Steve McQueen inspired
by Feral, November 28
GaRally22
GaRally22
by chy, September 18
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Courtesy of a pickup drivin' Harley rider...
#392836 06/21/2010 10:23 PM
Dwight2 Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Soooooo, the wife is on the back of the BA this afternoon as we're headin' out of Cottonwood Arizona and on towards one of the the most beautiful spots in all of America...Sedona.

I pull up behind this scruffy-lookin' dude drivin' this equally scruffy-lookin' old Datsun pickup in the right lane at the second to the last stoplight before you leave Cottonwood along scenic route AZ Hwy-89A. Said scruffy-lookin' dude is jawin' up at the guy sittin' shotgun in this big ol' dump truck that's sittin' in the left lane at this intersection.

The light changed to green about 30 seconds later, and we all took off. The dump truck being a dump truck is of course slower to get up to speed(which I had of course planned on, and thus the reason I pulled behind the scruffy old Datsun and not the dump truck at this red light.

As soon as there was an opening enough to safely change lanes into the left lane, I put on my left blinker and pulled in front of said dump truck, and then I pulled past said scruffy-lookin' dude drivin' his scruffy-lookin' old Datsun pickup in the right lane.

Okay, are you folks still with me here? Okay then, I'll continue.

Now, when I pulled up to the next and last lighted intersection out of Cottonwood, and yep, it was red goin' our way, this scruffy-lookin' dude in that scruffy-lookin' old Datsun pulled up next to me in the right lane and started jawin' with me! And here's how THAT conversation went...

Scruffy Dude: "Hey! You know when you're goin' to change lanes or make a turn, your girl there is supposed to signal with her hands like this!"(he proceeded to lift his arms and then make motions to the left and the right with 'em)

Dwight Argo: "Well, THAT'S certainly interesting! I've never heard THAT before! Thanks for the suggestion."

Scruffy Dude: "Yeah, well, I've been ridin' Harleys for years, and I know these things! And BTW, I had a few Trumpets back in the day. I like the old ones, but I don't like the new ones!"

Dwight Argo: Yeah, well, I have both an older Triumph and this newer one, and I like 'em both. And, I like 'em because all Triumphs have always handled better than any Harley!"

Scruffy Dude: "Well, that's not tru....."

The light changed, and I hit the throttle just as Scruffy Dude tried to get the word "true" out of his mouth.

Ya see, I've learned after 58 years on this planet that occasionally there are just some people who believe what they believe, and no amount of debate is ever going to alter their "beliefs".

(oh and BTW...unfortunately I thought of THIS latter...what I should have maybe said was..."Yeah, well, even though I look a h*ll of a lot younger than you do, I'm actually 58 years old and probably older than you are, AND I've been ridin' motorcycles for 43 years, and I'll bet that's longer than you've been ridin' 'em. And dude, I've NEVER heard that thing about "the girl" signaling for me, especially when these here things have TURN SIGNALS! But, thanks for your opinion!")

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
Re: Courtesy of a pickup drivin' Harley rider...
Dwight2 #392837 06/21/2010 10:31 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
I always had the ol'lady signal but that was on my bikes that had no blinkers. My SM is the first and only bike I ever had with blinkers on it.

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
The_Dog33 #392838 06/21/2010 10:37 PM
Dwight2 Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Yeah Ian, I was kind'a thinkin' the same thing. Maybe "Scruffy" has an old Panhead chopper that doesn't have any turn signals, and thus makes his "b*tch"(I'm guessin' that that's "Scruffy's" vernacular for his "girl"...not mine here, ya know) do the "honors" for him whenever he ATTEMPTS to turn that chopper o' his!!!

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
Dwight2 #392839 06/22/2010 12:00 AM
Stickman Yogi
Stickman Yogi
A Datsun driving, scruffy looking Harley dude. What's this world coming to?

Live to love, love to live.
Keith #392840 06/22/2010 12:15 AM
Dwight2 Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
I know, huh?!

(...though I think after some reflection on this matter, I'm going to give "Scruffy" the benefit of the doubt here Keith...ya see, maybe "Scruffy's" meth lab had just blown up and so he was just venting...yeah, venting...somethin' he probably had forgotten to do to his meth lab...yep, I hear that stuff does need to vent when you're cookin' it up!)

Dwight2 #392841 06/22/2010 12:31 AM
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
I'm pretty sure it's in the Harley owner's manual that you have to use hand signals (either you or your passenger) because, well, you know, it's a harley and the signals are only going to work once in a while.

Dwight2 #392842 06/22/2010 12:32 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Well, at least it was a Datsun and not a Nissan. Nissans really tick off hard core HD riders, eh? Dang trumpet riders. Short time frame for retorts, but next time tell Scruffy AMF and V Rods rule.

