Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: OT: Concealed Gun Permit
Smokey3214 #497891 08/09/2012 8:42 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
I'm gonna stop before Friar John reaches down from the Great Beyond and says it's sounding like politics.

Dwight #497892 08/09/2012 8:54 PM
New Tires
New Tires
Quote:

Well, not to SOLELY "pick on" all those "poor"(dumb-ass) White Supremacists out there Mac...I suppose that's NOT a bad point.

However, my BASIC point here WAS that...I'll NEVER understand the picks for husbands that some women make, because as you know, MOST marriages begin with women either accepting or refusing the offer of such.

(...and REGARDLESS if those picks are of the "moron variety" of White Supremacists or Dumbasses who won't appear for a freakin' subpoena, OR who might follow "their men" into some armed encampment run by some fake freakin' "Prophet" in Waco Texas, OR for THAT matter ANY of the male morons out there who've never learned how to live their lives in a reasonably peaceful, productive and loving manner!)

The world is full of morons you describe, I thank God they are such a minute minority.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. H. L. Mencken
MACMC #497893 08/09/2012 9:02 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Yeah...maybe, Mac.

It just seems to me that you might have over-qualified(or would that be "over-QUANTified"?) your statement by includin' the word "minute" there, ol' buddy!

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
Smokey3214 #497894 08/09/2012 9:15 PM
New Tires
New Tires
Quote:

Quote:

Wouldn't be nice, if only white supremacist were the only ones committing domestic killings and suicides, there would be so few.

I don't know about their overall racial viewpoints but the radical right does have the domestic terrorism market pretty well cornered.

The radical left just gets in people's way and disrupts traffic.

Like Dwight said their morons, I don't think they are smart enough to know what political philosophy they possess. Mostly they're just agree, frustrated and lashing out, they have no grand political agenda. Although many try to justify their racism, but racism isn't right or left.

By the way, I'll put Scalia's values and scholarship up against any on the left. As a free man, I'll always prefer a member of the Federalist Society to cover my back.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. H. L. Mencken
Smokey3214 #497895 08/09/2012 9:16 PM
New Tires
New Tires
Quote:

I'm gonna stop before Friar John reaches down from the Great Beyond and says it's sounding like politics.

MACMC #497896 08/09/2012 10:36 PM
Bar Shake
Bar Shake
Quote:

Quote:

Dunno Dwight, these seem pretty bizarre

http://trollable.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/WTF-US-laws.jpg

Due to Supreme Court rulings, the only ones in effect are 7, 8 ,9.

Seems like #8 would be it's own punishment.

Contra todo mal, mezcal; contra todo bien, tambiƩn
bigbill #497897 08/09/2012 10:44 PM
New Tires
New Tires
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dunno Dwight, these seem pretty bizarre

http://trollable.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/WTF-US-laws.jpg

Due to Supreme Court rulings, the only ones in effect are 7, 8 ,9.

Seems like #8 would be it's own punishment.

Not so sure, I don't think we are talking normal bell curve type human being here.

Smokey3214 #497898 08/09/2012 11:37 PM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
I'm pretty sure these guys knew what the second amendment was all about.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

"The said Constitution [shall] be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms."
Samuel Adams of Massachusetts -- U.S. Constitution ratification convention, 1788

"Besides the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation... Notwithstanding the military establishments in the several kingdoms of Europe, which are carried as far as the public resources will bear, the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
James Madison, Federalist Papers, #46 at 243-244.

"Arms in the hands of the citizens may be used at individual discretion for the defense of the country, the overthrow of tyranny or private self-defense." - John Adams (1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President A Defense of the Constitution of Government of the United States of America, 1788

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole body of the people except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them..." - George Mason (1725-1792)

We all like to think of ourselves as rugged individualists. But when push comes to shove most of us are sheep who do what we are told. Worst of all, a lot of us become unpaid agents of whoever is controlling the agenda by enforcing the current dogma on the few rugged individualists who actually exist.
The_Dog33 #497899 08/09/2012 11:57 PM
Monkey Butt
Monkey Butt
Quote:

Quote:

Guns are designed to kill people. I don't see that changing.

Guns were not originally designed for that purpose and there are a large number still not designed or intended for that purpose. So no it won't change any time soon because you insinuation that the only purpose they are designed for is killing people is completely erroneous.

All the guns I have are designed and built to kill people. I've never shot anyone, as I never dropped a nuclear weapon although I was trained to do so. Like the nuke, I hope I never have to BUT, in the event it becomes necessary I don't want to only wish I had them. There is a good reason London style riots don't happen in Texas. There is a reason the mass killings all seem to happen in gun free zones. The highest murder rates are in cities where guns are either illegal or severely restricted. Additionally the vast majority of the shootings are committed with illegally obtained weapons. Lastly, the number of crimes committed by concealed carry permit holders is miniscule.

