Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Can't win
#594147 07/27/2018 1:50 PM
Old Hand
OP Offline
Old Hand
Still not feeling well. Can't tell if I'm a little better or just getting used to feeling like crap.
Anyway, when I got up this morning, I found my little granny dog laying by my chair waiting for me like she always does except this time, she was cold and stiff. I knew she was getting really old, so I told her a few days ago that when she moves on to tell them I said she's get moxy. When we rescued her years ago, her little legs were all crooked, her ribs were messed up and I could feel a hole in one of them. She loved my rat terrier and got along well with the 2 pit bulls. The first snow storm we had after we got her, she was running with the big dogs hopping from one foot print to the next in snow deeper than she was tall.
Now, I have to bury her, but I really don't feel up to shoveling. I just hope the tractor will start and the rain the last 2 nights has soften the ground enough to dig a deep enough hole with it.

Let's hope there's intelligent life somewhere in space 'cause it's buggar all down here. -- Monte Python
Re: Can't win
Greybeard #594148 07/27/2018 2:26 PM
Fe Butt
Online Content
Fe Butt
Sorry to hear this, I feel for you. You all know how I feel about dogs. As you know I just had to put Peanut down. I had hoped she would go the way yours did, it's a shock and hurts deeply but I think easier than having to make the decision. I lost Harley that way, she just dropped over dead in her tracks. As others have told me try and remember the good times, I know it's very hard at first but as time passes it gets a little easier but that hole left by her passing will always be there.

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
The_Dog33 #594149 07/27/2018 7:55 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
I'm sorry for you.I like dogs more than most people.I had to say goodbye to my old dog 20years ago.I had him from 5 weeks old,for 13 yrs.and still miss him.

Dinosaur.

"Oh Man I only ride 'em.I don't know what makes 'em work". Donald "Oddball" Sutherland

"Don't let the bastards get you down". Kris Kristofferson

"I am only paranoid because everyone is against me". Larry [Frank Burns] Linville
findlay13 #594150 07/27/2018 9:45 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Very sorry bro. Having your bff leave sure won't help the crappy feeling. One of the hardest things to do was carry my dog to the vet to be put down and hold him the whole way. In a crappy marriage, with a woman who rarely had anything nice to say to you, my dog was the only child i ever had. When he passed, there went the buffer between us. I tell you Ed, it was he and i, a couple of 22 ouncers and a couple hour walk. At least. For both. Man, i miss the walks with him. Sometimes you get so far down, you can only look up. Here's to looking up, Ed. If ya got any good stories ya wanna share, it may help.

06 in Mulberry. AI, Dunstalls, Nology coils, TTP Keep your faith in God, but keep your powder dry. -Oliver Cromwell
luvdemstillers #594151 07/28/2018 5:24 AM
Worn Saddle
Worn Saddle
Darn Ed, that really sucks. A lot of us know that empty feeling, too, and there’s just nothing cheery to be said, except that you know in your heart you gave her a good life and she's left you with some fine memories. It’s okay to mourn a loved one.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)
Greybeard #594152 07/28/2018 10:43 AM
PES Offline
Bar Shake
Bar Shake
I’m so sorry you’re not feeling much better after you radiation therapy Ed. Maybe it will take some more time for you to recover.

I am also sorry you lost your 4 legged friend. I never get used to loosing a dog. Like Ian said it is especially hard if you have to put them down. If you don’t feel good enough to bury her maybe you could take her to the vet and they could hook you up with a pet crematory service. That’s what I have had to do with my dogs that have passed away since I live in the city.
Good luck with everything.

"Catching a yellow jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary" Author unknown
PES #594153 07/28/2018 9:09 PM
Fe Butt
Online Content
Fe Butt
Probably late to suggest anything but I always do individual cremation.

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
The_Dog33 #594154 07/29/2018 5:35 PM
Worn Saddle
Worn Saddle
Quote:

Probably late to suggest anything but I always do individual cremation.

Me too, especially since my pick axe and shovel skills have diminished. That’s really sad duty digging but it can be very cathartic.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)
oldroadie #594155 07/29/2018 6:13 PM
Fe Butt
Online Content
Fe Butt
I have all my dogs ashes and I want them mixed with mine and then spread when I die. Then they will always be with me.

Last edited by The_Dog33; 07/29/2018 6:14 PM.

The_Dog33 #594156 07/30/2018 10:02 AM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
It saddens me to read this.I'm sorry for your's, as well as everyones loss of there four legged buddies.One can never find a more loyal friend.My old girl suffers from old dog lung and has a tumor on her heart,vet says she likely won't make it through the summer.She is 13 now,a chocolate lab,she was a rescue when two.I have two others and they all bring me joy and comfort.Her time is running out so off to the dog park.She don't run much ,but enjoys the walk.

marty #594157 07/31/2018 12:35 AM
Worn Saddle
Worn Saddle
My condolences on the loss of your friend. I always cry when I lose one.

Fidelis et Fortis
Greybeard #594158 07/31/2018 8:41 AM
chy Offline
Loquacious
Loquacious
Bummer that... sorry to hear.

chy #594159 08/06/2018 9:39 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
So, no good cheer up stories? K then, one fond memory is a time my first Boxer saw a deer near the pond. The deer seemingly was across it in about 10 seconds. I yelled no but too late. My dog swam and walked across (shallow spots; maybe a couple hundred feet in total?) in a couple minutes. He gets out of the water, realizes the deer is long gone, then looks at me. I yelled, "Now what, dumb dumb?" Back in the water he comes.

Or when he used to eat small plastic army men or dinosaurs. The yelps he would make when they passed... What's the worst thing your dogs ate?

06 in Mulberry. AI, Dunstalls, Nology coils, TTP Keep your faith in God, but keep your powder dry. -Oliver Cromwell
luvdemstillers #594160 08/06/2018 10:38 PM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
Quote:

So, no good cheer up stories? K then, one fond memory is a time my first Boxer saw a deer near the pond. The deer seemingly was across it in about 10 seconds. I yelled no but too late. My dog swam and walked across (shallow spots; maybe a couple hundred feet in total?) in a couple minutes. He gets out of the water, realizes the deer is long gone, then looks at me. I yelled, "Now what, dumb dumb?" Back in the water he comes.

Or when he used to eat small plastic army men or dinosaurs. The yelps he would make when they passed... What's the worst thing your dogs ate?

Black dress socks. Although I made it a point to keep them away from the crazy mutt every now and then she would get one. It seemed to pass through until the very end when it would not come all the way out. Nothing like having to grab a sock that had gone through a dog, and was still mostly in the dog, and help ease it out of said dog.

We all like to think of ourselves as rugged individualists. But when push comes to shove most of us are sheep who do what we are told. Worst of all, a lot of us become unpaid agents of whoever is controlling the agenda by enforcing the current dogma on the few rugged individualists who actually exist.
ladisney #594161 08/07/2018 3:28 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
My son's basset used to pry the tops off water bottles and one time he swallowed one. It finally worked it's way through but when it got to the launching point it must have gotten wedged in. He struggled for quite a while, must have been building up pressure and then......POP!

The muzzle velocity of that bottle cap was impressive!

Link Copied to Clipboard