Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Oily Mess
#589978 09/26/2017 11:46 PM
Monkey Butt
OP Offline
Monkey Butt
I put the Freak Kit on a while back including the pod filters. The tube that used to go from the left side of the engine to the airbox now goes to a little filter to vent the crankcase. I'm wondering, does everyone with the freak kit get that constant low level oil leak? I'm thinking of just putting a drain tube down where the airbox used to drain to let it drip straight to the ground rather than on the engine.

We all like to think of ourselves as rugged individualists. But when push comes to shove most of us are sheep who do what we are told. Worst of all, a lot of us become unpaid agents of whoever is controlling the agenda by enforcing the current dogma on the few rugged individualists who actually exist.
Re: Oily Mess
ladisney #589979 09/27/2017 12:10 AM
Ryk Offline
Check Pants
Check Pants
Sounds like excess piston blow by into the crankcase? I would be getting on top of that, the cause that is. It's common when doing a valve freshen on an old engine, the blow by goes in the opposite direction (leaking valve seals) with new piston rings and old tired valves. A comprehensive cylinder pressure test will reveal or dispel your worries and you can do it yourself.

Ryk #589980 09/27/2017 12:52 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I deal with it as well. I also used to get a little residue in the bottom of my airbox, so I don't really worry about with the crankcase breather hose. I don't always have the small mess to clean up, depends how hard I ride that day. I did used to get the mess more frequently when I had the hose angled down somewhat. Now I have the hose even to the top of the motor, maybe even angled up a little,and I still get the mess, but very minor and only sometimes. Ryk's advice is solid. My bike has 55,000 miles, and has never had a valve adjustment, which could have bearing on my blow-by issues. But nominal blow-by is common.

2004 TA/19'slash cuts/150/45/N3RF TBS needles,no shims/2 1/2 turns out/FZ1 springs/clean balanced carbs/pods/18/44/EK chain/TBS cush drive/Commander IIs/Armstrong GG pads/TTP firestarter/TTP safe start/green springs/Pretech 6 pot/Ricors
2004_dup2 #589981 09/27/2017 1:03 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I'm also hard on my bike. You can't help but want to be a little hooligan, because there so much fun to ride when there tuned right. So, considering that I test the rev limiter out on a fairly regular basis, I consider the blow-by to be normal.

2004 TA/19'slash cuts/150/45/N3RF TBS needles,no shims/2 1/2 turns out/FZ1 springs/clean balanced carbs/pods/18/44/EK chain/TBS cush drive/Commander IIs/Armstrong GG pads/TTP firestarter/TTP safe start/green springs/Pretech 6 pot/Ricors
ladisney #589982 09/27/2017 6:31 AM
Worn Saddle
Worn Saddle
Quote:

I'm thinking of just putting a drain tube down where the airbox used to drain to let it drip straight to the ground rather than on the engine.

Alright!, now you're gonna have the best of BOTH worlds! A modern Triumph with "old" Triumph embellishments! Could "points" be far behind?!

Fidelis et Fortis
Ryk #589983 09/27/2017 4:22 PM
Monkey Butt
OP Offline
Monkey Butt
Quote:

Sounds like excess piston blow by into the crankcase? I would be getting on top of that, the cause that is. It's common when doing a valve freshen on an old engine, the blow by goes in the opposite direction (leaking valve seals) with new piston rings and old tired valves. A comprehensive cylinder pressure test will reveal or dispel your worries and you can do it yourself.

I have a little over 105,000 miles on it and nothing has ever been done to the engine. The airbox used to get a little oil in it but it actually SUCKED at the hose. I guess I could try angling it up several inches. The amount of oil is actually fairly small but it still makes a mess.

We all like to think of ourselves as rugged individualists. But when push comes to shove most of us are sheep who do what we are told. Worst of all, a lot of us become unpaid agents of whoever is controlling the agenda by enforcing the current dogma on the few rugged individualists who actually exist.
ladisney #589984 09/27/2017 5:26 PM
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
So I'm dealing with this right now myself. I have a breather filter coming up under the seat and for the past couple years, it's been slowly saturating the filter and the it drips down onto the swingarm and exhaust and makes a mess. I thought I would fix it by drilling a few small holes (like 3/16") in the tube inside the clutch cover. It did not help. Now I have a new centrifugal breather and the seal that goes into the aluminum tube and I plan on doing the replacement work on Saturday. Apparently, that seal that goes in the aluminum tube will wear out and oil will leak in around it and push up the tube and out. They also redesigned the mating tube from the centrifugal breather and the breather tube so it makes mating with the seal easier. I guess it was what, like 2005 or so when they got rid of the centrifugal style breather and went to the labyrinth style breather that is made into the lower half of the case. Anyway, long story short, the seal is probably getting worn out inside there, Larry and should be replaced. Especially with those miles. The breather itself is likely still good, but like I said, slightly different replacement part compared to the original. Cost for breather, seal, and clutch cover gasket was about 95 bucks.

Always remember to be yourself. Unless you suck. Then pretend to be someone else.
roadworthy #589985 09/27/2017 5:39 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
get a longer hose a couple zip ties and an elbow & you have a free chain luber.

we should do this every weekend!
Yota #589986 09/27/2017 5:57 PM
Fe Butt
Online Content
Fe Butt
The breather tube on my antiques runs out to the end of the rear fender,well later models anyway. The older ones it goes on the chain.

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!

Link Copied to Clipboard