We all like to think of ourselves as rugged individualists. But when push comes to shove most of us are sheep who do what we are told. Worst of all, a lot of us become unpaid agents of whoever is controlling the agenda by enforcing the current dogma on the few rugged individualists who actually exist.
ladisney #497900 08/10/2012 9:03 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

An armed society is a polite society. If you assume everyone may be packing you're less likely to be rude to them, assault them, rob them or rape them. Being young, large, strong and ruthless is much less of an advantage if the older, smaller and weaker intended victim may be armed.

And if you are looking for a real life example just compare Canada and the US.

ljpm #497901 08/10/2012 9:11 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Have you been to the stampede yet?

(google it)

ladisney #497902 08/10/2012 9:34 AM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Quote:

There is a reason the mass killings all seem to happen in gun free zones.

??????????????????????????

Not so much.

ladisney #497903 08/10/2012 9:47 AM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Quote:

Additionally the vast majority of the shootings are committed with illegally obtained weapons.

That's probably true for most individual shootings in the commission of other crimes but is most certainly is not true in regard to the mass shootings in recent history.

I read once read that the majority of guns used in the commission of felonies in NYC were originally purchased legally in Virginia. I can't recall the source so I can't verify it's accuracy. I'm sure that a good number of those illegally changed hands after the initial purchase. There is even some sort of nickname for the firearms pipeline that I-95 provides but my aged brain can't recall that either.

Smokey3214 #497904 08/10/2012 12:51 PM
Second Wind
Second Wind
Quote:

Quote:

Its not hard to understand that the founding fathers were locked in a struggle against an over reaching government that they felt needed to be rebelled against and wanted to insure that our new gooberment would never become such a problem. So they out lined civilians rights that were not to be infringed upon by an over reaching government in the future. You know all that stuff about speach, and trials, search and seizure, you know stuff like that. But the second amendment is something completely different and refers to military. I guess the founding fathers were incapable of sequacious thought. All this stuff about personal freedoms except the second sentence.

There was plenty written by the framers at the time to clarify their intent. I guess they never envisioned that a bibliography of their correspondence would one day be necessary to interpret their words.

It's all still out there if one takes the time and effort to research and read. Sometimes when I read the opinions or dissents of SCOTUS justices it seems as though some think the nation was formed around 1960.

If I write you some instructions you do not have to read everything I have ever writen to understand what I wrote to you. You can read in context and understand what I intended. No bibliography required.
The constitution is a document the was writen in context and in logical order and flow of thought.
Any way I don't need a document to tell me that I have the right to defend my own, and my family's; life, and liberty. I think it stands to reason that arming myself well enough to do so according to the weapons of the times is a reasonable expectation.

I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. Edgar Allan Poe
Smokey3214 #497905 08/10/2012 1:17 PM
eddieb Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Silly me for asking a question about how to keep a firearm in a house with kids. Over the years, several threads have been posted about handguns. Thought some members could share how they deal with the gun/kid issue. Should have known this subject would turn into a for or against debate.

Guess I should visit a gun enthusiast's website.

Anyway, ride on folks! Weather wise, it's suppose to be nice this weekend. Wait a minute, my bike is still being worked on.

Last edited by eddieb; 08/10/2012 1:21 PM.

Didn't buy into the hype, you can keep the change.
eddieb #497906 08/10/2012 4:51 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Eddie, any gun you have in a house where a kid lives should be locked up or a trigger guard lock installed. You should also provide instruction to the child that a gun of any kind is not to be played with, and take them out to the range to ensure they have some practice with you.

The kids who shot up the school in Jonesboro, AR a number of years back acquired the weapons from an unattended, unlocked gunsafe.

JB "Long live the Duck Force!"
JCBullen #497907 08/10/2012 6:24 PM
Second Wind
Second Wind
I have raised 4 children and none of them have toyed with any of my guns. I have taken them shooting and they understand that they are not toys to play with. When I was a kid 10 years old, I had a shot gun and the shells in my bedroom

I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. Edgar Allan Poe
StandingBull #497908 08/10/2012 6:25 PM
Second Wind
Second Wind
Children are not stupid infact I would venture to say they are smarter than most adults. They only need guidance.

StandingBull #497909 08/10/2012 9:39 PM
Fe Butt
Online Content
Fe Butt
My grand kids know where my guns are and they are not locked up. They are in the process of being taught safe gun handling. As long as you take the mystery out of it and don't make them forbidden fruit kids are smart enough to leave them along unless they ask. I answered you way back when you first asked.

