Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Vietnam and Napalm
SMJoe #597121 06/10/2019 7:12 PM
Fe Butt
Online Content
Fe Butt
I remember it being called a police action.

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
The_Dog33 #597122 06/10/2019 7:47 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
That was Korea Ian,Maybe Vietnam too?.I used to get a laugh from a wonderful, American New Yorker, Korean War veteran,friend of mine,[RIP Eddy].I'd tell him he wasn't in a war he was in a "Police Action" !

Dinosaur.

"Oh Man I only ride 'em.I don't know what makes 'em work". Donald "Oddball" Sutherland

"Don't let the bastards get you down". Kris Kristofferson

"I am only paranoid because everyone is against me". Larry [Frank Burns] Linville
The_Dog33 #597123 06/10/2019 11:11 PM
New Tires
New Tires
You guys do know Napalm was used in WWII, Korea and VN, both dropped from planes and it's what is used in flame throwers. We still occasionally use it.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. H. L. Mencken
MACMC #597124 06/11/2019 12:53 AM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
Quote:

You guys do know Napalm was used in WWII, Korea and VN, both dropped from planes and it's what is used in flame throwers. We still occasionally use it.

Jellied gasoline.

We all like to think of ourselves as rugged individualists. But when push comes to shove most of us are sheep who do what we are told. Worst of all, a lot of us become unpaid agents of whoever is controlling the agenda by enforcing the current dogma on the few rugged individualists who actually exist.
SMJoe #597125 06/11/2019 12:58 AM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
Quote:

"American Aggression" Sorry I meant to get back to that sooner but what can I say I got busy with wife's 65th and other things.
War was never declared from what I recollect and well while travelling in Vietnam last year I kind of adopted their version of the name for what happened.
The French before did their best to break the Vietnamese spirit throwing political disadents into prison severly torturing them and exploiting the population for their own gain but then the French gave up. Americans came along after inheriting the situation and thought with their superior fire power they could defeat the will of the people but the Vietnamese again outlasted the aggressor uniting the country under one government crushing the corrupt military.
In the end it was a proxy war against the Chinese and Russians fought on someone else's soil.

Back to Napalm, was it dropped on Laos and the "secret" war in Cambodia as well?

The will of what people? There were lots of Vietnamese who didn't want to live under Uncle Ho. A lot of them died, spent years in "reeducation camps" and got the he11 out of there. A lot of them are in the US now. Communists always claim to be on the side of "the people." At least 100 million of them died under the tender care of their liberators in the last century.

We all like to think of ourselves as rugged individualists. But when push comes to shove most of us are sheep who do what we are told. Worst of all, a lot of us become unpaid agents of whoever is controlling the agenda by enforcing the current dogma on the few rugged individualists who actually exist.
ladisney #597126 06/11/2019 10:07 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
I don't know why all the fuss.We were bring in democracy to the freedom loving Vietnamese people.Just because the South was run by corrupt self serving despotic dictators so what?
Read "A bright shining Lie"I can't remember who wrote it but an American military person who saw, and was appalled, at what was happening

Dinosaur.

"Oh Man I only ride 'em.I don't know what makes 'em work". Donald "Oddball" Sutherland

"I am only paranoid because everyone is against me". Larry [Frank Burns] Linville
findlay13 #597127 06/11/2019 1:45 PM
New Tires
New Tires
We saved and protected "despotic dictators" before successfully, when do you think S Korea became an actual democracy?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. H. L. Mencken
findlay13 #597128 06/11/2019 4:10 PM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
Quote:

I don't know why all the fuss.We were bring in democracy to the freedom loving Vietnamese people.Just because the South was run by corrupt self serving despotic dictators so what?
Read "A bright shining Lie"I can't remember who wrote it but an American military person who saw, and was appalled, at what was happening

And what was the North run by? A totalitarian dictatorship that could have lived in peace with it's southern neighbor but chose instead to foment rebellion in the South and, in the end, invade and conquer the South. The government in the South may have been corrupt but so was the North.

ladisney #597129 06/11/2019 10:58 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
I think the north was run by Vietnamese after booting out the French capitalists who treated them really really poorly exploiting them like so many other colonialists. They looked north to China and Russia and saw similar scenerios and decided that is what is needed to get their country back on track. They then looked south and saw their brothers being exploited and decided they needed to do something about it. Capitalists hate being told they cant do what they think they have the right to do and so the battles ensued because the capitalists had the superior fighting power. 1000s on both sides lost to idealogy once again.

Financially the country is doing very well at this point however its ex military politicos that are making the fortunes and the rest work hard and have capitalist opportunities, they blow our brains out with growth potential.

