Next Thread
Print Thread
Prices plummeting?
#552549 08/20/2014 11:26 AM
Bluehot Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Ok, I'll post something that's been on my mind.

What is with people selling their bikes less than Bluebook?

I thought of selling my Speedy recently but saw several give-a-way ads on Craigslist posted. No way I'm giving my cherry unmolested bike away for chump change. I'm not one of those old guys that wants a crazy price that it will never sell at, but what is with people giving them away?

Ridin' and playin' 'til I can't.
Re: Prices plummeting?
Bluehot #552550 08/20/2014 12:43 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
In the Seattle area, the CL postings are hovering around blue book (KBB). They are a value at that price IMO, so I wonder why someone would sell them under KBB. However, since the market for Americas/Speedmasters is much smaller than HD's, I guess if you want to sell it quick you need to price accordingly.

2013 Speedmaster Matte Black
TriumphLance #552551 08/20/2014 1:25 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
the problem is "well thats the problem" people listing it for less, list it for what the bike is reasonably worth which is always greater than and it will take care of it's self. If everyone did it than it would simply become the market value of the bikes. Anyone can buy a used harley these days, heck there are tons of them out there, not that many triumphs though.

2007 Speedmaster and miss it! 2013 T-Bird Storm and Luvin it! Catching a yellow jacket in your shirt at 70 mph can double your vocabulary
edmspeedmaster #552552 08/20/2014 2:32 PM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
It is pretty simple. People list the bike for what they can get for the bike. Very few people will sell a 5k bike for 4k if they could get 5.

It was touched on above. Maybe 1% of the public wants it. Also, remember they can buy a brand new one for well less than 10 grand with a warranty. The average American has less than two months bills in the bank. If they have to borrow 4 or 5 grand anyway why not pay just a little more a month on a new one. NADA is the price the dealers get. KBB average is the price most get. Any accessories are pretty much free so should be removed prior to sale.

I try to aggravate one person a day. Today may be your day.
satxron #552553 08/20/2014 3:03 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Quote:

It is pretty simple. People list the bike for what they can get for the bike. Very few people will sell a 5k bike for 4k if they could get 5.

It was touched on above. Maybe 1% of the public wants it. Also, remember they can buy a brand new one for well less than 10 grand with a warranty. The average American has less than two months bills in the bank. If they have to borrow 4 or 5 grand anyway why not pay just a little more a month on a new one. NADA is the price the dealers get. KBB average is the price most get. Any accessories are pretty much free so should be removed prior to sale.

I agree to some extent, but by the time you buy one of our bikes new, add PDI, tax and all the other crap you get hit with they still come out worth a few bucks for this size a bike and given the competition in this market segment really are not all that cheap. God forbid you want the dealer to add anything to the bike and you are going to be into it for the large (all things equal) You could argu that HD held their value for years only becasue the people selling them would not part with them for just anything, they wanted some money for their HD. It was after all an HD! Triumph people just don't seem to have that same vootspa about their bikes and blow them out, someone searches to compare when trying to sell one, see others selling them off cheap and has no choice. Shame shame.

2007 Speedmaster and miss it! 2013 T-Bird Storm and Luvin it! Catching a yellow jacket in your shirt at 70 mph can double your vocabulary
edmspeedmaster #552554 08/20/2014 3:23 PM
New Tires
New Tires
I was told that most HD riders trade in their bikes. Of course there are many facts for an owner "dumping" a bike.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. H. L. Mencken

Link Copied to Clipboard