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
The_Dog33 #497910 08/11/2012 8:49 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
All this talk of guns has made me go out and buy two more. Actually, I bought them last week at the local gun show.

First time I had ever gone to one and there were no skin heads, neo-nazis or survivalist radicals in attendance. No more exciting that the average RV or boat show. There was an anti-gun protester outside, but she was being respectful, so no harm there.

Hermit #497911 08/11/2012 8:58 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

...and there were no skin heads, neo-nazis or survivalist radicals in attendance.

You should come to the one HERE in Pine Hills!

And you may see me tonight With an illegal smile J. Prine
Hermit #497912 08/12/2012 1:10 AM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
As a general rule, protesting pacifists are rarely very objectionable.

Don't mess with their whales, though.

Smokey3214 #497913 08/13/2012 8:47 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Not for nothing guys but...the O.P did NOT ask for a 5 page debate on the merits of the second amendment...what he asked was

"I'm needing suggestions on how to have a home with kids and a loaded handgun without the unthinkable happening."

keep it on target!

Pun intended

THE VOICE OF REASON per: Stewart AF&AM/Shriner/Scoutmaster 130/45 TBS 2shim SS Uni 18/42
RobBA05 #497914 08/13/2012 8:52 AM
New Tires
New Tires
George Phillips , an elderly man, from Meridian, Mississippi, was going up to bed, when his wife told him that heā€™d left the light on in the garden shed, which she could see from the bedroom window. George opened the back door to go turn off the light, but saw that there were people in the shed stealing things.

He phoned the police, who asked ā€œIs someone in your house?ā€

He said ā€œNo,ā€ but some people are breaking into my garden shed and stealing from me.

Then the police dispatcher said ā€œAll patrols are busy. You should lock your doors and an officer will be along when one is available.ā€

George said, ā€œOkay.ā€

He hung up the phone and counted to 30.

Then he phoned the police again.

ā€œHello, I just called you a few seconds ago because there were people stealing things from my shed. Well, you donā€™t have to worry about them now because I just shot them.ā€ and he hung up.

Within five minutes, six Police Cars, a SWAT Team, a Helicopter, two Fire Trucks, a Paramedic, and an Ambulance showed up at the Phillipsā€™ residence, and caught the burglars red-handed.

One of the Policemen said to George, ā€œI thought you said that youā€™d shot them!ā€

George said, ā€œI thought you said there was nobody available!ā€

MACMC #497915 08/13/2012 10:01 AM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Great story that's been around for a while but, alas, it is fiction.

Smokey3214 #497916 08/13/2012 10:31 AM
New Tires
New Tires
I posted it because it WAS a joke, as it was where I stole it.

MACMC #497917 08/13/2012 11:10 AM
Second Wind
Second Wind
Thats about the response I got when my truck was stole. Even after I was behind it going down the highway they didn't want to help. I had to trick them into helping by saying he had a gun. Then they came out. Pretty sad I had to track down my own truck and had to trick the police into helping me recover it when I found it.

StandingBull #497918 08/13/2012 11:29 AM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Never had a cop ever indicate that any type of investigation would be initiated for any crime I've ever reported. As far as they were concerned their job was to provide a report.

Smokey3214 #497919 08/13/2012 11:53 AM
New Tires
New Tires
Reading police reports are a hoot and I thought I wrote badly.
Even worse is the poor officer that has to interpret and enter those narratives in to the uniform crime stat reports sent to the FBI. I imagine in some large cities they just flip a coin or throw darts to determine what law might apply from the original report.

MACMC #497920 08/13/2012 12:31 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
With gun ownership readily available to just about anyone with half a brain it opens up a whole can of worms. Been to a rifle range lately? I have seen more stupid people waving around their plastic AR15s like idiots. 'Never been trained on gun safety but damn my rifle looks cool' is the mentality I see. So while they are shooting up the rented targets frames 100 yards out and laughing and passing around the rifle like passing around a jug of whisky I stay as far away from them as possible. I even grabbed one out the a guys hand. There were three of them using the rifle. Removed the mag; emptied the chamber and told them to get F$#%^k out here because they were acting stupid and were going to kill themselves or someone else. I got a standing cheer for doing that. Then went back to my moving blanket and finished knocken em out at 400 yards. Then the range officer came over to check my rifle for legality because I made him look like a fool for not doing his job. He didn't know what he was looking at. But did pick up my enbloc and handed it to me stating my rifle was broken. Way too many stupid people out there with weapons. Maybe if they knew what it was like to be shot at they wouldn't act so reckless. When I shoot I don't think of shooting humans or animals. And wouldn't do either unless threatened.

Soul_Survivor #497921 08/13/2012 12:56 PM
New Tires
New Tires
Sounds like you lost your cool, surprises me that the ranger didn't ask all of you to leave.

