Quote:

Even English sovereigns spelled their names and words differently in private papers and official letters. Queen Elizabeth I constantly spelled her name differently. I imagine it was the transitions from Old English to Middle English ( The Canterbury Tales ) to New English.

Speech dialects are regional in America and England, but the spelling is standard all over. For example, in Boston, "I lost my khakis" means car keys are missing, for the rest of us trousers are missing.

Slight correction to follow here, Mac.

In BOSTON, this would mean their "CAH keys" are missing.

Remember here: Bostonians never pronounce their 'R's where they should, but they WILL pronounce the "Rhotic-R" sound in a word such as "saw". They'll pronounce it as "sar".

I know, weird as hell, isn't it?!

(...btw, and re all this...I heard or read somewhere recently that during a recently taken poll, SOMEHOW the Boston accent was deemed "the most sexy" American accent...and, just wanna say here, I have NO freakin' idea how THAT could be!)

Yep! Just like a good Single Malt Scotch, you might call me "an acquired taste" TOO.(among the many OTHER things you may care to call me, of course)