GaRally22
by chy, September 18
Thread Like Summary
Erwin
Original Post (Thread Starter)
poilot screw adjustment #598948 01/04/2020 9:28 PM
by philwarner
philwarner
I recently bought a Tecmate Carbmate and was checking the carb balance on my 04 America and forgot where the synchronization screw was so I went to you tube. There I ran across this guy working on an 02 America and saying that if the idle speeds up when you choke a warm engine, then the idle is set too lean. He kept turning out the pilot screws until I think he got to 7 turns out and his butt dino ride told him this was about right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF8DcQwDyA0

So...is the idea that choking a warm engine should not increase the idle speed valid? Is 7 turns out on the pilot screws in an acceptable setting?

My manual says pilot screws should be 1-1/2 turns out and if I remember correctly folks here have said 3 turns out is normal. I believe I set mine 2 turns out back in 2012 when I balanced the carbs with a home made manometer.

BTW, the Carbmate indicated that my carbs were still well balanced almost 8 years later - a tribute to the America's design.
Liked Replies
Re: poilot screw adjustment #598949 Jan 5th a 04:49 PM
by The_Dog33
The_Dog33
He is an idiot. Pilot screw should be between 1 1/2 and 3 turns out. Any more than 3 turns and you need a larger jet. To adjust properly disconnect one spark plug lead and ground. Turn the idle up just enough to idle on one cylinder.Turn the screw in for the cylinder still connected until it runs rough then back out until it runs rough counting the turns between the 2 points. The correct setting is about 1/2 way between the 2. Repeat for the other side. then reset the idle once both plugs are connected.
1 member likes this