SMJoe #597130 06/12/2019 1:41 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
And what was the North run by? A totalitarian dictatorship that could have lived in peace with it's southern neighbor but chose instead to foment rebellion in the South and, in the end, invade and conquer the South. The government in the South may have been corrupt but so was the North.

So it's ok if "Our" dictators are killing raping disappearing folks etc. But it sort of goes against the fable of"You're fighting for your country Son" "You're fighting to save the free world." The truth is "you're fighting for big business Son and the almighty dollar." I TOTALLY support WW2 and the war against Hitler and the Japs that NEEDED to be fought, but most if not all, since have been for business.The military,industrial complex.

Anyway,Mods why don't you stick this in the cone? I will refrain from further comment

Dinosaur.

findlay13 #597131 06/12/2019 11:40 AM
New Tires
New Tires
In both VN and Korea there was nationalist motivation to reunite the countries and seek independence. Both NVN, N Korea like N China believed in International communism and wanted the riches of the capitalist in the south in all cases. The Chinese, and VN at least evolved into state capitalism, N Korea didn't.

Colonialism is a mixed bag, the out comes after independence depends greatly on which colonial power ruled. The USA and Australia were lucky.

MACMC #597132 06/12/2019 12:17 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

In both VN and Korea there was nationalist motivation to reunite the countries and seek independence. Both NVN, N Korea like N China believed in International communism and wanted the riches of the capitalist in the south in all cases. The Chinese, and VN at least evolved into state capitalism, N Korea didn't.

Colonialism is a mixed bag, the out comes after independence depends greatly on which colonial power ruled. The USA and Australia were lucky.

Oh, I wouldn't say we Yanks were all that "lucky" in regard to the "unification" of this our country, Mac.

As you may recall from your high school U.S. history classes, Abraham Lincoln once famously stated, "A house divided can not stand", and a little while later after he made that comment and was elected to the highest office in our land, a particular war of some repute and one which would result in the most American fatalities incurred in our history, the American Civil War, would commence.

And thus, indeed and once again, making we Americans not all that "lucky" in regard to the unified country we know today.

Oh, and one more thing regarding all this. What it seems almost all the so-called Western Powers and their various international geo-political strategists have NEVER EVER seemed to understand is that ALL the various countries in this world and regardless them being located in Asia or not, MOST often have completely different histories and cultures, and so to analogize two completely different countries such as Korea and Vietnam is an effort both in futility and in wrongheadedness.

(...and which btw, these very sorts of SAME mistakes made BY the aforementioned Western Powers' geo-political strategists after WWI would in many cases be the very cause of WWII...and which after THAT war and the diplomatic mistakes made THEN, would somewhat result in the Vietnam War that WE then got our blundering American asses into!!!!!)

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
Dwight #597133 06/12/2019 6:40 PM
New Tires
New Tires
Slavery was always an issue that sooner or later would explode. It was always a moral and political issue, but through political compromise our nation was able to be established. Less we forget that even with the North's 3/5s census count for slaves the South maintain enormous political power right up till the Civil War.

The USA is and always has been divided.

You are correct about post WWI.

Nam and Korea as well as Europe (NATO) was all about our policy of containment, blame our best and brightest.

MACMC #597134 06/12/2019 6:45 PM
Fe Butt
Online Content
Fe Butt
I would not say this country is unified now and getting worse.

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
The_Dog33 #597135 06/13/2019 2:47 AM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

I would not say this country is unified now and getting worse.

REALLY???

You mean even WITH all the effort at bringin' us together as a unified country that the latest guy who's sittin' his fat ass in the Oval Office has exerted the last couple of years and by use of his ever so statesman-like DEMEANOR???

You're KIDDIN', right?!!!

Why, and speakin' of Abe Lincoln here, I've recently heard that this one particular movie actor who coincidentally once won an Oscar for playing a returning paralyzed Vietnam War veteran (and who btw ALSO can't even "get together" and "unify" with HIS OWN estranged daughter who's ALSO a movie actor, AND somethin' of which I THINK says SOMETHIN' about the guy HIMSELF) has recently publicly stated that HE believes our present POTUS (the aforementioned one with the big fat ass) is THE greatest President since ol' Abe HIMSELF!

(...and so, if HE'S right about this, then I'm sure we're in for better times ahead AND a more unified good ol' U.S. of A. in the near future!!!)

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
Dwight #597136 06/13/2019 7:29 AM
Fe Butt
Online Content
Fe Butt
Goes back father than that, Obama was very devisive but it really can't be put at the feet of any one person.

