Next Thread
Print Thread
Specialty Spares How Loud is Loud
#7095 03/21/2005 6:20 PM
TBANGA Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Hey Guys, I'm hoping to buy some pipes from Dale this week. The one question I have is how loud is loud? I'm not going to lie to you, I miss my old Harley with straight drag pipes. I'm just obnoxious like that I guess.

Running them without the baffles is not recommended as you would loose a lot of low-end torque. And there is simply no way in the world I'm dropping $700 for a set of scepter steel pipes.

So, any input?

"I am what I am, and that's all that I am."
Re: Specialty Spares How Loud is Loud
TBANGA #7096 03/21/2005 7:21 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand
My sceptres are sitting, waiting to be installed as I type this. I can't wait to get home, so I can put them on. I agree they are pricey, but they look great! And I'm sure they will sound even better. I guess I actually have nothing to offer here. I'm just bragging about my birthday present!

Learning from my mistakes... again and again.
nuthin #7097 03/21/2005 7:46 PM
Complete Newb
Complete Newb
THE SSpares are louder than stock pipes with baffles in.There is no way they will be as loud as your HOG was with straight pipes.

TBANGA #7098 03/21/2005 10:13 PM
Check Pants
Check Pants
I have the SS long cannons. To me, the sound is just right maybe just past the "too loud for me" side. (if that makes any sense) Nice deep rumble, the deepest I've heard from a Triumph. You can either remove the packing from the baffles (unwrap some fiberglass) or remove the baffles completely if you really want some noise. I'm very pleased. With the jet kit Dale supplies, the pipes really open this bike up. I had a set of long off-road pipes previously, no comparison to those pipes in sound or performance.

Al
ssjones #7099 03/22/2005 10:49 AM
TBANGA Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
You know I'm just looking for something to compete with. I tend to ride with a bunch of Harley guys. They all have the screamin' eagles. Between the full face helmet and their exhaust notes, I can't hear my bike, and I've got the first baffle completely removed and three holes in the second.

Thanks for the input and congrats on the birthday present Nuthin!

TBANGA #7100 03/22/2005 12:10 PM
In regard to making more noise, the cheapest way is to do the Dinqua mod. to your stock pipes. There are several aftermarket baffles available. I originally used Samson baffles but am fixing to change to Hard Krome spiral type. I have replaced the airbox (after trying the Freak) and installed 135 main jets. No carb problems to date and more noise than I really want. The good thing about modifyling the stock pipes is tunability. Different size flat washers in the end will make a noticeable difference in sound and performance. If you have access to a mig welder the job is quite simple. Without the baffles you can blow the windows out of your neighbors house, but there needs to be some restriction for optimum results. I believe the exhaust gases need to have some sort of interruption to increase flow. Someone once posted (on the old board) a recommendation of having some sort of restriction at least 20 or so inches from the cylider header connection. I haven't been able to find this info again. I'm thinking the best way to do this is to drill through the muffler about 2" aft of the header pipe connection and install a 1/4" dia. bolt or rod through the diameter of the muffler. This should create a swirling effect of the exhaust gases. I'm gonna try this step next..will report my findings. If anyone is interested, I have a set of Samson slash cut mufflers for $150 + shipping. They sound great but are a little too loud for me.

miles & miles of Texas... TM
TBANGA #7101 03/22/2005 1:07 PM
Complete Newb
Complete Newb
I've had my SSpares long slash pipes on for about a week. With the re-jet the beast is a new machine. My opinion they have the right amont of "attitude" in their loudness. When you pass people they will not be thinking 'what a jerk' as I sometimes do with the Harley boys.

TBANGA #7102 03/22/2005 1:08 PM
Old Hand
Old Hand
If the SS pipes are like my Epcos, they are just right with the baffles in.

Let's hope there's intelligent life somewhere in space 'cause it's buggar all down here. -- Monte Python
TBANGA #7103 03/22/2005 1:11 PM
Old Hand
Old Hand
Quote:

You know I'm just looking for something to compete with. I tend to ride with a bunch of Harley guys. They all have the screamin' eagles. Between the full face helmet and their exhaust notes, I can't hear my bike, and I've got the first baffle completely removed and three holes in the second.

Thanks for the input and congrats on the birthday present Nuthin!

My OL has a hotrod 1200 piglet with no guts in the pipes. She was having a problem with it one day so I rode it back and, even having to keep the revs up, I could still hear the Triumph just fine.

