Next Thread
Print Thread
New HJC helmets with inner visor?
#330195 05/06/2009 5:49 AM
JimF Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Anyone bought one? Comment or complaints?

Jim F

Jim F Salisbury NC/York SC "Are you a Mod or a Rocker?" "No, I'm a Mocker!"
Re: New HJC helmets with inner visor?
JimF #330196 05/06/2009 8:10 AM
Check Pants
Check Pants
I saw those in a magazine and that looks real handy. I have the Scorpion 3/4 helmet which has shield options. I bought a dark shield, but it's a hassle swapping. It would be great to not even need to remember sunglasses.

Al
JimF #330197 05/06/2009 8:55 AM
JimF Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Same situation here. I wear glasses and use a 3/4 helmet with full face shield. I either use my dark shield and carry my clear for when it gets dark, or I use my clear shield and use my prescription sunglasses when needed. Both ways are not a real pain, just not convenient. So I'm thinking these helmets might do the trick.

I did try on a full face model a couple of weeks ago, just to see what it was like. But when I flipped the inner visor down, it left between a 1/4 and 1/2 inch gap at the bottom. Just enough to be distracting and annoying. I've since found out that there is a second stage to it, that fills that gap. I'm going to swing by that dealer again and check that out.

Anyway, my question was a shot in the dark, as they are fairly new. Just thought there was a chance someone did have one and could give a little feedback.

Jim F

JimF #330198 05/06/2009 9:53 AM
3/4 Throttle
3/4 Throttle
I saw Big Poppy with one at the GA rally and I tried one on at Moto400 when we took a ride down there. I've been looking at the modulars with inner visors and the HJC might be my next helmet. The visor came down to my nose so there wasn't a gap unlike the Zox helmet that snkeptp recently picked up. I was really looking hard at the Zox but the gap is a big turn off for me. I also wear glasses and both inner visors didn't interfere but the Zox pads made my glasses sit a little higher (couldn't slide the arms of my glasses further down). The only things that bothered me about the HJC were the venting (I'd like it to have more) and the spring-loaded release for the inner visor. When you hit the release it snaps up into the helmet. It's not a jarring snap that will give you whiplash but if the catch that holds the visor in place when it's deployed breaks then the visor won't stay down. I may be worrying about nothing but it's still a concern for me. All the other inner visors I've seen are simply controlled by a lever that you move to the desired position. Fitment seemed good, I wear an Arai Quantum (F or S, can't remember which) size XL and the XL HJC fit me fine (Large HJC was a bit tight).

EnglishYankee #330199 05/06/2009 5:12 PM
I have the solid HJC with the sun visor. It is excellent. I have a clear shield so I am good to go. I had Lasic so I don't need glasses or contacts. I did put that dark plastic visor about 1 inch wide at the inner top of my shield. It keeps that low sun from blinding me. The release catch is easy to operate while riding with gloves. It has not broken in a years worth of use. The handle that lowers the visor works well also. I would not have a helmet without this feature. I started wearing earplugs for the wind noise. They say it can cause deafness.

2008 BA, Ageon Blue, roadster shield, light bar. tach, big bags, square engine guard, short sissy with rack. All Triumph parts. No mods.
JimF #330200 05/06/2009 8:18 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
This could be a review of the HJC you're talking about.....

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/fs-max/

"You're a long time underground!"
Shutterbug #330201 05/08/2009 7:21 PM
I have had the HJC Symax 2 since September. It is the modular with the inner visor. I think it is great, but the plastic that mounts the locking mechanism for the flip up face is a bit weak. I use the visor all the time, and occasionaly wear sunglasses underneath and have no problems. I find the modular a bit noisier than standard full face helmets though.

Rick

Shamus #330202 05/08/2009 10:51 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
I just got mine this week. used it 3 days now and love the inner visor, the way it fits and the ease the chin bar opens compared to my vega summit. It is almost as noisy as the summit but that's a modular for you. Hopefully I won't find anything to complain about later. It is fiberglass with a plastic chin bar but I can't tell the difference yet.

mike

2006 neon blue speedmaster
mike57 #330203 05/09/2009 9:13 AM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
We now have 2 Symax II's in the house. My wife borrowed mine until she could find a helmet she really liked. She tried on everything for 2 months and decided she liked the symax 2 the best. Personally the inner visor isn't dark enough. I put a tint band on the outer visor at the top, and one on the inner visor at the top too.
This gives me a total of 3 levels of tint, without having to put my sunglasses on.
I love my HJC EXCEPT it is noisey, and in a full thunderstorm you will get water in your helmet. Not a lot, but drips here and there as the vents don't fully seal it out.

Clay

01010100 01110010 01101001 01110101 01101101 01110000 01101000 <3
JimF #330204 05/24/2009 8:47 AM
JimF Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Bought the HJC IS-33 3/4 helmet with inner visor and after using it this past week I have to say, for me, it's a winner. It's quieter than my old helmet, and actually more comfortable, even right out of the box. Venting, although not great, i2 still better than my old helmet, and this is a 3/4, so venting isn't the same issue as a full face helmet.