MACMC #497922 08/13/2012 1:14 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Nope. Just the opposite. Someone was going to get hurt. I just prevented it from happening. believe or not the range is a very relaxing place for me. Now the 405 on Friday afternoon is a different story....

Soul_Survivor #497923 08/13/2012 2:37 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Quote:

With gun ownership readily available to just about anyone with half a brain it opens up a whole can of worms. Been to a rifle range lately? I have seen more stupid people waving around their plastic AR15s like idiots. 'Never been trained on gun safety but damn my rifle looks cool' is the mentality I see. So while they are shooting up the rented targets frames 100 yards out and laughing and passing around the rifle like passing around a jug of whisky I stay as far away from them as possible. I even grabbed one out the a guys hand. There were three of them using the rifle. Removed the mag; emptied the chamber and told them to get F$#%^k out here because they were acting stupid and were going to kill themselves or someone else. I got a standing cheer for doing that. Then went back to my moving blanket and finished knocken em out at 400 yards. Then the range officer came over to check my rifle for legality because I made him look like a fool for not doing his job. He didn't know what he was looking at. But did pick up my enbloc and handed it to me stating my rifle was broken. Way too many stupid people out there with weapons. Maybe if they knew what it was like to be shot at they wouldn't act so reckless. When I shoot I don't think of shooting humans or animals. And wouldn't do either unless threatened.

There are quite a few YouTube videos of that nature. None of the people I used to shoot with were like that but some of the messes I've cleaned up qualified for Darwin awards.

Smokey3214 #497924 08/14/2012 10:37 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Anyone on any range is allowed to call a cease fire when they see someone practicing unsafe gun handling. Even if the RO doesn't. That's just basic common sense and personal safety. I've called more than one person out for sweeping others (not keeping their muzzle pointed downrange). I'll do it again in a heart beat when necessary.

Doug did exactly what the RO should've done. Good job! It's time more of us stood up. I'm not going to get shot at a range because of some idiot. These guns aren't toys and should be treated like such. Hollywood has caused a lot of problems with the way they treat guns in the movies as it leads people to believe they're not dangerous. But, once again, it boils down to personal responsibility as do most things.

Have a heart that never hardens, a temper that never tires, a touch that never hurts. - Charles Dickens
Missannies #497925 08/14/2012 10:47 AM
New Tires
New Tires
Calling a cease fire on the range is appropriate and happens at any decent range, but ripping a firearm out of a stranger's hands misses a opportunity for a teachable moment. Besides, in some jurisdictions it may be considered simple assault or get your ass kicked.

MACMC #497926 08/14/2012 10:50 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I totally agree with you Mac, I did forget about that part of the story. A person has no right to take a firearm out of someones hands in a situation like that on the range. My bad...thanks for the correction.

Have a heart that never hardens, a temper that never tires, a touch that never hurts. - Charles Dickens
Soul_Survivor #497927 08/14/2012 10:52 AM
eddieb Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Quote:

Sadly, this can be said about motorcycle owners. Hot Springs has an open rally and a Harley rally. I appreciate the business the rallies bring to the local merchants, but I darn sure wouldn't ride with the attendees. As posted many moons ago, I ride with a select few or alone.

Didn't buy into the hype, you can keep the change.
eddieb #497928 08/14/2012 11:35 AM
New Tires
New Tires
I agree, don't ride or hunt birds with more than four.

Missannies #497929 08/14/2012 7:42 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

I totally agree with you Mac, I did forget about that part of the story.A person has no right to take a firearm out of someones hands in a situation like that on the range. My bad...thanks for the correction.

They didn't speak english. Have you seen how many bullet holes are in the tin/wood sun cover of some rifle ranges? And seize fire was called by 5 people by my count because the 'RO' wasn't anywhere in sight. And these guys weren't going to kick anybodies ass in this situation. If anything I stopped them from getting their asses kicked. Lets just say some people shouldn't own weapons and leave it at that. And all non motorcyclists should have to take the motorcycle written course when its time to get a new drivers license or renewing one.

MACMC #497930 08/14/2012 9:03 PM
Second Wind
Second Wind
Quote:

Calling a cease fire on the range is appropriate and happens at any decent range, but ripping a firearm out of a stranger's hands misses a opportunity for a teachable moment. Besides, in some jurisdictions it may be considered simple assault or get your ass kicked.

What ever. He did what he did, and none of that stuff that you said happened. It ended a dangerous situation, and its over now. So trying to play daddy and correcting his behavior is just lame. Lets just judge a fellow and run him down with a bunch of hypothetical crap that didn't happen and wouldn't. Noone comes on here to be father knows best-ed.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard