Next Thread
Print Thread
4 Days Up North
#521974 06/19/2013 7:21 PM
Cloudy Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Been away for a quick 4 days on the road. Typical good timing, last week was fine but when I go it was mostly wet roads with some VERY heavy rain.Left home on Sunday heading North on State Highway 1. Turned off at Te Kauwhata across to Highway 2 then right until Miranda road.Then on up to The Bombays.
From there was straight up 1 to The Puhoi Pub for a compulsory stop.

Then on to Whangarei (wet all the way).
Stayed the night in a backpackers with gear all over trying to dry it out.

The next day was actually fine bar one big down pour.
Headed off towards Kawakawa then turned towards Paihia.

From there was on to Haruru Falls and out to Highway 10.
Just before Orotere turned off and followed the scenic route around. 40k's of twisty s and amazing scenery.

Back to the main road and on to Manganui for lunch.

Next it was on to Awanui then on up to Cape Reinga, except I didn't make it. At Waitiki landing where there is the last fuel stop, turned out to be closed so had to turn around and limp back to Awanui for fuel.By then I'd had enough and stopped for the night at Kaitaia.
Next day I headed South and went out to Rangiora then onto Panguru at which point I turned around and doubled back gas again being an issue. I didn't use the car ferry but chose to go around the long way through Kaikohe and onto Opononi for lunch.

From here on it got pretty wet and was finding taking gloves off for pics a real pain, so no more pictures of this trip I,m afraid.
I headed down through the Waipoua Forest to Dargaville then on towards Whangarei but turned North again at Tangowahine and went up through Twin bridges to Kaikohe again then on down to Whangarei for the night.
The next morning was heading South towards Home with a detour out to Waipu cove then back onto Highway 1 and home.
Covered a distance of 1560km at an average of 16km/liter (approx 36 miles/gallon for you in the US).

Even though it was wet mostly, I had a ball. This Speedmaster is just sooo comfortable, even out did my previous Trike in that regard.

05 Speedmaster,Reverse Cone Shortys,Thunderbike AIR Kit,K&N Air Filter,Snorkel Removed,Dynojet Stage 1 Kit(126 main),Needle-Clip 1 From Bottom,42 Pilot,NGK Iridium Plugs,Progressive Springs,Hagon 2810's,Barnett Green Springs,TTP Safe-Start,MOSFET R/R
Re: 4 Days Up North
Cloudy #521975 06/19/2013 9:10 PM
Worn Saddle
Worn Saddle
I guess, barring the lottery, I'll never have a chance to ride that country. Thanks for the pictures!

Fidelis et Fortis
arstaren #521976 06/19/2013 9:48 PM
Cloudy Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Sorry there's not more pic's. I have this tendency that when its fine I don't want to keep stopping to take pictures and when its wet its just too much of a pain to get my glove's back on.

05 Speedmaster,Reverse Cone Shortys,Thunderbike AIR Kit,K&N Air Filter,Snorkel Removed,Dynojet Stage 1 Kit(126 main),Needle-Clip 1 From Bottom,42 Pilot,NGK Iridium Plugs,Progressive Springs,Hagon 2810's,Barnett Green Springs,TTP Safe-Start,MOSFET R/R
Cloudy #521977 06/19/2013 10:06 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
It looks like a great time even with the rain. Beautiful country. Thanks for the pics.

~Brent ----- "Nothing you can be is more terrible than what I am." ~ 2007 Black Speedmaster!!
Cloudy #521978 06/20/2013 5:31 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Really nice there, Stephen!

If it weren't for the names of the places, I'd think those pictures and locations were in the US of A.

I think it's real foreword thinking on the Puhoi Hotel's part to include stables. A GREAT retreat for the women to get together, away from the men.

And you may see me tonight With an illegal smile J. Prine
Cloudy #521979 06/20/2013 7:46 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Those photos bought back some memories Stephen! Was born in the Rawene hospital and lived in Opononi before moving to Dargaville at age 5 or so. Had quite a few pints in the Puhoi pub over the years en route to weddings etc. The weather does not appear to have changed for this time of the year!!!!

Moderated by  chy, mert, moe 

Link Copied to Clipboard