Only criticisms are the inner visor could be darker, as someone else mentioned, and I'm not crazy about how fast and hard the inner visor snaps up. For that, however, I've gotten myself in the habit of holding it with 2 fingers as I push the release button, and easing it up. Obviously, can't do that safely while riding , but that will most likely be only a once in a while occurrence.

JimF #330205 05/25/2009 12:24 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I might have to try one. I've got a Nolan n-103 with inner-visor. My complaint is that the front (clear) visor never fogs up thanks to the anti-fog system. But on even moderately cold days, the inner (dark) visor fogs up EASILY. I end up keeping the visor open until I get moving and then putting it down once I'm moving... then, I have to put it back up again at stop lights. It's a bit of a pain to say the least.

2003 Speedmaster Red/Black FREAK, AI removed, Emgo Shorties, NH Peg relocation, Progressive suspension (front and back).
LanceD #330206 05/25/2009 8:04 AM
Check Pants
Check Pants
Saturday, I rode with a guy wearing this Scorpion, with a flip down shield. He loves it. $109 at HelmetCity.com

http://www.helmetcity.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=exo100bk

Al
ssjones #330207 05/25/2009 10:36 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

Saturday, I rode with a guy wearing this Scorpion, with a flip down shield. He loves it. $109 at HelmetCity.com

I just bought this helmet on Thursday. Have been on 2 rides with it. Usually I wear an HJC Open Face helmet which fits me very well. ....the Scorpion seems to have more of a round shape to the bucket and is not as comfortable as the HJC. The drop down shield comes down low enough, keeps wind off my eyes, but is a light tint, so sun glasses are still a must. The shield does not rattle in the wind. The ear pad section is separate from the inner padding, so the connecting point rubs a bit on the top of my ears. There are pockets in the ear pieces for audio speakers. All in all, I'd say it's a pretty good 1/2 helmet.

ssjones #330208 06/04/2009 12:37 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
After i dropped my HJC SY-MAX yesterday and breaking part of a hinge, i decided to git me a shiny new helmet. So today i bought a new HJC IS-MAX. I think this is the one you're asking about. Of course it's raining today and i'm in the cage, but i plan to ride several hundred miles this weekend, and should be ready to give a review on Monday.

Howbeit when He, the Spirit of truth, is come; He will guide you in all truth:
mrt202 #330209 06/08/2009 7:47 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
I rode about 300 miles with the new IS-MAX on Saturday and here are my observations. The fit is and finish are better than the Sy-Max i wore previously. The chinbar is a little farther from my chin (a good thing!)and the pivoting action and latch feel are smoother and feel more solid than the Sy-Max too. The noise level seems about the same. I would imagine that most, if not all modular helmets are bound to be somewhat noisier than a regular full face helmet. I broke down and put earplugs in for the last 50 miles and voila!, almost absolute silence! Ventilation is fair, due mostly to the air coming up under the chin bar. I have yet to feel any mentionable ventilation in any helmet, regardless of the brand, size, or location of the "vents". I suspect they are mostly for looks. It was pretty hot and humid, but my head wasn't particularly sweaty whenever i stopped, so i'd have to say that there is a degree of venting going on. The internal visor is easy to operate, though modestly tinted. I found that i could comfortably wear shades and employ the visor at the same time. Very nice when riding into the sun! In the fully lowered position,(2 positions available) i felt like the visor was too close to the bridge of my nose, and somewhat sharp edged, which meant the helmet had to be rotated up slightly to keep it from rubbing my nose. I may try using a Dremel tool and a small piece of tubing to correct the fit for me at a later date. The detents for the shield worked well enough to ride at nearly any speed with the shield in any position, and when it's closed, it wouldn't open itself if you turned your head at higher speeds like the Sy-Max does. It is pretty comfortable to ride with the shield fully open and the visor down, but you risk getting a bug or sand in your eyes due to turbulence.
Overall, i'm pleased with the helmet, and i feel like it is a really good deal for $200.00

Last edited by mrt202; 06/08/2009 7:53 PM.
mrt202 #330210 06/16/2009 9:13 PM
Check Pants
Check Pants
This new Scorpion convertible looks pretty cool. Full face, 3/4 with or without the visor.
http://shopping.scorpionusa.com/C55D9C02...0C745551B84878E

The photo shoot video is also very informative....
http://exposureroom.com/members/ScorpionExo.aspx/assets/cdcde97d9d3443019bc0052195040200/

Last edited by ssjones; 06/16/2009 9:22 PM.

Al
Shutterbug #330211 06/17/2009 4:38 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

Quote:

I just bought this helmet on Thursday. Have been on 2 rides with it. Usually I wear an HJC Open Face helmet which fits me very well. ....the Scorpion seems to have more of a round shape to the bucket and is not as comfortable as the HJC. The drop down shield comes down low enough, keeps wind off my eyes, but is a light tint, so sun glasses are still a must. The shield does not rattle in the wind. The ear pad section is separate from the inner padding, so the connecting point rubs a bit on the top of my ears. There are pockets in the ear pieces for audio speakers. All in all, I'd say it's a pretty good 1/2 helmet.

Don,

I've been interested in this helmet for a while. How accurate is the sizing? Would you say the it's typical or larger/smaller than typical?

Greg

12 Rocket Roadster
03 Bonneville America
69 BSA Firebird Scrambler
73 Yamaha TX 750
Gregger #330212 06/19/2009 9:51 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Hi Greg...sorry I didn't reply sooner. Was in Algonquin Park feeding the bugs! I wear an HJC open face helmet that is a large and is very comfortable. The large Scorpion was a bit too loose in the dealership, so purchased a medium. Glad I got the medium as it wobbles a slight bit on my head when under speed, so the large would have been too big. Not 100% happy with the fit as the bowl cushions and ear pieces are separate and join right at the top of my ears, so there's some chaffing there. Needs to be smoothed out with a bit of foam, etc. I love the look of the helmet and the drop down shield is great for keeping wind off my eyes, but it's not very dark and sunglasses are still a must. Will post some pix of the inside tomorrow. Don

Shutterbug #330213 06/20/2009 9:24 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Thanks Don... I have 2 XL GMAX helmets that fit perfect and a CANOP XL that's a bit tight. I guess the Scorpion XL would fit fine.

12 Rocket Roadster
03 Bonneville America
73 Yamaha TX 750
Gregger #330214 06/21/2009 5:37 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Here's a pix of the helmet liner and ear pad that cause me a bit of chaffing at the top of my ears. I haven't used the helmet with the ear muffs removed, so don't know how it would feel in that mode. Being used to an open faced helmet , I find this 1/2 helmet very noisy. Good luck with your order. And by the way....love the look of your new wheels. Don

Shutterbug #330215 06/29/2009 7:34 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
I bought the HJC 3/4 with the drop down shield last week and just got back from a 500 mile trip. It fit me better than the Scorpion 200. I'm kinda glad I bought the HJC as I don't want to have to carry other visors around when I want tinted or not tinted. I'll probably only use this helmet on trips as I prefer a 1/2 helmet around town. I really wanted a better helmet for the highway and can't stand full helmets. I feel the HJC is a winner. BUT, I would go where I could try both on. The local Suzuki dealer stocked both and I bought mine there after extensive trying on.

Bob 2005 America, 904cc - sold. 2014 Trophy SE.
JimF #330216 07/08/2009 5:39 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
My girlfriend is riding with the HJC helmet with the inner visor and is thrilled. She wears glasses and finds the shaded lens doesn't interfere at all and is darned handy in bright sunlight. She had a big fly up under the shade when she didn't have the clear visor down last week, so she's a convert to keeping it down! No troubles with the slide and release for the shaded lens in about three months with zero problems. She likes the level of shading just fine.

John ============================ "The difference between an ordeal and an adventure is planning" - Charles Hutchins 2008 TBA / Black / NCHD Windscreen / Saddlebags / De-Baffled Pipes / Flat Black Console
JimF #330217 08/06/2009 4:44 PM
JimF Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
As I posted earlier, I bought my HJC IS-33 back in mid May. Didn't get a lot of riding in for the 1st few weeks, but have since then.

I have no complaints with this helmet at all. It fits me very well, is comfortable and doesn't seem heavy. The inner shaded shield is enough darkness for me, but some will wish it were darker. The retraction mech is still working as good as when it was knew.

I've done 2 round trips (350+ miles each way) since I got it. The 1st trip was fairly leisurely, lengthy stops along the way, both directions.

The 2nd trip was basically time constrained, so stops were minimal. On the way up, 2 10 minute stops and one 20 min. meal stop. Trip back was three 10 min. stops only, and 1st one, didn't even remove helmet. After each leg of both trips, helmet wasn't bothering me at all.

Anyway, most who buy one won't regret it.

JimF #330218 08/06/2009 4:59 PM
I use the full face HJC with the inner visor. It works very well. i also added that on inch tint shade at the top of the other visor. that thing is great for low sun.

2008 BA, Ageon Blue, roadster shield, light bar. tach, big bags, square engine guard, short sissy with rack. All Triumph parts. No mods.
Shutterbug #330219 10/05/2009 9:05 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

Just dropped in at GP Bikes in Ajax and picked up a silver one of these. Had to go with an XXL as the XL was tight. They currently have a sale on the helmets in stock and the fellow let me have it for $129. Best price I've seen in Canada yet. (The worst was $177 in Ottawa)

12 Rocket Roadster
03 Bonneville America
73 Yamaha TX 750

Moderated by  chy, freedom, moe 

Link Copied to Clipboard