Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Indian picture and Review
#549527 06/30/2014 9:41 PM
Worn Saddle
OP Offline
Worn Saddle
[image][/image]Ok, finally got it on here. Picture of my stable now. My one week review of my new Indian Vintage. First, let me say that this is one fine cycle, as has been stated many times on here. I'm just critiquing the details. Formost, the sucker is HEAVY! I know that I just went from the America to this machine but I had a hard time early on getting used to the weight. Now, if I had a 40 pound counter weight in my a$$, instead of the smaller 5 pound counter weight up front, I wouldn't have such a hard time moving it around. I like to think that I am fairly strong for my size, working in the trades and such, but I'm learning to be very careful about where I park this monster. My second day, I pulled into a fast food joint for a quick bite, and pulled into a stall. Trouble is, the parking lot was layed out with a small downhill incline where the parking spaces were. Pulled up to the curb like I'd been doing for years, hopped off the bike and went in to eat. After coming back, I had to roll this thing slightly UPHILL to get out of the parking. WHOA! Bought busted a gut! 2.) The kickstand is poorly spring loaded. When you stand er up, it flops around like a dead carp. Put it down, and there no spring tension to keep it out. If you park this thing downhill on the stand, chances are it's gonna roll right off the sidestand. And there is no center stand, of course.3.) I'm not a big fan of the way the guage console is designed. The face is fairly small, and the led readouts are hard to make out. (I wear reading glasses, but my distance sight is good.) I looked at some other cruisers and the Kawasaki Vulcan has a much bigger and clearer needle and guage setup. I love the gas guage, but the low fuel light is incredibally small, and I nearly ran out of gas cause I didn't notice it at all. And is seems like the led numbers could have been much larger, there's plenty of room on the face. All in all, the guages are readable, but barely. 4.) It would have been a no brainer to offer the two tone color pallete, such as creme and red, creme and blue, etc. One dealer is already offering custom paint jobs on these bikes. No brainer. I can guarantee you that I'll be stripping the tins next year for some two tone paint.5.) I dig the brown leather and fringe combo, one reason I bought it. Old school look, and all. But after I bought it, the salesman told me to expect a "special" letter from Indian about the brown leather. It seems there have been MANY complaints about the color fading. So Indian is going to send every owner a special leather care kit, in ADDITION to the kit already supplied with the bike. The mechanic in back showed me a Vintage demo that was about 4 months old, and the leather was CLEARLY faded. He made a comment about how he liked the look, gave it "character". But I don't think everybody would agree with him. And there are complaints over at the Indian forum that they leak water into them in the rain. I overheard a salesman commenting on the same thing to a customer. Seriously? $1500 bags and they leak? I look for another "special" letter from Indian about this. Having said all this, the vast majority of the bike "exudes" quality. I don't expect any problems with the chrome. The fit and finish is spot on! But of course, the most fun is the MOTOR! I feel kind of stupid saying this, but power is a lot of fun! (I've always said that nothing bigger than an America is ever needed. We're just horsepower nuts. But, it sure if fun!)There has been some discussion about the "hard" shifting, but I haven't experienced any of that. Shifts like a big bike, and is getting better every day I ride it. Just like my America, but worse, I get comments and conversation from strangers every time I fill up, and at lots of stoplights, and any stop at all! Another reason I bought the bike is the fantastic 5 YEAR WARRANTY! Hopefully, no worries for a looooooong time! By the way, this warranty is being discontinued after July 20. After that, the factory is going to either a one year warranty, or possibly longer, according to the salesman. While the dealer gave me limited "deal breaker" incentives, the company gave me $250 in free clothes. Evidently, the plainer "Classics" are not moving well. Indian is offering $1000 in free accesories if you buy one of those models. Hope this isn't too long. Just stoked about this machine and I know some of you are interested.

Fidelis et Fortis
Re: Indian picture and Review
arstaren #549528 06/30/2014 9:48 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I went to a demo day this past weekend and rode all 3 models. I sure like the Chieftain. It handled great and didn't shake me all to pieces at stop lights. The radio was good and the cruise control was awesome. There is so much to like about this bike.

Congrats on your new ride.

arstaren #549529 06/30/2014 9:48 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Very nice looking Indian there. As a matter of fact, all your bikes are lookers!!! Enjoy!

2013 Speedmaster Matte Black
TriumphLance #549530 06/30/2014 11:57 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Good looking bike Rich!