The_Dog33 #597137 06/13/2019 10:55 AM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

Goes back father than that, Obama was very devisive but it really can't be put at the feet of any one person.

DUDE!!!

When it comes OR came to men who have EVER held the highest freakin' office in this land and who have used DIVISIVENESS as a means to their political ends, Barack Obama AND almost withOUT exception every OTHER god-dammed swingin'-dick who preceded him INTO that office, has PALED in god-damned COMPARISON to the fat-assed guy who NOW holds that office...PERIOD!!! AND, there is NO god-damned DOUBT about THIS!!!

AND btw, THIS by his USE of his extremely limited vocabulary WHICH has apparently given the impression to a minority of our fellow "divided" Americans that he's somehow "tellin' it like it is" and/or "bein' the tough hard-nosed guy that we need runnin' this country", and with BOTH of these thoughts being as much ILL-considered as the fat-assed guy HIMSELF is "eloquent" and/or a "unifier"!!!

And thus perhaps, no, make that almost SURELY the very REASON for your earlier "and getting worse" comment.

(...and now I think I'll join our Aussie friend Paul and refrain from any further comment within this thread...and which YES as he made comment, SHOULD be moved to the "Cone" forum...good day, all!)

Dwight #597138 06/13/2019 6:00 PM
Fe Butt
Online Content
Fe Butt
I won't argue this with you but Obama is the most devidive ever. Trump is not devisive the liberals and some consevitives that won't accept him after being duely elected are.

The_Dog33 #597139 06/14/2019 9:32 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

I won't argue this with you but Obama is the most devidive ever. Trump is not devisive the liberals and some consevitives that won't accept him after being duely elected are.

Agreed.

Never in the history of the US since the Civil War have we been so divided. And this is strictly because of the crybaby left wing that still haven't recovered from losing the 2016 presidential election. No other President since 1865 has ever suffered such abuse from the media, celebrities or opposing politicians. Their behavior has been nothing less than atrocious.
We currently have a President that is trying to put America and Americans first and is being fought at every turn by the left wing. It's time to put aside the snowflake, crybaby response to everything President Trump says or does.

Here's a bizarre example...
Washington Post...

Last edited by Speedmaster05; 06/14/2019 10:48 AM.

Kevin - Luceo Non Uro
ladisney #597140 06/14/2019 7:17 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

Quote:

"American Aggression" Sorry I meant to get back to that sooner but what can I say I got busy with wife's 65th and other things.
War was never declared from what I recollect and well while travelling in Vietnam last year I kind of adopted their version of the name for what happened.
The French before did their best to break the Vietnamese spirit throwing political disadents into prison severly torturing them and exploiting the population for their own gain but then the French gave up. Americans came along after inheriting the situation and thought with their superior fire power they could defeat the will of the people but the Vietnamese again outlasted the aggressor uniting the country under one government crushing the corrupt military.
In the end it was a proxy war against the Chinese and Russians fought on someone else's soil.

Back to Napalm, was it dropped on Laos and the "secret" war in Cambodia as well?

The will of what people? There were lots of Vietnamese who didn't want to live under Uncle Ho. A lot of them died, spent years in "reeducation camps" and got the he11 out of there. A lot of them are in the US now. Communists always claim to be on the side of "the people." At least 100 million of them died under the tender care of their liberators in the last century.

Why is necessary to point out the French were very oppressive they imprissoned and tortured many Vietnamese who did not like their capitalism but managed to survive over a period of 150 years. (they were pi$$ed off when they kicked out the French, many in Ho's party spent time in what is known to the US as Hanoi Hilton in much more severe containment) Then the Americans became the aggressors taking over from the "Les Granuilles" wtf do you think they thought of those that supported the Imperialist capitalist supporters (who frankly had no choice)?
Its not like the US is exempt from such behaviour on Their own soil, North American Indians have been subjected to similar actions?

Yup its the American Military Machine that wanted to test out their might against a people that were being substidized and I emphasize the prefix sub because the US and their allies had such superior fire power. Yet, you left and they won.

SMJoe #597141 06/15/2019 11:33 AM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
Yeah, those military guys like nothing better than killing people & blowing things up just for the he11 of it.

I'm guessing we were the aggressor in Korea too? After all, weren't we just replacing the Japanese? Oh those horrible lying Americans, just looking for an excuse to commit wanton murder in support of non communists. Good thing there were Russian supported communists there to ensure that the good guys won in the end.

ladisney #597142 06/15/2019 3:13 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Military guys do what they do because someone else tells them what to do that isn't news. I am sure it wasn't your choice or my Aussie buddies choice to slog it out in the back woods of Nam but it was the Vietnamese choice and their country to unite, the military action just delayed things and no kidding worsened things for those in the south.

