by Feral, November 28
GaRally22
GaRally22
by chy, September 18
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What's up with this young generation?
Smokey3214 #490694 05/23/2012 10:13 PM
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
Quote:

The best thing that ever happened to my kids was having parents who were 29 and 30 years old before they started having kids.

I could no more have been a father at nineteen than I could have eaten sawdust and $hit 2 X 4's.

At 30 I relished in it. I did, however, have to keep my butt in good condition far longer than a lot of people. I once blew out a hammy running 40's with the football team when I was 47.

I was kicking butt until I crashed and burned.

I did the 19 year old parent thing, I don't recommend it

Now that I'm 34, my wife and I may try to have one. It will probably go a lot better.

Always remember to be yourself. Unless you suck. Then pretend to be someone else.
roadworthy #490695 05/23/2012 10:44 PM
Ted Offline
Adjunct
Adjunct
Well, we each have our own story. I was 36 when my son was born. We had been married for 3 years by then. My wife stayed home for the first few years and then we put him into preschool. We limited tv, computer and internet access. I coached him in tball, soccer and basketball, until he showed no interest. (and I wasn't a raging sports dad either). We went to all the teacher parent conferences.

In other words, we did all the things that we were shown how to do by our parents.

Two months ago, we asked our son to find other accommodations. He is nineteen. While he had a minimum wage job at CVS, he seemed comfortable with that as a life goal achieved. His room smelled like bong water, he would come home in the middle of the night and wake us up while preparing his "evening meal" And he had trouble understanding why we had an issue with him sneaking his underage girlfriend into the house.

I was really stupid at nineteen, but the Navy cured a lot of that for me. He wouldn't even pass the piss test.

Sorry for venting at you all, but it won't work unless I hit the send button.

Send lawyers, guns and money, cause the sh*t has hit the fan!

-W. Zevon

2020 Bud Ekins T100
Ted #490696 05/24/2012 1:16 AM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Well, yeah Ted, I suppose it's all pretty much, as they say, a "crap shoot" alright, BUT just as the game of Craps is pretty much the best game to play in Vegas because the overall odds are the least against you as compared to every other game in town there, I would guess that the odds of raising a well adjusted kid to become a responsible adult MIGHT favor those who wait until they're juuuuuuust a little older themselves, and who might THEN know just a little bit more about the "Game of Life" so that they can depart just a little bit more of that information to their kids.

(...ahhh, but then again, I decided YEARS ago that I wasn't going to foist another generation upon this weary old world, so what the heck do I know about any o' this, eh?!)

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
Ted #490697 05/24/2012 8:25 AM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Quote:

Well, we each have our own story. I was 36 when my son was born. We had been married for 3 years by then. My wife stayed home for the first few years and then we put him into preschool. We limited tv, computer and internet access. I coached him in tball, soccer and basketball, until he showed no interest. (and I wasn't a raging sports dad either). We went to all the teacher parent conferences.

In other words, we did all the things that we were shown how to do by our parents.

Two months ago, we asked our son to find other accommodations. He is nineteen. While he had a minimum wage job at CVS, he seemed comfortable with that as a life goal achieved. His room smelled like bong water, he would come home in the middle of the night and wake us up while preparing his "evening meal" And he had trouble understanding why we had an issue with him sneaking his underage girlfriend into the house.

I was really stupid at nineteen, but the Navy cured a lot of that for me. He wouldn't even pass the piss test.

Sorry for venting at you all, but it won't work unless I hit the send button.

It hasn't been all roses. One of mine tried the rebellion thing. I had to go tough love on him (not my nature). He has three years of college under his belt and works with special needs kids so it's not like he's holding up gas stations or anything. Mostly I lost trust in him.

Now, he's asking for advice. He has decided he needs more structure and a change of location. He was supposed to talk to a Navy recruiter last week.

I think he'll be OK but it hasn't always been pretty.

eddieb #490698 05/24/2012 8:25 AM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
I could go on and on about what we are seeing with our kids' friends. We are trying very hard to instill things like respect, courtesy, and manners in our children, which we rarely see from their friends, and their friends are not bad kids. They just have no idea how to act. When I was young, I could not imagine going into a friend's home and taking food or drink without asking first, yet it is commonplace here.

That is just a small example of the erosion of these core values that should be taught to each generation. I read a post earlier from Dwight about how kids today communicate, and I think he is on to something. Communication has become so impersonal that it is an afterthought to these kids.

