Print Thread
Will it sound like a sewing machine?
#491608 05/30/2012 6:32 PM
brindle Offline OP
Loquacious
OP Offline
Loquacious

Too old to die young, too ugly to leave a good looking corpse
Re: Will it sound like a sewing machine?
brindle #491609 05/30/2012 7:09 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
IMHO this is the wave of the future. In the next few years you'll start seeing more machines like this on the road as battery technology improves.

Who cares what they sound like?
I'm done with loud pipes on bikes. If all you ride is 20 miles for an ice cream cone, you can deal with loud. 400-mile days with loud pipes are pretty unpleasant to me.

Last edited by Speedmaster05; 05/30/2012 7:10 PM.

Kevin - Luceo Non Uro
Speedmaster05 #491610 05/30/2012 9:04 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
I'd actually love to see Triumph do something like this. I've kept my eye on Zero for a while. I also love to try out the Mission R. All that being said, I'm keeping my Speedmaster FOR LIFE!

Leithal #491611 05/30/2012 11:32 PM
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
Speakers and an MP3 player and you can make it sound however you want.

Speedmaster05 #491612 05/30/2012 11:48 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

IMHO this is the wave of the future. In the next few years you'll start seeing more machines like this on the road as battery technology improves.

I'm done with loud pipes on bikes. If all you ride is 20 miles for an ice cream cone, you can deal with loud. 400-mile days with loud pipes are pretty unpleasant to me.

I have always run drag pipes or straight pipes like now and I ride cross country.400 to 500 miles on a typical day off with straight pipes.

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
The_Dog33 #491613 05/31/2012 3:32 AM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
And I'm sure everybody you pass by on those 400 to 500 mile rides are probably thinkin' to themselves what a macho guy you are too, Ian!!!

Of course, sometimes there's those folks out there who might confuse "macho" with "inconsiderate", but the hell with them, huh!

(...btw folks, isn't Greg in Colorado working on one of these here Eee-lectrical Motorsickles?)

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
The_Dog33 #491614 05/31/2012 5:43 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

Quote:

I have always run drag pipes or straight pipes like now and I ride cross country.400 to 500 miles on a typical day off with straight pipes.

And what's the point of that? Only an 8 year old thinks that's cool.
Everyone else is thinking, "this is why I hate motorcycles."

Kevin - Luceo Non Uro
Speedmaster05 #491615 05/31/2012 11:53 AM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Come on...really? its not just about the sound, however i prefer a bike to sound like a bike and not a scooter, but i also want better flow of exhaust etc etc. Bikes have run like this since their conception, but only now people whine about the sound? Oh ya, thats right, want to live longer, eat better, get things faster, good grief Charlie brown, soon i won't be able to take a P*ss in the woods without someone telling me to wait another 500 miles.

Get over it. To each their own and then we die.

2007 Speedmaster and miss it! 2013 T-Bird Storm and Luvin it! Catching a yellow jacket in your shirt at 70 mph can double your vocabulary
brindle #491616 05/31/2012 12:33 PM
Old Hand
Old Hand
I really don't know about this stuff. When you look at electric cars, there hasn't been all that much progress in the last hundred plus years. Around 1900, electric cars would go the speed limit and then some, run about 100 miles and took some 8 - 10 hours to recharge. Now, you get pretty much the same with the big difference being that you used to be able to drain the batteries, clean the cases and plates, and they would last over 100 years. (Jay Leno has an early electric with most of the original batteries.) Now, the batteries have to be "recycled" after a few years at a high cost of cash and pollution. Also, if you crash, you have to immediately follow a complicated procedure to discharge the batteries or it might burn down the repair shop.

Back in the 80's, someone converted a Beech Bonanza to electric. He split the fuel tanks horizontally with flexible diaphragms and installed lithium fuel cells. The 200 HP gas engine was replaced with a 160 HP electric of about the same weight. At altitude, the electric still produced 160 HP while the original would drop off to around 120 - 140. The spent hydrogen peroxide was transfered to the bottom half of the tank where it was drained out as the upper half was refilled, so a "recharge" took the same time as refueling a standard Bonanza. The lithium could be extracted from the used hydrogen peroxide so both could be reused. The lithium bars in the fuel cells were replaced during the regular 100 hour inspection in about the same time as an oil change, so the whole setup took no more time than a gas burner.

Let's hope there's intelligent life somewhere in space 'cause it's buggar all down here. -- Monte Python
edmspeedmaster #491617 05/31/2012 2:50 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Come on...really? its not just about the sound, however i prefer a bike to sound like a bike and not a scooter, but i also want better flow of exhaust etc etc. Bikes have run like this since their conception, but only now people whine about the sound? Oh ya, thats right, want to live longer, eat better, get things faster, good grief Charlie brown, soon i won't be able to take a P*ss in the woods without someone telling me to wait another 500 miles.

Well Mike, I'll ONLY say here that a freakin' "piss in woods" doesn't usually GRATE on the nerves and eardrums of those 90% of folks out there who DON'T ride motorsickles....the poor bastards.

(...well, that WOULD BE of course unless when YOU are pissing, the sounds comin' from THAT would exceed, say, 95dB...which I'm kinda doubtin' here that it does)

And while YOU may wish to eat, drink and/or live to excess and/or NOT care about "the quality of life" of those poor bastards, I'VE found that living a life of reasonable moderation can USUALLY go a looooong way toward gettin' along with other folks of ALL stripes...includin' those poor bastard who don't ride motorsickles.