06 in Mulberry. AI, Dunstalls, Nology coils, TTP Keep your faith in God, but keep your powder dry. -Oliver Cromwell
Soren #392843 06/22/2010 12:50 AM
Dwight2 Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Quote:

I'm pretty sure it's in the Harley owner's manual that you have to use hand signals (either you or your passenger) because, well, you know, it's a harley and the signals are only going to work once in a while.

Now wait a minute Soren. In THIS case, I think I'm gonna have'ta side with "Scruffy"!

(...uh huh, ya see, I don't ever recall Harley-Davidson Motor Company of Milwaukee WI USA ever outsourcing their turn indicator units from Lucas Electronics LTD of Great Britain, dude!!!)

luvdemstillers #392844 06/22/2010 1:15 AM
Dwight2 Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Quote:

Well, at least it was a Datsun and not a Nissan. Nissans really tick off hard core HD riders, eh? Dang trumpet riders. Short time frame for retorts, but next time tell Scruffy AMF and V Rods rule.

Well, I don't about that either, Ron! Ya see, I'll bet Scruffy would've PROUDLY parked one of those new 370Zs in front of his meth lab IF it hadn't blown sky high!!!
(...the meth lab, that is)

And, while yes, the AMF years are known far and wide as a low-point in H-D's history, I think the V-Rod is a nice bike...well, it WAS a nice bike for the few years(2006-07) when they produced the STREET Rod version of it that actually handled pretty well. But, true to form, because it wasn't "cruiser-ish" enough for the "Faithful", it didn't sell very well, and thus was dropped from the lineup!

(yep...typical, huh?!)

Dwight2 #392845 06/22/2010 7:37 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

Ya see, I've learned after 58 years on this planet that occasionally there are just some people who believe what they believe, and no amount of debate is ever going to alter their "beliefs".

OK, Now back to the scruffy Datsun drivin' Dude.

And you may see me tonight With an illegal smile J. Prine
erle #392846 06/23/2010 5:58 AM
Worn Saddle
Worn Saddle
Mn, there sure are a lot of stereotypes in this thread.... good story, Dwight!

Fidelis et Fortis
arstaren #392847 06/23/2010 9:59 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Wow, I just realized, I'm gonna be the same age as cranky ol' Dwight in a couple months.

Ridin' and playin' 'til I can't.
Bluehot #392848 06/24/2010 5:50 AM
I live in the sun downunder
I live in the sun downunder
Quote:

Wow, I just realized, I'm gonna be the same age as cranky ol' Dwight in a couple months.

I'm 5 years older than DWIGHT22222222, how do you think I feel.

FrankW Ex Speedmaster rider, went to the Dark Side now riding an America.
FrankW #392849 06/24/2010 8:00 AM
Check Pants
Check Pants
Funny story, good point about folks who know what they know.
I was thinking about hand signals the other day, do you think a 20 year old would know what it means?

Al
ssjones #392850 06/24/2010 9:22 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
As a girl try to use hand signal when needed.... oh wait I'm riding my own and not the b**th on back...

Do not look back and ask why, look forward and ask, why not?
ssjones #392851 06/24/2010 11:26 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

Funny story, good point about folks who know what they know.
I was thinking about hand signals the other day, do you think a 20 year old would know what it means?

Only if you're holding your cell phone.

Sono qui per la birra
girlfromIL #392852 06/24/2010 11:43 AM
Dwight2 Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Well folks, I still say a passenger is a passenger, and thus is not responsible for taking on the "duties" of the operator of any vehicle. And mainly because, there is no way that the passenger is going to know the operator's intentions to make a turn or lane change until the operator has already started into it without the operator yelling out to the passenger those intentions each and every time beforehand.

And, this is even IF the vehicle in question is an older pre-1971 motorcycles without turn indicators, because IF you can't take your left hand off the handlebar and make the signal yourself, then maybe you're not a good enough rider to ride the dang motorsickle in the first place!

Weeeell, okay...with MAYBE the possible except of IF your passenger happens to be Clyde here...

...THEN ya might have HIM help ya make those turn signals. All ya'd have to do is in your best Clint Eastwood voice yell out..."RIGHT TURN, CLYDE!!!"

(and of course, the salient point of why I felt compelled to write this here little ditty o' mine up was the friggin' patronizing attitude "Scruffy" seemed to project about all his supposed "Harley ridin' experience" out there...oh, and of course his obvious lack of taste he expressed about the "new" Triumphs!!!)

Dwight2 #392853 06/24/2010 6:56 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Harleys and handsignals reminded me of something, and then Dwight gave me the answer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAygHtnyUqI

Going back to the original post, I've been on bikes, back and front for over 30 years, and I've never heard of the passenger giving the handsignals, nor have I ever seen it done.

Might even be disallowed under the highway code

Too old to die young, too ugly to leave a good looking corpse

Link Copied to Clipboard