SMJoe #597143 06/15/2019 5:33 PM
Fe Butt
Online Content
Fe Butt
I love the smell of napalm in the morning

SMJoe #597144 06/15/2019 11:52 PM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
Quote:

Military guys do what they do because someone else tells them what to do that isn't news. I am sure it wasn't your choice or my Aussie buddies choice to slog it out in the back woods of Nam but it was the Vietnamese choice and their country to unite, the military action just delayed things and no kidding worsened things for those in the south.

Yes, I guess it was their country to unite. Just like it was the Koreans choice to unite Korea in 1950. The difference was that in Korea the US kept it's word and guaranteed the safety of the South rather than cut and run while telling the communists we would do nothing to stop them if they violated the peace treaty.

ladisney #597145 06/17/2019 10:14 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
We all make mistakes and that was one of them admit it get over it. The intellegence services must have been diswayed by the military industrial machine to think they could defeat those people. It wasnt that long after Korea and there are all those new devices to be tried out so heck lets do it again theres lots of money to be made from this.

Its not like they didnt do it again in Iraq looking for a reason to invade, lets make some money?

Did you make any?

SMJoe #597146 06/17/2019 11:04 PM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
Quote:

Its not like they didnt do it again in Iraq looking for a reason to invade, lets make some money?

Did you make any?

Sure, that's why everyone goes into the military. All that cash. All the politicians, DOD civilians and especially the officers are all in it for the money.

SMJoe #597147 06/18/2019 10:30 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

We all make mistakes and that was one of them admit it get over it. The intellegence services must have been diswayed by the military industrial machine to think they could defeat those people. It wasnt that long after Korea and there are all those new devices to be tried out so heck lets do it again theres lots of money to be made from this.

Did you make any?

Dinosaur.

Speedmaster05 #597148 06/18/2019 8:57 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

Quote:

Agreed.

Never in the history of the US since the Civil War have we been so divided. And this is strictly because of the crybaby left wing that still haven't recovered from losing the 2016 presidential election. No other President since 1865 has ever suffered such abuse from the media, celebrities or opposing politicians. Their behavior has been nothing less than atrocious.
We currently have a President that is trying to put America and Americans first and is being fought at every turn by the left wing. It's time to put aside the snowflake, crybaby response to everything President Trump says or does.

Here's a bizarre example...
Washington Post...

First, I don't recall "divisive" Obama CRYING, yes CRYING like a spoiled little child, at EVERY perceived "slight" OR disagreement over HIS stated policies and/or conduct like the freakin' Man-Child-in-Chief has done on almost a DAILY damn basis these past two years! And quite often these little perceived "slights" he's received and continues to waste his damn time at AS our sitting President by constantly replying to are submitted by people in the damn entertainment industry, and are people who he REALLY should NOT give a rat's ass about, let ALONE waste his damn time in answering or replying to! And so NOW that the fat-assed egomaniac IS President, he SHOULD be ABOVE all that!

AND once again, when HE'S doing that, he sounds like a freakin' crybaby, and shows how little ability as a STATESMAN he truly possesses. Statesmen build unity, ya know.

I mean, there IS a reason those Brits over there fly that big balloon in the shape of him being a big crying baby and other than they "just don't like him". It's because almost EVERY damn time he opens his damn piehole OR fires off one of his juvenile little tweets, he comes across as just THAT!!!

But of course the ONE thing our "patriot" "Capt. Bone Spurs" DOES possess is his ability to both literally AND figuratively wrap himself up in Old Glory! I'll give you THAT at least.

(...yeah yeah, THAT'S right!...I'mmmmm BAAAACK!!!)

Dwight #597149 06/18/2019 9:20 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
And, one MORE "complaint" I'll now share about his inability at "statesmanship" and at "consensus-building" and thus his continued failure to help pull this country a little more together, would be that DUE to this inability, he has "helped" the god-damned far-Left element solidify their base, and now almost every one of those idiots running for his office in '20 in the other major political party have jumped on the freakin' Bernie Bandwagon.

AND, as a political Centrist(YEAH, that's right Larry...CENTRIST!) THOSE damn idiots "scare" or at least "dishearten" me about the future of this country ALMOST as much as your damn Man-Child-in-Chief's juvenile antics do!!!

Dwight #597150 06/18/2019 9:39 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Okay, and now where were we here? Oh yeah..."Vietnam and Napalm".

I think they BOTH sucked!

