by chy, September 18
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Not sure if it counts
#490941 05/24/2012 4:17 PM
Shamus Offline OP
OP Offline
I've been away for a while and glad to be back. Working a serial killer for two years out of a borrowed office so I could not get access. Also had a little flap with accusations of improper computer use. Turns out they investigated the wrong guy. I needed to find some info about valve adjustment since I cant afford to have the dealer do it and I though I would tell y'all a little story.

I am not sure if it counts in the old motorcycle saying, "There are those who have had an accident and those who have not, yet."

A couple of weeks back I was riding my BA to my National Guard drill. Five thirty in the morning, thirty five miles per hour and two miles from the house. Some have called it hunting without a license and others have called it suicide by cop, but I got up close and personal with a deer.

Before I knew what was happening Bambi's face was right in front of my face and I took a big hit to my right side. I thought sure I was going down and hoped the car coming in the next lane would stop. When I realized I wasnt going down I cruised into the sheriff's office parking lot which was a block down the street. Thought I had a broken lower right leg, but has turned out to be a severe contusion and bone bruise. I count myself among the extremely lucky. Minimal damage to me and none to the bike.

I tried to waive down three deputies getting their patrol cars to start the day. Two drove past and the third stopped and when I told him what happened he said, "Call 911. They'll help." When I called 911 I was told a deputy would be on the way. I waited in THEIR parking lot for forty five minutes before having the wife take me to the hospital. Told the dispatcher I was going to the hospital and deputy could meet me there. Was there for two hours and no deputy. Apparently the new breed of cops is different from us old bastards. Needless to say the Sheriff, my former boss, got an earful a few days later.

My military unit was ready to send a truck and trailer to get me and the bike so I could save tow fees and ambulance fees if necessary. They decided I was on duty because I was in uniform and headed to work, so they have picked up all medical bills. I knew I joined the right unit when I had my midlife crisis at 45.

Sorry for the long ramble, but I thought y'all would be entertained. I may be posting questions for help if I get stuck on the valve adjustment.

Rick

Re: Not sure if it counts
Shamus #490942 05/24/2012 4:26 PM
New Tires
New Tires
Jesus!, Rick you dodged a bullet, hope your leg gets better.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. H. L. Mencken
MACMC #490943 05/24/2012 4:44 PM
Shamus Offline OP
OP Offline
It hurt like crazy for two weeks, but it is getting better now. I really feel lucky after hearing a CA cop hit a deer going to work a week or so and he was killed. Someone was looking out for me.

Shamus #490944 05/24/2012 6:13 PM
Old Hand
Old Hand
You did it wrong! When you called 911, you should have told them you were driving a donut truck. Then you would have had instant response.

Let's hope there's intelligent life somewhere in space 'cause it's buggar all down here. -- Monte Python
Greybeard #490945 05/24/2012 8:08 PM
Bar Shake
Bar Shake
ED. Telling donut jokes to a cop ..........................

Contra todo mal, mezcal; contra todo bien, tambiƩn
bigbill #490946 05/24/2012 8:13 PM
Worn Saddle
Worn Saddle
STINKIN DEER! Good story about the local Leo's though. You should have gone in the office and bled on their carpet.

Fidelis et Fortis
arstaren #490947 05/24/2012 8:23 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

STINKIN DEER! Good story about the local Leo's though. You should have gone in the office and bled on their carpet.

Yeah Rich! BUT, look on the BRIGHT SIDE here! It seems IF it WASN'T for that freakin' deer, Detective Sergeant Rick here PROBABLY wouldn't have felt the impetus to have contacted all his old friends around here again...right Rick?!

(...glad to hear you're doin' well lately...all things considered, that is!)

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
Shamus #490948 05/25/2012 8:57 AM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Dadgum suicide deers!

"Despite all the amputation, you could dance to a rock 'n roll station..."
blackdog #490949 05/25/2012 9:08 AM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Should have asked for an ambulance, they'd be there in minutes. Paramedics love trauma.

Back in my EMS days it never ceased to amaze me how an ambulance could get to a crime scene in 6 minutes and our police backup would arrive 20 minutes after we'd transported to the hospital.

Smokey3214 #490950 05/25/2012 6:28 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Glad to hear you're ok and the issues have been addressed. You didn't tell us how the deer faired?????

12 Rocket Roadster
03 Bonneville America
69 BSA Firebird Scrambler
73 Yamaha TX 750

Link Copied to Clipboard