Wow, I said it "kids today". I have now passed into the jaws of middle age. Time to ride!!!!

In Between the Dark and the Light..
Ryan7771 #490699 05/24/2012 8:30 AM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Get off my lawn!

Smokey3214 #490700 05/24/2012 4:28 PM
I know what everyone is saying. You should see some of the idiots we get in the police academy. They all have this sense of entitlement and none want to take responsibility for anything.

I guess I have been lucky or the beatings worked out. My oldest, 22, is waiting to ship out with the Navy. Has a contract for Nuclear but wants to be a SEAL. Never a problem with him with the exception of a two year bump when he thought he wanted to get married. Dodged that bullet. Youngest is 16 has nor real urge to drive a bunch and beats herself up if she gets anything lower than an A. She wants to be a doctor and is thinking about doing it through the military so mom and dad dont have to foot the bill. I am not sure what we did, but we are very lucky.

Rick

Shamus #490701 05/24/2012 5:26 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert

In Between the Dark and the Light..
eddieb #490702 05/24/2012 6:23 PM
Old Hand
Old Hand
A couple of weeks ago, there was some street bum looking person trying to fill out an application at one of the terminals we have for such use. He had a support group of about 6 people hanging out (some literally!) suggesting what answers they thought would be most likely to be "correct". There was no pretense that any of these answers might be true.

Let's hope there's intelligent life somewhere in space 'cause it's buggar all down here. -- Monte Python
Greybeard #490703 05/24/2012 6:48 PM
"Lighten up, Francis."
"Lighten up, Francis."
'What's with these kids today' yeah that's never been uttered by an older generation ever before in the course of human history...

BA.com Caretaker | Friarsride | jb.com
FriarJohn #490704 05/24/2012 8:03 PM
Worn Saddle
Worn Saddle
We have six kids, yours, mine and ours. The oldest spent all of his twenties pursuing the "gangsta" life style, and most of that time in the "almost" prisons. He "says" he is in school now at age 32, although he has left a long trail of wreckage behind him. Our youngest boy is hard working, honest and a go getter. He and his great girlfriend bought our "old" house and they both work overtime to pay for their lifestyle. And all the kids in between fit somewhere in between as far as being good people. We raised them all the same, and didn't play favorites. We gave them lots of love and laughs with discipline when it was warranted. Sometimes there just seems to be no rhyme or reason and parenthood is a crap shoot. I envy the fella on here that was lucky enough to have three good kids in a row.

Fidelis et Fortis
arstaren #490705 05/25/2012 11:03 AM
eddieb Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
I understand the differences in kids. It crushes my eldest daughter if her actions disapoints us. The youngest, not so much. The 11 year old looks like mom, the 9 year old looks like me. Hmm wonder if that has anything to do with their personalities?

Didn't buy into the hype, you can keep the change.
arstaren #490706 05/25/2012 12:27 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

We have six kids, yours, mine and ours. The oldest spent all of his twenties pursuing the "gangsta" life style, and most of that time in the "almost" prisons. He "says" he is in school now at age 32, although he has left a long trail of wreckage behind him. Our youngest boy is hard working, honest and a go getter. He and his great girlfriend bought our "old" house and they both work overtime to pay for their lifestyle. And all the kids in between fit somewhere in between as far as being good people. We raised them all the same, and didn't play favorites. We gave them lots of love and laughs with discipline when it was warranted. Sometimes there just seems to be no rhyme or reason and parenthood is a crap shoot. I envy the fella on here that was lucky enough to have three good kids in a row.

Well Rich, you DO realize that with your above comment that you've pretty much confirmed what Chet and I were sayin' earlier about maybe waitin' until one is a bit older to start havin' kids, right?!

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
Dwight #490707 05/25/2012 12:35 PM
Check Pants
Check Pants
I remember as a wet-behind-the-ears nubbin' travelling in the backseat of the family hubmobile with my sister & brother. If things threatened to get out of hand, our parent's would turn to me as the resident voice of reason to bring a sense of order back to the Chaos. It's a gift.

On the other hand I work with yutes (youth) all the time, I'll be handing out a couple of scholarship awards this weekend. My standard comment is I'm glad I don't have to compete with some of these kids in today's job market.

jh

"It's not what I say that's important, it's what you hear" Red Auerbach
freedom #490708 05/25/2012 12:49 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Probably very true there, John.

And, EXACTLY the reason why I'd HATE to be any younger than I am now, 60 years old, and NOT retired.