(...speaking as a Centrist, that is...yep, THAT'S right Larry, a CENTRIST!!!...aah, but that's okay, I understand, Larry...all you freakin' paranoid Right Wingers AND all those freakin' loony Lefties out there JUST don't know what that MEANS anymore it appears, huh!)

Dwight #597151 06/18/2019 9:55 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Btw again...

I STILL can't believe this thread has remained in The Lounge all this time!

(...what...doesn't this website have any moderators anymore???...JIM?!...are you OUT THERE, dude???)

Dwight #597152 06/19/2019 10:31 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

(...speaking as a Centrist, that is...yep, THAT'S right Larry, a CENTRIST!!!...aah, but that's okay, I understand, Larry...all you freakin' paranoid Right Wingers AND all those freakin' loony Lefties out there JUST don't know what that MEANS anymore it appears, huh!)

Dinosaur.

Dwight #597153 06/19/2019 11:17 AM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
Quote:

Right, just like all those centrist Democrats running for President. I guess anyone without a molotov cocktail in their hands is a centrist.

ladisney #597154 06/20/2019 10:30 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

Quote:

Right, just like all those centrist Democrats running for President. I guess anyone without a molotov cocktail in their hands is a centrist.

GEEZ Larry ol' boy! Did I NOT just say in this thing that almost all those people attempting to unseat the Man-Child-in-Chief in 2020 have "jumped on the loony Left Bernie Bandwagon"???

(...boy oh boy...it's like you REALLY don't get what I'm sayin' sometimes, dude...try concentratin' a little more...yeah, maybe THAT'LL help...maybe)

Dwight #597155 06/20/2019 10:45 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
AND once again...REALLY?! This baby is STILL in The Lounge HERE???!!!

Dwight #597156 06/20/2019 11:40 PM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
Did you know that EVERY Democrat in Congress voted to require that schools allow boys/men to compete as girls/women against actual girls/women in sports? That is EVERY Democrat. So much for centrists.

ladisney #597157 06/20/2019 11:58 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

Did you know that EVERY Democrat in Congress voted to require that schools allow boys/men to compete as girls/women against actual girls/women in sports? That is EVERY Democrat. So much for centrists.

Geez AGAIN, dude! Like ANYBODY with a freakin' IQ of over 100 would even care about THIS insignificant matter! And I KNOW your "IQ" is higher than THAT figure!

So in essence it sounds as if you're also one of those people who got/get all bent out of shape about transgendered people using the public bathroom they most identify with, right?!

Well dude, in the immortal words of Clark Gable in that flick about the Civil War, "Frankly my dear, I don't GIVE a damn!". And frankly again, YEAH, I'd say MOST "Centrists" feel this way about this sort'a insignificant thing TOO, for your information. And ALSO for your information, "feeling this way" about THIS insignificant little freakin' matter would NOT make someone some "wild-eyed loony Lefty" because of it, believe it or NOT!!!

(...ya see here Larry, the PROBLEM with your REPUBLICAN party is that there ARE no more "Centrists" in that party anymore...well, not since the HONORABLE John McCain bit the freakin' dust, anyway)

Dwight #597158 06/21/2019 12:02 AM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
AND once again I REITERATE...

This freakin' thread is STILL in The Lounge, WHY???!!!

I'm PRETTY damn SURE it says somethin' about "No politics or religion" in this part of this website right there in the "Main Index", now DOESN'T IT???!!!

(...so will SOMEBODY who's STILL a moderator around here please MOVE this damn thread to "The Cone", and so I won't be further "tempted" to "correct" Larry about all of his "misconceptions"/"over-generalizations"/"black or white"/"them vs us" statements here...ya know, I swore off goin' to "The Cone" YEARS ago because I got tired of doin' just THAT, and almost ALWAYS to no god-damned avail!!!)

Dwight #597159 06/21/2019 6:51 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
I quit the cone years ago too.

Dinosaur.

Dwight #597160 06/21/2019 4:11 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

AND once again I REITERATE...

This freakin' thread is STILL in The Lounge, WHY???!!!

I'm PRETTY damn SURE it says somethin' about "No politics or religion" in this part of this website right there in the "Main Index", now DOESN'T IT???!!!

(...so will SOMEBODY who's STILL a moderator around here please MOVE this damn thread to "The Cone", and so I won't be further "tempted" to "correct" Larry about all of his "misconceptions"/"over-generalizations"/"black or white"/"them vs us" statements here...ya know, I swore off goin' to "The Cone" YEARS ago because I got tired of doin' just THAT, and almost ALWAYS to no god-damned avail!!!)

So, you have a weakness for "temptation", Dwight?

Bedouin. Blessed are those eyes that have seen more roads than any man! (Homer).
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard