Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Intermittent spark issue
#585808 04/05/2017 9:49 AM
Saddle Sore
OP Offline
Saddle Sore
I thought I would do a write up on my recent experience with spark issues.
2003, the bike became a bit cold natured but once started ran like a champ. I cleaned the carbs, replaced plugs still the problem persisted until the bike would no longer start. That's when I found it had an intermittent spark on both cylinders.

I tested the pick up coil and it was within spec. I bypassed the crappy pick up coil electrical connector under the seat. I'm still amazed at how small the wiring is running to the pick up. Check all grounds etc. battery is good, hold a charge and the charging system is good. You could see the plugs when turning the bike over had spark only about every 7-8 revolutions. When I could see the spark the bike would try to fire. At this point I'm suspecting the CDI, however the CDI is a TTP Firestarter that's about a year old, but stuff happens. So I break out an old OEM that had acted up some years ago and I keep it only as an emergency as I know it's only good for a few miles before it craps out. Plug her in and the bike starts, hmmm. Plug in the TTP unit nothing, back to the OEM and the bike fires up.

Contacted TTP and they send me a replacement. Two weeks later it arrives and I again have the same issue. WTH right !. I decided to replace the Ignition coils and plug wires as they were getting old with lots of miles on them. In the meantime, I check every connector, ground, kill switch , side stand switch, fuses and fuse box, CDI connector etc. There's no corrosion or rust on anything.

New coils and wires arrive I throw them in, same problem. I'm scratching my head at this point. Only one item I have not checked. The Ignition switch. So I pull the switch, dissemble and it looks fine but with some slight wear on the contacts. So I replaced the switch with a used one from my parts bin I had purchased some years ago from a wreck. While reinstalling I found one wire in the harness that goes to this switch with a small necked spot, maybe a CM. No corrosion and I'm really not sure why it was bare. I made a nice splice and shrink tubed it. Installed the switch, reinstalled the TTp Firestarter and the bike is now running like a boss. Easy start up, smooth idle and very smooth and peppy on the highway.

I suspect it was the ignition switch and not the bare wire. Remember I stated in the beginning if you could get the bike started it ran fine, no miss etc. So I suspect the contacts in the old ignition switch were worn just enough to be finicky. Intermittent problems are a bitchh and sometimes you're not sure if you've solved the problem or if it will raise it's head again. right now she is smooth

It's not speeding till you get pulled over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqa1s4jhkQ8
Re: Intermittent spark issue
mikemm03 #585809 04/12/2017 8:45 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Glad to hear your back on the road.That was a fine report.

Moderated by  bennybmn, chy, mert 

Link Copied to Clipboard