Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Windscreen Summary
Phaedrus #305466 04/17/2009 10:24 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Another option (at least for an America) is the Sportech Screens which clamp on to the handlebars. You have to bend back the speedo a bit to make if fit, but no big deal. I do not have any pictures and don't own a digital camera. However if you go on their web site, you can see pictures of them mounted on other bikes. They ask you to measure the distance between the outside of the handlebar clamps - if its between 4 and 5 inches they recommend one model and if its between 5 and 6 inches they recomend another model. The distance on the BA was exactly 5 inches, so I ordered the model for 5 - 6 in spacing. The only issue is that then the screen clamps are then mounted on a part of the bar that is starting to curve and this makes the mounting slightly imperfect. Not sure if the model for 4 - 5 inch spacing would fit better.

gilligan #305467 04/17/2009 3:58 PM
I have the same shield Paedrus bought. I have had it since Oct. I'm 6'3" and have no buffeting issues. It was so nice this past weekend, I popped it off and rode without. It takes a second with a slight tug. It sure made riding this winter a bit nicer. I thought FastEddy was going to start carrying the line.

Rick

gilligan #305468 04/17/2009 4:35 PM
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
+1 on the Sportech screen. I had one on my Speedmaster. I never tried another for purposes of comparison, but in my opinion it was just a good compromise solution. First it wasn't too big, but did give good protection. So in terms of looks vs function it worked well. Second, it was very easy on and off.

In my case I didn't have to bend back the speedo, but it there wasn't alot of extra room. This was for an '07 so maybe the dimensions have changed.

Brian

Phaedrus #305469 04/17/2009 9:25 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Thanks for that Jeff.

BTW, here's the mounting system the right way up. I just thought I would put it in here for others to have a good look at cos to me this screen look really really good.

And (sorry about punctuation) I have a 17" clearview screen which is good but I can't take it off quick enough if I wanted to. As well as that it's not high enough either (long story).

Staintune Pipes, K&N Pods, 45 pilots, TBS needles and 145 mains.
Stacka #305470 04/18/2009 8:30 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
When you get the numbers for the non-tapered forks would you mind posting them, or at least pm me with them. I've been looking for a quick release shield for awhile now and this one looks like it would work.

Thanks

Jim
KingOfFleece #305471 04/18/2009 9:41 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I've been watching the goings on here because I kind of started this and there is a concern about the straight fork tube. Yesterday I was talking to Steve at National Cycle and my local dealer who was getting me the messurments for the covers that go over the uper-fork tubes. The dealer called Triumph USA, for the specs. and was told, "it's not recommended to mount anything to those covers". Their advice is to take the covers off and mount directly to the fork tube. That's a lot of work taking the triple clamp off and I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with mounting any clamping devices to those covers? Do they crush easily or what? I need to know because I'm still trying to get them to produce a kit that has our name on it, eg. Triumph SM or BA. and list it in their Nation Cycle catalog.
I'll be calling them back again on Monday to see where we are on this, so any feed back on this straight tube thing would be appriciated. At the least; I expect to get better parts like longer bolts on the spider brackets, to make it easer to start the spools on with, the mounting kits #'s listed.
If all else fails I'll get a list of ALL THE PART #"S and supply them to Brent at NEWBONNEVILLE.COM or FAST EDDY, if their interested.

Chip

Chip Sciarra "07" America, N.C.Switch Blade windshield, Moto Lights, Tri. Off Road pipes
Chip #305472 04/18/2009 2:56 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Mounting to the shrouds is fine.

Chip #305473 04/18/2009 3:54 PM
Check Pants
Check Pants
I have my Memphis screen and lowers mounted to the shrouds with no issues. Yes, they dented a bit cause I tightened them pretty good but other than that no issues in 13,000 miles.

