Steve McQueen inspired
by Feral, November 28
GaRally22
GaRally22
by chy, September 18
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Law is an A$$ and I'm an idiot response.
#337739 06/12/2009 2:47 PM
Pony Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Thanks to all who responded to my post before it was closed down. I wanted to quickly respond to a couple of yer observations. Disclaimer: The following are only my opinions and are as usual based on only the slightest grip on reality and a limited awareness of the actual facts.

Violence

To those who castogated my approach. You're all right! It was completely wrong, violence is never the right thing to do. In my defense, he had just told my wife that he was going to make her watch as he beheaded my 4 year old daughter. What would any Dad do? I am still an idiot though

Guns
Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Unfortunately, after Hungerford, there was a knee jerk reaction from the government to take guns away from all responsible as well as irresponsible legal gun owners. Perhaps an annual check up with your GP once a year to assess your mental state might have been more rational.

Anyway, it all worked out well for us in the UK. Now we can all sleep safe in the knowledge that the only guns out there are with the kids and criminals or the Police.

Hang on strung out armed intruder, I'll just call the community policewoman round to see if she could call someone with a gun a bit later if thats OK. Fancy a cup of tea while we wait?

Or maybe do what ya do when the baliffs call

Lets face it, they'd never let me near one. If they would and it was legal, then I would have one at home and would probably carry if I was going somewhere dangerous. This is purely because, with gang members and school kids dropping like flies from stab and gun wounds, I now see any potential threat to me must be based on a rational assessment of the risk. "is this a him or me" situation may arise. If thats what I assessed the risk to be, then it's him every time, No hesitation.

A gun is Like a condom. I'd rather have one and not need it than the other way around.

Hammers

When push comes to shove the average man grabs a weapon he is fairly familiar with. Thus the angry mob with pitchforks, or men going into the English (and therefore proper) civil war armed with a whole collection of farm and forestry tools.

I also happen to know based on a love of medieval history, that one of the most favoured melee weapons for close quarters stuff was the humble war hammer 2Ft long, nicely balanced axe/hammer with a neat little spike for getting up under enemy plate armour. My humble Halfords hammer was nothing in comparison. I do use it a lot though and I'm familiar with it's grip, weight and balance, It's head is good for defensive hooking of an enemy weapon and therefore a fair choice of concealed weapon with which to defend against poor swordplay in a confined space.

I asked the copper if he would have gone in there knowing how he was armed without their batons and gas and they said no.

The Police

Not all coppers are bad! I know this to be true! I've met many and worked alongside them for many years. Commander Ron McPherson and I have had many a chat over coffee on the state of the world in general. It's a thankless job, Lots of people mistrust or even dislike them (even decent law abiding folk)just because of the job they do. Somebody has to do it, if they didn't we'd all be in the creek lookin for a paddle. At least they aren't traffic wardens!

Yes mine was a typical reaction of someone who feels hard done by, as our officer member pointed out. You all know I spend most of the time feelin hard done by anyway, so situation normal

However, I have a history of asking them for help and not getting anywhere

I was kept in a glass fronted cell, wearin a paper smurf suit all day, (for my own protection )but the Police didn't bother to call out my mental health worker, though I asked for her every time they asked me who I wanted them to call. All the time my wife sat in reception with our two children and the drug dealers friends and family and we were both refused contact for 12 hours. whilst the Drug dealer was released quickly, following the statements of his family and friends who had all sat in reception, getting their story straight together loudly for some time.

The sword, wasn't fingerprinted, which would doubtless have had his dabs all over it. Instead they accepted his story that he'd never seen it before as it was just less hassle to get me to accept a caution than it was to do their job properly and show a little compassion for all of the victims.

Dealers

For those of you kind enough to ask, no I can't get you any if it had escaped your attention, I've knocked my supplier on the head. I wouldn't supply to anybody anyway, fellas, cos thats wrong and I'm too pretty to go to Prison!

For those of you kind enough to offer, no thanks

What ever happend to the dealer who was just some old hippy bloke, who cared about the qualities of his product, often grew his own just as house plants. You'd go in and have a smoke with him fer free and come away with some nice gear.

Nowadays, everythings mobiles, orders cycled to you by kids and twenty something pot dealers who are all wanna be gangsters who seem to want to stab you or each other at the drop of a hat. They skim the deals every time, spray glass on gear to make it look THC rich and generally go out of their way to irritate the cr@p out of everyone within a 2 mile radius. It's time somebody did something about it! Maybe those of you out there in certain of the more organised clubs already have these muppets on your radars. It's a pitty that there is no one out there carrying out some form of service in the communities which support them.

Not getting rid of it, cos it's never gonna happen and if you can't beat it, at least make sure it's safe. Like making sure punters get a fare deal, dont have glass on their weed and can buy in friendly and safe environment without feeling intimidated Etc Etc

Rant over, Carry on Chaps. For those of you who cared, for those who din't to you too.

The path of excess leads to the Palace of Wisdom
Re: The Law is an A$$ and I'm an idiot response.
Pony #337740 06/12/2009 3:43 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Eeh, I was never really worried about ya there Simon! Especially with that sense of humor of yours as displayed above!

(glad everything worked out for the best here!)

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)
Pony #337741 06/12/2009 3:57 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

Guns
Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

It's not guns or people...

It's those darn bullets!!

I live in a state where gun ownership is quite common. The local City politicains tried to pass a ban about 10 years ago. The referendum was voted down by a large margin and all of the supporters got voted out of office. Hasn't come up since...

ArGee 14 Thunderbird LT Wasn't sure if Red or Black was faster, so I got a Red & Black one...
ArGee #337742 06/12/2009 4:31 PM
Simon, as one of the aforementioned coppers, I cant say that I blame you and that I would not have done the same. I am glad you are back with your family and they are all allright. That father's protective instinct is a strong thing that often times cannot be overridden.

Rick

Pony #337743 06/12/2009 6:46 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

A gun is Like a condom. I'd rather have one and not need it than the other way around.

?

Lets see;
"I have one but don't need it..."?
or
"I need one, but don't have one"

This opinion is definitly open to debate on a case by case basis!

And you may see me tonight With an illegal smile J. Prine
erle #337744 06/12/2009 10:54 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Yep, bad comparison eh Erle?

mike

2006 neon blue speedmaster
Pony #337745 06/13/2009 6:32 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
simon if ya goin t dent ide like t buy ya a pint. youv bin throu a lot and ya sound like a decent bloke.as for organised clubs lookin out fer dickeads i couldnt possibly comment haha.all th best mate.

Link Copied to Clipboard