Print Thread
Kudos for Bub Enterprises
#12970 05/20/2005 6:32 PM
roadie Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Thinkin about getting some after market exhausts? Consider this:

I've got a pair of Bub Slashcuts. They look good, sound decent, don't require rejetting, and seem to add a little more go power to our bikes. My sole complaint is - and I realize it's purely subjective - that I think they're a bit loud.

I called the Bub factory yesterday to find out whether we could get quieter baffles for their TBA slip-ons.

No joy. But. The gal I spoke with said she'd ask around and see if they made anything that might work. Low and behold she called back this morning. Told me I could remove my baffles, wrap them in fiberglass insulation, wrap that with mechanic's wire and that should dampen the noise a bit.

Nice to run into a company that makes an effort for its customers. Says something about their products.

roadie

John 3:16
let's ride...

1969 Triumph Trophy 500
2004 America
2010 America
Re: Kudos for Bub Enterprises
roadie #12971 05/20/2005 6:36 PM
Should be Riding
Should be Riding
Quote:

Nice to run into a company that makes an effort for its customers. Says something about their products.

That is awesome! Too bad it seems to be a rare thing anymore. But it does make some companies stand out more and want to do business with them.

Soren

roadie #12972 05/21/2005 2:42 AM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
Look at it this way, Ichose to put on hte bub dresser dogs cause I didnt want slash cuts like everyone else, but go further back, why did I even concider bubs?.....

Well I had a buddy who put on a bub 2-1 dresser dog on his 1100 V-Star. it sounded great! I almost bought a v-star and had a few friends w/ cobras and the like,,, but none sounded as good as the bubs.

they arent too loud at idle, they bark when you want them to, and they dont kill your ears.

Im thinking of pulling the baffels and cutting 1/2 of them off and seeing the differance (w/ some of the fiberglass wrap).

bubs are great. IMHO

Mal: "Y'all see the man hanging out of the spaceship with the really big gun?{ref, Jayne} Man's lookin' to kill some folk. So really, it's his will y'all should worry about thwarting."
beamer #12973 05/22/2005 4:29 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Too bad they stopped making them for our bikes.

John Like a dog on a car ride with my tongue in the wind
roadie #12974 05/23/2005 10:32 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
roadie,

Yeah, - been there done that.

Here's what I did with my Bub's (when I had them). When I first got them, they were LOUD. A bit too loud for my taste. They had a kind of "metallic crack" to them. Well, my wife threw a hissy-fit, - so, after speaking with Rocky at Bub Enterprises about it he told me to wrap the inner baffle with fiberglass muffler packing-material. So, I did it. Well, that toned it down a bit, but after awhile the fibers would blow out and I'd be back to the "metallic crack" again. My final solution was to get some really strong fiberglass, wrap it really tight around the inner baffle, then wrap 1/4" hardware cloth around the fiberglass (to keep it in place). Then, I installed a small reducer at the exit point (notice the picture below). This is just my opinion, - but I think the resulting exhaust note is outstanding. In fact, my neighbor did back-flips over the sound of my Speedy.

Since then I've bought the Staintune-Slashcuts. They sound perfect.

-BT

"Speedmaster" is a title not a name, - and the title is not plural.
BikerThug #12975 05/23/2005 11:43 PM
roadie Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Thanks BT - I was wondering if anyone had experience with the baffle re-wrap and how it turned out. Sounds like it's doable. My ears hear the same kind of metallic bite you mentioned. I've put the stockers back on to tone down the noise. And now I daydream about putting the Bubs back on. For the power.

It seems to me that the Bubs make a bunch of it. At least that's what my trusty seat o'the pants dyno says. I remember a post back on the old forum from somebody who'd dyno'ed with their Bubs made about 62+ HP, over the stock 54. Impressive.

Then I think about the noise...

let's ride...

1969 Triumph Trophy 500
2004 America
2010 America
roadie #12976 05/24/2005 5:10 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Would have to agree would not see the packed baffles lasting, and will most prob need repacking after time. if they are a bit loud have a think about the staintunes these are great, a great Triumph sound for sure and well loud enough to get attension but not to loud as to make your ears ring every time you get of your bike. great workmanship to. ask anyone who has them and im sure there tell you the same. just right for the TBA or Speedy

herbz
roadie #12977 05/24/2005 2:29 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I have a set of Bub slash cuts that hurt my ears when new, they tone down quite a bit after use as they carbon up, as stated by Bub.
Service was great, one of my pipes had a scratch and they replaced it no problem. All done over the phone and with digital photos. They had me send them a pic that I had destroyed the defective pipe so I would not have to send it back across the border and paid for shipping on the new pipe, all this only took a week.
Got 62hp from 50hp stock, and 64hp after bumping up one jet size and one shim by the shop.

Jake #12978 05/25/2005 1:21 AM
roadie Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Jake - that's impressive. No wonder I kept hitting the rev limiter when the Bubs were on.

Maybe its time to reinstall...

let's ride...

1969 Triumph Trophy 500
2004 America
2010 America
herbz #12979 05/25/2005 1:23 AM
roadie Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Herbz - I spent some time on the Staintune website. Very cool. Doubt I can slip the purchase price by the wife, though...
Hmmm.

let's ride...

1969 Triumph Trophy 500
2004 America
2010 America
roadie #12980 05/25/2005 8:56 AM
Loquacious
Loquacious
roadie, I have to agree with Jake, mine mellowed with age too, hmmmm, wonder if they have charred oak liners (grin)!! Of course, when I open the throttle past halfway, they remind me that they aren't TOO mellow, especially in combination with the gutted airbox. And since I threw on the 18t sprocket, highway speed is a bit mellower since the engine is turning a tad slower. Still have the earplugs I'm going to try out for the really long rides though, just in case...

And they stepped up to the plate with me as well when I complained about rusty welds on the hanger brackets.

Moderated by  Dinqua, freedom, moe 

Link Copied to Clipboard