SOLD: 07 Black BA, 39mm FCRs, TPUSA stage 1 head, TPUSA 813 cams, TPUSA 10.8:1 pistons, TTP #3 igniter, Specialty Spares Long Cannons, Tsukayu Hard Bags. 82HP/55tq NEW: 19 Goldwing Tour DCT
Zmilin #305474 04/18/2009 8:36 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Thanks Guys, I'll be passing this info on to National Cycle.

Chip Sciarra "07" America, N.C.Switch Blade windshield, Moto Lights, Tri. Off Road pipes
Phaedrus #305475 04/18/2009 8:53 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
I may have missed any reference to height. But in my extensive trials with Memphis, Triumph and Slipstreamer, and interviews with other riders. I have found one consistant. Buffeting occurs when the shield is too low compared to your height. The higher, it is the more it throws the dirty air over your head. the lower it is the dirty air hits your head..buffeting.

Lowers has an effect on the air that comes up under and around the tank and churns the air up more. Lowers do make a difference.

BUT NOTHING, will completely eliminate turbulence.

Slipstreamer Classic screens will work on the 07+ if your not married to and eliminate the shrouds. Doesn't look too weird and they make it in a tall fashion, but your going to be looking through plastic and you will get used to it.

I was close to a fix with Memphis Shades when I lost my supply connection. Slipstreamer had sent me two test screens too. Still trying to reconnect that link.

[color:"blue"] www.fasteddysports.com [/color]
Fasteddy #305476 04/19/2009 7:56 PM
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
I've now ridden about 625 miles with the Switchblade screen and have noticed no problems. No denting of the shrouds. No slipping. I check the torque about once a week on the nuts that tighten the bands that loop around the shrouds, and they have loosened even a bit.

'08 America, AI removed, National Cycle windscreen, bags, tach, dresser bars
Phaedrus #305477 04/19/2009 8:27 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Jeff,

as per our PM's I can't see too much of a problem with buying the bands to fit my shrouds cos any pressure on the screen mountings will be in the first instance on all four bands. Then given they are wound tight around the shrouds and pulled inwards, it would seem to me this would be one really strong anchor point.

Of course if National Cycle haven't done the testing it's obvious they would be reluctant to sell a screen to anyone not aware of this.

Hey, pick me to test it for them on the pre 07 model shrouds, for a fee of course.

Nah, like you Jeff I can't see the screen going anywhere but with the bike down that road

Stacka #305478 04/21/2009 5:18 PM
Complete Newb
Complete Newb
Bump. Does anyone know the part numbers for non-tapered forks? Thanks.

hawkeye #305479 04/21/2009 8:43 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Hi Patrick,

I'm in the middle of finding out from a bloke from National Cycles as I too have the non tapered forks. So I suspect I will know in the next day or so and as soon as I have the numbers I'll pm you and put something up here. I'll also do a sort of summary of what I think after I've had it on for a while.

I do suspect this will be a very nice addition to my bike as having the ability to easilly take off the screen as well as put it back on is just brilliant. I also like the look of them too, but of coarse I need to go a higher screen anyway and killing 2 or 3 birds at once is always one of my aims with this type of purchase.

So if you can wait a couple of days or so I'll hopefully have the info by then and will post it.

cheers

staffo

Zmilin #305480 04/22/2009 7:50 PM
Check Pants
Check Pants
Jeff,
Did you ever get a chance to take the other pic?

Quote:

Jeff,
Almost what I need to see....can you do one like this?
I want to be able to see where the sheild comes down around the headlight to see if itll clear my lightbar.

SOLD: 07 Black BA, 39mm FCRs, TPUSA stage 1 head, TPUSA 813 cams, TPUSA 10.8:1 pistons, TTP #3 igniter, Specialty Spares Long Cannons, Tsukayu Hard Bags. 82HP/55tq NEW: 19 Goldwing Tour DCT
Phaedrus #305481 06/04/2009 6:19 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

I've now ridden about 625 miles with the Switchblade screen and have noticed no problems. No denting of the shrouds. No slipping. I check the torque about once a week on the nuts that tighten the bands that loop around the shrouds, and they have loosened even a bit.

