Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Advice needed on accident
#523646 07/09/2013 11:34 PM
Greenhorn
OP Offline
Greenhorn
At the moment I'm extremely upset and aggravated at the scenario that I'm in. So I was involved in an accident on my 2002 BA. A woman turned left in front of me at an intersection and I could not stop fast enough. I had just gotten the bike exactly how I wanted it with all the modifications just the way I like. Gunfighter seat, sta-in-tune pipes, chromed out, signals relocated. The bike was immaculate with only 4000 miles on it, black in color with the silver two-tone which I had a hell of a time finding when I bought it. By the look of the bike, you would think the damage is isolated to just the front end and everything from the handle bars back(tank, pipes, everything cosmetic) is in great shape. And the engine runs fine.

I just got an estimate today for $9700($6000 in parts) worth of damage to basically replace the entire front end and the shop is telling me the frame is slightly tweaked. To me, by naked eye it looks good. Front fender apparently is not made anymore also and that has to be replaced. Now I know that the KBB value and the total they're gonna try to give me is not even going to come close to replacing what the bike is worth and to be honest, I don't really want another bike. I'd like to take the total minus the buy back value but I'm worried I won't even come close to having enough to fix the bike after that and it'll just sit and I won't have anything to ride anytime soon as it took me quite a while to save enough to buy this one.

Anyone have any good advice or gone through a similar situation?

Last edited by OhMercyMe; 07/09/2013 11:41 PM.

"Greetings from the Windy City..."
Re: Advice needed on accident
OhMercyMe #523647 07/09/2013 11:50 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I notice you are not mentioning any injuries to yourself. That's the best part, as far as advise I have no experience, so I can offer none.

"Got the wind in my face the road goes on for miles...."
Gurdy #523648 07/09/2013 11:56 PM
Greenhorn
OP Offline
Greenhorn
Broken arm, concussion symptoms. I absolutely do feel very lucky to have just those injuries and that is definitely the best part. Just dealing with the next big problem now; getting back on the rode on an awesome piece of machinery. Thanks for the reply!

OhMercyMe #523649 07/10/2013 12:26 AM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
Quote:

Broken arm, concussion symptoms. I absolutely do feel very lucky to have just those injuries and that is definitely the best part. Just dealing with the next big problem now; getting back on the rode on an awesome piece of machinery. Thanks for the reply!

HA, you remind me of me last year when my bike went down. As it happened I was much more concerned with the bike than myself.

Just make sure the insurance company doesn't take the bike and give you a couple grand.

We all like to think of ourselves as rugged individualists. But when push comes to shove most of us are sheep who do what we are told. Worst of all, a lot of us become unpaid agents of whoever is controlling the agenda by enforcing the current dogma on the few rugged individualists who actually exist.
ladisney #523650 07/10/2013 12:44 AM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
You will get what the total is worth (did you get the bling ins?), where you need to fight is for injurys, + pain and suffering. My yamaha was totaled, and they gave me a good price for it, I got 9500 pain and suffering for a swolen knee and some road rash, they also have to replace your helmet, which I hope you were wearing. I sent them a quote for a 400.00 helmet. that is where your new bike is coming from. (I paid off 2 cars though and financed a new bike) its teh personal injury and pain and suffering. If your getting screwed around, call a good lawyer who knows bikes claims. Sounds like you may need to lawyer up.

Last edited by beamer; 07/10/2013 12:45 AM.

Mal: "Y'all see the man hanging out of the spaceship with the really big gun?{ref, Jayne} Man's lookin' to kill some folk. So really, it's his will y'all should worry about thwarting."
beamer #523651 07/10/2013 7:04 AM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
I had a similar situation with a bike that was hit while parked the woman's ins company tried to cut me a check for short cash. I told them that the bike had been sold and that I'd already taken a deposit on it to help fund my new bike. they hemmed and hawwed but ended up covering my damages which was the lost value of the asset which had been established by the contract with my friend who had already agreed to purchase my bike. I was able to keep the bike. This was years ago in Massachusetts.Good luck and I'm glad you're here to post about it.

Strangler
chopperpaul #523652 07/10/2013 9:29 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
You may want to consult with an attorney.
Best wishes.

Kevin - Luceo Non Uro
Speedmaster05 #523653 07/10/2013 10:24 AM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
If the frame is damaged I would take all the extras off for the replacement. (Well I wouldn't, I would buy it back from the ins. co. and chop it but that's me) But I wouldn't want to ride a bike with a bent frame. Then, as stated above, go for the injuries and pain and suffering to cover the difference of a new machine. If you are set at keeping that bike start looking at places like Pinwall for good used parts and the replacement money should cover the parts. If the front end is badly damaged be sure to look very close at the front engine mount for damage to the engine case where it mounts.

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
OhMercyMe #523654 07/10/2013 10:46 AM
Saddle Sore
Saddle Sore
Michael, I'm glad you're still here to tell the story. Life can suck sometimes no doubt about. We work hard to get the things in life we want, then someone you've never met destroys what you've worked for!!!
Chin up and good luck with your recovery and whatever decisions you make.

It's not speeding till you get pulled over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqa1s4jhkQ8
mikemm03 #523655 07/16/2013 8:40 PM
Greenhorn
OP Offline
Greenhorn
Thanks for all the responses and advice! I actually ended up getting my bike back from the insurance company. I took the total minus the buy back amount. I had enough to buy my exact same bike from a great guy in Indiana who gave me a good deal. Thanks again!

Link Copied to Clipboard