06 America 904
tdragger #549531 07/01/2014 12:21 AM
Worn Saddle
OP Offline
Worn Saddle
Quote:

I went to a demo day this past weekend and rode all 3 models. I sure like the Chieftain. It handled great and didn't shake me all to pieces at stop lights. The radio was good and the cruise control was awesome. There is so much to like about this bike.

Congrats on your new ride.

Funny, I have no use for the cruise control at all, although it does work, cause I just checked it out today. Each to their own flavor, though...

Fidelis et Fortis
arstaren #549532 07/01/2014 5:29 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Nice write-up Rich!

As far as the weight, after riding the Vision, the Indian feels like a Speedmaster to me. I think it has something to do with the low center of gravity on the Indian. But by all means, don't park it "downhill".

One of the first things I noticed about the saddlebags is that the lid seems to leave a gap that would let in rain. There are some guys with serious miles on these already that swear they don't leak rain. But if I wash the Indian with the bags on, some water does get in, albeit only a small amount.

Ride safe. Look forward to seeing you at an Indian event in the future.

Kevin - Luceo Non Uro
Speedmaster05 #549533 07/01/2014 7:00 AM
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
That's a good looking bike you got there Rich! All of them

Always remember to be yourself. Unless you suck. Then pretend to be someone else.
roadworthy #549534 07/01/2014 8:30 AM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Looks really sweet Rich. Enjoy!

Cheers, Richard
~~~~~~~~~~~~
09 America, Staintune Pipes, K&N, Breathe, Hagon Nitros, AI & O2 removed, tune 20184 (modified), MTX-L a/f gauge
foglefar #549535 07/01/2014 12:25 PM
Saddle Sore
Saddle Sore
That's a beauty Rich, congrats and enjoy rolling up the miles and smiles.

It's not speeding till you get pulled over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqa1s4jhkQ8
mikemm03 #549536 07/01/2014 2:04 PM
Stickman Yogi
Stickman Yogi
Great looking bike(s), Rich!

Live to love, love to live.
Keith #549537 07/01/2014 8:50 PM
3/4 Throttle
3/4 Throttle
Sweet ride Rich!!

Donny #549538 07/01/2014 10:28 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Nice looking stable there, Rich. Good luck with the Indian.

Chris '03 Speedy.
DunnSpeed #549539 07/01/2014 11:14 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Nice pic and write-up here, Rich.

And I know what you mean about the kickstand. I also noticed the rather vague "I wonder if that sucker was fully deployed or not" feeling of it too when I took those demo rides a while back on these fantastic new Indians.

In THIS case I can only think they must've copied the way Harley does their kickstands, 'cause I always got that same feeling about those not having a more positive and definite stop whenever I kicked 'em down on most H-Ds I've ever ridden or sat on.

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
Dwight #549540 07/01/2014 11:20 PM
Worn Saddle
OP Offline
Worn Saddle
Hope I didn't sound TOO critical of the bike. Just fine tuning in my head. The thing that would be the top of my list to change would be the tiny little lights and numbers that are supposed to tell you things. Looks like wee lil ants on the screen and I have to put my reading glasses on to vaguely tell what they are. On the other hand, I tell myself that I rode bikes for many years that never even had a functioning SPEEDOMETER, let alone any kind of other indicators!

Fidelis et Fortis
arstaren #549541 07/01/2014 11:38 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

Hope I didn't sound TOO critical of the bike.

No, not at all, Rich. Nope, you didn't sound like you were..ahem.."bashing" it at ALL, dude.

Nope, those minor little things you pointed out were the same things I noticed on my otherwise very impressive demo rides a while back on these babies!

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
arstaren #549542 07/02/2014 7:10 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

Hope I didn't sound TOO critical of the bike. Just fine tuning in my head. The thing that would be the top of my list to change would be the tiny little lights and numbers that are supposed to tell you things. Looks like wee lil ants on the screen and I have to put my reading glasses on to vaguely tell what they are. On the other hand, I tell myself that I rode bikes for many years that never even had a functioning SPEEDOMETER, let alone any kind of other indicators!

Yeah, don't get bogged down in the technology of the thing. I usually have it on the RPM (tach) readout. I'd prefer to have an analog tach at eye level. I'm guessing the future Indians will have improved instrumentation. It's a small price to pay to be an early adopter and first year owner.

Kevin - Luceo Non Uro

Moderated by  bennybmn, chy, mert 

Link Copied to Clipboard