Next Thread
Print Thread
T120
#582615 11/20/2016 1:33 PM
newt Offline OP
Loquacious
OP Offline
Loquacious
Just read an article in CW (Dec 16) by Peter Eagan about his purchase a this new bike. From reading this it sounds like Triumph has hit it outa the park with this new version . It looks beautiful in the pics and some of the changes are very smart and looks are sweet!!

ENJOY!!!!! NEWT!!!!!
Re: T120
newt #582616 11/20/2016 2:51 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
I just finished the article myself. I wish I had another spot for toys in the garage. She's a beaut, for sure.

2004 Triumph Speedmaster (J Lo) 2006 Yamaha Stratoliner (Adele)
pipedr #582617 11/22/2016 11:54 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
The 2016 T120 is a very good bike. All it really needs is a 39T rear sprocket (37T is stock), & maybe a fly screen.

B02S4 #582618 11/23/2016 6:14 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Swapped bikes halfway through the recent Hansen Dam Brit Bike gathering and ride(although all really cool and rare examples of marques regardless of national origin are welcome) in SoCal. My buddy Phil took my BA and I took his new T120, and yeah, I came away VERY impressed with these new water-cooled babies!

Below, a shot of his new T120 alongside his '69 T120 sitting on his driveway.

The thing handles tight and tracks as if anywhere you point it, it immediately responds, and not nearly as "ponderous" as these raked-out BAs and Speedies of ours.

The roll-on power is what I'd always hoped for from my BA, also. That extra 400 or so cc's of displacement really makes a difference.

The near none-existent sound coming from the upper-end of its engine was nice, also. Pretty much the only sounds coming from the internal combustion taking place within it seem to emanate via the ends of each muffler, and its a pleasant not too quiet and not too loud note.

And I feel there was no way Triumph could've have done a better job of updating and modernizing the look of a late-'60s Bonnie than how they did, to boot.

(...now, I don't get Cycle World mag anymore, and one of the reasons was that that exceptional motojournalist Peter Egan no longer has a monthly column in it anymore, but I think I might have to go to my local supermarket's magazine aisle and get me a copy of this issue, and just to see how much better he can scribe a review of this new Bonnie than I have here...and I'm sure he did)

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
Dwight #582619 11/23/2016 7:54 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
I'd buy one if my knees would handle the "normal" seating position

Dinosaur.

"Oh Man I only ride 'em.I don't know what makes 'em work". Donald "Oddball" Sutherland

"Don't let the bastards get you down". Kris Kristofferson

"I am only paranoid because everyone is against me". Larry [Frank Burns] Linville
Dwight #582620 11/23/2016 10:53 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

Swapped bikes halfway through the recent Hansen Dam Brit Bike gathering and ride(although all really cool and rare examples of marques regardless of national origin are welcome) in SoCal. My buddy Phil took my BA and I took his new T120, and yeah, I came away VERY impressed with these new water-cooled babies!

Below, a shot of his new T120 alongside his '69 T120 sitting on his driveway.

The thing handles tight and tracks as if anywhere you point it, it immediately responds, and not newly as "ponderous" as these raked-out BAs and Speedies of ours.

The roll-on power is what I'd always hoped for from my BA, also. That extra 400 or so cc's of displacement really makes a difference.

The near none-existent sound coming from the upper-end of its engine was nice, also. Pretty much the only sounds coming from the internal combustion taking place within it seem to emanate via the ends of each muffler, and its a pleasant not too quiet and not too loud note.

And I feel there was no way Triumph could've have done a better job of updating and modernizing the look of a late-'60s Bonnie than how they did, to boot.

(...now, I don't get Cycle World mag anymore, and one of the reasons was that that exceptional motojournalist Peter Egan no longer has a monthly column in it anymore, but I think I might have to go to my local supermarket's magazine aisle and get me a copy of this issue, and just to see how much better he can scribe a review of this new Bonnie than I have here...and I'm sure he did)

Unlike yourself, I have no experience riding the T120 so I can't claim to have an informed opinion, but the image of ths model in my head is that of a slightly bloated Bonnie nowhere near as nimble as the previous model.
I had also seen a couple of youtube tests where the riders claim the bike doesn't really like being ridden too fast or being shunted around. It also seems to vibrate a bit over 5000 rpms.
All in all, that and its departure from what was British tradition with a 360 degree firing sequence (now 270) and air-cooled (now liquid) it became less appealing in my mind.
Last week I was speculating on here about the reintroduction of the iconic Speed Twin since they had already introduced the Street Twin monicker. It seemed a logical development.
It now seems the Speed Twin is becoming a reality.
See my Speed Twin thread in this section for article and spy shots.
This would explain the 'tameness' (as I perceived it) of the Bonnie T120.

Bedouin. Blessed are those eyes that have seen more roads than any man! (Homer).
Bedouin #582621 11/24/2016 1:38 AM
3/4 Throttle
3/4 Throttle
I love this picture. I think it does a great job of representing the past and the present and the respect for tradition that Triumph has tried to honor.

Last edited by BillyIndiana; 11/24/2016 1:39 AM.

Road Rash Heals. Freckles Grow Back. Ride
Bedouin #582622 11/24/2016 4:17 AM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

Unlike yourself, I have no experience riding the T120 so I can't claim to have an informed opinion, but the image of ths model in my head is that of a slightly bloated Bonnie nowhere near as nimble as the previous model.
I had also seen a couple of youtube tests where the riders claim the bike doesn't really like being ridden too fast or being shunted around. It also seems to vibrate a bit over 5000 rpms.
All in all, that and its departure from what was British tradition with a 360 degree firing sequence (now 270) and air-cooled (now liquid) it became less appealing in my mind.
Last week I was speculating on here about the reintroduction of the iconic Speed Twin since they had already introduced the Street Twin monicker. It seemed a logical development.
It now seems the Speed Twin is becoming a reality.
See my Speed Twin thread in this section for article and spy shots.
This would explain the 'tameness' (as I perceived it) of the Bonnie T120.

