Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Bike Dies, then starts after a few minutes
unclecharlie #478426 02/16/2012 9:49 PM
Stacka Offline OP
Oil Expert
OP Offline
Oil Expert
Thanks Charles. It's always good to read another vote thinks I/we are at least heading on the right track.

Yes, this is a bit trying but I'm not planning a trip yet so I can take my time riding round town and the worst that can happen is I get stranded near home.

Then I just use my roadside assistance membership again and I get a free tow home on the back of a flatbed. I tell ya though, this membership has been brilliant cos I've used them about half a dozen times in the last 3 or 4 years. Doesn't say a lot about my speedy but I love it regardless and I'll get all these niggles sorted out eventually. Not a big deal for me anyway. My bike has paid me back way more good times than bad and it'll always stay on that side of the ledger.

So stay tuned for more exciting episodes of stacka and his speedy, ha ha

Staintune Pipes, K&N Pods, 45 pilots, TBS needles and 145 mains.
Stacka #478427 02/17/2012 7:40 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Could it be the CDI? Many of us have had Ignitors go. I
went through 2 (2nd one was used) then got a Procom CDI.
No probs since then. If you can borrow a good Ignitor, swap it
out and see if your trouble goes away.

Steelheart- '03 Speedmaster Black/Yellow The Hayabusa Killa 16" Shorties/140 mains/Airbox drilled Procom CDI "There is no cure for Celibacy. But we can treat the symptoms."
BrianT #478428 02/17/2012 8:04 PM
Stacka Offline OP
Oil Expert
OP Offline
Oil Expert
Gee, the list is getting longer and longer isn't it. Never mind. Lucky for me I have time to take it one step at a time to try and get to the bottom of this one.

What I find interesting about this is, each time a suggestion comes along I think Yeah, that makes sense. Well they all can't be the culprit now can they.

Which brings me to you CDI suggestion. I've just been talking to Eddy about it and I think I might just buy one just because I can and see if that makes any difference. My reasoning is, this cut out thing happened to me when I first got my bike and it only had 6000 kilometres on it. It only did it once but I never forgot it.

Anyway, I've gotta go cos I've just retired from the Fire Brigade (long story) and me and the missus is going to see the movie Descendents, got out for lunch and kick back a bit. talk later my friends

Stacka #478429 02/18/2012 12:16 PM
Worn Saddle
Worn Saddle
My experience with igniter failure was firing on one cylinder only. Your motor quits. I'm going to think its not the igniter. I'd suggest this, think about the last electrical thing you fixed and start there. Look at what might have made that component fail, a remove and replace repair put a new unit in play but may not have addressed the cause.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)
oldroadie #478430 02/18/2012 5:25 PM
Stacka Offline OP
Oil Expert
OP Offline
Oil Expert
Ed, the last repair was putting in the R/R but what makes me think this is not the problem is, my bike cut out on a long ride before I replaced what I might add has been my second R/R.

Anyway, have I mentioned I'm buying another bike in a few months? Don't think I'm selling my Speedy cos whilst I considered it, a mate got my thinking straight when he simply said "but you love your Triumph". What could I say? Mind you sometimes I wonder. It did make me realize i would never forgive myself if I did, but the thing is, if I wanted a serious mile muncher that could do ride dirt roads and cope with some of those goat tracks disguised as black top, a duely better designed for country Australian roads was in order. Haven't decided which one yet but having both bikes will be serious a 'luxury' I reckon I'll be able to cope with. Anyway, if Eddy comes down to see his Aussie buddy, I'm going to need a second bike aren't I?

Geez I can talk ?

moe #478431 03/24/2012 2:46 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Having troubleshot low voltage 'in ground' wiring for twenty years I just had to sign on. I wanted to point out that the brush on electrical sealer DOES NOT make wire connections moisture proof. The wires can be making an apparent physical connection and NOT conduct flow.
Test for continuity across the connection. If no continuity exists, cut it out, clean wire ends and redo the connection. I have never gotten down and looked at the sidestand switch so I can't even describe what you would be looking at! lol.

I'm back outta here.

Ridin' and playin' 'til I can't.
Bluehot #478432 04/01/2012 2:58 AM
Stacka Offline OP
Oil Expert
OP Offline
Oil Expert
Hi again my friends. Yes it's been a few weeks but as usual I've been busy with other pressing issues.

Fwiw, I took my bike for a ride along the same road that I did the last time my bike gave me all the trouble with it stopping and starting again a few minutes later. Well no problems this time. Purred like a kitten the whole way and back again.

This thing is getting to me cos I just don't know how reliable my bike is. I've already opted out of one ride over a weekend because I didn't know how far I was going to get. Then there is another ride my mates from the Fire Brigade have invited me along and I'd love to go on it. Again I don't know if I'll have the same problem of it just stopping on me and of course, then the Triumph jokes start up. My bike's much better than that but this conking out thing is frustrating the h*ll outa me.

Anyway, since my last I'm certain this has to be an electrical problem and nothing to do with fuel. My speedy cut out on both cylinders and it was immediate. Nothing there. Nil.

It made me think whether I have had this problem longer than I'd thought and whether my having to replace my regulator rectifier twice may not be a symptom. Maybe it's simply a coincidence but I just can't think what would make my bike lose complete power, stop and then start again after leaving it for two or three minutes. I've checked what I can but surely this has happened to someone else and I'm not the only poor bast*rd on this forum for it to happen to.

Anyway, again I'm hoping maybe there is someone who may have some more clues to this thing. Btw, I never did get to disconnect the ground wire because it was hard to get to and tight as.

So, If I happen to get a reply from someone who believes I should disconnect the ground wire or any other connection apart, please let me know and I'll do it. I have checked everything else suggested though.

thanks again.

stacka

Stacka #478433 04/01/2012 11:37 AM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Are the components in you kill switch all nice and tight.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bennybmn, chy, mert 

Link Copied to Clipboard