Next Thread
Print Thread
start this saturday!!!!!!!!!!
#511776 01/30/2013 4:07 PM
Freelance Jedi Knight
OP Offline
Freelance Jedi Knight
there will be something to watch on TV

Last edited by Grzegorz; 01/30/2013 6:09 PM.

Grzegorz ......55 cubic inches http://www.flickr.com/photos/25172906@N06/ 904WisecoTPUSAcamsTTPignitorgutted Airbox"breath"airIntakeKeihinCR-ScarbsBlackEpcoExhaustS/SwheelsPortedPolishedHead
Re: starts this saturday!!!!!!!!!!
Grzegorz #511777 01/30/2013 4:14 PM
New Tires
New Tires
Great ad for rugby.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. H. L. Mencken
Re: starts this saturday!!!!!!!!!!
Grzegorz #511778 01/30/2013 5:27 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct

I'd rather ride it than clean it!!!!
Re: start this saturday!!!!!!!!!!
Grzegorz #511779 01/30/2013 7:42 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious

Love it, so I stole it

Too old to die young, too ugly to leave a good looking corpse
brindle #511780 01/30/2013 9:32 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Quote:

Love it, so I stole it

yea that

Celt #511781 01/30/2013 11:19 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Notice it doesn't say "not gay".

slvrsprint #511782 01/31/2013 8:25 AM
Second Wind
Second Wind
Quote:

Notice it doesn't say "not gay".

They couldnt say that because the shorts they wear. Those shorts are pretty gay.

I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. Edgar Allan Poe
Grzegorz #511783 01/31/2013 1:21 PM
Old Hand
Old Hand
2/2/13 9AM - 11AM Mountain time. Set your VCR now!

At last something besides that big mouth cook telling everyone they are stupid and finding rubbish in the 'fridge!

Let's hope there's intelligent life somewhere in space 'cause it's buggar all down here. -- Monte Python
Greybeard #511784 01/31/2013 10:33 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Quote:

2/2/13 9AM - 11AM Mountain time. Set your VCR now!

At last something besides that big mouth cook telling everyone they are stupid and finding rubbish in the 'fridge!

VCR??

Smokey3214 #511785 01/31/2013 10:39 PM
Saddle Sore
Saddle Sore
Quote:

VCR??

the big black thing that keeps flashing 12:00

2005 Model . Two Fast Eddy stickers , a bell and a clock . She's Lola . She tinkles and keeps time . http://s649.photobucket.com/albums/uu211/britbike05/
Smokey3214 #511786 01/31/2013 10:54 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Sent Poster to my brother in law he played rugby and helped start Ottawa site and fairly sure he doesn't care how gay those shorts look. I on the other hand played once got tackled and separated a rib. No, didn't buy the T-shirt.

SMJoe #511787 02/01/2013 8:01 AM
Second Wind
Second Wind
Rugby is far better than the NFL.

I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. Edgar Allan Poe
StandingBull #511788 02/01/2013 11:55 AM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
'Better' is relative. I see Olympic sprinters, etc., go on to the NFL. RG3 just missed the Olympics as a hurdler and he's a quarterback. I'm not sure about world class athletes playing rugby. Maybe there are but I haven't seen them.

I'll bet there isn't a guy playing rugby that wouldn't jump at a shot at an NFL contract and there's not a soul in the NFL with any interest in rugby. I also have never heard of a rugby player that was able to obtain one of those NFL contracts.

Different strokes for different folks.

Smokey3214 #511789 02/01/2013 12:34 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Yep, Chet. Well said.

I think this whole Rugby vs American Football thing and the idea that rugby players are somehow "tougher" might best be analogized with the following question based in the field of motorcycling:

Is, say, some Harley rider riding around in his little doo-rag adorned pirate outfit at barely the posted speed limits "tougher" than say Casey Stoner is while he's riding his motorcycle at near 200mph speeds around Laguna Seca Raceway and wearing full safety gear???

(...so all you rugby fans, chew on THAT question for a bit!!!)

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
Grzegorz #511790 02/01/2013 7:36 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

there will be something to watch on TV

Good one!

BUT Rugby League is the best game on the planet - Union is for puffs!

One day as a tiger is worth a thousand as a sheep
Smokey3214 #511791 02/01/2013 11:25 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

I'll bet there isn't a guy playing rugby that wouldn't jump at a shot at an NFL contract

I'd take that bet, because IMHO, the majority of rugby union players play it for the love of the sport, not for the money. Whilst they are quite well paid in comparison to the likes of me, they are well down on the list of top sports earners, despite the fact that they are more likely to end the game covered in blood.

Luckily this thread has developed into a Rugby v American Football debate, and I know Jack Pooh about American Football, and care even less. If it was about Rugby v Rest of the World football, then I know a little bit more, but despise RotW football (the players of that sport make your cheerleaders look hard)

So if you are going to base your argument on which is the better sport on contracts, then bare in mind that contracts means money, and while sport needs money, money is killing sport.
I suggest leaving contracts out of it. Which leaves only opinion, and as my opinion is the only one that counts, Rugby Union is the best sport.Ergo, I win

Quote:

and there's not a soul in the NFL with any interest in rugby.