With a displacement almost half again as large as the previous generation Bonnies, I can see how at first blush and from that picture of Phil's '69 T120 sitting next to his new 2016 T120, you might think the newest model as "bloated", Thanassis.

However, I can reassure you that once astride the newest model, I didn't feel any such sensation. It's seems the perfect size, weight and balance of a machine meant to transit the modern motorways we have today in all parts of the world.

I also never encountered any undue vibration of which you spoke, as pulling through the rev-range seems fairly smooth from idle all the way to near redline on the tach.

And yes, the 270 crank is a departure from Britbike tradition, but then again so are the bikes we here at BA.com have come to love over these many years.

And speaking of the new T100 Speed Twin...a young lady rode into the Hansen Dam gathering on one, and yes, it's a fine looking bike too and seemed a slightly more svelte machine. However, once again its displacement and the power it produces would be noticeably less than the new big Bonnie, or at least I would think so.

(...btw, if you ever make it stateside, I'd love to be able to take you to that Hansen Dam gathering the first Sunday in November each year and to see my buddy Phil's beautiful collection of classic motorcycles...I think you'd really enjoy it...and it's the least I could do to repay you for your kind generosity you showed to me and Judie some years back)

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
BillyIndiana #582623 11/24/2016 4:27 AM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

I love this picture. I think it does a great job of representing the past and the present and the respect for tradition that Triumph has tried to honor.

Yep. Well said, Bill.

Dwight #582624 11/25/2016 7:32 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Dwight,

You speak of a T100 (young lady etc.).
I am speaking of a new 1200 Speed Twin (still under wraps) and not a STREET Twin or a T100 Bonnie.
Check out my thread in this section.
Methinks the power in the new Reincarnation of the SPEED Twin will be tuned to outperform the T120 Bonnie.

Bedouin. Blessed are those eyes that have seen more roads than any man! (Homer).
Bedouin #582625 11/25/2016 8:59 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

Dwight,

You speak of a T100 (young lady etc.).
I am speaking of a new 1200 Speed Twin (still under wraps) and not a STREET Twin or a T100 Bonnie.
Check out my thread in this section.
Methinks the power in the new Reincarnation of the SPEED Twin will be tuned to outperform the T120 Bonnie.

OH, now I see.(just returned from your other thread here)

Yep, the young lady rode into the rally on a new water-cooled T100 STREET Twin, yeah.

This new yet to come SPEED Twin seems to be a Thruxton in more standard riding position guise, doesn't it. And yeah, because the Thruxton is in a slightly higher state of tune than the new T120 Bonnies, then yeah, it should be a little quicker than the newer T120s, huh.

Bedouin #582626 11/25/2016 10:53 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

...the image of this model in my head is that of a slightly bloated Bonnie nowhere near as nimble as the previous model...

You may be pleased to know that in my experience the T120's handling is superior to the predecessor. I also thought it handled better than the Street Twin.

The T120 isn't perfect, however it is very, very good.

Bedouin #582627 11/25/2016 11:46 PM
Worn Saddle
Worn Saddle
I really like the looks and idea of the new T120. And looking at the picture of both models made me think of my exact same 69 that your friend has. I restored it from a barn find and rode it for many miles and years. I sold it to finance my America and I have to say, I never missed the 69 after looking at and riding the America. And therin lies the problem. While I love the idea of the 1200 motor in a bike like I used to have, I have really been groovin to the cruiser type bike instead. Hence, my purchase of the Indian a couple of years ago. BUT, I still like the idea of that 1200 motor. If'n Triumph would stick that puppy in the America frame to create a "bigger" cruiser, it would sure be in the running for my "retirement bike" in a few years. If not, I'd still consider the stock T120 to fit the bill. (As an aside, while I love my new Indian, I'm realistic enough to understand that in a few more years I might not want to hold up that "big blue monster".)

Fidelis et Fortis
arstaren #582628 11/25/2016 11:58 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

I really like the looks and idea of the new T120. And looking at the picture of both models made me think of my exact same 69 that your friend has. I restored it from a barn find and rode it for many miles and years. I sold it to finance my America and I have to say, I never missed the 69 after looking at and riding the America. And therin lies the problem. While I love the idea of the 1200 motor in a bike like I used to have, I have really been groovin to the cruiser type bike instead. Hence, my purchase of the Indian a couple of years ago. BUT, I still like the idea of that 1200 motor. If'n Triumph would stick that puppy in the America frame to create a "bigger" cruiser, it would sure be in the running for my "retirement bike" in a few years. If not, I'd still consider the stock T120 to fit the bill. (As an aside, while I love my new Indian, I'm realistic enough to understand that in a few more years I might not want to hold up that "big blue monster".)

I certainly agree about a Triumph cruiser with a 1,200cc engine.It would almost certainly be "the last" purchase bike for me.I like the T120 a lot but not with my knees.

Dinosaur.

"Oh Man I only ride 'em.I don't know what makes 'em work". Donald "Oddball" Sutherland

"Don't let the bastards get you down". Kris Kristofferson

"I am only paranoid because everyone is against me". Larry [Frank Burns] Linville

Moderated by  bennybmn, chy, mert 

Link Copied to Clipboard