(...'cause I think I'm at an age that was probably the LAST generation where a basic Blue Collar worker with only a high school education to his name COULD own their own home, retire and enjoy life BEFORE you'd get REALLY freakin' old and feeble!)

Dwight #490709 05/25/2012 2:50 PM
moe Offline
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
I'll drink to that.

Blowing gravel off rural roads
moe #490710 05/25/2012 3:04 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Yeah, well Jim, there's probably a NUMBER of reasons for that phenomenon, BUT I got me a feelin' you and I would probably have differing thoughts about those reasons here, wouldn't we ol' buddy???!!!

(...and THIS certainly isn't the place to expand upon those reasons here, is it!)

Dwight #490711 05/25/2012 3:46 PM
eddieb Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Geez, just had a merchant from 2 doors down tell me they caught a shoplifter via the serveillance cameras. Turns out she was a 20ish year old waitress from the restaurant next door. She returned the $60 belt and was fired by her manager. That belt turned out to be very expensive for her.

Didn't buy into the hype, you can keep the change.
eddieb #490712 05/25/2012 5:57 PM
Old Hand
Old Hand
That's one of the things I can't understand about people. They come in where I work and steal 3 bucks worth of screwdriver bits. The typical sentence for petty theft is 90 days. That tells me these people consider their lives to be worth less than a dollar a month! On top of that, they will grab a 6 pack of bits and take 2 bits from it when there is a 2 pack of the same bit hanging in the next spot that would have been easier to steal.

Let's hope there's intelligent life somewhere in space 'cause it's buggar all down here. -- Monte Python
Greybeard #490713 05/25/2012 6:44 PM
New Tires
New Tires
You do not understand, they are entitled and been taught to have self esteem.

Last edited by MACMC; 05/25/2012 6:45 PM.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. H. L. Mencken
eddieb #490714 05/25/2012 7:19 PM
Second Wind
Second Wind
Quote:

Geez, just had a merchant from 2 doors down tell me they caught a shoplifter via the serveillance cameras. Turns out she was a 20ish year old waitress from the restaurant next door. She returned the $60 belt and was fired by her manager. That belt turned out to be very expensive for her.

I would fire an employee for stealing from someone else, in a heart beat.
What they need is a hard dose of reality. I'm stopping here so I don't go on a rant.

I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. Edgar Allan Poe
MACMC #490715 05/25/2012 7:38 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

Ya know Mac, sometimes I think kickin' this whole "self-esteem movement" and pointing to it as some kind of culprit as to why "kids today have no respect" is somewhat misplaced, and here's why...

It seems to me that when I was a kid, the kids that had the absolute WORSE time understanding the concept of responsible behavior, i.e. teenage pregnancy, drug use, under-age drinking and other criminal behavior, WERE the very freakin' kids who basically had NO "self-esteem". Either it was never taught to 'em by their inept parents, IF they were still in the picture, OR it had been beaten out of 'em by said inept parents. And ALSO often, it seemed to me back then, that those very kids with little to no "self-esteem" would over-compensate their behavior in order to APPEAR to possess that "self-esteem" of which they were sorely lacking.

And one more thing here. It was also my observation back then that the kids who lacked "self-esteem" were the very ones most likely NOT to be able to stand up to peer-pressure and do the right thing when the chips were down.

(...just my two cents here)

StandingBull #490716 05/25/2012 8:13 PM
Ted Offline
Adjunct
Adjunct
I'd hire an untrained employee over a fully trained one, who had had honesty issues. The first can be trained. The second, well....

Last week I called a person who works for our organization four times. She was 'teleworking' Each time, I was told 'she is at the store'. I left my name and phone number each time. Never heard back. I called her at her office on Monday, she picked right up and gave me some lame excuse about how busy she was last week. I was only looking for a job reference for an applicant for one of our jobs. I'm not gonna give her responses much credence.

-W. Zevon

2020 Bud Ekins T100
Dwight #490717 05/25/2012 9:07 PM
Bar Shake
Bar Shake
I agree Dwight.
My three kids have very high self esteem and were taught to value themselves from the git.

Oldest (28) is a case worker for a non-profit that works with mentally challenged (Downs, autism, head injury etc.) students and adults helping them get an education and transition into being self supporting (Talk about some kids being taught self esteem ) by getting and keeping jobs.

Middle (26) is a QA tech for a large internet retailer and has a mechanical engineering degree.