See my remarks regarding money

BTW, it's Friday and I've been drinking , but that does not nullify my opinion (i.e. FACT )

BlueNose #511792 02/01/2013 11:34 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

Ivan, Bollards!

As I can't be bothered to look, can you tell me in which direction the greater number of players change disciplines?
Whether its league to union or visa versa, being as union has become professional now.

Apart from that, how are you? Long time no see

Dwight #511793 02/01/2013 11:49 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

Yep, Chet. Well said.

I think this whole Rugby vs American Football thing and the idea that rugby players are somehow "tougher" might best be analogized with the following question based in the field of motorcycling:

Is, say, some Harley rider riding around in his little doo-rag adorned pirate outfit at barely the posted speed limits "tougher" than say Casey Stoner is while he's riding his motorcycle at near 200mph speeds around Laguna Seca Raceway and wearing full safety gear???

Boiling your question down to toughness, let me ask you this, how many racing riders actually ride on the public highway, complete with potholes, oncoming traffic, roadside furniture, no safety car etc?
Now compare that with how many road riders do trackdays (percentage wise)
I admit I have never done a trackday, mainly because the rules are too strict and I haven't got all the safety gear, and there is a chance that my bike is too loud

Quote:

Didn't take much digestion

brindle #511794 02/02/2013 12:43 AM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

Boiling your question down to toughness, let me ask you this, how many racing riders actually ride on the public highway, complete with potholes, oncoming traffic, roadside furniture, no safety car etc?

Now Bryn, do you HONESTLY think that the top riders in the worlds such as the aforementioned Casey Stoner DON'T ride on the STREET??? And that those fellas couldn't out-ride ANYBODY, ANYWHERE???

And so, sorry, but YOUR analogy in reply to MY analogy is totally off-base, my friend.

BUT, gettin' off the whole "Motorcycle Analogy" thing here, and while admitedly I probably know as much about Rugby as you know about American Football, during the few games of rugby I've ever watched, from what I could tell, and while once again admitted there does seem to be more "constant action" going on in Rugby..well...from what I could tell in Rugby it's pretty much kick the ball back to the runner, he gets tackled or laterals it to somebody else on his team and then HE gets tackled, and so on, and so on, and so on!

BUT, whereas in AMERICAN Football there are a NUMBER of different plays that can be called upon to advance the football into the defense's territory, such as the aerial attack(known as the forward pass), and/or many many MANY different types of running plays in the Ground Attack. And thus making AMERICAN football not ONLY a game of hard hits and tackles but ALSO a THINKING MAN'S game TOO!!!

(...and now I rest MY case, you darn Limey!!!)

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
Dwight #511795 02/02/2013 6:49 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

Now Bryn, do you HONESTLY think that the top riders in the worlds such as the aforementioned Casey Stoner DON'T ride on the STREET??? And that those fellas couldn't out-ride ANYBODY, ANYWHERE???

I've sobered up now, but I honestly do think that a lot of the top class riders wont be ALLOWED to ride on the street by their sponsors (at least during the racing season), as it'll be a lot of their money smeared down to street by some half blind texting grandma. As for out-riding the likes of me and you, of course they could, but that's a different debate.
Can't remember who it was, but there was a world champion a few years back who made the papers because he was having lessons to get a bike licence

Quote:

BUT, whereas in AMERICAN Football there are a NUMBER of different plays that can be called upon to advance the football into the defense's territory, such as the aerial attack(known as the forward pass), and/or many many MANY different types of running plays in the Ground Attack. And thus making AMERICAN football not ONLY a game of hard hits and tackles but ALSO a THINKING MAN'S game TOO!!!

Forward passes and tackling off-the-ball are both fouls in Rugby, so you could say that players have to think more because of these rules, which nicely nullify's your argument there, I think

Quote:

..and now I rest MY case, you darn Limey!!

I prefer "Damn Limey". After all, "darn" is what's done to socks

brindle #511796 02/02/2013 7:22 AM
Freelance Jedi Knight
OP Offline
Freelance Jedi Knight
I prefer players playing hard 2x 40 minutes over some armoured puffs allowed to play few minutes between TV commercials

Grzegorz ......55 cubic inches http://www.flickr.com/photos/25172906@N06/ 904WisecoTPUSAcamsTTPignitorgutted Airbox"breath"airIntakeKeihinCR-ScarbsBlackEpcoExhaustS/SwheelsPortedPolishedHead
brindle #511797 02/02/2013 12:08 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Adrian Peterson. None of that is for looks. Six one, 217lbs. World class sprinter speed. Runs over defensive linemen.