Any chance you know the part #'s of what you Ordered? I have an 08 and would like to go with that setup..

Thanks,
Rich

ArGee 14 Thunderbird LT Wasn't sure if Red or Black was faster, so I got a Red & Black one...
ArGee #305482 06/04/2009 8:27 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
the # for the straight forks is unessasary, the straps in the Q102 mounting kit should fit the bare forks. Talk to Steve Cihlar ext 146 at National Cycle, 866-983-2465. He has all the info.

Chip #305483 06/04/2009 8:43 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
BTW the way I did the R&D on this and put all the #'s together to mount the Switch Blade to our bikes. They won't make a kit because they produce the factory windshield and there is a conflict of interest. I worked with Steve at National Cycle and he was very helpfull. I now have over seven thousand trouble free miles on my windshield and there still isn't a scratch on it. Great product! If anyone needs the part #'s I'll post all I have here for you.

This is a copy of the letter I've been sending to people that are interested.

Windshield # N21101 This is the "Two-Up" model.
Mount kit # Q102
Tapered strap #'s, get two each.
Top # 73 37-370173-000
Bottom # 73 37-371174-000
If you would like anyone of the four (4) different windshields check #'s under the Honda, "Shadow Spirit" 750, line. All of these should fit, but I don't know anyone that has gotten the Deflector yet.
Call National Cycle and talk to Steve Cihlar, at 866-983-2465 EXT 146 and tell him I sent you. That way he'll know how to take the order. In fact, one guy called and asked for the Chip Special and he said he knew what to do. Be sure he knows that you have the tapered forks or give the numbers provided, because he now has the numbers for the straight forks too.
You wont be disappointed this is a grate product.I have seven thousand miles on mine and not a scratch yet. I use Plexus to clean it and it helps the water roll right off. Do not use alcohol based cleaners or it will craze the polycarbonate.
If you have a hard time getting the bolts to come through the cups on installation, pre-bend the straps a little. Personally I used a 6 mm x 1 threaded, plane nut to pull them up high enough to start one of the spools and then I removed it and put the other spool on. You'll understand this more when you have all the parts in your hand. It only takes about 25 to 30 minutes to get the mounting kit on and 5 seconds to put the windshield on. Good luck and let me know how you make out. Highly advised to use a torque wrench, and follow the instructions.

Chip

Since making these instructions there is a concern that has popped up. If you have the Triumph dresser bar, either the square one or the triangle one, and you intend to get National Cycle's lowers that attach to the windshield mounts, they hit the bars. I just found this out last week when I put my new bars on. Personally, I have removed the lowers for the summer and will remove the Crash/ Dresser bars in the fall when I put the lowers back on. The lowers are very effective at deflecting the air that hits your legs and comes up around the tank. They allow comfortable riding well into the colder months of the year if your interested.
BTW., the Spider Brackets that come with the lowers are longer and eliminate the problem of starting the Spools on the bolt threads that come through the cups. I intend to get that part # from Steve tomorrow, May 18th, when I talk to him. If your interested in that #, I should have it Tuesday. Spider bracket # is 370-161.
Also, I turned the bottom spool around so that the thin side is in. This differs from the instructions and is the only thing I did different from the instructions. Some guys didn't do that and said they had no problem tweaking the windshield gussets mating to the mounting spools. I did it because it basically nullifies the taper of the forks and the windshield lined right up that way. I was the first one to get all the parts together to put the Switch Blade system on our bikes and didn't have the experience of others, so it's to your benefit to know all the things. This windshield makes riding over 55 MPH a real pleasure and will change your riding experience. No more hanging on to the bars to stay on the bike and no buffeting of your head. You'll be able to look in the mirrors and see what's behind you and most of all, relax and enjoy the ride.