Let's hope there's intelligent life somewhere in space 'cause it's buggar all down here. -- Monte Python
Greybeard #7104 03/22/2005 2:52 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
There is an effect called scavenging where the exhaust pulse runs down the pipe, hits a restriction, and bounces back to the exhaust port, which helps evacuate the cylinder, and thus help suck in more mix on the intake stroke. The exhaust system needs to be tuned, i.e. lengthened or shortened, so the whole thing works in the most efficient way. I don't know if Triumph has engineered their pipes to use this effect, but it's something to consider when chopping up your stock pipes. You might get more sound, but you could actually be hurting the power.

I suspect the Thunderpipes use this method as a basis for their claims of increased horsepower.

John

I was born a long ways from where I was supposed to be. - Bob Dylan
Cody #7105 03/22/2005 3:07 PM
TBANGA Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Wow, we're getting WAY above my technical level. I've hear the Triumph OR's and I just want to make sure that they are louder than that!

I ordered the Long Cannons from Dale about 10 minutes ago. Should be here in about a week. I've ordered them un-plated and am taking them down to Performance coatings to have them ceramic coated in flat black along with my blued out headers. Should be way cool. Worried about the re-jet though, but should be a hoot!

nuthin #7106 03/22/2005 6:53 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Quote:

My sceptres are sitting, waiting to be installed as I type this. I can't wait to get home, so I can put them on. I agree they are pricey, but they look great! And I'm sure they will sound even better. I guess I actually have nothing to offer here. I'm just bragging about my birthday present!

Happy Birthday Nuthin, I have been wanting to hear a set of Sceptres for a long time! You'll have to run her by and let me hear them!!! I Bet they're COOL sounding. Sceptres was my first choice for sure but my rich uncle is still in the poor house. Take care Tmax

"Will Ride or Fly for food"
TBANGA #7107 03/22/2005 8:48 PM
Check Pants
Check Pants
They're probably similar to Screamin Eagle pipes. Vance & Hines are louder, even with baffles in place.

Al
Cody #7108 03/22/2005 8:53 PM
Check Pants
Check Pants
I saw what you are describing on a recent American Thunder or Corbin's "Ride On". Probably anytime you make it louder, you are probably hurting performance somewhat, guess the rejet compensates in that area.

Al
ssjones #7109 03/23/2005 11:39 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Well, This thread convinced me to get the SS's. I like the cannons but my 18yr old says the slash flows better w/the bike??? Think I'll place an order tomorrow since all it does is rain here in cincinnati.

I noticed my bike whistling alot since I did the AI removal. Hopefully these pipes and rejet will change that or at least cover up the sound.

--------------------- - 2007 Triumph Tiger - 1982 Yamaha xj650 Magnum - Previous 2004 Triumph America - Previous 1973 Triumph Bonneville T140V 750cc
dmillikan #7110 03/23/2005 11:44 PM
Check Pants
Check Pants
All you will hear is rumbling! Sure you didn't leave a hose or wire hanging out to catch the wind? Sounds a little strange.

Al
ssjones #7111 03/24/2005 9:54 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
I certainly don't hear rumbling. Maybe whistle isn't a good description. Around 3300rpm, just a high pitch sound. I need to drive it a bit more when the weather clears and investigate. In the "Air injection" removal download, it mentions the "sound of air moving through the air valves makes a noticeable whistling sound". I would have thought that went away with the AI removed.

Anyway I am ordering the SS's anyway. I liked the looks on your your bike, ssjones, and the comments on how they sounded.

--------------------- - 2007 Triumph Tiger - 1982 Yamaha xj650 Magnum - Previous 2004 Triumph America - Previous 1973 Triumph Bonneville T140V 750cc
dmillikan #7112 03/24/2005 4:34 PM
Check Pants
Check Pants
I have a sound clip on SS pipes if you want a copy.

Did you remove the box under the tank? If not, that might be making the noise. I pulled all the guts to my AI but kept everything in case it was needed at a later date.

Al
ssjones #7113 03/24/2005 9:25 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Sound clip would have been nice but I ordered the SS Slash today. Thanks for the offer. I also pulled everything for the AI but I will recheck since it was done around Christmas and I can't remember everything I did.

HELL FURY of Specialty Spares!
TBANGA #7114 03/25/2005 7:59 AM
I once posted that these pipes unleashed the HELL FURY of my Triumph!
I have the long Specialty Spares & I F-IN love them!
I have removed the packing from my baffles & they sound raspy deep & kind of loud, like an old school Triumph should.
O-but Take the baffles out & LOOK OUT they WILL scare little children.