(...and of course that whole "moderation' thing here ALSO goes for how my pipes sound on my bike...NOT too loud, and NOT to soft...In fact, "almost PERFECT"...just like me!)

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
Dwight #491618 05/31/2012 3:28 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well Mike, I'll ONLY say here that a freakin' "piss in woods" doesn't usually GRATE on the nerves and eardrums of those 90% of folks out there who DON'T ride motorsickles....the poor bastards.

(...well, that WOULD BE of course unless when YOU are pissing, the sounds comin' from THAT would exceed, say, 95dB...which I'm kinda doubtin' here that it does)

And while YOU may wish to eat, drink and/or live to excess and/or NOT care about "the quality of life" of those poor bastards, I'VE found that living a life of reasonable moderation can USUALLY go a looooong way toward gettin' along with other folks of ALL stripes...includin' those poor bastard who don't ride motorsickles.

(...and of course that whole "moderation' thing here ALSO goes for how my pipes sound on my bike...NOT too loud, and NOT to soft...In fact, "almost PERFECT"...just like me!)

Your point is valid....we will agree to disagree and thats my point only.... there is no way in heaven we can please everyone. Ny the way i get along with everyone! I am a nice guy! LOL i just like my bike with bark is all.

I also like my eggs sunny side up

2007 Speedmaster and miss it! 2013 T-Bird Storm and Luvin it! Catching a yellow jacket in your shirt at 70 mph can double your vocabulary
edmspeedmaster #491619 05/31/2012 4:23 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Your point is valid....we will agree to disagree and thats my point only.... there is no way in heaven we can please everyone. Ny the way i get along with everyone! I am a nice guy! LOL i just like my bike with bark is all.

I also like my eggs sunny side up

"SUNNY SIDE UP"!!!! Now THAT they SHOULD ban!!!

'Cause "everybody knows" Over-Medium(once again there's that "moderation" thing in play again here, huh! ) is the ONLY way to fry EGGS, Mike!!!

Dwight #491620 05/31/2012 4:47 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
My america with stock exhausts sounds a bit like a sewing machine at idle.

I *imagine* an electric would have kind of an exciting turbine/whine sound for the rider.

Bill #491621 05/31/2012 5:01 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
That reminds me of the times I was at the Rock Store(a little road house motorcycle gathering place in SoCal's Santa Monica Mtns) when Jay Leno was there with his Turbine-powered bike.

He'd often have to warn people to step back a few paces and away from the exhaust port near the aft bottom of the bike before he'd hit the ignitor button on the handlebars, or it would "melt your shoes", as he said. It would then make a "tick-tick-tick" sound, just like whats on a Gas BBQ, and then begin its slow and increasingly higher-pitched whine as that baby spooled-up.

Speedmaster05 #491622 05/31/2012 6:50 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I started riding when I was about 8 years old. I never have liked the sound of a stock bike. I like a bike that sounds like a bike and have never kept stock pipes stock. I just never growed up.

leonard #491623 06/01/2012 7:19 AM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Honestly I like it loud, always have. However in this arena you gotta think outside the box so a little peace and quiet would be fine.

OH, and those poor bastards that Dwight speaks of, well they can get some freaking ear plugs.

Leithal #491624 06/01/2012 9:20 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
What you "Pipes with Personality" guys are missing is that loud motorcycles piss off people who don't ride.

And they outnumber us by a lot.

And they vote. And they vote for people that crack down on loud machines.

Hell, even the American Motorcyclist Association is on their side!

So if you insist on riding a machine that makes your ears bleed that's all well & good. But if you give someone else an ear ache, they're going to remember it.

Kevin - Luceo Non Uro
Speedmaster05 #491625 06/01/2012 1:12 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
We are bikers, we don't give a rats ass about them. Let them pass more laws, we will break them, like we have always done. One more law passed, another freedom gone, yada yada yada. Just another stint in lock-up, another tat. Oh, and I don't like my mom.

leonard #491626 06/01/2012 1:57 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
I've seen quite a few electric bikes and they all sound like cordless drills. It's actually not a bad sound...and I like my pipes to be a little on the louder side. I can control them enough that the neighbors don't hate me when I ride in at midnight on my quiet little street.
with an electric motor we could have different sounds to play out of some speakers so it can sound like whatever we want.

maybe I could finally have a "Walk Don't Run" personal theme song going whenever I ride anywhere.

~Brent ----- "Nothing you can be is more terrible than what I am." ~ 2007 Black Speedmaster!!
BCarnage #491627 06/02/2012 10:01 AM
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
Quote:

maybe I could finally have a "Walk Don't Run" personal theme song going whenever I ride anywhere.

Now you're talkin.

BCarnage #491628 06/02/2012 10:17 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
i dont want to get into another pissing match about loud pipes but i will say this, even my 83 yr old mother sez she likes it when she hears a bike in traffic because she then knows it is there and to watch out for it.untill they quiet down all cars, trucks, and lawn equipment they can all kiss my assss!!!!!! but to get back to the subject at hand i must say that electric bikes and cars are ok maybe for commuting but untill they make one that will carry me to say cali and back with maybe having to stop every 100mi or so for maybe 1/2hr or so i am not interested. and if we were talking about cars in this story i would also ad that i might like to pull a trailer maybe a travel trailer....can an electric vehicle do that??? i think maybe an off road bike that will have a charge that will last for say 8 hrs might be fun?? untill then??? i have no reason to be interested

ENJOY!!!!! NEWT!!!!!

Moderated by  bennybmn, chy, mert 

Link Copied to Clipboard