Youngest (24) is a product development scientist (chemical) for a large mining company. Chemistry degree.

And yep, they got all the feel good trophies and the everyone's a winner for participating in sports stuff. Doing your best is what counts, etc. Whatever could be done to build their self esteem was done.

So to reiterate there Dwight, it's the ones with no or little self esteem that seem to be the problem.

Contra todo mal, mezcal; contra todo bien, también
bigbill #490718 05/25/2012 9:16 PM
Second Wind
Second Wind
I think they mean self-esteem with out accomplishment. Yours achieved a goal that gave them esteem earned. I think this whole no score soccer everyone gets a trophy even if ya didn't even try thing is the reference here. They think highly of themself having never done anything of value. Yours earned it...........Apples to chickens brother.

I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. Edgar Allan Poe
Dwight #490719 05/25/2012 9:19 PM
New Tires
New Tires
Quote:

Quote:

Ya know Mac, sometimes I think kickin' this whole "self-esteem movement" and pointing to it as some kind of culprit as to why "kids today have no respect" is somewhat misplaced, and here's why...

It seems to me that when I was a kid, the kids that had the absolute WORSE time understanding the concept of responsible behavior, i.e. teenage pregnancy, drug use, under-age drinking and other criminal behavior, WERE the very freakin' kids who basically had NO "self-esteem". Either it was never taught to 'em by their inept parents, IF they were still in the picture, OR it had been beaten out of 'em by said inept parents. And ALSO often, it seemed to me back then, that those very kids with little to no "self-esteem" would over-compensate their behavior in order to APPEAR to possess that "self-esteem" of which they were sorely lacking.

And one more thing here. It was also my observation back then that the kids who lacked "self-esteem" were the very ones most likely NOT to be able to stand up to peer-pressure and do the right thing when the chips were down.

The trick is teaching discipline, respect for others and a sense of pride in achievement. Self esteem without achievement, no matter how small, is hollow and sets one up for failure. Life is hard.

I do agree treating someone like a dog, all you'll get is a dog.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. H. L. Mencken
MACMC #490720 05/25/2012 9:24 PM
Fe Butt
Online Content
Fe Butt
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The trick is teaching discipline, respect for others and a sense of pride in achievement. Self esteem without achievement, no matter how small, is hollow and sets one up for failure. Life is hard.

I do agree treating someone like a dog, all you'll get is a dog.

+1

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
StandingBull #490721 05/25/2012 9:29 PM
Bar Shake
Bar Shake
No score sports (as though the kids don't keep score, yeah, right ) are a good thing.
It teaches them to enjoy sports. Not everyone is a gifted athlete and those that are move into what's called competitive leagues where they can improve their skills. And yes they keep score.

But to watch a bunch of 4 year olds playing soccer (in fact we called it "bunch ball" because they all want to kick it at the same time) and pretending that the score matters.....well, that's just for the parents (and what a bunch of asshats some of them are ) the kids don't care. When they get older and tired of the no score game, and they all do, they can move on. One way or another.

The_Dog33 #490722 05/25/2012 9:31 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
My boys' best sport was wrestling. Both were high school AA and one just missed it by one match in college. No 'participation' awards on the mat. Win or get your butt kicked.

Smokey3214 #490723 05/25/2012 9:44 PM
Fe Butt
Online Content
Fe Butt
I wrestled in school, took 4th in regionals one year. It was win or lose as it should be. I can see with 4 or 5 year olds not bothering with a score, I know my grand kids would love to just go kick the ball around.

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
bigbill #490724 05/25/2012 10:11 PM
New Tires
New Tires
Quote:

No score sports (as thought the kids don't keep score, yeah, right ) are a good thing.
It teaches them to enjoy sports. Not everyone is a gifted athlete and those that are move into what's called competitive leagues where they can improve their skills. And yes they keep score.

But to watch a bunch of 4 year olds playing soccer (in fact we called it "bunch ball" because they all want to kick it at the same time) and pretending that the score matters.....well, that's just for the parents (and what a bunch of asshats some of them are ) the kids don't care. When they get older and tired of the no score game, and they all do, they can move on. One way or another.

I agree 4 year olds got no business in competitive sports, I mean at that age, if you won it was probably by accident.

StandingBull #490725 05/25/2012 10:54 PM
Bar Shake
Bar Shake
Quote:

I think they mean self-esteem with out accomplishment.

I don't think that exists.

A sense of entitlement isn't the same thing.