Anyone gonna try and claim he couldn't walk on to any rugby team in the world?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfu96trsnrQ

brindle #511798 02/02/2013 3:28 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

Quote:

Ivan, Bollards!

As I can't be bothered to look, can you tell me in which direction the greater number of players change disciplines?
Whether its league to union or visa versa, being as union has become professional now.

Apart from that, how are you? Long time no see

Hey Bryn, all good - a ride out today has cured the cabin fever.

As for League v Union, England are now heavily influenced by League. Toughened them soft southern shandy drinkers up and you are reaping the rewards.

Hope to catch up with you sometime in the year mate.

One day as a tiger is worth a thousand as a sheep
Smokey3214 #511799 02/02/2013 7:30 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

Adrian Peterson. None of that is for looks. Six one, 217lbs. World class sprinter speed. Runs over defensive linemen.

Jonah Lomu 6'5", 276lb, fast runner, probably upto world class speeds but was often slowed down by opposition players hanging off him. Ran through opposition players. Could play for the whole 80+ minutes.

Bet any NFL manager would have sold his soul to be able to field him

It could just be rumour and I could be wrong, but I believe he did turn down an offer from the NFL

brindle #511800 02/02/2013 8:26 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Quote:

Quote:

Jonah Lomu 6'5", 276lb, fast runner, probably upto world class speeds but was often slowed down by opposition players hanging off him. Ran through opposition players. Could play for the whole 80+ minutes.

Bet any NFL manager would have sold his soul to be able to field him

It could just be rumour and I could be wrong, but I believe he did turn down an offer from the NFL

I follow the NFL pretty closely. His name has never come up as anyone's prospect and even European and South American soccer players show up as kicking prospects. I don't doubt that he has adequate speed for his size but 276lbs simply doesn't accelerate quickly enough. Newton's Laws and such.

His name doesn't appear anywhere as any type of sprinter.

The "love of the game" stuff sounds great but I find it difficult to believe if the NFL showed up with 10 times what he's making that he'd turn it down. The rumor that they have is a cute story but that's all it is.

He sounds like a real bruiser, though. It's simply different skill sets. Nobody is going to be an 'every down' back at 276lbs as you simply can't accelerate nor change direction fast enough. He would have a tough time breaking 5 seconds in a 40 yard dash, which is a routine NFL measure. Actual NFL speed is how fast you can accelerate in the first 5 yards. Much over 220lbs is actually a handicap on effectiveness. There have been running backs in the NFL at that size but they are short yardage pounders. The biggest ball carrier I've ever seen was over 300lbs but he'd only get one or two carries a game due to the limitations of speed and agility.

For the NFL Peterson is an ideal size. Powerful, yet incredibly quick and agile.

Smokey3214 #511801 02/02/2013 9:00 PM
Bar Shake
Bar Shake
I've never seen a Haka in the NFL
All Blacks

Contra todo mal, mezcal; contra todo bien, también
bigbill #511802 02/10/2013 10:18 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
So, I watched a good bit of this stuff this weekend. The rugby players are fast in the manner that milers are fast, which is to be expected. That's just the pace of the game. None of them ever demonstrated any sort of sprinter speed, which, again, is to be expected.

One game is a long, continuous affair with players gradually moving slower as the game progresses and the other is a series of team sprints with players substituted if they cannot maintain maintain top flight speed.

They have drastically different physical demands.

I won't try to project an NFL player into rugby but I can safely say that the athletic skills I saw of rugby players don't translate well to performing in the NFL.

Smokey3214 #511803 02/10/2013 11:20 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
As you say Chet, different horses for different courses

But I will say this, even though I wont have a clue what's going on, I would rather watch an American football game than have to suffer seeing a soccer game.

BlueNose #511804 02/11/2013 3:48 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Coming originally from the land of the All Blacks and having played rugby myself I can assure you there are not too many "poofs" playing rugby. If you have seen Jonah in a all black jersey mowing players down like corn or Sean Fitzpatrick up close and personal I think you would reconsider this one!!!!

brindle #511805 02/11/2013 10:45 AM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Quote:

As you say Chet, different horses for different courses

But I will say this, even though I wont have a clue what's going on, I would rather watch an American football game than have to suffer seeing a soccer game.

Soccer is very big (relatively speaking) where I live now (North Carolina). I went to college where they have, arguable, the best collegiate soccer program in the US (Indiana).

I simply can't sit through a game. To me, it's like watching a collection of livestock meandering hither and yon. I have friends that go on, "Well, you just don't understand the nuances...blah, blah, blah."

To me, and that's all I'm saying, to me soccer is painfully boring.

Don't even get me started on watching golf. Playing it...maybe. Watching it? You gotta be kidding me.

Grzegorz #511806 02/11/2013 11:33 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
I loathe American football almost as much as I loathe soccer/football. Ho-hum!

Give me Aussie rules footy or Gaelic football any day.

Kevin - Luceo Non Uro

Link Copied to Clipboard