would take much too much time in order to recount them for you at this time, people from ALL OVER this planet have made their way to these golden shores here, and thus now there are an abundance of these people here in California! And sooooo, those morons we elect(and don't kid yourself here, those "morons" we elect to serve our individual AND collective interests in Sacramento are STILL probably smarter, or at least "cleverer" than most of the rest of us morons in this state AND probably every other state in the union, BUT they're STILL morons of course) and BY NECESSITY ponder and often pass these sorts of laws in other to make this once GREATEST state in the union as livable as possible for the GREATEST AMOUNT of people! And, that's so this multitude of people now living in California(the most populous state in this union of states, mind you) can live in as livable an environment as possible, because the more people there are ANYWHERE, the more problems they tend to generate.

And so to recap here....

This whole thing(both this so-called "Californian Touchy-ness" AND these sorts of regulations) is probably WHY some of the Right Wingers in many other parts of this country and even HERE sometimes, and maybe justifiably so sometimes, often refer to my native state as "The Peoples Republik of Kalifornia", and ONCE again, THAT may ALL be due to there being entirely...TOO MANY FRIGGIN' PEOPLE HERE NOW!!!!

(and sooooooo.....as I said above in my previous posting, come the end of this year....ARIZONA HERE I COME!!! GET READY OVER THERE FOLKS, 'CAUSE NOW I'M GONNA INCREASE THE POPULATION OF YOUR STATE!!!!)

Dwight #318240 05/30/2009 6:52 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Great, just what we need, another Kalifornicator clogging up the roads here, and voting to put our state as deep in the state budget hole as they are. But then it is too late to stop the damage being done by the Californians here. They already destroyed the housing market in the Phoenix area, and our budget deficit is worse than California if you look at it as a percentage of the total deficit in each state.

Just don't pass any laws while you're here that prevents me from BBQing with mesquite charcoal and the pecan wood I get locally or there will be consequences. After all, we aren't like California, most of us are armed and carrying.

Cya in Jerome!

SalMaglie #318241 05/30/2009 11:19 AM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Hey Derek, it wasn't ME who passed that no charcoal grilling law there in Prescott, dude! It was a city ordinance passed by Arizonans, you ex-Californian, you!!!

(man...so THAT'S why you didn't show up at this year's SWTF, huh?!....still p*ssed off about the "Great BBQ Controversy", huh?!)

Dwight #318242 05/30/2009 3:31 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Quote:

the displacement differences between any two different engines really has little to no direct correlation to the amount of their respective "dirty" exhaust emissions

Are we discussing the same thing, Dwight? Seems to me that a 5 liter motor that produces the same PPM NOx (for example) as a 1 liter motor is polluting five times as much.

'08 America Blue/White; Custom Headlamps, Custom Lowers, Clearview 20", Bafflectomy
Lazyrider #318243 05/31/2009 4:44 AM
I live in the sun downunder
I live in the sun downunder
Quote:

Quote:

the displacement differences between any two different engines really has little to no direct correlation to the amount of their respective "dirty" exhaust emissions

Are we discussing the same thing, Dwight? Seems to me that a 5 liter motor that produces the same PPM NOx (for example) as a 1 liter motor is polluting five times as much.

I would have thought the emmisions from a gasoline engine would be relative to the amount of fuel burned over a given distance.

If a V8 car burns a gallon of fuel every 18 miles it must be emitting more pollution than a motorcycle using 1/2 a gallon over the same distance.

Correct me if I am wrong

FrankW Ex Speedmaster rider, went to the Dark Side now riding an America.
FrankW #318244 06/01/2009 12:09 AM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Quote:

If a V8 car burns a gallon of fuel every 18 miles it must be emitting more pollution than a motorcycle using 1/2 a gallon over the same distance.

That's exactly what I'm saying. So why should a MC (or a scooter or lawnmower) have to meet the same emission PPM requirements as a V8 Suburban? This is just one more example of government sacrificing its obligation to be competent and effective, in order to achieve a political agenda. I don't understand why the companies affected haven't lobbied for change. Except for maybe a bike that has a humongously huge motor (like the R3), a water-cooled machine is not in my future.

Lazyrider #318245 06/05/2009 1:18 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

Quote:

That's exactly what I'm saying. So why should a MC (or a scooter or lawnmower) have to meet the same emission PPM requirements as a V8 Suburban?

Jack, seeing as how you've brought up the issue of lawn mowers and small displacement engines, as just one example, if you'll go to this Wikipedia page about lawn mowers and then scroll down to "Environmental impact", I think you'll see what I'm talking about here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawn_mower

Dwight #318246 06/05/2009 6:22 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
It's true that a large V-8 will put out a bigger volume of exhaust per mile than a motorcycle.
But.
If the content of the V-8's exhaust does not contain a large amount of unburned hydrocarbons (nice and "green"),
and the bike is running open pipes, tuned for POWER,
the bike will have more pollutants in it's exhaust and be
dirtier.

This is why you keep your old stock mufflers and jets.
And your bike only has to pass the emission regs for it's
year of manufacture, not current ones.
They can't get around that one without a Constitutional Amendment.

Steelheart- '03 Speedmaster Black/Yellow The Hayabusa Killa 16" Shorties/140 mains/Airbox drilled Procom CDI "There is no cure for Celibacy. But we can treat the symptoms."
Dwight #318247 07/14/2009 10:35 AM
Old Hand
Old Hand
I had a true zero pollution mower untill the OL made me give t away when we last moved. We just got in a shipment of similar ones at Lowes, think I might get one. I did manage to sneak my zero pollution edger into the move, but there is nothing to edge here.

Let's hope there's intelligent life somewhere in space 'cause it's buggar all down here. -- Monte Python
Greybeard #318248 07/22/2009 8:37 PM
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
Was it you who had the story about the person who wasn't happy with their electric roto tiller? That they got it cause it was "greener" than a gas one, and someone commented that a green tiller is a shovel.

Benny Black & Silver '02 Too many mods to list Not enough miles ridden
bennybmn #318249 07/24/2009 11:49 PM
Well, here in Maricopa county Arizona, we have motorcycle smog tests. It is an idle test only. I was sweating it as my bike came from the dealer in CA with Bub slash cuts and rejetted for same. The air inject. was removed and the bike still passed. All they know is what the computer reads at the pipe.

1970 Bonneville, 2001 Yamaha 250 Virago (Wife's), 2003 Speedmaster
bennybmn #318250 08/02/2009 11:17 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

Was it you who had the story about the person who wasn't happy with their electric roto tiller? That they got it cause it was "greener" than a gas one, and someone commented that a green tiller is a shovel.

Not that green if the operator eats beans.

The_Dog33 #318251 08/25/2009 9:24 PM
I hate to pop everyone's bubble, but some places in Kalifornia don't even require cars to get smog checks on an annual basis. I live up in the Mother Lode country and we don't have smog checks on vehicles up here. I guess the ranchers put up enough resistance that we were able to avoid the fun and games you big city folks get to have.

Now that doesn't mean that we can avoid all the crazy stuff that they think up in Sacramento, but at least we slipped under the radar on smog checks. Thank God. Oops, am I still allowed to say that ?

Last edited by skromfols; 08/25/2009 9:27 PM.

08 America, A/I &, Calif emissions "stuff" gone, air box removed & battery relocated, billet intakes, UNI Pods, 145 mains, 42 pilots, Stage 2 igniter, intminators, 813 cams, Progressive 412's, modified seat.

Moderated by  bennybmn, chy, freedom 

Link Copied to Clipboard