Chip #305484 06/04/2009 11:00 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Awesome info, Thanks much!! I'll be ordering the 'Chip Special' in the morning

Rich

ArGee 14 Thunderbird LT Wasn't sure if Red or Black was faster, so I got a Red & Black one...
Phaedrus #305485 06/04/2009 11:02 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I have no idea who makes my windscreen but I have come to like it a bit. It is a simple unit that connects to the handle bars. It arcs over the headlamp and provides a nice bit of break from the wind but my head is well above it. It tapers a bit in on both sides at the top. It must be a universal screen for any bike as mounting is very simple yet it stays put once tightend down.

05 BA, Goodwood Green, Chevy605 pipes , ai removed, Freak kit, K&N pods, 145 main/42 pilot / 3 turns out, bags and screen
Chip #305486 06/08/2009 12:04 PM
Complete Newb
Complete Newb
Hi Chip,
New guy here. Just bought an '03 America 3 weeks ago and falling in love with riding all over again. (20 years since I owned a bike). I'm looking into a windscreen and looked on National Cycle's wepsite at the Swithblades. They are now showing a "new" chopped version of the "two-up" which is 4 to 5 inches shorter. Does anyone have experience with this screen? I'm short 5'6" and this might work better for me. Also what about the other models of the swithblade screens?? Thanks for any suggestions. Do you happen to know offhand if the '03 America's have the tapered or non-tapered forks? Thanks.

Tim.

blinduck #305487 06/16/2009 8:11 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
On an 03, you should have the non-tapered forks...

Just finished installing my 2-up swithcblade, other than the issue with getting the spools started (frickin' bolts on the spider need to be about 1/4" longer) it was really a peice of cake..

ArGee #305488 06/17/2009 12:15 PM
moe Offline
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
2007 America Changes:
* Increased engine capacity from 790cc to 865cc (55.00 HP, 69.00 Nm)
* Reverse cone silencers
* New cast wheels
* Adjustable clutch and front brake levers
* Black engine with chromed covers
* Restyled chain cover, pillion footrest hanger and upper fork shrouds
* Revised, more comfortable pillion seat

Blowing gravel off rural roads
moe #305489 06/20/2009 12:28 PM
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Here's that pic, finally.

[image]http://[/image]

'08 America, AI removed, National Cycle windscreen, bags, tach, dresser bars
Salesman #305490 06/24/2009 3:38 AM
Quote:

'Decided to get the $80 screen from (gulp) JC Whitney to see how it worked until I could assemble enough information to make an intelligent decision as to what to get - I had not as yet discovered this website.

May I ask which screen/kit you bought from JC Whitney? I'm trying to decide based on this discussion, looks like several good options.

Do you think any issue with an '08 America?

Thanks
CHUCK

-- RIDE ON -- 2008 America Two-Tone Blue-on-Blue Pictures: http://www.bikebook.ca/bike/v/user/chuckkluz/
Chip #305491 06/24/2009 3:40 AM
Chip,

Thanks for all the great info and work on this. Could you please share cost of entire kit and shield from National Cycle?

Thanks
CHUCK

-- RIDE ON -- 2008 America Two-Tone Blue-on-Blue Pictures: http://www.bikebook.ca/bike/v/user/chuckkluz/
chuckles #305492 06/25/2009 11:56 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I got the full setup from National Cycle, was a little over $420 with shipping etc.. I think you could knock off a bit if you got the windshield and the quick mount kit elsewhere as I did find other retialers selling them for less but I couldn't find anyone else with the brackets. I ended up spending a little more for the one stop convieniance of getting it all from National Cycle.

It really is a nice setup.

ArGee #305493 06/25/2009 5:19 PM
Check Pants
Check Pants
Whoah, that's out my range. My removable Memphis Shades was $250 shipped from CruiserCustomizing.com. They make a quick release now, I believe that hardware isn't much more than I paid.

Quote:

I got the full setup from National Cycle, was a little over $420 with shipping etc.. I think you could knock off a bit if you got the windshield and the quick mount kit elsewhere as I did find other retialers selling them for less but I couldn't find anyone else with the brackets. I ended up spending a little more for the one stop convieniance of getting it all from National Cycle.