Arrogance may be mistaken for self esteem, but it's often the opposite.

No. True self esteem comes from a sense of one's own worth, and that has to be measured. Accomplishments are the plumb bob.
And it starts with "good job, you gave it a try and stuck it out and here's your trophy (accomplishment) for trying, even if you think (maybe rightfully) that you sucked".

bigbill #490726 05/25/2012 11:10 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

Quote:

No. True self esteem comes from a sense of one's own worth, and that has to be measured. Accomplishments are the plumb bob.
And it starts with "good job, you gave it a try and stuck it out and here's your trophy (accomplishment) for trying, even if you think (maybe rightfully) that you sucked".

Well said there, Bill!

And as compared of course to: "You lame freakin' kid! You'll never amount to anything in life. HOW the hell did you ever get involved with drugs, HUH?! SURE, I drink 2 six-packs of beer when I come home from work every night, but what does THAT have to do with YOU here, HUH?!"

(...in OTHER words, while MAYBE I've never had any little freakin' kids of my own and SO the you might think the following is "easy for me to say", SORRY GUYS, but I STILL SAY if one, two OR three of your kids didn't turn out the way you had hoped they would, then LOOK IN THE FREAKIN' MIRROR to see WHO is PROBABLY at fault here!!!)

bigbill #490727 05/25/2012 11:21 PM
New Tires
New Tires
Bill we're all saying the same thing. As you defined "true self esteem", but that is not what is being taught.

Dwight #490728 05/25/2012 11:38 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Btw, after my last post up there, NOW do you see why I decided not to have any kids?

I mean, WHY would I want to bring into the world ANOTHER judgemental know-it-all like ME into it, HUH?!

(...though WOULDN'T it ALSO be EVEN MORE TERRIFIC if MORE freakin' people in this world had the SELF-AWARENESS that I HAVE to hold this VERY SAME philosophy in mind BEFORE they started poppin' those little freakin' brats of theirs out into this world?...HUH???!!!)

MACMC #490729 05/25/2012 11:39 PM
Bar Shake
Bar Shake
Yeah, I get your point Mac. I think we have a confusion of terminology here.

Perhaps the we could call the one you're referring to something like self centeredness, or self importance, or ego-centrism, or conceit, or arrogance, or something that conveys the idea more clearly. (ME,ME, ME)

I think the objection that Dwight raised and I agreed with is that self esteem is not a bad thing, and is in fact a very good thing.

And not wanting to make a religious post but..... A little boy was talking to his Father on the way out of church where the sermon topic had been Jesus' words "Love your neighbor as you love yourself". The boy said to his dad "If someone hates himself, his neighbor's in big trouble".

Last edited by bigbill; 05/25/2012 11:43 PM.

Dwight #490730 05/25/2012 11:45 PM
Bar Shake
Bar Shake
Reminds me of the history channel show "Life After People".

bigbill #490731 05/25/2012 11:52 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Yeah, Bill. I guess you MIGHT have a point there.

I mean, IF there WEREN'T all these people out there poppin' 'em out and without any forethought about the matter and then LATER wonderin' what the hell all went wrong with their kids, then MAYBE our species MIGHT eventually go the way of the Dodo TOO, huh?!

bigbill #490732 05/26/2012 12:33 AM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

And not wanting to make a religious post but..... A little boy was talking to his Father on the way out of church where the sermon topic had been Jesus' words "Love your neighbor as you love yourself". The boy said to his dad "If someone hates himself, his neighbor's in big trouble".

Great line there, Bill!

(...and so true, of course!)

Dwight #490733 05/26/2012 7:20 PM
Ted Offline
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well said there, Bill!

And as compared of course to: "You lame freakin' kid! You'll never amount to anything in life. HOW the hell did you ever get involved with drugs, HUH?! SURE, I drink 2 six-packs of beer when I come home from work every night, but what does THAT have to do with YOU here, HUH?!"

(...in OTHER words, while MAYBE I've never had any little freakin' kids of my own and SO the you might think the following is "easy for me to say", SORRY GUYS, but I STILL SAY if one, two OR three of your kids didn't turn out the way you had hoped they would, then LOOK IN THE FREAKIN' MIRROR to see WHO is PROBABLY at fault here!!!)

Dwight, I think the operative sentence here is "I've never had any little kids"

Ted

Listen to the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzb5Qia-_I0&NR=1&feature=endscreen

-W. Zevon

2020 Bud Ekins T100
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard