Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Motorcycles and hypocites
#326950 04/19/2009 10:41 AM
3/4 Throttle
OP Offline
3/4 Throttle
In today's Austin rag is a front page story on the metro section about two people driving down a busy road who saw "...motorcyclist traveling at 65 mph accompanied by WHAT APPEARED to be a child of 4 years old HANGING ON FOR DEAR LIFE." The emphasis is mine. The story goes on to explain there is no law in Texas about children riding on motorcycles and this dear couple of concerned citizens are trying to get a law passed to limit the age a child can ride on a motorcycle. This couple just happen to be professional lobbyists.

This year the telco industry lobbyist will defeat the driving while talking on a cell phone which is a much bigger threat to not only motorcyclists but bicyclists, pedestrians and drivers.

And funny thing is no one mentioned this from CNN

(CNN) -- Five children drowned in a Houston, Texas, bayou Saturday after the car they were riding in veered off the road, police said.

An adult passenger told police the driver -- the father of four of the victims -- was DISTRACTED BY A CELL PHONE call that he answered, Houston police Officer John Cannon told CNN. The Lincoln Towncar went down an embankment and into the Green Bayou, he said.

The driver, who was not immediately identified, got out of the car. The adult passenger, who police said was the driver's brother, also escaped and rescued a 10-year-old girl from the vehicle, Cannon said.

The five children killed in the accident were identified as two girls, ages 1 and 3, and three boys, ages 4, 6 and 7.

Cannon said the driver failed a field sobriety test and was taken to police headquarters for a mandatory blood sample. Criminal charges could be filed against the driver depending on the outcome of the blood sample.

Last edited by redbike7; 04/19/2009 10:43 AM.

Redbike7 2006 America No amount of skill can overcome gross stupidity. Ask me how I know...never mind, I forgot...
Re: Motorcycles and hypocites
redbike7 #326951 04/19/2009 10:47 AM
Worn Saddle
Worn Saddle
I'm not sue if this is an anti-moron-nanny stater-lobbyist thread or an anti "cell phone while driving" thread. Either way, I'm against both of them!

Fidelis et Fortis
arstaren #326952 04/19/2009 11:23 AM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
I used to ride one of my girl friend's kids on the back of my chopper when he was about 5. I used to run a bungee cord from one sneaker to the other across my lap to make sure his feet didn't go near the wheel or chain. I hooked it to his shoe laces. He loved it and couldn't get enough. We used to go all over the place like that. He always held on tight and did as I instructed. He was small so probably appeared to be hanging on for dear like but the huge grin would have indicated a different picture.

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
Eat right ,Exercise ,Stay fit, Die Anyway!
redbike7 #326953 04/19/2009 1:30 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
People ! a cell phone using cager ...even saw a guy on his Kawi Nomad dialing and THEN talking on his cell phone WHILE on a ride !!! and those nanny-holics....I went to my local tea-party the 15th ...just made me more mad and now I've written letters to all my "punk" State and Federal reps imploring them to stop, grab a smoke and chill with this spending and taking of my hard earned cash....

The_Dog33 #326954 04/19/2009 1:46 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
thats awesome...I have been trying to get my niece to go...at 3years old she wanted to wait till she was 4...at 4 years old she wants to wait till she's 5....at 5 years old she just told me she wanted to wait till 6 or 7...and said my bike is too loud....but she agreed to let me take her on her granpa's gold wing...so when the weather is good and the bike is actually in the garage im going to take her for a cruise...I am going to put her inbetween me and her mom so she can't go anywhere

ScottS #326955 04/19/2009 2:10 PM
Worn Saddle
Worn Saddle
My "old" Trumpet has the chrome luggage rack on the tank. When my grandson was three or so, he would come running out of the house as I came up the block, yelling "ride, ride, ride!" He would sit in front of me, curling his little fingers through the rack, and grinning with the greatest delight as I tooled slowly around the block. Later, the State took him away from our delinquet daughter, and we've never seen him again. But I'll bet that when he is of age, he'll be looking for a motorcycle!

Fidelis et Fortis
arstaren #326956 04/19/2009 2:57 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

My "old" Trumpet has the chrome luggage rack on the tank. When my grandson was three or so, he would come running out of the house as I came up the block, yelling "ride, ride, ride!" He would sit in front of me, curling his little fingers through the rack, and grinning with the greatest delight as I tooled slowly around the block. Later, the State took him away from our delinquet daughter, and we've never seen him again. But I'll bet that when he is of age, he'll be looking for a motorcycle!

That is both cool and sad, I remember the stuff you told me about that situation. I love my grandkids to death and can't wait to be able to take them for rides. They are 2 now and I had Damian on my bike last summer around the back yard slowly, he loved it but still to young to understand so I can take him out on the road. He also loves to ride on the lawn mower when I cut the grass.

I learned all I need to know about life by killing smart people and eating their brains.
The_Dog33 #326957 04/19/2009 5:55 PM
It's crazy, kids gotta be in seats, boosters and various other gadgets in the car until they're almost teenagers, meanwhile I can slap an ill-fitting helmet on them and they can ride behind all they want. My cousin asked me to give his son a ride because it was easier than getting him all strapped in. I don't like giving kids rides though, guy here in town was giving rides to kids at a birthday party and got hit by a car who "didn't see him" and killed the kid. I couldn't live with myself in that situation.

God give me work, until my life shall end And life, until my work is done.
scraptown #326958 04/19/2009 6:04 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Can't blame yourself for something like that. Now if you do something negligent that results in the kids death that's different. I wouldn't want to give someone elses kid a ride but I knew the little boy that was riding with me very well and he was able to follow my directions and ride safely. I could put my grandkids on now but it wouldn't be reasonably safe so it is too soon.

scraptown #326959 04/19/2009 6:17 PM
3/4 Throttle
OP Offline
3/4 Throttle
My point is that a kid-or anyone-is no safer in a car than on a motorcycle if the driver of the vehicle is driving under the influence of answering a cell phone, booze or whatever they are doing rather than driving. Driving or riding should be a 100% full time job. RE: The kids in Houston.

And I bet a dollar to a dough nut the first thing these 'concerned citizens' did was grab their cell phone and call the police while they were driving down the road at 65 mph, immediately becoming a menace to the motorcycle and the people around them.

But I'm sure they would consider themselves good drivers and up right citizens. I don't advocate kids riding on motorcycles either way-that has to be the parents choice. But I hate people not driving safely because they are a threat to me.

Last edited by redbike7; 04/19/2009 6:18 PM.

Redbike7 2006 America No amount of skill can overcome gross stupidity. Ask me how I know...never mind, I forgot...
redbike7 #326960 04/19/2009 9:06 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I think here the law is that your pillion has to be able to reach the foot peg`s , makes sence

What goes round comes round
boof #326961 04/19/2009 9:08 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
+So if you move the foot pegs way up the 3 yr old is cool?

The_Dog33 #326962 04/19/2009 9:13 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I suppose so , not really sure about that , when my kids were little i decided if it was safe or not but now day`s my grand kids are ruled by there parents and so am i

What goes round comes round
boof #326963 04/19/2009 10:46 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Im sorry I have to be the one who is against the kids riding, if its for you and your responsible then go for it, but don't ask me to agree with it. Just my opinion, to each his own.

You! Off My Planet!
boof #326964 04/19/2009 10:56 PM
PES Offline
Bar Shake
Bar Shake
I think at the very least the law should require all cars/trucks to be set up with hands free cell capability like Microsoft Sync. At least a driver's hands would be on the wheel and eyes on the road, even though there mind is somewhere else. Other then that ban um. I don't even carry a cell phone unless I go on a trip for emergencies. As far as bungee strapping a 5 year old to you on your chopper ...that could only come from the Dog.

"Catching a yellow jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary" Author unknown
PES #326965 04/19/2009 11:01 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Hey Hey wait, I didn't bungie the kid to my chopper.

I bungied him to me.

PES #326966 04/19/2009 11:01 PM
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
Interesting that this subject came up, I just took my 11 year old son for his first motorcycle ride on Saturday. He has a full face helmet, and I explained the principles of riding to him before we went. He held on the whole time, and I must admit, it was a little different having his helmet hit me in the middle of my back between every shift! I think he liked it, at least he said he did. He's not too interested in bikes though, hopefully that changed with the ride.

Always remember to be yourself. Unless you suck. Then pretend to be someone else.
livinginh #326967 04/19/2009 11:09 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
I took my 3 y/o for a ride around the neighborhood yesterday before I loaded it up on the trailer and left. Both my kids love it. I have taken my nephews too. I have never taken any of them outside a residential neighborhood.

What gets me....

mandatory seatbelt laws and carseats and boosterseats...
unless its big and yellow.

and then there is the "greatest generation" cruising the highways in their motorhomes and usually pullong another vehicle. AND these this are the size of a tour bus or semi and there is no CDL or special license required?

Stewart ....... "It's outside your field of expertise." "Poppycock normally is."
roundy77 #326968 04/19/2009 11:15 PM
Check Pants
Check Pants
I guess these days are over...

Al
roundy77 #326969 04/19/2009 11:17 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Some of those big campers have air brakes too. Are they required to have the air brake endorsement and pass the preflight inspection?

ssjones #326970 04/19/2009 11:18 PM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Quote:

I guess these days are over...

What? They all have helmets.

arstaren #326971 04/19/2009 11:27 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Quote:

I'm not sue if this is an anti-moron-nanny stater-lobbyist thread or an anti "cell phone while driving" thread. Either way, I'm against both of them!

Are you an anarchist? I'm only asking because Libertarians generally understand that placing people in danger violates their rights. Penalizing those who do so is one of the few moral justifications for the existence of government. Of course, it might be that you're neither an anarchist nor a Libertarian, in which case the confusion is all mine.

'08 America Blue/White; Custom Headlamps, Custom Lowers, Clearview 20", Bafflectomy
roadworthy #326972 04/19/2009 11:37 PM
PES Offline
Bar Shake
Bar Shake
Yeah I started my son, Stephen, out when I first bought the TBA and he was 10. We went on several short rides then we went from Tulsa to Springdale Ark. about 90 minutes. It was a little too much for him, we had to stop often and one time he started to cry and I didn't even know it. We stayed at a motel and the second day was better for him. Of course the stock passenger pillion really sucks for anyone no matter how old. I would probably cry too if I had to ride back there. We stayed all night at a motel and the second day was better for him. Maybe that is why he said he never wants to own a mc. He did mention that he might like to take the MS safety course, so there is hope.

"Catching a yellow jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary" Author unknown
The_Dog33 #326973 04/20/2009 12:48 AM
I'm just saying I won't have kids on the back of my bike. My dad had me on the back fender of his homemade trump chopper. I have fond memories, and his bike inspired me to buy my triumph, and my America inspired him to get back into riding after 25 years(he bought an America). I understand the risks of riding, and I won't involve a child, because, if God forbid, something happens, even if it's not my fault, I would forever ask myself if I could have done something different. I've ridden all my life, I know I'm good, but unfortunately, I'm at the mercy of the worst drivers on the road.

scraptown #326974 04/20/2009 12:55 AM
Fe Butt
Fe Butt
Can't live life afraid of what might happen or you miss out on so much. I can't wait to share many things including riding with my grand kids. Like I said at not quite 2 we already rode the back yard and he loved it. The risk is worth the joy.

That is not to say anyone should take an unwarranted risk, if I thought I was doing something that would injure my grand kids I would obviously not do it. But in the case of riding I feel it an acceptable risk when the time comes. Either that or duct tape them to the sissy bar if I get impatient!

The_Dog33 #326975 04/20/2009 1:20 AM
My job is to work energized powerlines, I'll work from 120 volts to 69,000 volts hot day to day, up to 345,000 volts energized just so folks don't have the inconvenience of resetting their alarms. I understand risk assessment, I don't live afraid. I show up to work, just like riding, trained and ready to do my job, but sometimes, no matter how good I am, sh!t happens, and I won't have a child with me when body parts start hitting the ground.

redbike7 #326976 04/20/2009 2:50 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Every time some idiot does something wrong the first reaction is to pass legislation. FAIL. As long as the rider is licensed and child is in no immediate danger who cares.

I recall being enticed into a race yeas ago with some clown. Things moved from a short sprint on an empty dual carriage way to serious single lane stupidity. He starts taking risks trying to pass me,big speed, tailgating slower cars ect. He repasses me and I catch him at the light, there I see a kid in a child seat. What an idiot.

It's about responsibility and appropriate behaviour at the appropriate time

...yes, that is a single seat...no, I will not put the other seat on...yes, I am selfish...yes, you should buy your own bike
Keets #326977 04/20/2009 3:10 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Don't look now, but

I'm pretty sure the guy in the white shirt is the grim reaper
come to take the kid.

Looks like maybe Mom is donning the Michael Jackson magic glove of
whupass to knock him back

I miss the 60s...

redbike7 #326978 04/20/2009 8:52 AM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
I saw some guy on his bike yesterday riding down our busiest street while chatting on his cell phone. Tank top, no helmet, shades, and his cell phone. Good luck with that pal.

In Between the Dark and the Light..
scraptown #326979 04/20/2009 9:20 AM
moe Offline
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
Faraday cages notwithstanding yep you are a risk assessor. When I roll with the grandkids riding pillion, well it is around the block, slow, and very controlled. Anytime a child wants to, and will be responsive to your instructions, they should. Hunt, Fish, ride pillion, etc. What is scary is that OHV's for kids have been banned from sale. This effects all children. Protecting them from ingesting lead. Talk about George Orwell. Now Junior, would you stop munching on that wheel weight? Jeez. I got some purty red paint in my barn that taste a whole lot better. Let parents raise their children. Government can't govern itself let alone the day to day minutia of those governed.

Blowing gravel off rural roads
moe #326980 04/20/2009 10:26 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
My first ride on a motorcycle was when I was 8 on a Honda Z50. My father slapped a helmet on my head and I climbed on by myself and I turned the throttle. My ride lasted 20 sec or so until I ran in to the bushes. The best 20 sec. of my life . Forget riding kids around. Buy them a motorcycle and let them experence the real thrill. They start kids younger today.

Kendall "When you drink the water, remember the man who dug the well." Chinese proverb 2008 America Pacific/Aegean blue w/long slash cut TOR's, and stock carbs rejetted.
PES #326981 04/20/2009 10:48 AM
Old Hand
Old Hand
Quote:

I think at the very least the law should require all cars/trucks to be set up with hands free cell capability like Microsoft Sync.

Even better, make all vehicles with a cell phone jammer that only allows phone operation when the vehicle is parked and the engine shut off. There are just too many people who can't run their mouth and drive at the same time whether they are holding the phone or not.

Those bleeding heart people would have had a heart attack some 25 years ago. I had a cat back then that loved to ride around Hollywood on my shoulder. I made her a special harness and short leash to keep her safe if she fell off, but it was never needed. I would start the bike and she would stand by the screen door begging to go. If I called her, she would run out, scramble up my pants leg and up onto my shoulder. She only complained twice. On the first ride on the street, she started yowling in my ear when we came to a stopsign because she wanted to keep going, and once on the way home because she had to go to the sandbox.

Let's hope there's intelligent life somewhere in space 'cause it's buggar all down here. -- Monte Python
Greybeard #326982 04/21/2009 3:28 PM
I cant remember how young I was when I first started riding with my dad on his old Triumph. My 12 year old daughter rides with me when the weather is warm. I bought the sissy bar just for her. I have to admit, getting used to our helmets banging together now and again took some getting used to.

Rick

Link Copied to Clipboard