Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Brake Fluid and Front Forks
#590812 11/26/2017 12:12 PM
3/4 Throttle
OP Offline
3/4 Throttle
With winter upon us here I have been putting together a list of things I need to do to the bike. I don't want her to get lonely over the winter.

So we have a 2005 America that I bought in 2015 and I am betting the brake fluid and the fork oil has never been changed.

I know there are plenty of threads on the site about doing this stuff, but figured it would be easier to start a thread to hit the highlights and any suggestions you all may have.

If I am going to take the forks off to change the oil do I upgrade the springs? Are there any seals I should replace?

Same with the brakes. If I am replacing the fluids are there any seals I should replace?

Please give me your sage advise.

Road Rash Heals. Freckles Grow Back. Ride
Re: Brake Fluid and Front Forks
BillyIndiana #590813 11/30/2017 9:09 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Hey Bill, after extensive testing by other members, the general concensus where front end stability/brake dive elimination/better handling would be ricor intiminators with factory stock springs. You can reuse your existing springs, and there is a method to account for spring fatigue due to their age & use.

2004 TA/19'slash cuts/150/45/N3RF TBS needles,no shims/2 1/2 turns out/FZ1 springs/clean balanced carbs/pods/18/44/EK chain/TBS cush drive/Commander IIs/Armstrong GG pads/TTP firestarter/TTP safe start/green springs/Pretech 6 pot/Ricors
2004_dup2 #590814 11/30/2017 9:16 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I'm getting ready to do this same stuff also, one of the last areas needing upgrading. If your front brake is working well, no need to rebuild the caliper. And I'm not sure about the fork seals, but I'm sure the upper echelon will chime in.

2004 TA/19'slash cuts/150/45/N3RF TBS needles,no shims/2 1/2 turns out/FZ1 springs/clean balanced carbs/pods/18/44/EK chain/TBS cush drive/Commander IIs/Armstrong GG pads/TTP firestarter/TTP safe start/green springs/Pretech 6 pot/Ricors
BillyIndiana #590815 12/01/2017 3:38 PM
Ryk Offline
Check Pants
Check Pants
Quote:

With winter upon us here I have been putting together a list of things I need to do to the bike. I don't want her to get lonely over the winter.

So we have a 2005 America that I bought in 2015 and I am betting the brake fluid and the fork oil has never been changed.

I know there are plenty of threads on the site about doing this stuff, but figured it would be easier to start a thread to hit the highlights and any suggestions you all may have.

If I am going to take the forks off to change the oil do I upgrade the springs? Are there any seals I should replace?

Same with the brakes. If I am replacing the fluids are there any seals I should replace?

Please give me your sage advise.

If the seals are leaking, change them, but also try to ascertain if the seals wore out from worn surfaces/bushings/bearings, out of spec conditions, etc. which cause premature seal wear. Rubber seals do deteriorate over time, and specially the number of heat cycles endured affects that. But if your original seals are still holding up, change them now or wait until next winter, you should be fine. Fork oil is most effectively changed by pulling the forks, drain over night, then cycle clean diesel in each one, running the stick through its travel while half full, let them drip over night, re install and add your new oil. Ricors are definitely worth the money, no more excessive fork dive and better stability if you run over FOD (foreign objects & debris) on the road surface. Yes, it's time to change the brake fluid.

Ryk #590816 02/20/2019 12:33 AM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
So on a 15 year-old bike with 111K miles that has had the fork oil changed 4-5 times already (every 20K? I think that’s what the book says)

WHAT FORK PARTS SHOULD I BUY TO RE-WORK THE FORKS AND REPLACE SEALS AT THIS STAGE OF THE BIKE’S LIFE?

The actual seals and bushings are a given. I’m thinking I should be prepared to replace anything and everything rubber in there, and any other wearables, if there are such things.

I’ll have professional help, but my local independent shop closed, so this will be a Sunday or Monday kind of deal where he comes to my shop on his off day. I want to have everything I might need for him to be able to do it all same day.

I’m looking for suggestions on parts to acquire other than the seals and bushings.

Thanks in advance,

Keith
Houston
Ridin'Texas
'04 Speedmaster
AI removed, Pingle, UNI Filter, 1 shim, straight-through slash-cut TORs, Stage 1 DynaJet, 140 mains, 3 turns, 16/42 final drive, 115K
2020 T120 Black

Moderated by  bennybmn, chy, mert 

Link Copied to Clipboard