I had an HD w/2" long drags & it NEVER sounded like this.
They are the deepest sound U will ever hear come out of any bike.
I can only compare the sound to a small block 350 w/a strange sub sonic low end...sort of like Satin is coming down the street!

When removed (baffles), I lower my idle to get the slow (header or HD) sloppy, slap cam sound w/these pipes.
When I heard that sound, I had a smile that wouldn’t come off my face.
I thought WOW that’s sick...do I dare take it to the gas station? O-yea!

Note: With out your baffles in place, U will loose some back pressure so don't do any serious hauls w/o them.
Mine come out when I go to the local "bike night" or car shows because I can get away w/it there.

More Pro's:
*Easy one alen screw baffle removal is also nice.
*They come w/a set of jets that were a PERFECT upgrade for our bikes & simple to install.

It's tough to keep it cool & it doesn’t help people ask me to rev it all the time!
I get to hear, "WOW, U have 2 hear this Triumph, it sounds sick!"

Gary James

Re: HELL FURY of Specialty Spares!
GaryJames #7115 03/25/2005 8:51 AM
Check Pants
Check Pants
Gary:
Might have to pull my baffles occasionally this season, scare my HD buddies (and the wife!)

Al
GaryJames #7116 03/30/2005 11:05 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Wow Received the SS long slashes and installed them this evening. I had no idea they would sound so nice. Took six days to arrive..thought that was pretty good considering no shipping $.

Only installation trouble was getting the brackets off the original pipes. The nut inside the pipes attached to the allen head screw kept spinning. I had to saber off one bolt on each bracket. The bolts will have to be drilled out if I ever want to put the old ones back on.

Ramblings: Probably won't rejet but will give it some thought based on everything I read in this forum. It's been a good bike week since I finally got my Ohio tags after almost a year of riding on 30day outofstate tags. Dang sales taxes. So winter was good for the bike and I am set for summer...new bags, brackets, AI removed, windshield installed, and new pipes. I'd love to more challenging modes (as many do here) but I think I'll just enjoy my bike till winter again.

Oh yeah, kind of worried about waking up my neighbor early morning tomorrow as I leave to work. hum.

oh well, yeeha!

dmillikan #7117 03/30/2005 11:36 PM
Check Pants
Check Pants
Glad it worked out. Starting my bike still puts a smile on my face every time!
I had the same problem with my pipes. I got my neighbor to put a tack weld on the stuck fastener which allowed me to remove the nut. (I had already sold my pipes to another list member or I would have hacksawed as well)
Seriously consider rejetting. The jet kit SS supplied fit my bike/location perfectly. The bike feels much stronger, even though I had rejetted for the long off-roads that came with my bike. I also put on stainless fasteners, happened to have the right size in my box.
Be careful scaring the kids! I kept going out side on Sat/Sun afternoon, starting the bike and revving (during the winter months on days I coudn't ride). Wife reminded me the house across the street has three infants that nap in the afternoon, whoops!

Al
dmillikan #7118 03/30/2005 11:39 PM
TBANGA Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Hey Millikan,

Can you let me know about you're re-jet? I just started mine with the SS LongCannon's as well and I can't believe how much better she started and idled. She never ran like that before, I'm wondering if the new pipes were the right fix, or if re-jetting would make it that much better?

Could you let me know how yours rides tomorrow?

TBANGA #7119 03/31/2005 7:17 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Yep, I need to find a re-jet kit. New Pipes are fantastic...though there is a fair amount of popping on decel...thus the need for re-jet i suppose.

Problems? Almost to loud for the office parking garage...also, my buddy called me and said he could hear me leaving work (that's not good).

I wear a fullface helmet and it is very loud cruising...somewhat quieter with shield up. Although I've never ridden a HD, I suppose they are louder.

Still wonder how many neighbors I woke up at 5am this morning!!

dmillikan #7120 03/31/2005 11:18 PM
Check Pants
Check Pants
The Specialty Spares pipes are supposed to come with a jet kit. Mine was missing, so I called Dale and he mailed them out. Make sure he knows your altitude for the correct jets. (I rec'd 132.5 main and 45 pilots)

Al
ssjones #7121 04/01/2005 10:09 AM
TBANGA Offline OP
Adjunct
OP Offline
Adjunct
Thanks D,

That answers that question. I've got my headers off and am dropping them and the LongCannons off this afternoon for ceramic coating. I've got about a week to wait to get them back. The question is do I go ahead and re-jet while the pipes are off or wait until I get them back on.

The nerves of a fledging garage mechanic. Everyone in here says re-jetting isn't that tough, but it looks pretty intimitdating!