It really is a nice setup.

Al
ssjones #305494 06/25/2009 6:39 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
I agree, $420USD is a lot of coin and for me they are not worth that sort of money.

It's a shame really but in the current financial climate, we as the consumer can be just a little bit more picky than a couple of years ago.

ArGee #305495 06/25/2009 11:03 PM
I thought this was a cheaper alternative to Triumph part. Oh well. Triumph Roadster screen is about $390 anyway - but not quick release. A ClearView is $180, plus whatever Triumph brackets cost (anyone price those?), likewise not quick release.

Thanks for sharing.
CHUCK

Stacka #305496 06/25/2009 11:06 PM
Which Memphis Shade model do you buy that is compatible with an '08 America, if you know?
Thanks
CHUCK

chuckles #305497 06/26/2009 6:02 PM
Oil Expert
Oil Expert
Chuck, just for the record. There are not too many who are happy with the Triumph screens cos they are too low and basically all they do is direct the head wind straight into your face. this turbulance is probably even worse than not having a screen at all. Clearview screen though are a good alternative and I suggest if you do go down that path you look at there sizing calculator to ensure you end up buying the correct height screen.

chuckles #305498 06/26/2009 9:02 PM
Check Pants
Check Pants
Oh yeah, now that's a problem. If the National Cycles items works on the 08's, that might be the only solution. The factory screen costs that much anyway and doesn't offer nearly that convenience.
Quote:

Which Memphis Shade model do you buy that is compatible with an '08 America, if you know?
Thanks
CHUCK

Al
ssjones #305499 07/08/2009 7:59 AM
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
I just bought a used Roadster screen and was wondering if anyone might have the installation instructions?

I know it's probably pretty simple, but I don't want to put something on backwards.

Thanks in advance.

rorca #305500 07/08/2009 8:14 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I just removed the Roadster screen that was on the 03 SM that I just got. Fairly simple install....

Its listed in the Classified section....If anyone is looking for one..... Make Offer...

Troy
chuckles #305501 07/11/2009 10:38 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Quote:

A ClearView is $180, plus whatever Triumph brackets cost (anyone price those)CHUCK

Heres some info I got from Hermys last summer

"Here are all the pieces you will need and the prices. The upper mounting parts are all together in part number A9918018, this part costs $78.79, the lower brackets are part numbers A9733489 and A9733490, they are $8.76 a piece. You will also need 2 of A9910148 at $1.56 each (Bolts) and 2 of 3350004-T0301 at $2.03 (Locknuts). That would be all the pieces you need to install the screen."

Erwin 05 America
Erwin #305502 07/11/2009 9:27 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
The Clearview with the Triumph brackets is better than any windshield you can buy at any price for our bikes. I tried 4 different windshields for my America and ended up working with Clearview on designing the perfect shield that still looked sporty and came up with the Summer Screen replacement.

My bike is the Mulberry/Graphite America on their website showing the Summer Screen replacement. Trust me you will NOT be disappointed if you get one. It looks better than the Triumph one, actually works, and is far better quality.

I was not paid nor did I get any discount for this endorsement.

Bob 2005 America, 904cc - sold. 2014 Trophy SE.
Phaedrus #305503 10/06/2009 10:39 PM
Complete Newb
Complete Newb
Hi, which mounting hardware did you use?

Thanks,

Sean

crewman #305504 10/07/2009 12:18 AM
Stickman Yogi
Stickman Yogi
Quote:

Thanks,

Sean

It woulda been the Triumph Roadster or Summer Screen hardware. Clearview does either one.

Live to love, love to live.
crewman #305505 10/07/2009 12:21 AM
Check Pants
Check Pants
Quote:

Thanks,

Sean

Thats pic that Phaedrus posted is of a Natl Cycle sheild....look in the tech vault, everything you need to know has been stickied in there.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dinqua, freedom, moe 

Link Copied to Clipboard