GaryJames #7122 05/11/2005 7:38 AM
Check Pants
Check Pants
Gary:
Pulled my baffles last night just for fun. Holy S! Scared most of my neighbors, saw lots of unhappy faces as I rode out of the garage (warm evening, everyone is out). Best of all, I scared a little girl walking with her mom - ran back to mom, hid behind her legs and appeared to be crying. I was barely over idle at that point, knowing I was offending everyone within earshot. Wife heard me two streets over and also wasn't pleased. Slipped the baffles back in on the return, but it's nice to know a lion can be unleashed by removing two screws!

Al
ssjones #7123 05/11/2005 8:19 AM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Al, did you rap them up? Did you at least do a good 0-80? I smile huge just thinking about it.

With the way my baffles are now, they are pretty ****** loud... but not the same as the no baffle routine. No baffles just sounds incredible.

04 America SS Pipes, Airbox Mod, 132/45, TBS Needles
dmillikan #7124 05/11/2005 12:26 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Quote:

Only installation trouble was getting the brackets off the original pipes. The nut inside the pipes attached to the allen head screw kept spinning. I had to saber off one bolt on each bracket. The bolts will have to be drilled out if I ever want to put the old ones back on.

The spinning nuts have been a problem for just about everyone who's tried to remove them. Here's what worked for me and saved having to cut, drill or trash the original silencers.

Once the nut began to turn, I soldered it to the silencer. I did this using standard leaded solder and a Bernzamatic (sp) torch. The nuts held fast and bolt removal went well. Because the solder job was a little sloppy because it was done blind in a couple of cases, and because I don't know how the leaded solder will hold up, I plan to redo using silver solder at some later date. In any case, the soldering worked and I was able the remove the bolts. It seems the nuts (I won't even call them nuts)- The retainers are pressed into or crimped into the silencers, There appeared to be some sort of thread sealant on the bolts that was hardened. I replaced the bolts and anti-seized the crap out of the before re-inserting. After about 1000 mi. I checked to see if they were still loose enough to remove and if the retainers were holding - all seems ok.

ssjones #7125 05/11/2005 2:46 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Wow Al, you're a regular Troll, scaring small children and all!! Probably eat puppies for snacks...

ssjones #7126 05/12/2005 3:45 PM
Old Hand
Old Hand
I really like the sound of my Epco pipes while riding, but the best part is when I start it. The first time the bike fires, it sounds like a .44 magnum going off and all the "homies" for 5 blocks duck for cover.

Greybeard #7127 05/12/2005 5:46 PM
Big Bore
Big Bore
I agree GB. I love the sound of the Epcos on the road and especially that deep bell-like tone at idle.

On startup, mine sounds a .45ACP. I need to work on that magnum version!

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity" - Robert Heinlein
TBANGA #7128 05/15/2005 11:47 PM
Loquacious
Loquacious
Hi TBANGA,
I removed my rear plate and the next baffle in, from stock Speedmaster pipes. Then I drilled a 3/4" hole in all baffle plates. I consider it loud, but can't hear anything next to Harleys with Thunderheaders or similar pipes. Thunderheaders are very deep in tone, but not as loud as drag pipes like Cobra, etc. If ThunderHeaders were made for Triumph Americas (TAMS), I'd buy a set today, even though my bride keeps our Ccards maxt out.
Ride Safe,
Dennis

Ride Safe, Dennis Triumph, it's how I live and what I ride.
Cody #7129 05/20/2005 9:45 PM
I installed a set of Specialty Spares slash cuts about a month ago on on my 2003 BAM, and for my money, they're perfect. A great idle sound, really deep and throaty especially if you stand behind the bike, and not too loud on the road, and it runs great. The HP improvement was noticeable right off the bat. I used Pat Whitbeck's webpage for guidance on re-jetting, and the bike runs like a raped ape now. Short of a big bore kit, I can't imagine what else I'd do to it.
Yeah, I run into a lot of Hog riders that are louder. It's ok with me, because I don't have to compensate for a small package, if you catch my drift. It's about the ride, not the noise, right?

Man, if I knew anything, I'd be rich and famous...
kileface #7130 06/05/2005 9:44 PM
Adjunct
Adjunct
Hello,
Decided to get rid of all the POP's on decel since i installed my SS's a month ago.

Where would I find Pat Whitbeck's webpage?

Last edited by dmillikan; 06/05/2005 9:46 PM.

dmillikan #7131 06/05/2005 11:39 PM
Learned Hand
Learned Hand

Moderated by  bennybmn, chy 

Link Copied to Clipboard